• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Scenario 4

Unsurprisingly, Kurama's spy assignment now includes keeping an eye on Nadia as well. With the heroes, they wonder just how her group and the Neo Atlanteans came to Al-Warth. They suspect they might've been summoned deliberately, but just then they're interrupted by a small fast flying thing. Himiko catches it and it's... a fairy. Dunbine's very own Chum, in fact.

Somewhere else, Show is waking up. He's recalling his fight with Bern Bunnings... ah, so in X, Dunbine is post-script. I don't know if that's also the case for UX and BX (turns out Dunbine was in both), but that's a bummer. Anyway, it looks like Dunbine's final battle has recently ended. Canonically, since Dunbine is a Tomino show, then EVERYBODY dies (except for Chum, according to supplemental material). Supposedly the spirit of Ciela sends everybody's souls as well as the mechs back to Byston Well. However, in this game, it looks like a still alive Show (he even notes his injuries are gone) instead ends up in Al-Warth. And not just him, as Tod is also here... and actually implies he's back to life? Did that happened to Show too? Hmm...

Anyway, it seems Tod is in a much better mood and state of mind, and even muses about how this looks similar to how they ended in Byston Well. Show wonders if it's really just they two, but Tod has seen no one else. However, that's not to last for Aura Battlers show up! They start firing at them. Tod tries to talk to them, but the Byston Wellians don't seem to care.

So, stage begins with only Tod playable in a Vierres. What, not his Wryneck? Okay, this map is where the first of the game's secrets unlocking process begins. As some of V's, this one is points based. Tod points. For now, Tod must destroy an enemy for a point.

Regarding secrets in this game. Sadly, X didn't follow on V in having secrets that get unlocked forever (those that aren't score based, that is). Well, I think there is one such secret, but the rest must be obtained every time... I think. I've found mention that points for point based secrets do stack across playthroughs. I don't know if that's truly a thing. So just in case, I'll try to get them all (planned routes permissible).

Okay, let's go!

Okay, got Tod to defeat an enemy. Once that happens (don't know about otherwise, maybe once Turn 2 rolls by?), the party has reached the area. Show and Chum reunite, and the latter says she has the Dunbine with her. Not the Bilbine? Huh? Anyway, Wataru tries to reason with the Byston Wellians, but turns out, they already know who he is and have orders to take him down. Welp, negotiations were short.

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

that's one of the options in consideration yup

There's quite a few Canada/America combos you could pull off.

Toronto/Buffalo (because of Niagra Falls)

Detroit/Windsor

Vancouver/Vancouver 

Those parks where you can travel within freely

2 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

I just hope i remember by the time i go there

I'll always be here if you need a refresher!😉

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

that's one of the options in consideration yup

NYC I know alright too.😉 Tell me the day and I'll make my own visit so we can meet IRL.

I suggest at a minimum the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Cloisters branch is pretty, but out of the way, so you could skip it) and the American Museum of Natural History. Both of these are BIG, the Met (NOT the Metropolitan Opera!) especially 😵, but you can walk almost a straight line across Central Park to reach the other. I personally really like New York Historical Society too, and it's right next to Natural History.😀 New York Public Library's flagship building is another local structure worth a quick visit, it's not too far from Broadway and Times Square and Rockefeller Center (where you'll find the Nintendo New York store if you want a little reminder of video games; RC is also where NYC's big Xmas tree goes up in December). Personally, I think you could skip the Empire State Building if you had to cut something out. The skyscraper is tall and famous yeah, but there isn't much you can do once you're in it, unless you want to take some elevators to the top for a good viewing platform from which to see the whole city.

I would suggest hitching a ride from Midtown Manhattan to Lower Manhattan/New York Harbor, don't walk it. Or if you've multiple days in NYC, perhaps you should save Lower/Harbor (9/11 Memorial & Museum, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island) for a separate day. Brooklyn I haven't spent much time in, though I did see the Brooklyn Museum (a smaller Met basically) and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Another word of advice- food ain't cheap in the Big Apple, there's a reason why chain restaurant menus in the US often have a "prices shown may not apply to NYC or Hawaii locations".

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Man, there's a good chunk there. I knew nothing of it.

DC? 

Not near the National Mall- Smithsonian American Art Museum + National Portrait Gallery (a painting of every single US president), the National Zoo (Smithsonian), the International Spy Museum, Ford's Theatre (where Lincoln got assassinated, the gun is in the basement), the FDR Memorial, Theodore Roosevelt Island (small forested riverine island that has a statue of the guy), the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. ...And other, less-known museums and memorials.😄 Arrive in the spring, and if you're lucky (peak bloom is a gamble to predict), you could get to see some cherry blossoms in full splendor. I believe you need to book your tickets well in advance (busy and security checks), but White House tours are a thing too, particularly during December when the Christmas decor (they begin planning it in like January) comes out in full force.

DC isn't far from Arlington National Cemetery and Mount Vernon either! The burial grounds of many of America's valiant, and I recall there are trollies tourists can take from DC to Arlington. Mount Vernon being the beautiful vast estate of George Washington -though its prosperity rested on the toil of slaves.😐

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Canonically, since Dunbine is a Tomino show, then EVERYBODY dies

I remember you said before Dunbine was in the "depressed" column of Tomino's works. I did not realize how far it went.😆

Heh, nice detail. Show has a portrait actually showing Chum on his shoulder.

So, with the enemies routed, Cruising Tom shows up... with more Drumlos. Unsurprisingly, Doakdar now has Aura Battlers in his ranks, it seems. Tom tries to recruit Show and Tod as well and... oh wow. Tom is quick to reconsider only hiring Show since he downed more enemies than Tod (this is the TacP Bonus of the map, but I wonder then how it goes if I didn't). This seems to bring Tod back to his old self... of wanting to prove himself better than Show, finding Al-Warth the perfect chance for a fresh start. And he joins Doakdar's army. Nuts. Chum does notes his aura's being distorted, and Spero notes it's affecting even the Od of the area.

So, happy with the outcome, Tom bails out, leaving Tod in charge. Show can't get him to back down. So, time to rout I guess.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I remember you said before Dunbine was in the "depressed" column of Tomino's works. I did not realize how far it went.😆

Yep. L-Gaim was his work right after Dunbine, which fares much better... if on comparison.

So, with Tod an enemy, another point can be obtained by having Show talk to him.

In addition, a Secret Scenario can be unlocking if Show defeats him. Well, the first step to unlock it.

*takes notes*

o7

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

food ain't cheap in the Big Apple, there's a reason why chain restaurant menus in the US often have a "prices shown may not apply to NYC or Hawaii locations".

Also you have that nefty thing with prices not including taxes, right?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Another word of advice- food ain't cheap in the Big Apple, there's a reason why chain restaurant menus in the US often have a "prices shown may not apply to NYC or Hawaii locations".

What you can bet on is that food being really good. And being the cultural capital world, there's a gigantic amount of options and variety.

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Personally, I think you could skip the Empire State Building if you had to cut something out. The skyscraper is tall and famous yeah, but there isn't much you can do once you're in it, unless you want to take some elevators to the top for a good viewing platform from which to see the whole city.

Tbf i think the Empire State Building is required the first time lol. 

Honestly @Codename Shrimp depending on the duration of your stay, you can comfortable knock out most of New England through the Northeastern Corridor

j8zuu8tpy1s91.jpg

this is Amtrak specifically but i think there's a few additional lines.

10 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

There's that but honestly, it hardly gets in the way, especially if you're paying with card. Most of the time, the added tax just brings it up a dollar or two more.

What you do need to keep in mind is tips. Rule of thumb is "if you are seated while served, you tip". Though, yesterday when we ate at a really good pork place in Disney Springs, they took my order up front as if it were a fast food place but the place was otherwise an actual restaurant (like you're handed a physical menu when you enter and everything) and the orders are only taken that way to facilitate the sheer number of guests. There was a bar inside too. That restaurant was probably the exception (not the bar part), most proper restaurants will take your order seated. What i'm saying is i tipped at that location. 

Anyways just tip what you're able. People say like 5% or some shit but a dollar or two is fine.

Do not tip at shit like Subway, even if they ask for it.

Edited by Armagon

Posted (edited)

@Codename Shrimp

Azario Lopez: As remakes and remasters become more of an option, is it tough not to want to go back and re-develop some of these stories?

Toshihiro Kondo: It’s a bit tough as a creator not to want to go and maybe touch up these old games and remake them. It is definitely a desire as a creator to do that. Honestly, I can’t talk about the details, but there is a title that we’re working on that could be considered a remake. Expect to hear about this title before the end of this year.

Kefin Kefin!😀

"Could be considered a remake" sounds like it isn't a full remake though, which Ys V would need. So it's probably something else, not sure what Sky Trilogy Enhanced but translated by NISA instead of XSEED to make it legally easier to port?.

Azario Lopez: Do you think there will ever be a Ys game that features Adol in his 30s?

Toshihiro Kondo: At the moment, I can’t say if the next Ys game will have Adol in his 30s or not, but we’re currently in the planning stages of figuring out what that next adventure will be. 

I’d love to do a sort of contrast to Ys X, which features a younger Adol (17), by following up with a more mature adventure. Thematically, I think it will fit better for what we have going on here. I don’t know whether or not it will actually be Adol in his 30s at this point.

Adol with a beard?😛 -While it looked dark and all, please don't give us Balduq 2.0 at this time.

19 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Yep. Those won't be added in until you ask for the check.

And as Arma said, you have plenty of food choices. The Hell's Kitchen neighborhood in Midtown got it's name for a reason! ...Though we always play it safe and go with something American, limited palette concerns.😅

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

this is Amtrak specifically

Honestly I was thinking of that for DC this time, which would be new to me (Washington Union Station drops you off north of the east end of the National Mall, close enough to maybe walk or a quick rideshare to a hotel in the central tourist area). I did like once or twice years ago for NYC too. I recall coming back from The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses concert on it, noticing a stranger who also attended the event, as they had a Keaton Mask with them.

33 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yep. L-Gaim was his work right after Dunbine, which fares much better... if on comparison.

*Thinks of Olibee's fate.*

...Though it's only one character, and an outcome not as generically darkdark as murdering everyone. It's interesting in its own way. ...Hold on. Zeta immediately followed L-Gaim. Tomino reusing the idea, but the changing the target to the protagonist themselves?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

People say like 5% or some shit but a dollar or two is fine.

so no horror 20% i keep hearing about?

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

j8zuu8tpy1s91.jpg

naruhodo.gif

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

lease don't give us Balduq 2.0 at this time.

Yeah enough Trails with Ys gameplay

Okay, did the steps correctly. Tod flees.

After this, it's made clear Doakdar has to be the one behind the summonings, wanting to bolster his army with Otherworlders. Eh, Jean, why are you mentioning Masaki? He's not here. Oh lol, someone mixed up the text strings! XD Or maybe he was actually there and met Jean and Nadia, but got lost before they meet up with the party. I mean, he's Masaki, it's totes possible! lol And, hmm, Show seems to muse that perhaps he and Tod being in Al-Warth means they had nowhere else to go...

Azario Lopez: Do you think there will ever be a Ys game that features Adol in his 30s?

Toshihiro Kondo: At the moment, I can’t say if the next Ys game will have Adol in his 30s or not, but we’re currently in the planning stages of figuring out what that next adventure will be. 

I’d love to do a sort of contrast to Ys X, which features a younger Adol (17), by following up with a more mature adventure. Thematically, I think it will fit better for what we have going on here. I don’t know whether or not it will actually be Adol in his 30s at this point.

Adol with a beard?😛 -While it looked dark and all, please don't give us Balduq 2.0 at this time.

Still waiting for that story in how he becomes Santa Claus.

*Thinks of Olibee's fate.*

...Though it's only one character, and an outcome not as generically darkdark as murdering everyone. It's interesting in its own way. ...Hold on. Zeta immediately followed L-Gaim. Tomino reusing the idea, but the changing the target to the protagonist themselves?

Could be. The pendulum was swinging back to the other side, after all.

The game loads the map into her pistol. Amazing. Love it.

Also, turns out the game heals you at each checkpoint, guess they thought it was too much to do on the amount of health most players would have. And certainly not me with how much I've been stumbling into trouble.

And to the pirate who stole the power bomb off the statue clearly meant to represent a virility deity, I hate you.

That sequence for getting the Gravity Suit's great actually, with the cutscene beforehand, the (admittedly easy enough fight) and the sheer power trip of running around with Plasma, Gravity Suit and Screw Attack all at once through these pirates as the Brinstar theme gets turned up a notch. Love me some overcoming trauma and demolishing your causes of that through sheer power.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mount Vernon being the beautiful vast estate of George Washington -though its prosperity rested on the toil of slaves.😐

Is there more going on than being the historical estate I assume it is?

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf i think the Empire State Building is required the first time lol. 

.....I am going to have to hope the US doesn't implode before I get there again huh?

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

j8zuu8tpy1s91.jpg

this is Amtrak specifically but i think there's a few additional lines.

Okay, I remember spending about $100 per ticket to get from from a small town in Maryland to.... I think we met up with the next set in Trenton. Would that be regular? Asking for future reference.

Screenshot_2024-07-08-19-54-04-60_40deb4

Power just flickered.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Though we always play it safe and go with something American, limited palette concerns.😅

Speaking of American, remember American food portions. My cousin ordered a large meal at Stake n Shake, did not finish it. Although, she does like cold fast food, this girl is not only pickier than I am but has some additional strange tastes.

3 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

so no horror 20% i keep hearing about?

Nah. Like, sure they'd *like it* if you do that 20% but they're cool as long as you tip something.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I am going to have to hope the US doesn't implode before I get there again huh?

Come during the 2026 world cup as an excuse.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Okay, I remember spending about $100 per ticket to get from from a small town in Maryland to.... I think we met up with the next set in Trenton. Would that be regular? Asking for future reference.

I've never been to Maryland aside from just passing by, not have I ever ridden an Amtrak so I cannot be sure on this. 

I'll say that while Amtrak does have a longer reach beyond just the Corridor, it is not worth it for longer trips. Like, don't take the Amtrak from DC to like uhhhhhhh Huston unless you really like the sights passing by.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:45 AM, Codename Shrimp said:

Canada in semis is so fucking wild wtf

Inb4 they go and win the whole thing....although i really really doubt they can defeat the current best team in the world lol

Nah, we'd win.

Scenario 5

A conversation about Doakdar having to rely on Otherworlders prompts Spero to explain the current states of things in Al-Warth. Turns out, it's not very united. It barely has much in the sense of nation-states. Just two large "spheres of civilization", with much else just scattered about. The two happen to be the Land of Mana (Cross Ange making its second appearance in SRW after debuting in V), and the other is the Land of Beasts. Saying this now, but SRW X's roster actually includes Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's only other appearance outside the Zverse (mainline games, speaking). Aw yeah! I can't wait for it, hehehe...

Anyway, as with Wataru's setting, both Cross Ange and Gurren Lagann are fully integrated with Al-Warth. They do specify Mana is a different thing from Dogma... which is definitely bound to be an important factoid, methinks. As for the Beastmen and their history being explained, this game starts after the time skip. The game's roster also includes the second movie, The Lights in the Sky are Stars. I think both movies are adaptations of the anime? Well, in any case, the group decides to head to the Land of Mana and ask for their help against Doakdar.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Nah, we'd win.

This ain't hockey!

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Is there more going on than being the historical estate I assume it is?

I mean, it's mostly a big green estate with a quaint -small by modern standards- mansion on it. 

It does have the slave quarters intact, and the slave cemetery, and the modern addition of a slave memorial. And the information you'll read along the way on a visit will include talk of slaves. -But you could very easily remain lost in the historic beauty of the plantation. -Though we should remember how that came to be, wealth and inhumanity. An all too common combination historically.

The official website has a free virtual tour, were thou so bored. I advise getting a look at that magnificent waterfront, it's even better in person. (A location selector on the virtual tour will let you go to whichever part you want to see.)

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Power just flickered.

🤞

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Speaking of American, remember American food portions.

...I completely forgot that.😅 Because I don't mind them and have known nothing else.😆

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This ain't hockey!

We sacrificed our hockey skill in order to win at the Copa America! Everyone thought the Oilers were just bad, but it was in fact part of our plan all along!

I can already imagine the outrage if a country that calls the sport "soccer" wins the tournament

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hello! I'd actually meant to do a big post that said "The Bitch Is Back" a couple of weeks back, but it was the same day Dayni was resurrected and I didn't want to be a copycat.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Benice said:

We sacrificed our hockey skill in order to win at the Copa America!

You had to do it on Venezuela's independence day so I'm eternally praying for mapleland's downfall /s

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

can already imagine the outrage if a country that calls the sport "soccer" wins the tournament

This just in, Japan wins the 2026 World Cup.

Anyways glad to see you back, how have you been?

Edited by Armagon

Elsewhere, a ship is being attacked by... Mobile Suits!

Alright, this is it. One of the highlights of X's roster is that it's the debut and so far only appearance of:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Reconguista in G

G Reco is an interesting entry in the Gundam franchise. Since it was created by The Man. The Myth. The Legend. Yoshiyuki Tomino himself! Returning to work on Gundam again after a long pause... due to retirement, I think? Other than a short Gundam related work in 2009, his last big thing were The Wings of Rean OVAs and Zeta Gundam compilations movies in 2006, and then the last original Gundam thing of his was Turn ∀ Gundam in 2000.

Hmm. A man who helps create a franchise. Directs several works for it all within a single continuity. Eventually stops as others work on the franchise he created with further works now taking place in different continuities, while he himself works on some other stuff before finally seemingly coming to a stop. Then years later he more or less goes back to his roots by making a new series related to his original franchise. Where have I seen this before...

bowloflentils on X: "One of the most prevalent online photos of Fire  Emblem's creator, Shouzou Kaga, comes from a 1994 Famitsu interview,  specifically a black-and-white scan featured on Shmuplations. However, I  recentlyYoshiyuki Tomino (Creator) - TV Tropes

I just can't put my finger on it...

But yeah. SRW X having both UC Gundam and G Reco is quite significant. Having Amuro and Bellri joining forces and fighting side by side would be like having a game where Marth and Zade team up. The difference is that G Reco is still in the same continuity as the Universal Century, just taking place in the far future, while Vestaria isn't to Archanea. Tomino making G Reco would be as if Kaga had been the one to make Awakening, as it were.

So, just like the Nadia cast, the G Reco guys were transported from their world to Al-Warth. We have the battleship Megafauna, under assault by the... Capital Army? From the dialogue, the plot of G Reco is definitely starting at some mid-point... or maybe it's still early enough? It's definitely not from the very beginning like Wataru, for sure. In any case, Bellri and Aida deploy. Okay, let's Go!

Just now, Armagon said:

You had to do it on Venezuela's independence day so I'm eternally praying for mapleland's downfall /s

We just wanted to make sure that your players were independent from the outcome of the rest of the tournament.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Anyways glad to see you back, how have you been?

I've been good! I'm mostly the same, I think. Uni is soooo much better than high school, though! I'm literally the only oboist at UVic, so even though I was a first year student I had to be the principal oboist for the orchestra already (Basically every other section leader is either 4th year or a grad student). Victoria is incredibly beautiful, I could see Mt. Baker from my bedroom window, and I get to study music education- I am so grateful. Also, coming out of high school I scored the highest grade possible on both of the AP English exams for NA, so that made me feel proud! A bit of a shame I'm likely not to go into any field where my prowess in the subject is useful...

It's not all rosy of course, (and the feckin' walls at the residence were paper-thin so I could hear EVERYTHING my neighbours did at night, and man do I wish they weren't so socially successful) but overall I am good! I'm rather cross with myself right now because I left my job and was supposed to finish my lifeguard training this week, but it turns out I forgor to do all the prerequisites and now I'm just unemployed and not in training. My boss is gonna hire me back because he's still understaffed and I've worked there for a long time, but it's kinda cringe nevertheless.

Hobby-wise, I decided that I didn't want to be happy and started playing chess, and now I'm kinda obsessed. I've also been thinking of travel a lot lately, though I'm sure it's many years off until I'll actually go anywhere (I do want to do a huge bike trip all the way across Europe at some point- Azerbaijan all the way to Ireland!). I've also barely played video games this year, but I've had a ton of fun with the Elden Ring DLC so far.

It's good to be back!

Posted (edited)

So, defeating a couple enemies in, more show up. Captain Donyell signals the retreat, but one of the enemies, a guy with a face mask named... Mask (well, can't have Gundam without one), intercepts. Bellri pushes him back, and finally the party arrives. Interestingly, Show and Chum recognize the mechs as Mobile Suits and Gundams, but not these specifically. Wataru once again tries to talk things out, but Mask orders to attack, declaring anyone unnaffiliate with the Empire of Mitsurugi to be eliminated. Oh boy, a team up between the G Reco and Cross Ange antagonists? So it's helping out the Megafauna it is. Which, at last, a battleship!

On the subject of battleships, sadly Bright sits this game out. Which, curiously enough, also happened back in EX. In EX I think it was because they wanted to use the Dunbine battleships instead, as there's two, fittingly to have one in Masaki's route and the other in Lune's (and in fact, you get to choose while playing a route, and by transferring data, the other defaults to the remaining route), and Shu's being battleship-less. For here in X, I think it's because Unicorn doesn't come back, and until T, they seemed to avoid having Bright show up or just have him on reused dialogue ever since his original VA died. Unicorn had to give him a new one, but it seems it could only show up with Unicorn, then? As I said, T would finally break that rule, if there was one.

Hmm... missing out on La Gias and now Al-Warth. What's with Bright missing out on traveling to the OG sub-worlds? Licensed ones are fair game, but not these ones?

Anyway, objective is to defeat Mask. A second secret starts here, with Mask points. Bellri defeating him grants a point. Let's go!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Benice said:

I've been good! I'm mostly the same, I think. Uni is soooo much better than high school, though! I'm literally the only oboist at UVic, so even though I was a first year student I had to be the principal oboist for the orchestra already

😆

As one who enjoyed their time in the ivory towers, glad you're doing so too!😀

Victoria is incredibly beautiful, I could see Mt. Baker from my bedroom window,

Nice! Nature is good for the soul, may it soothe you when uni times are rough!

No major natural beauties by my uni ...although the ocean was like a 10 minute drive away.😅 Still, it had some old-ish buildings, and a colonnade next to a reflecting pool with two big trees among them. I recall sitting on a bench in the shade there once on a spring day between classes, I could've died content there, I had found nirvana.😄

It's not all rosy of course, (and the feckin' walls at the residence were paper-thin so I could hear EVERYTHING my neighbours did at night, and man do I wish they weren't so socially successful)

...By pure coincidence, for years, if I've had this college-studying metaphor in my head that would try to explain to someone what a Pure Land is in Buddhism. The "attempting to attain enlightenment on Earth is hard" half of the metaphor would've been the worst college dorm ever, including walls over which one whilst sitting in bed trying to study could hear loud music and uh, sweet-nothings.

-As I never resided in a dorm during my college existence, thank you for confirming part of my silly comparison!🤣

Hobby-wise, I decided that I didn't want to be happy and started playing chess, and now I'm kinda obsessed.

Have fun with that old game! I could never get into it, I lack sufficient forethought.😅 Now expand your cultural horizons and go try Go.

(I do want to do a huge bike trip all the way across Europe at some point- Azerbaijan all the way to Ireland!)

I've heard of Georgians supposedly thinking of themselves as Europeans, I guess I can see their mutual bad-blood neighbors then qualifying too? It is west of the Urals, and further north than Turkey. But let's abolish the fiction that is Europe as its own geographic continent and just say "Eurasia".

...The Black Sea and Caspian Sea leave Georgia and Azerbaijan in a weird geographic situation.