Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

nty

I have no idea what that means Shrimp-kun, but I do suppose there are many ways of saying hell fucking yes.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

nah, i prefer Witches

Not enough suffering/too light a take on witches for you though.😛

-Was reminded of these games yesterday, did a very cursory glance over the unpopular opinion topic and saw talk about some Engage characters I haven't met. Recurring baddies, generic central plot, the recurring foes surprise! turn out to be good guys (who never tried to calmly and slowly explain themselves)? "Fire Arc", "Luminous Emblem"?😝 -Or perhaps even "Stella Engage", given what I've heard secondhand of that spiritual successor to the LAs?

Perhaps treating the latest FE entry as in such a vein (but with presumably hopefully better gameplay than Imageepoch's pretty basic SRPGs), would set my expectations properly.🙃

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How apropos when it comes to the conversation because the nun in Luminous Arc 1 turns out to actually be the witch of twilight and…and…

They…they betrayed me…and I still had to save their worthless asses in the end…damn you Steiner…!!!

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

5ehXMUl.jpg

Dat was ez

hK8UdGy.jpg

GV getting tentacl'd

y4PIia4.jpg

Time for the bad end?

U61IEYn.jpg

Pro tip: Don't go into the "final boss" with an item that reduces your hp lol

8ZLHCAC.jpg

Rip

Hepxu0s.jpg
For me?

0u7u4i8.jpg

Can i have F in the chat lads?

k5owP6t.jpg

The sprites make it seem romantic ngl

PRpVVit.jpg

Bad end get?

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

So, now that I'm done literally enacting the "I'm a healer, but" meme, let's do something else.

Suikoden 2! Yeah, I'm giving up on Suiko 1 already. Look, I don't know, a game that I can play on permanent speed-up for almost 4 hours out of 20 and has a script that feels like it was written by a 10 year old... Bleh. I have low hopes that this will be any different, because again, this series being mindnumbingly easy is a complaint only the most hardcore, dedicated (nostalgia-blind?) fans of the series will dispute, and I've seen bits of Suiko 2 and the script also reeks of "old transliteration." But well, half the fanbase also says "just skip 1 lol" so perhaps 2's improvements will truly make a difference.

The biggest argument for 1 I've seen is "if you don't play 1, you won't have as many feelings for the returning characters!" but honestly, the script of 1 is so utterly deplorable that I really don't think that was going to happen either way.

I can say, the intro FMV is already better. In Suiko 1 it was just... random snippets of gameplay. Here it's an actual intro that looks cool. Hurray.

15 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

i shall still gracefully accept it!

Luminous.Arc.2.600.235101.jpg

-All ingame pics, but they're not "real" in the sense that the ladies ever actually wear wedding gowns. Althea has two of these b/c lead heroine witch gets a midgame plot upgrade from Ember to White Flame, with a wardrobe change.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

U61IEYn.jpg

Does Dragon assimilating Butterfly Girl = Dragonfly?

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Althea has two of these b/c lead heroine witch gets a midgame plot upgrade from Ember to White Flame, with a wardrobe change

In SG every Witch can get a wardrobe change - although i don't think you can get everyone in first playthrough - i got all but one

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Does Dragon assimilating Butterfly Girl = Dragonfly?

hmmm

good question xD

Well, this is already a bit more interesting. I start in a camp and I'm given the option to just go to sleep or explore for a while. I fully expected to be unable to leave camp and just get to talk to some NPCs for a minute, but instead, I'm allowed to stray quite a ways from the camp. Most interestingly, I found a really out of the way ally that said he saw "something move", and moving further from him, a soldier in a different uniform from my allies who quickly ran offscreen upon being spotted.

I mean, I can't give chase because my companion, Jowy (very popular character from this game and the character that inspired Eiyuden's Seign), says we shouldn't go too far or the captain will be angry. Like he didn't see the obviously enemy soldier obviously eyeing our camp. But hey! I dig this. It's more freedom than Suikoden 1 allowed me in it's first hour or two.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Luminous.Arc.2.600.235101.jpg

-All ingame pics, but they're not "real" in the sense that the ladies ever actually wear wedding gowns. Althea has two of these b/c lead heroine witch gets a midgame plot upgrade from Ember to White Flame, with a wardrobe change.

Ghosts… shades of my former existence…

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

In SG every Witch can get a wardrobe change - although i don't think you can get everyone in first playthrough - i got all but one

Sounds like a nice gradual improvement to me.😀 Shame the rate of improvement was too gradual in the LA-SG franchise for Imageepoch to survive as a company. LA3 only gave the male protagonist a costume change. And as Wraith mentioned, the cleric girl in LA1 turns out to have sealed her memories because... and becomes the dark witch (in addition to the LA1 male lead getting his attire change + some supportive draconic-elemental spells).

While I generally like the costume design of LA3, and the henshin aspect of it, I do wish Miss Implied Lead Witch Eruru got a mid-lategame upgrade. Girl dies, yet has the audacity to get resurrected just as weak as she was before.🤨

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

*looks up true ending requirements*

Dafuq?

How's anyone supposed to find that out??

Ah, unlockable true endings.😃 It can be an object of curiosity to find out what "logic" the devs/writers used to separate (and or hint at what to do/not do to obtain) the one true path from the shades lacking canon et veritas.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

the cleric girl in LA1 turns out to have sealed her memories because... and becomes the dark witch

Witch and priest in one eh?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah, unlockable true endings.😃 It can be an object of curiosity to find out what "logic" the devs/writers used to separate (and or hint at what to do/not do to obtain) the one true path from the shades lacking canon et veritas.

even the hint they gave made me go ???

And so i googled and i am still ???

XD

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Witch and priest in one eh?

image.pngimage.png

To be fair, it's probably sorta hinted at by the fact Nikolai is infatuated with her, the guy whose nominal class is called "W(itch) Otaku". Maybe by the powers of looooooove! he could detect her repressed identity.

The changeover is nothing blasphemous BTW. B/c Baby's First Anime SRPG has a Church Is Evil, "God" Is A Planet-Devouring Parasite From Space; Witches (And Dragons, Which The Hero & His Shota Brother Are But Never Take Dragon Form) Are Good And Created As The Planet's Guardians basic and veeeeery cliched plot. You ain't missing out.😉 (Evil Church also creates an unplayable artificial witch from an orphan girl, because Church Evil.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

It's kind of amazing seeing this game's massive production value, with beautiful spritework and backgrounds, two super cool intros and shit, and then read the text.

SLUS-00958_2024-01-09_22-28-36.png?ex=65b03311&is=659dbe11&hm=baae2ce8bf31400389e448bb35b16d6c42993909c5fa14a8e51b60b0000cdef3&

SLUS-00958_2024-01-09_22-29-35.png?ex=65b03311&is=659dbe11&hm=b853b005dc30454b0319ec722f821c0646291e1d95888dbb48adafd548f99ec7&

Well, clearly the people in charge of translating this weren't payed much. Oboy.

MpxVpXz.jpg

finally, someone to outveto the US?

smCa5yQ.jpg

???

Also

That dragon has red and blue eyes....Alear confirmed?

H1TnjFD.jpg

Can they get fucking disbanded already?

POfb5Wm.jpg

Fin

Sh7iUHq.jpg

I am confusion....

Tbh

The only ending i liked is GV1's ending ngl.

ZSnkJK0.jpg
q6opoCx.jpg

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

wait-

0FpUgzx.jpg

There's more?

EzIkaYu.jpg

Cool - but i hoped it wouldn't be just the same stages & bosses again - also why does the boss suddenly have a one shot attack?

eB2BCIv.jpg
6PUDOAH.jpg

That's a paradox in the making

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"W(itch) Otaku".

my self insert, finally

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

???????

latest.png?ex=65b01549&is=659da049&hm=bd

??????????

I mean, this isn't the first time Heroes uses a TCG/Cipher design, and it won't be the last.

SLUS-00958_2024-01-09_23-30-34.png?ex=65b03e3e&is=659dc93e&hm=6e58cb8d083b0ab83d5d3839a023cc2e5c42ca5f6249d595dfc3f350788da452&

Okay so I don't want to turn this into "Suikoden 2 proofread threat" but

Holy shit

This is in the middle of a serious main plot scene. This took my immersion to the back and shot it in the head.

Goodness me, they really didn't proofread anything. Not even the main story scenes. Nobody playtested this? Was playtesting just not a thing back in 1998?

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

>moved on

Someone tell him

Yeah, no. Modern localizations (not even talking super modern, like last 15-20 years or so? Somewhere in the lifespan of the DS) don't have this amount of typos and the dialogue actually sounds like something human beings might say occasionally. This is absolute garbage.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

*looks up true ending requirements*

Dafuq?

How's anyone supposed to find that out??

I guess you were supposed to remember how the talismans worked pre-damage.

Did you look up the recs for the alternative final bosses?

28 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Cool - but i hoped it wouldn't be just the same stages & bosses again

It was free DLC.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

SLUS-00958_2024-01-09_23-18-40.png?ex=65b03c84&is=659dc784&hm=5f418b02607ec0628bdd51fc19f2d87e4692ac3f5143f6af153cd4a50f030038&

God

The fucking

Nobody proofread this shit. I am so happy the industry moved on from this kind of crap.

Popeye when he sees the spinach.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

don't have this amount of typos and the dialogue actually sounds like something human beings might say occasionally.

somone tell him

Modern localization still have all that garbage all the time - you only see the good stuff because you don't play many jp games.

And i am not talking about the whole thing we talked about before

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Did you look up the recs for the alternative final bosses?

yeah...

I don't have the images needed atm lol

And the joke ending...80% of the pulses why