• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Some cool moments and character interactions here and there, but writing is as plain as it gets most of the time.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No no, she was talking about the twist at the very end. Into which I won't go because, well, the twist at the very end lol, there's basically no bigger spoiler.

Without going into detail, though, she (and someone else there too) said that it was a twist that should've happened earlier in the story so it could capitalize on it properly, and as it is, they found themselves not caring about it whatsoever, which made the ending lose all weight with them. The game ending on a whimper made their already low opinion of the story sink even further.

11 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

I mean, it doesnt really matter since it doesnt break any rules.

I was just about to ask “aint that kinda not allowed around these parts?” til I saw this. 

I assume this section is an exception to the rule?

23 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Good to see the shipping wars are alive and well.

Speakin of shipping wars, I’ve been busy as all hell at work lately

On 3/19/2024 at 4:59 PM, Armagon said:

Nah, it's more open-world. But I'd say it's like a mix of open-world and Metroidvania with intended sequence breaks. Cause you can technically make your own path but there's a clear intended path as well and it goes beyond just recommended levels.

A strategy type game with metroidvania kinda elements? 🤔

Now you got me curious. 

Cant get it this week because the rent’s due, but Im definitely gonna grab a copy next week

22 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

I was just about to ask “aint that kinda not allowed around these parts?” til I saw this. 

I assume this section is an exception to the rule?

It is.

The Creative section also has an exception if you're the thread creator and you're making an update.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The game ending on a whimper made their already low opinion of the story sink even further.

The twist is pretty dumb ngl but as for the ending itself..... it's elevated by the epilogue. The epilogue is genuinely pretty damn cool, I can't think of many games that did it that way. At least that I've played.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Shotangel stoopid

I'd agree but the British Royal Family pulled the same stunt so if anything, that was genius writing.

cause one of them said that comparing UO to old FE is an insult to old FE, unless the comparison is being made to Archanea specifically, in which case it's an insult to UO.

Old FE wishes it had the level of worldbuilding UO does.

That's actually what elevates UO writing for me. Every single town, every single fort, every single church, has an entry in the logs. They didn't have to do that but they did. Additionally, practically everything gets a log. People, places, terminology, etc.

It also has visual worldbuilding too. Let me ask you something, could you actually tell the difference between Fire Emblem countries on a visual standpoint? And I don't just mean "oh this one's in the desert, that one's in the north". Being able to explore every book and cranny of Fevrith did wonders for it's worldbuilding.

30 bucks

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

got it for 40 on preorder lol

I payed $130, you guys are weak.

54 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

-video-

Imma need a Death Battle between you and Brightbow to see who hates video games the most.

44 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

A strategy type game with metroidvania kinda elements?

I mean it doesn't have Metroidvania elements exa- 

*Remembers how some characters will unlock stuff on the map for you*

.... actually maybe it does have Metroidvania elements for real.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Imma need a Death Battle between you and Brightbow to see who hates video games the most.

I don’t hate video games Armagon, they just don’t have the same appeal to me as they once did when I was younger. Also the video was to show that I’m nonplused by the fact that UO has very plain writing, it was as predictable as the rising of the sun.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The twist is pretty dumb ngl but as for the ending itself..... it's elevated by the epilogue. The epilogue is genuinely pretty damn cool, I can't think of many games that did it that way. At least that I've played.

I don't know how the epilogue of UO goes, so no comment there. I swear if you tell me it's just that every character gets their own ending scene where they interact with the protagonist or other characters, say their farewells and conclude their arcs, I'm putting Kaga's iconic picture on a sign and beating you on the head with it

Old FE wishes it had the level of worldbuilding UO does.

That's actually what elevates UO writing for me. Every single town, every single fort, every single church, has an entry in the logs. They didn't have to do that but they did. Additionally, practically everything gets a log. People, places, terminology, etc.

It also has visual worldbuilding too. Let me ask you something, could you actually tell the difference between Fire Emblem countries on a visual standpoint? And I don't just mean "oh this one's in the desert, that one's in the north". Being able to explore every book and cranny of Fevrith did wonders for it's worldbuilding.

I mean, fair, but the conversation here was about the plot, not about the worldbuilding. Remember that I argue Fates's class and weapon system add to its worldbuilding in a way that nobody ever gives it credit for. I'd still not argue Fates's plot is anything but a meme lol. It can have great worldbuilding and also have Baltros as its main villain.

...Though in all honestly, Baltros seems like the kind of character I'd be really fond of, if anything. I mean look at my pfp

I payed $130, you guys are weak.

Yeah, well, I don't have the level of confidence you have in Vanillaware.

...Or, honestly, most developers. I've never bought a collector's edition of anything and I'm not certain I ever will. It just seems like a major waste of money to me personally. I get value out of the game, not a few trinkets styled after it. Of course, there's the possibility that I love a game enough to want the trinkets styled after it, but by the time I've gotten the game and grown to love it, release date has come and gone and now I need to pay a scalper 500 bucks for the trinkets. Oof.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

swear if you tell me it's just that every character gets their own ending scene where they interact with the protagonist or other characters, say their farewells and conclude their arcs, I'm putting Kaga's iconic picture on a sign and beating you on the head with it

A step above Kaga I'd say. There's the ending slides because why wouldn't there be but I wasn't talking about that. I was referring to the epilogue. The playable epilogue. 

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

mean, fair, but the conversation here was about the plot, not about the worldbuilding. Remember that I argue Fates's class and weapon system add to its worldbuilding in a way that nobody ever gives it credit for. I'd still not argue Fates's plot is anything but a meme lol.

Fair.

But I'd still say UO is overall better written than Fire Emblem.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Though in all honestly, Baltros seems like the kind of character I'd be really fond of, if anything. I mean look at my pfp

Baltro is definitely a Ruben character honestly. Old garbage man with beard. Voice acting enhances it.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, well, I don't have the level of confidence you have in Vanillaware.

With Vanillaware, I just kept getting collector's editions on accident. Both GrimGrimiore and Dragon's Crown were the deluxe editions. And a friend of mine has the cards that came with 13 Sentinels and he plans on giving them to me.

So I said might as well and get UO's Monarch Edition.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

With Vanillaware, I just kept getting collector's editions on accident. Both GrimGrimiore and Dragon's Crown were the deluxe editions. And a friend of mine has the cards that came with 13 Sentinels and he plans on giving them to me.

I was reminded that I don't think I ever mentioned that I got Muramasa back in the day with the art scroll.:

1280x720.jpg

-I've since lost my copy of it, but I did have it hanging on my bedroom wall for years.

Reverse side:

mm5.jpgmm6.jpgmm7.jpg

A mishmash, but there can be something appealing in that, just as some museums have rooms that aren't so clear and curated, and instead are basically packed store rooms made presentable to the public.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was reminded that I don't think I ever mentioned that I got Muramasa back in the day with the art scroll.:

1280x720.jpg

-I've since lost my copy of it, but I did have it hanging on my bedroom wall for years.

Reverse side:

mm5.jpgmm6.jpgmm7.jpg

A mishmash, but there can be something appealing in that, just as some museums have rooms that aren't so clear and curated, and instead are basically packed store rooms made presentable to the public.

Yo this is pretty damn cool.

I'll likely post pictures of the UO artbook in the future.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I mean it doesn't have Metroidvania elements exa- 

*Remembers how some characters will unlock stuff on the map for you*

.... actually maybe it does have Metroidvania elements for real.

I’ll be interested to see how them flavors go together 

1 hour ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I don’t hate video games Armagon, they just don’t have the same appeal to me as they once did when I was younger. Also the video was to show that I’m nonplused by the fact that UO has very plain writing, it was as predictable as the rising of the sun.

I dont like some of the same games I did then, but that more has to do with not havin a 12 yr old’s reflexes anymore. I’ll always enjoy a good fantasy game with some atmosphere, particularly if its turn based

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

I was referring to the epilogue. The playable epilogue

I'll have to take a look, because if it is just Kaga's ending slides but instead of picking them on a menu you use Alain as a glorified cursor, I'm still beating you with the sign.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Baltro is definitely a Ruben character honestly. Old garbage man with beard. Voice acting enhances it.

He's been described to me as a very generic problem man, and the design is so lazy that I couldn't imagine them putting much more effort into him than that. I'd probably laugh at him.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Tbh

I think they should've cut Alain's A supports and marriage options by like 50-70%

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

I payed $130

I can get 5 games for that much money lol

11 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

they just don’t have the same appeal to me as they once did when I was younger.

Boomer

11 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

That bad, is it?

The supports in general are fine. Good to great even.

It's just...quite a few of Alain's exist for one reason only.

Then again, y'all know my opinion on "choose your waifubando" systems

31 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Tbh

I think they should've cut Alain's A supports and marriage options by like 50-70%

This reminds me of New Mystery and its insistence on giving Kris all the supports in the game, to the point where multiple characters ended up only getting the Kris support. It still gives them room to breathe a bit (certainly more than every other Archanea game) and sometimes they could be pretty great (Arran is my favorite character in the series from his one Kris support and a few auxiliary lines after all), but it'd be better if the extremely boring plank of wood protagonist didn't hog so many interactions.

...Except at least those weren't strictly intended to just be "which of the game's women will Kris fuck with his infinite personality-less rizz."

Edited by Saint Rubenio

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Then again, y'all know my opinion on "choose your waifubando" systems.

If there’s no incest then it ain’t worth shit.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

I will say tho

I do like how quite a few supports involve more than the 2 characters in the chain. Didn't happen that often at first, but going through the rest atm it keeps happening more.

16 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

If there’s no incest it ain’t worth shit.

Sweet home Cornia

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-