Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, man, don't get me started on D's kill related secrets. XD

I even had a notepad doc to keep track on how many kills I could give them per scenario, so my other units could get some too. Some cases were really tight.

If I recall, that 400 kills one needs to be New Game Plus anyway. And kills do carry over. So getting the 400 on a second playthrough is much easier.

Thank you for sharing your past agony!😃

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

7/10

Ouch.

-For such a highly-praised game that is. Although I have heard combat described as a bit basic. And -just once- saw some criticism about having to constantly replay the game to get the other endings.

This is just my guess, but would you call it "unique, but lacking in execution"?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although I have heard combat described as a bit basic

and sometimes outright bad tbh - that's my big gripe with the game.

At first, the gameplay excited me, because i tend to love Platinum's gameplay...but then not only was the boss and level design lacking, but the gameplay of one of the characters can be described as

"Bad repetitive shmup levels"

And i got sick of it quite fast.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

aw some criticism about having to constantly replay the game to get the other endings.

yes, kinda

Well, you see

The 2nd route is just the 1st route but a different PoV, and it was with the bad shmup characters, so it was really really really dull, and if it wasn't short and easy to finish in 1/2 session, i would've probably dropped the game

For the other 3 endings, you just gotta do the final fight again. And additional really long shmup level for the last of those endings.

You also keep going to same Areas over and over again.

But thankfully, the game is short - i clocked 28 hours for all 5 endings + a bunch joke/bad endings. Then again, i didn't do many sidequests because i was done with the gameplay.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is just my guess, but would you call it "unique, but lacking in execution"?

Lacking in gameplay, because the game does execute non combat stuff well, and how it integrates literally everything -including system menu- with the gameplay...

But i cared less about that the longer the game went on, and everytime i go "oh that's cool" it's followed closely by "can we get over with already?"

Some 5head stuff going on in the game for sure

But if gameplay ain't priority #1, don't bother making a game

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

So that's where CS III and up went wrong! XD

2 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

So that's where CS III and up went wrong! XD

I mean

If i still enjoyed it's gameplay i probably would've not dropped the series - despite the story taking a nosedive to the worst thing i ever saw

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I mean

If i still enjoyed it's gameplay i probably would've not dropped the series - despite the story taking a nosedive to the worst thing i ever saw

Now that would be impressive. The gameplay only got progressively worse as they went on. 

Kuro being a core reset was the best thing to happen to them.

I finished both games i got on the Xmas sale this weekend eh

Both kinda on the opposite side of the spectrum

GV3 more gameplay, Nier more story

Defo enjoyed GV3 more, gameplay super fun

8+/10 for GV3

Although both are different genres so can't really compare them, even if both are "action".

GV also has better music - which is to me more important that writing honestly

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Settings, port quality, UI, QoL, mini games, etc.

"port quality", define that. And do you mean from PS 4 ---> Steam for example?

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My hunch about the decline to three, for FFVII and VIII specifically, is owing to them being earlier PS1 games. Maybe Square wasn't confident in avoiding technical issues (yes, I know turn-based JRPGs aren't the most demanding of games, but early 3D and Square has always liked good animations/visuals) for them, so they chose to put some ease on the processor by cutting it back one. -After the PS1 era though, a 3-active party system is purely a design choice for pretty much any JRPG. (Although three-party systems go back to the NES and SNES.)

I figured it'd be hardware limitations, yeah. Nothing much else you could do back then.

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

q8V1h80.jpg

7/10

You were playing NieR? I had no idea.

I don't know anything about this game, so I can't really say much about the rating.

26 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I like how the first two are just ordinary names, and then there's the actual Fire Emblem-esque terminology.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

yeah

And CS3' port was well done - atleast i had no problems with it

You must have missed the broken MQ effects and things like Campenella's Exchange effect being broken. Or stuff like this:

be7d845203d86e3e28172b9755503568.png

lol

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

You must have missed the broken MQ effects and things like Campenella's Exchange effect being broken. Or stuff like this:

be7d845203d86e3e28172b9755503568.png

lol

mb, don't remember. Has been a few years after all

Don't get me wrong, their cleanup was good overall, but some other areas needed attention.

4710a0a274b0669ff4f2ddee4970432a.jpg

falling through the floor happens way too often lol

The broken MQ effects is something that always happens though, they just have them programmed wrong, so the effects such as (grants SPD up (M) for 3 turns) ends up becoming SPD up (S) for 9 turns, and the game wont allow you to highten that using Chrono Drive, either. It's quite humerous, honestly.

Edit: example, take a look at the 2nd ability there and how many turns it lasts:

4ce64404ec2d281f8ef5b17a2c607dd5.png

clearly that isn't how it works lol

the game tries to set it's turn count to 999991 but 9 turns is the highest besides perma, so it just defaults the counter to 9.

Edited by Lightcosmo

Was in enough of a Musou mood to clear out the Shu story in two days. Felt somehow bleaker than the Wu ending, where the game very much acknowledged the nightmare of Wei's logistical superiority.

Will wait a little bit on Jin or maybe not, but I do love the cyan wardrobes. I am curious how much KT did to try spicing up the post-epic battles storyline that actually resolves the Three Kingdoms era, their first try in 7 was different (has to be from the other campaigns), but a first draft for sure. -Though I know and totally get the non-generic enemy officer variety is still going to be lacking.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

and sometimes outright bad tbh - that's my big gripe with the game.

At first, the gameplay excited me, because i tend to love Platinum's gameplay...but then not only was the boss and level design lacking, but the gameplay of one of the characters can be described as

"Bad repetitive shmup levels"

And i got sick of it quite fast.

I wasn't even aware Automata had shump a shorthand term that for some reason doesn't sound right to me.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Lacking in gameplay, because the game does execute non combat stuff well, and how it integrates literally everything -including system menu- with the gameplay...

But i cared less about that the longer the game went on, and everytime i go "oh that's cool" it's followed closely by "can we get over with already?"

Some 5head stuff going on in the game for sure

Thanks for your thoughts!😀

Besides the game largely having been inaccessible for me, Nier: Automata never really interested me, even regarding reading other people's chatter about it.

...Sooooo, whatcha think be next on your playlist?😛

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wasn't even aware Automata had shump

and alot

and bad

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Sooooo, whatcha think be next on your playlist?😛

my current backlog:

• DMC5 - already halfway through
  • Sparks of Hope - also halfway through
  • Astral Chain - need to start
  • Engage Ironman i am doing atm

Wanna finish those before i get anything new. There're games coming out soon i am looking forward to, tho

• Granblue Fantasy ReLink - although won't get day 1 unless there's a PC demo (atm only PS demo) and i really enjoy it
  • Unicorn Overlord - Possible day 1, depending on reviews
  • Eiyuden Chronicles

Other games i might nab if a sale happens:

• Triangle strategy - although you probably all noticed how i haven't been in a mood for Story heavy games lately - I just want to have fun. And the demo is really text heavy and if i don't like the gameplay, i would probably be hella pissed - i do enjoy me a good story tho
  • Star Ocean 2 Remake - That on the other hand i enjoyed the demo alot. It has that classic JRPG vibes i tend to adore - a 30% sale would be enough for me to nab it honestly
  • WitchSpring R: Witch. I love witches. Looks like a game with alot of variety. Witches. People say it's a hidden gem - did i mention Witches?
  • Nayuta no Kiseki: 40 bucks is a wtf price, not paying more than 15 for this - so probably not anytime soon
  • Fate/Samurai Remnant: Very low prio due to being Mouso adjacent and 70 bucks price lol

Might also pick up a VN - Tsukihime RE i can emulate...but downloading switch games is a pain in the ass lol

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

my current backlog:

• DMC5 - already halfway through
  • Sparks of Hope - also halfway through
  • Astral Chain - need to start
  • Fire Emblem Engage Ironman i am doing atm

Wanna finish those before i get anything new. There're games coming out soon i am looking forward to, tho

• Granblue Fantasy ReLink - although won't get day 1 unless there's a PC demo (atm only PS demo) and i really enjoy it
  • Unicorn Overlord - Possible day 1, depending on reviews
  • Eiyuden Chronicles

Other games i might nab if a sale happens:

• Triangle strategy - although you probably all noticed how i haven't been in a mood for Story heavy games lately - I just want to have fun. And the demo is really text heavy and if i don't like the gameplay, i would probably be hella pissed - i do enjoy me a good story tho
  • Star Ocean 2 Remake - That on the other hand i enjoyed the demo alot. It has that classic JRPG vibes i tend to adore - a 30% sale would be enough for me to nab it honestly
  • WitchSpring R: Witch. I love witches. Looks like a game with alot of variety. Witches. People say it's a hidden game - did i mention Withes?
  • Nayuta no Kiseki: 40 bucks is a wtf price, not paying more than 15 for this - so probably not anytime soon
  • Fate/Samurai Remnant: Very low prio due to being Mouso adjacent and 70 bucks price lol

Might also pick up a VN - Tsukihime RE i can emulate...but downloading switch games is a pain in the ass lol

Thanks for all this!😀

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Unicorn Overlord - Possible day 1, depending on reviews

While my backlog is much too big, I might rush into this.😆 And or Arma will. If either of us do, you may wish to wait. -Although if we all jump in at once that ought to be fun!😄

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Triangle strategy - although you probably all noticed how i haven't been in a mood for Story heavy games lately - I just want to have fun. And the demo is really text heavy and if i don't like the gameplay, i would probably be hella pissed - i do enjoy me a good story tho

Relatable in a way. As I've said before, major story scares me from starting up a game -well, makes me pause because I'm very paranoid about being in the right mind to appreciate it.

And again, if you're willing to emulate and want some anime-style story, maybe try the Devil Survivors. Other than a few days ago, I don't think I lightly suggested it to you at all in like a year.😝

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although if we all jump in at once that ought to be fun!

ayy 😄

Playing along friends & the community is one of the big positives of day 1

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As I've said before, major story scares me from starting up a game

for me it's less that

and more that most games that people like for the story tend to have less than stellar gameplay - to put it mildly....

And the story more often than not ends up being nothing special, and not even good sometimes.

If i want good & unique stories, i know exactly where to look - and it ain't your everyday game that's for sure

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Devil Survivors

noted, but very low prio - you saw my big list above XD

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ouch.

-For such a highly-praised game that is.

I gave Persona 5 like a 4/10 that's nothing bro.

In other news, I hung out with a friend yesterday and we played Dragon's Crown. Definitely more fun with friends. Ironically I only made one level of progress more than on my main file (it was his PS4 so that meant starting over again).

If i want good & unique stories, i know exactly where to look - and it ain't your everyday game that's for sure

Xeno😛 VNs?

noted, but very low prio - you saw my big list above XD

Oh, I understand.

I also assume you will find the games' flaws that I can conceive of, as undermining anything I personally enjoyed of them. Leaving you to feel lukewarm towards the games, or should that be "game" -singular- if the first bombs that much for you? -This is why I don't really heavily rec games, because I assume they'll somehow flop in the eyes and hands of another and I would feel guilty for wasting their time and filling that person with disappointment. Which would be a perfectly fine difference in opinion BTW. -But this doesn't entirely kill my evangelizing desire for DeSu because I enjoyed them that much, and you might be receptive while others here wouldn't.😆

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In other news, I hung out with a friend yesterday and we played Dragon's Crown. Definitely more fun with friends. Ironically I only made one level of progress more than on my main file (it was his PS4 so that meant starting over again).

Glad to hear it.😀

Now find three and get to LoZ:FSA!😝

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

VNs?

Yes

At the very least, no bad gameplay to inerrupt the story

Usually xD

And they tend to not give af - i like that

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is why I don't really heavily rec games, because I assume they'll somehow flop in the eyes and hands of another and I would feel guilty for wasting their time and filling that person with disappointment.

If it happens, it happens, no need to feel guilty for trying share the fun around 😉

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Definitely more fun with friends.

We with many western RPGs. Usually don't enjoy them alone, but with friends? Oh yes

Devouts need ten rounds of combat to job level past job level 14? Sheesh, this is bound to make it take a while.

Onion Knight need thirteen!? Yep, that's a long grind, alright...