Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When people think of "the ends of the universe", they speak as if they wish to head to reach the eastern horizon, or the western, or the far north or south.

Who wants to reach the bottom of the universe?

Meditate on that.

What counts as "bottom" in the universe, anyway? Our directions are relative to the gravitational pull of our planet. Spain's bottom is New Zealand's top. How to gauge that in the vast emptiness of space?

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Least xenophobic European.

THIS IS A JOKE, I'M JOKING! 

Nah, you've got a point. All jokes and exaggerations aside, I try to keep my negative feelings for the US away from the people in the country. I know lots of people in it don't want it to be the way it is or to do the things it does.

Of course, when I learn stuff about living in the US, it becomes much easier to sympathize with the people in it. I could not imagine being stuck in a country where I could just randomly get grievously injured by some asshole who bought a death rod at a convenience store, lose my life savings at the hospital and then get fired from my job because of the months spent recovering though to be fair that last part is basically everywhere because private corporations are the devil incarnate. And just like that my life's over. And of course, if you're a minority you better pray you weren't born in Florida or you instantly lose the game.

The world in general's pretty crap, but hot damn the RNG rolls in the US.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ask him where Nebraska is.

I mean, there's a bit of a difference there. US's states aren't important on a worldwide scale, just the same as Spain's provinces, Japan's prefectures, France's departments, etc.

Though honestly, the whole "Americans can't point at countries on a map" is kind of a meme in general. I can't imagine most laymen anywhere are that great at geography. I certainly am not, and I'm pretty sure you could get anybody in the so called "civilized" world just by asking them to point out African countries.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They knew Sommie would sweep. Had to cut him out just to give all others a chance.

Real talk, it's kinda weird how inconsistent they are with the NPCs. You can't vote for the few one-off bosses in Engage but Brigand Boss is votable.

I guess they just pick the ones they feel are particularly memeable? And, since they're gacha devs, they don't have a soul, so their memes are the most corporate.

Sometimes they're right. Other times they're Brigand Boss.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

>joking

Nah mate, considering the current political shitshow over here and how racism is just cool again, you might be into something

Did you ever expect to hear about relocation in Germany in 2024? Ü

Aren't the predictions that the nazis are going to be the first political force in Germany in the next election?

It's all fucked.

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

40 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

>joking

Didn't want it to come off the wrong way, I was just doing friendly banter.

But i have seen in serious discussion whenever racism in Europe gets brought up, there's always some guy completely unironically going "no we aren't racist, we're xenophobic, there's a difference" as if the venn diagram there isn't a flat circle.

40 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Did you ever expect to hear about relocation in Germany in 2024? Ü

I'm just seeing basic "immigration laws are changing" articles. Something something more deportations. Is there more to it?

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And of course, if you're a minority you better pray you weren't born in Florida or you instantly lose the game.

I have heard northern Idaho is more racist than anything in the South. Which is impressive because this means there are real people who live in Idaho.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

US's states aren't important on a worldwide scale,

You could make the case for California at the very least, the state that if it ever became it's own thing, it'd have like the fourth biggest economy in the world.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Though honestly, the whole "Americans can't point at countries on a map" is kind of a meme in general. I can't imagine most laymen anywhere are that great at geography.

It's all just cherrypicked videos. Likewise, i saw someone doing this to some Brits but with American history, asking them who the first President of the US was and they got "John F Kennedy".

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"no we aren't racist, we're xenophobic, there's a difference"

"Racism is when color. Xenophobic is when nationality."

Both are when dumb.

I have heard northern Idaho is more racist than anything in the South. Which is impressive because this means there are real people who live in Idaho.

...Yeesh. I'm glad I don't know where Idaho is, or what an Idaho could be. Eyyy this ignorance is relevant to the topic!

You could make the case for California at the very least, the state that if it ever became it's own thing, it'd have like the fourth biggest economy in the world.

When it becomes its own thing, then I'll remember it. Until then it's a US of A.

It's all just cherrypicked videos. Likewise, i saw someone doing this to some Brits but with American history, asking them who the first President of the US was and they got "John F Kennedy".

Goodness, even I know that! It was Benjamin Franklin who invented the united states. He also invented kites and thunder. What an entrepeneur. Wash in town who?

Anyway, if ever someone tries to get you with the first president of Spain (unlikely) say Adolfo Suarez and give them your best smug grin.

Then point out that this would be a trick question because Spain has had multiple first presidents, since we've had democracy instated three separate times. Currently on a seven president streak, which I'm pretty sure is the longest we've gone without the republic been destroyed in favor of some monarchy, dictatorship or other. Whoop whoop!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

FE4 remake going places.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Goodness, even I know that! It was Benjamin Franklin who invented the united states. He also invented kites and thunder. What an entrepeneur. Wash in town who?

Yeah it's a known fact that thunderstorms didn't exist until Benjamin Franklin came up with it. Heinous man really, creating such dangerous weather conditions.

Currently on a seven president streak, which I'm pretty sure is the longest we've gone without the republic been destroyed in favor of some monarchy, dictatorship or other. Whoop whoop!

You'll get an eight President and then it's back to civil warring because some rando found out he has legal claims to the Spanish throne and he really wants it to have power again.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah it's a known fact that thunderstorms didn't exist until Benjamin Franklin came up with it. Heinous man really, creating such dangerous weather conditions.

I'm more upset at Newton. Why would he invent something so awful as gravity? Have you any idea the amount of people who have been killed by gravity? Not to mention without gravity we wouldn't need planes! Smh my head. Had to be Americans lolololol

You'll get an eight President and then it's back to civil warring because some rando found out he has legal claims to the Spanish throne and he really wants it to have power again.

I mean, he wouldn't need to do all that. We do have a monarchy. It's just a position of dubious utility and very small sacrifice that gets immunity to the law and a lifelong salary that's bigger than the money I'll make in three lifetimes. So you know, anybody's dream life.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Wait so the Awakening boss chick who was down bad for Walhart isn't votable......but her TMS counterpart is? What????????

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm more upset at Newton. Why would he invent something so awful as gravity? Have you any idea the amount of people who have been killed by gravity? Not to mention without gravity we wouldn't need planes! Smh my head. Had to be Americans lolololol

No but what about Galileo? Man the world used to be so cool when it was flat and we were at the center of everything. But he just had to build his "telescope" to change how the world worked and now we're just a speck in a void.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

We do have a monarchy. It's just a position of dubious utility and very small sacrifice that gets immunity to the law and a lifelong salary that's bigger than the money I'll make in three lifetimes. So you know, anybody's dream life.

He wants it to be absolute.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait so the Awakening boss chick who was down bad for Walhart isn't votable......but her TMS counterpart is? What????????

Fucking arseholes. Pheros deserves better than this. I would make a fangame and put her in it if I hadn't already.

...is Heddwyn votable?!

No but what about Galileo? Man the world used to be so cool when it was flat and we were at the center of everything. But he just had to build his "telescope" to change how the world worked and now we're just a speck in a void.

So many lives lost to existential dread because of that dick.

No, but you wanna talk historical asshats? Talk about the caveman who invented fire. Every year we hear about fires killing people, destroying buildings and other tragedies. Fire hurts. #CancelFire.

He wants it to be absolute.

Yes, well. He can cry me a river.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fucking arseholes. Pheros deserves better than this. I would make a fangame and put her in it if I hadn't already.

When you consider Cervantes is in the game and Excellus is votable, Pheros' absence is really strange.

Heddwyn votable

No.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aren't the predictions that the nazis are going to be the first political force in Germany in the next election?

2nd...after the conservative

The big problem will arise when they tear down the wall between them and Nazis - and under their current leader it's not a matter of if, but when.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

m just seeing basic "immigration laws are changing" articles. Something something more deportations. Is there more to it?

Let me try and find something in english

https://www.dw.com/en/german-remigration-debate-fuels-push-to-ban-far-right-afd/a-67965896?maca=en-rss-en-ger-1023-rdf

And they have 22% in the polls atm, and other parties, even "center-left" (who are actually just conservatives in red) are using their talking points and language (although not the relocation thing....yet)

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FE4 remake going places

FE4 remake by monolith would be lit tho

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, I feel bad for all you cool Americans, because every time I learn something new about America my reaction is almost invariably "maybe America and its inhabitants should go fuck themselves already."

...But at least I feel bad for you, which puts me on the nicer side of the America hater spectrum. Meanwhile every time the topic comes up my father tells me that all Americans are uncultured assholes who couldn't even point to Canada on a map. All of them, with no significant exceptions. I can't agree with that either.

I mean this is more the fault of capitalism than America but then, literally everything wrong with the world is the fault of capitalism so that goes without saying

Don't feel too bad, nobody hates America more than Americans after all.

But hey, do remember who you're talking to. American isn't just a catch all to refer to White Yankee cishet men. It's a geographical term that could apply to several million people, Native Americans included.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ask him where Nebraska is. Americans don't know either because Nebraska is a mythical land, it doesn't exist.

My personal theory on American ignorance is that most folks living here are so exhausted and that combined with the individualistic culture creates a situation where most people don't care about much things beyond their immediate needs and wants. Why can't an American point Britain on a map? Because they've been working 2 jobs each week just to pay rent for their small apartment room and the rare moment when they aren't too exhausted to do anything after work they wouldn't dare use that precious time to learn about something just as stressful like politics.

Idaho is weird. Its directly next to my state of Oregon and I couldn't tell you a single thing about it. The Northwestern states are culturally linked, we have a mutual hatred towards each other and also all hate California including California. From BC to SoCal we could be our own country. Meanwhile Idaho is directly next to us like the disowned brother from the Oregon territory. I know absolutely nothing about the state itself, personally I think they should just give it all back to the Nez Perce.

Then point out that this would be a trick question because Spain has had multiple first presidents, since we've had democracy instated three separate times. Currently on a seven president streak, which I'm pretty sure is the longest we've gone without the republic been destroyed in favor of some monarchy, dictatorship or other. Whoop whoop!

Something something Bismark quote

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

Don't feel too bad, nobody hates America more than Americans after all.

But hey, do remember who you're talking to. American isn't just a catch all to refer to White Yankee cishet men. It's a geographical term that could apply to several million people, Native Americans included.

Quite true. I definitely meant "white yankee cishet conservabro" but using "American" for that was a mistake. Made a gross generalization there, and no doubt. Nobody's had it as bad in America as Native Americans.

My personal theory on American ignorance is that most folks living here are so exhausted and that combined with the individualistic culture creates a situation where most people don't care about much things beyond their immediate needs and wants. Why can't an American point Britain on a map? Because they've been working 2 jobs each week just to pay rent for their small apartment room and the rare moment when they aren't too exhausted to do anything after work they wouldn't dare use that precious time to learn about something just as stressful like politics.

Soooo basically, it harkens back to:

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

this is more the fault of capitalism than America but then, literally everything wrong with the world is the fault of capitalism so that goes without saying

Why am I not surprised.

Something something Bismark quote

God damned Bismark. Why would he invent war? Is he stupid?

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can't imagine most laymen anywhere are that great at geography.

If you travel, you'll might know geography. If you have friends/family who live elsewhere, you should know geography. If you live near the border of another country, you ought to know a little geography. If you're a nerd, of course you'll know geography.🤓

Everyone else? I perfectly understand if they don't.

I occasionally have to give geography lessons to family, and not just kids. Like pointing how large Alaska is, which surprises them (a lack of understanding due to it being disconnected from the lower 48, an educational map of the USA that doesn't want to fit in all of Canada will relegate Alaska to a disconnected inset that downsizes it). I've also had to give repeated lessons on the four components of the United Kingdom, which isn't a lot to memorize, but I understand why they forget. -Even if it raises my blood pressure.🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Our directions are relative to the gravitational pull of our planet. Spain's bottom is New Zealand's top.

Medieval maps made by the Arabic/Islamic world, I remember reading, were actually aligned with south at top and north on bottom.:

6221f49bd2c5522a7731a7c38db9862a.jpg

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, he wouldn't need to do all that. We do have a monarchy. It's just a position of dubious utility and very small sacrifice that gets immunity to the law and a lifelong salary that's bigger than the money I'll make in three lifetimes. So you know, anybody's dream life.

Still sounds like a better constitutionalmonarchy than what I read exists in Thailand. The monarch is supposed to be politically neutral, but there are draconian laws against insulting the royal family, expect jail time if you do. And the king perhaps exerts subtle control of politics beyond what he should actually have for a modern, human rights-respecting country. Democratic-republic constitutional monarchy otherwise, with all the instability that comes with that. Thailand sound like an in-between of Hispania and Saudi Arabia?

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

>Deportation of citizens

Oh.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

My personal theory on American ignorance is that most folks living here are so exhausted and that combined with the individualistic culture creates a situation where most people don't care about much things beyond their immediate needs and wants.

But also America is a continent so any vacation climate they could have is there. Only two countries border us, one of those countries is basically just us but again.

There's a reason why a large number of Americans don't have passports. Want a chilly vacation, there's Alaska and the northern states. A tropical vacation? Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Want to camp in the forest? Basically everywhere. Disney? You got California and Florida.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

The Northwestern states are culturally linked, we have a mutual hatred towards each other and also all hate California including California. From BC to SoCal we could be our own country.

Ah yes, the Balkans.

but there are draconian laws against insulting the royal family, expect jail time if you do.

Europe has this too, except it's just for people in positions of power in general. You insult an elected official, that's a fine. Make fun of one, that's the police breaking down your door.

15 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

ke2XGSu.png

Fuck me this could actually end the Ironman if i am not careful. He can one shot Veyle from 10 range

FUCK

I think maybe you shouldn't have done an Ironman as your first RR run.

Edited by Armagon

fOLHj9m.png

Her having a 2 ranged option + 60% bonded shield + Hurricane axe combined honestly makes her a menance

>Deportation of citizens

Ü

Europe has this too, except it's just for people in positions of power in general. You insult an elected official, that's a fine. Make fun of one, that's the police breaking down your door

depends, but yet we had a case of here a couple years ago

I think maybe you shouldn't have done an Ironman as your first RR run.

I like me some challenge and i thought i knew the game enough

Ofc enemies having access to Emblems they never had to in the base game + changes to them in enemy form (2 range bonded shield for Lucina, 2 range dance for Byleth, etc) is certainly making it harder and more exciting than expected. I am pretty sure i never played ch.17 like this, but i also brought a big range of staves with me to deal with this..

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

but i also brought a big range of staves with me to deal with this..

Famous last words.

If you travel, you'll might know geography. If you have friends/family who live elsewhere, you should know geography. If you live near the border of another country, you ought to know a little geography. If you're a nerd, of course you'll know geography.🤓

Everyone else? I perfectly understand if they don't.

Yeah, pretty much. Happens with all skills and knowledge, lot easier to learn when you get actual, practical use out of it. Entertainment/enjoyment is also a use!

I occasionally have to give geography lessons to family, and not just kids. Like pointing how large Alaska is, which surprises them (a lack of understanding due to it being disconnected from the lower 48, an educational map of the USA that doesn't want to fit in all of Canada will relegate Alaska to a disconnected inset that downsizes it). I've also had to give repeated lessons on the four components of the United Kingdom, which isn't a lot to memorize, but I understand why they forget. -Even if it raises my blood pressure.🤦‍♂️

Oof... It's Wales, Scotland, North Ireland and England, correct? Ironically, the one that gave me a bit of trouble was England. It's so common to use UK, England and Britain interchangeably that it gave me a bit of pause.

Medieval maps made by the Arabic/Islamic world, I remember reading, were actually aligned with south at top and north on bottom.:

6221f49bd2c5522a7731a7c38db9862a.jpg

Eyup. It's all relative. We've just sort of all agreed on one standard at this point in time, but out there in space? Anything goes.

Still sounds like a better constitutionalmonarchy than what I read exists in Thailand. The monarch is supposed to be politically neutral, but there are draconian laws against insulting the royal family, expect jail time if you do. And the king perhaps exerts subtle control of politics beyond what he should actually have for a modern, human rights-respecting country. Democratic-republic constitutional monarchy otherwise, with all the instability that comes with that. Thailand sound like an in-between of Hispania and Saudi Arabia?

Well, you do get in trouble if you insult the king here as well, but... Less, I guess? I think it's only like, a fine, maybe a short jail sentence if the insult is grave. Which I hate, but you don't really need me to tell you that, because I think I've been vocal enough about my opinion on the Spanish royal family. For what it's worth, though, I don't believe this is enacted all that often, and there have been attempts at removing it, but neither center left nor right seem all too willing to hit the royals too harshly.

I'd say the bolded part is probably a good way to put it. Not that I know anything about how Thailand works, but here in Spain they're basically just there. They're a "symbol of unity" for the country, they do a few token tasks, they occasionally travel around to visit world leaders - like when the king flew to Argentina to visit Javier Milei. The only other politician who did that was Santiago Abascal, leader of the extreme right party, and... well, more on that later. It becomes relevant again further in the post.

15 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

ke2XGSu.png

Fuck me this could actually end the Ironman if i am not careful. He can one shot Veyle from 10 range

FUCK

Lyn is an enemy on that map in RR?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Europe has this too, except it's just for people in positions of power in general. You insult an elected official, that's a fine. Make fun of one, that's the police breaking down your door.

The right flings all sorts of colorful insults at President Sanchez on a daily basis. They call him Perro Sanchez (Dog Sanchez), Pinocchio, Falconetti (in reference to the falcon, the private jet for the president that every president has always used but they claim he uses too much?), felon, traitor, dictator, and that's when they're not actually just straight up throwing regular-ass insults at him. There's a lot of that too. His opponent also gets some to a much lesser extent, some call him Frijol or make references to his "friendship" with drug dealers.

The mayor of Madrid called Sanchez a son of a bitch in Congress and then argued she was just saying "I like fruit" (they sort of not really read similarly in Spanish)

Santiago Abascal, the leader of Vox, the extreme right party, flew to Argentina to congratulate Javier Milei on his electoral victory and said, I quote, "one day they'll want to hang him by his feet", "they" being the people and "him" because, of course, Sanchez. The blatant Mussolini allegory becomes even funnier when you consider these guys are Mussolini apologists. Because, well, of course they are.

Right-wing extremists brought a dummy looking like Sanchez out to the streets and beat the shit out of it while spewing the customary names.

Absolutely nothing has happened to any of these people. Sanchez's party has sued against the dummy, because of the whole, y'know, not-so-subtly making a call to brutally murder the president, and I think Abascal caught some heat because of the whole, y'know, casually talking about the brutal murder of the president with another world leader, but that's about it.

What I mean to say is, I wrongfully used "American" before and you're using "Europe" wrong again now. I don't know about other countries but overhere it's not nearly the hellscape of political oppression you make it out to be. It's basically just the "insults against the crown" crap. But I'll give you that one. I'm not about to defend that, I fucking hate it myself.

moEBvCn.png

3 bosses remaining

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lyn is an enemy on that map in RR?

Lyn

Eirika

Byleth with 2 range aoe dance (you heard that right). Ai can't use it to maximum effect, yet still screwed me over in the first 2-3 turns and had to change my plan right after battle preps lmao

Lucina with 2 range 60% Bonded shield...that thankfully never proc'd? lol

Corrin oh Zephia - a flying debuffer how fun

And Ike!Vander

Yes, it's scary, it's also why i decided i will go all out with the staves lmao

GRWJD9-2024-01-15-16-39-33.png

I was going to wait exactly a month since J, but I felt like cutting it shorter.😅 And now I’ve got a dram of glum again (thankfully not a full burst), so I treat myself to a sip of amrita. -Tomorrow, another sip of RF5 tonight.

Oof... It's Wales, Scotland, North Ireland and England, correct?

Correct!😃

It might not matter in ten years. Though I'm totally unaware of how the post-Brexit situation has been playing out.

Ironically, the one that gave me a bit of trouble was England. It's so common to use UK, England and Britain interchangeably that it gave me a bit of pause.

England has always been the predominant nation on the Isle of Britain. It conquered Wales (Edward I in 1282), while Northern Ireland is a remnant of centuries of English intervention/occupation in Ireland (began by Henry II in 1171).

Scotland had its history of independence, despite English attempts to conquer it (Edward I did for a time- that terrible Braveheart movie), and Scotland in alliance with France harassed England on its northern border for a while. But then Elizabeth I to her death was the virgin queen, and so the son of the woman she executed (Mary, Queen of Scots) legitimately took the throne in 1603 as James I of England/Wales/Ireland (James VI of Scotland). The official Act of Union binding England-Wales-Ireland and Scotland together as the Kingdom of Great Britain, not merely two kingdoms with a shared monarch (a personal union), came in 1706/7.

England has always been the most the most populous, most politically powerful, most economically wealthy, and the most self-important of the nations upon the Isle of Britain. It should be no surprise English and British became synonymous. Scotland comes in second in the demographics, and I take it is generally more humble than England, as if Scotland is the Canada to England's USA.

Keep in mind that for both England and Scotland, the south have greater demographic weight than the north. Southeastern England is where London is, as well as Oxford and Cambridge, so it has long been the most self-important part of the most self-important nation of Britain. For Scotland, the country can be divided into highlands and lowlands. The overwhelming majority of Scots live in the lowlands and it's where the major cities are, the highlands are too mountainous for a big population. But, since the early 1800s, the highlands have been culturally romanticized about by the outside world as the land of noble savage warriors with Counter, or something. A stereotype that got haphazardly expanded to encompass all of Scotland (hence that anachronistic inaccurate cinematic garbage that is Braveheart).

Right-wing extremists brought a dummy looking like Sanchez out to the streets and beat the shit out of it while spewing the customary names.

The fancy English word for this is "effigy". Although hanging them or burning them as you march down the street in protest is the centuries-old customary way of making a possible death threat.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Ej1Scty.png

*Chain Attack.mp3*

rFn6rqh.png

Losses: Freeze staff, 2/3 of a rescue staff

WOOHOO

That was an experience

Famous last words.

I lost no one 😛 

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Eyup. It's all relative. We've just sort of all agreed on one standard at this point in time, but out there in space? Anything goes.

Can't wait for a few thousand years when the poles reverse.

Absolutely nothing has happened to any of these people.

No you see it's ok when they do it.

What I mean to say is, I wrongfully used "American" before and you're using "Europe" wrong again now. I don't know about other countries but overhere it's not nearly the hellscape of political oppression you make it out to be. It's basically just the "insults against the crown" crap. But I'll give you that one. I'm not about to defend that, I fucking hate it myself.

Yeah it doesn't happen often and I think most countries where that law is on the books don't always pull it out. But the idea of not being able to criticize your officials is an outdated one.

Can go further than that actually. At least in UK the defamation laws are broken. There's a reason why JK Rowling can get away with threatening legal action against anyone who calls her out in those islands. In Italy, a rapper got sued for defamation for calling the prime minister a fascist.