Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Okay, I could go to grind some Job Levels, but I think I'll do the Ancients' Maze at least. Then unlock Eureka so I can get the Ultima Weapon and do the job grinding.

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, there was a time they went down to 3-character parties...

...Yeesh.

Hey, no fair. Quetzals fly!

Well, Armagons should too.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, right. On that subject, what did you thought on Suikoden having six-member parties?

Wasn't much of a surprise, as Exit Fate was already that way. And I did like it there. It doesn't really have much of a significant impact, because traditional JRPG combat is incredibly limited and repetitive and adding more characters alone doesn't change that. But, it does increase the amount of variables at play and it lets you fit just a bit more of your titanic Suikoden-sized lineup into your team, which is nice.

I can only hope Eiyuden will be closer to ET than the OG Suikodens. ET's first boss kicked my ass and I needed to change my approach, think my moves over and utilize my items. Suiko 2's first boss required using healing items a few times and it was the most fun I had in my (admittedly short) time playing either game. Pipe dream, I know, but the hard mode fills me with hope...

Wait

He has 3 Phases on Hard mode????

FUCK

I don't think i can survive another octis veto lol

Edit: Ah the game wants me to defeat him in using the true end method lol

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

38 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, reached the Crystal Tower and opened the way to Eureka.

Now... time to backtrack...

Which version of FF 3 are you playing?

Okay, got Ultima Weapon! Now my Knight should be on par with damage dealing too. The set of Crystal Equipment from the Ancients' Maze went to him as well. Since I had a maxed out Thief, I could get the Gladius... not that I'll ever use it, perhaps.

Okay, gonna go grind up a couple job levels for Eureka. I think... get them to Job Level 20 or 25 should be decent enough.

Okay, Chapter 9.

Now in the AD World, and Nadesico Prince of Darkness makes its entrance with Jovian mechs to defeat.

Hmm... V and T jumped straight to Prince of Darkness. I think the last time Nadesico used its TV plot was in BX. Though it's not like Nadesico overall has made lots of appearances enough to say it's doing a trend. Hmm... or does it? Since DD is also using Prince of Darkness. Hmm...

Well, now the Nadesico B is here!

Now Chapter 10, and Might Gaine's debut. Well, it already had elements show up in the previous one, but here is a more proper intro.

Hm? Maito is mentioned as being 16 years old. I'm pretty sure that's not...

*checks*

Yeah, Maito is 15! Huh? Did the game aged him up a year? Wonder why...

Well, I mean, he does turn 16 during the anime series, but if I recall, V doesn't pick up after that point... I think. Or maybe it does. Well, one way to find out!

Okay! No, this stage has Maito and Sally just meeting, so it's definitely when Maito was still 15. Well then...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Steam 3D version.

Does FF3 have that weirdness like FF2 where evasion is more important with armor than its defense rating?

I played 2 once not knowin that, and started gettin my ass handed to me by the time I got to that jade passage 

Never saw anything like that before. Kinda reminded me of that episode of Star Trek TNG where the ship keeps gettin hit by these energy waves and more power to the shields only made it worse

Edited by Capt. Fargus

6 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Does FF3 have that weirdness like FF2 where evasion is more important with armor than its defense rating.

I played 2 once not knowin that, and started gettin my ass handed to me by the time I got to that jade passage 

Never saw anything like that before. Kinda reminded me of that episode of Star Trek TNG where the ship keeps gettin hit by these energy waves and more power to the shields only made it worse

Hmm... wouldn't know. Haven't run any evasion build. I think Job Levels are more important in this game, or at least the largest priority. The 3D version (and maybe the Pixel Remaster too? Don't know), at least, tweaked the jobs so that all of them could be endgame viable. Unlike the original NES one where some jobs were meant to be replaced with latter ones. Hence why the likes of Evoker, Black Belt, Devout, Magus, and the like all exist.

Oh, I remember that episode. Yeah, since it the energy waves were their own, rebounding back to them and the shields only made it worse. So no shields, the wave was just a gentle push.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Alright, unlocked the Factory at last! Let's see what I can... huh, Prana Converters are here in V too? Like, T makes sense since eventually Masaki shows up, but what are they doing here in V!? It's the only game of the VTX trilogy that Masaki has no prescence in...

Okay, Chapter 11

More Might Gaine stuff.

It seems some Skills need to be unlocked via special conditions, not being part of the Skill Tree. Like Concentration, able to be unlocked (or first unlocked?) right here. Tri Bomber and Guard Diver need a combined number of kills of 4. Which shouldn't be hard to do. Just let them fight for a bit...

Wait, the Akurasu states that, but just on the first kill either did the unlock convo was triggered. So it's their actual kill count and not just the scenario one? Since both joined with 11 score each then it means it was going to happen by default I guess, hahaha. Well, still needed to make one more kill I guess. Just in case I gave them two kills each anyway.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, ping said:

Mongols do at least have their poor man's Camels (and, no offense to the Arabs, it's a travesty that the Mongols don't have the best shoot-and-run unit in the game). But they really do feel like a shitty Arabia, +1 Movement on their horsies or no. Weaker unique unit, and Arabia also has some economic bonuses to fall back on.

Indeed. 

Plus, double oil for Arabia means additional bomber spam. Not a bad thing for continuing the warpath.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, I think that's how my final party will be:

Knight, Black Belt, Dragoon, Devout

I forget exactly how stats in FFIII work, but I remember hearing that Black Belt gets the largest HP gains when leveling. Which means grinding normal levels is best done in BB, because all other stats auto-adjust without regard for what you spent your prior levels in? -Not a real concern except for anyone grinding for endgame levels.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Yeesh.

My hunch about the decline to three, for FFVII and VIII specifically, is owing to them being earlier PS1 games. Maybe Square wasn't confident in avoiding technical issues (yes, I know turn-based JRPGs aren't the most demanding of games, but early 3D and Square has always liked good animations/visuals) for them, so they chose to put some ease on the processor by cutting it back one. -After the PS1 era though, a 3-active party system is purely a design choice for pretty much any JRPG. (Although three-party systems go back to the NES and SNES.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Well, I am going to give kills to those two anyway, since they and Maito are tied to unlocking a Special Scenario, and they need a combined score of 60. Or 50, since it's Route Split dependent. I thought it would be tough, since the margin window isn't that large, but I forgot for a moment VTX has units join with a score amount already. Maito joined with 10, so with the other two having 11, it means I'm already halfway there. Still, gonna ensure I only need to worry on Maito needing to increase his score.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I forget exactly how stats in FFIII work, but I remember hearing that Black Belt gets the largest HP gains when leveling. Which means grinding normal levels is best done BB, because all other stats auto-adjust without regard for what you spent your prior levels in?

Yes. Black Belt has the highest Vitality, which is what factors in HP gain. So if you want your characters to cap their HP, you need them to level up as Black Belts. And yeah, the other stats are fixed in progression.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My hunch about the decline to three, for FFVII and VIII specifically, is owing to them being earlier PS1 games. Maybe Square wasn't confident in avoiding technical issues (yes, I know turn-based JRPGs aren't the most demanding of games, but early 3D and Square has always liked good animations/visuals) for them, so they chose to put some ease on the processor by cutting it back one. -After the PS1 era though, a 3-active party system is purely a design choice for pretty much any JRPG.

Or maybe not, since you still have to mind how much are you loading in. So one extra model and programming can still make a difference.

For IX they definitely felt they could add a fourth person, though at the same time their models are kinda smaller than VIII's. Though I think it was more that it was a throwback game, and since the early games had four-man parties, IX had to follow suit. Considering X went back to three, and XII and XIII was the same, it seems they had already decided on three-member teams, technical limitations or not.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering X went back to three, and XII and XIII was the same, it seems they had already decided on three-member teams, technical limitations or not.

With X, the ability to tag-team in the reserve characters made combat capable of involving everyone in the same battle in principle, if not all at once. It's a good workaround a fair number of other 3-active JRPGs have utilized TMS. With XII (the original pre-International Zodiac Job System at least), as with VII and VIII, all the characters begin and end the game capable of fulfilling any role with equal competency all the time if you give them the right stuff, I don't think only three is a huge deal we could delete Vaan, Penelo, and Fran anyhow. And for XIII (and X-2), paradigms shifting allowing for role swapping mid-fight provides enough variety.

Well, I am going to give kills to those two anyway, since they and Maito are tied to unlocking a Special Scenario, and they need a combined score of 60. Or 50, since it's Route Split dependent.

Kill count secrets in SRW are... varied in execution.

The Sazabi and Meio get A(P) have waaaaaay too generous a window of time, Master Asia's in AP is tight (seemingly not as much in GBA A), but doable. In OG2, in a single playthrough, obtaining all of: the Shishioh Blade, Wildwurger L, Vysaga/Ashsaver, and Gespy Mk. II S is doable, albeit it'll basically lock you into Ethiopia at the first route split and requires some consideration of where to go for the second split.

Looking at D, 50 kills on Amuro by the 15/16th scenario, and 400 kills among four pilots by the 28-30th for Haman?😮 I know D is a Real-leaning game, but I'm feeling like I'd save what appears to be the Real route split options for a second playthrough, since NG+ is mentioned as having kill counts carry over and that sounds practically necessary for those secrets. -If D ever gets translated.😐

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kill count secrets in SRW are... varied in execution.

The Sazabi and Meio get A(P) have waaaaaay too generous a window of time, Master Asia's in AP is tight (seemingly not as much in GBA A), but doable. In OG2, in a single playthrough, obtaining all of: the Shishioh Blade, Wildwurger L, Vysaga/Ashsaver, and Gespy Mk. II S is doable, albeit it'll basically lock you into Ethiopia at the first route split and requires some consideration of where to go for the second split.

A, at least the GBA version, also has the issue that kill counts don't carry over in a New Game Plus. So they must be done every time.

Although, if I recall, sometimes that may not be a good thing either. Well, depends. SRW L had this problem where an unlockable secret requires a character to score 7 kills the chapter he joins. Thing is, the game needs the score to calculate how many he has done, which means that... if you put the effort to have him cap the score counter at 999... the secret can never be obtained again. I mean, it's very unlikely you'll ever get him that high, even on repeated playthroughs, unless you play the game a lot of times in succession, but still. I think this may be the reason the games now track score on a per scenario basis. To avoid a situation like that.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looking at D, 50 kills on Amuro by the 15/16th scenario, and 400 kills among four pilots by the 28-30th for Haman?😮 I know D is a Real-leaning game, but I'm feeling like I'd save what appears to be the Real route split options for a second playthrough, since NG+ is mentioned as having kill counts carry over and that sounds practically necessary for those secrets. -If D ever gets translated.😐

Oh, man, don't get me started on D's kill related secrets. XD

I even had a notepad doc to keep track on how many kills I could give them per scenario, so my other units could get some too. Some cases were really tight.

If I recall, that 400 kills one needs to be New Game Plus anyway. And kills do carry over. So getting the 400 on a second playthrough is much easier.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Okay, Scenario 12, after the protagonist-related route split is over.

Oh, off to meet Celestial Being, huh. More Gundam 00, good. Since it's still quite newish to me in SRW. Though I did saw the Awakening of the Trailblazer movie, which is what V covers, so I'm mostly good on that front.

Hm? They mentioned the Gaizock in past tense. Please tell me Zambot 3 isn't post-script here. Zambot 3 tends to be shafted a lot in story representation. Since it's mostly just Butcher running around causing havoc. I think Compact2/Impact is the only time we ever get to fight Gaizock/ComputerDollNo.8 itself.

I don't remember T giving Vuitton so many cat-related puns in her dialogue, pft.

You know, on the subject of Might Gaine, I've been ruminating on a few things for my SRW fan idea. I've actually wondered if I should do it like Compact, and just not have OG elements. Be it a pure licenced experience. SRW so far has only done it once, with Compact itself. Even the first game doesn't escape this since Mecha Gilgilgan was made for the game, so it's a semi-OG unit.

Which begs the question. With no OG faction, who would be the final boss, then? Well, since I am using Might Gaine, why not use Black Noir? He does have the whole "manipulated everything form the shadows for his amusement" angle going for him already, if I recall. In fact, I do wonder what he's going to say here in SRW, considering that in the anime...

Spoiler

He reveals the world of Might Gaine is a game. What does that mean exactly? That's kinda the thing. Nothing was ever revealed beyond that. Black Noir simply adds how he's tired of Happy Endings, so that's why Maito, the Hero, must fail right there at the end.

So... when you have Might Gaine in an actual video game... Black Noir suddenly becomes quite a bit Meta, huh. So maybe it is a good idea then for him to be a Final Boss, hahaha.

---

Anyway... ah, the Gundam 00 guys finally show up! Including Setsuna, Tieria... and Tobia's with them! Well, he has a Gundam, so he fits right in. XD

Alright, I reached the 50 kills threshold. So I can take its corresponding route without issue now. Hmm, can I reach 60? Let's find out...

Okay, scenario done. The Gundam 00 crew includes their battleship, the Ptolemaios 2 Custom, so now we have two battleships in the team. Also I see two more DLC maps have unlocked, so I'll do those next. Tomorrow, since it's too late now.

Edited by Acacia Sgt