• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8ymqvu.jpg

I needed a meme to express this emotional response

For the Paradox players in this topic:

YZdrh7mrqFxKKer4EdXdb-1200-80.png.webp

The officially-unannounced (it's using a codename, but everyone can tell what it is) Europa Universalis 5, in its present developmental version, has a Holy Roman Empire comprised of 357 individual states. EU4 apparently has less than 100.

Each of these independent actors having to individually run the many calculations that define the nonstop AI decision-making in these kinds of games... I hope your computers don't melt.

Maduro you aren't supposed to go over 100% lmaooo. Not even Putin would've done that, and he's the guy who wins 99% of the vote.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Maduro you aren't supposed to go over 100% lmaooo. Not even Putin would've done that, and he's the guy who wins 99% of the vote.

The 44.2% was actually 4.2%

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For the Paradox players in this topic:

YZdrh7mrqFxKKer4EdXdb-1200-80.png.webp

The officially-unannounced (it's using a codename, but everyone can tell what it is) Europa Universalis 5, in its present developmental version, has a Holy Roman Empire comprised of 357 individual states. EU4 apparently has less than 100.

Each of these independent actors having to individually run the many calculations that define the nonstop AI decision-making in these kinds of games... I hope your computers don't melt.

Oh, we're finally at that point, huh.

Perhaps soon enough I can finally advance my megacampaign, then.

2024072911432800-s-1.jpg

Vanillaware approves.😋

(There is a gallery in the start menu, it might have this CG -minus text & people in the way- in it now that I've seen the image. But I'm not going to check the gallery until the story is done, and just take it all during the lingering catharsis of game completion.)

Level-5 I presume takes its own pride in 2D visual quality. Looking at their record, they developed in the 2010s, a liking for making their IPs multimedia but is it wise to give everything an anime when you're not rich?, and if you make a TV animation to go with the game, you better make it look nice. And even before that, the original Professor Layton was praised for its presentation. Decorative decals you can throw on your Rogues based on some of their prior IPs (including Little Battles Experience, I heard LBX was Custom Robo-ish- robotic action figures fighting each other) are buyable ingame.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, we're finally at that point, huh.

The idea popped into my head- with over 300 polities, think they'd include the fiefdom of an Imperial Knight or two? An aristocratic rags-to-riches story- from owning a fief you'd need an electron microscope to see, to progeny that somewhere down the line becomes Holy Roman Emperor.

Also:

ireland-and-wales.jpg?q=70&fit=crop&w=15

A more fractured Ireland than in EU4. A semi-autonomous Wales. And a Scotland divided due to the kingship contention of Edward Balliol. 

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Perhaps soon enough I can finally advance my megacampaign, then.

I think they said the starting year for EU this time is 1337? Which looks like they're using the outbreak of the Hundred Years' War as the starting point.

The odd thing about this epoch-timing though, is that the historical Black Death is only a decade away from the start. I hope you don't love your starting population total too much.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 7/23/2024 at 11:22 AM, Armagon said:

I am now 24 years old

Late but

Happy belated birthday and congratulations on officially being old by Trails standards (at least according to Aaron)!

Edited by Lightchao42

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think they said the starting year for EU this time is 1337? Which looks like they're using the outbreak of the Hundred Years' War as the starting point.

The odd thing about this epoch-timing though, is that the historical Black Death is only a decade away from the start. I hope you don't love your starting population total too much.

I know that's the date, but it's still funny to see it being 1337. XD

Still, geez, more than a hundred years back? Since EUIV's starting date is 1441.

Of all the bullshit to learn over a decade later, learning my monograss Emerald run deleted itself because it was ran off a crappy Emerald rom is not one I anticipated.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's almost a joke, someone who can act this confident about his grip on the system and not be bothered to see that it tracks.

Even if it's a fuckup (And let's be blunt, that would be stupid generous in interpretation) and not just not giving a fuck because you're untouchable, it's still a bad look. The response not being massively escalated compared to prior elections is likely why I can't see this changing at the moment. In a point of frustration, it feels like it doesn't matter.

Edited by Dayni

22 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The response not being massively escalated compared to prior elections is likely why I can't see this changing at the moment. In a point of frustration, it feels like it doesn't matter.

Wanna know the worst part? In this polarized world, I have to deal with both left and right wingers using my second homeland for brownie points.

Because on the one hand, you got the left-wing anti-Americans who unironically think Venezuela's elections were fair and balanced. Then you got the right wingers who oppose the Maduro regime but for all the wrong reasons. And when you got Elon Musk advocating for opposition, now even people who don't lean super left but still distrust the right are like "well if Musk is saying it, then that means Maduro is good after all" so now showing discontent with Maduro puts you in the side of the fascists. And now Maduro has a new wave of dicksuckers because he supports Palestine, when you know damn well he's only doing that to oppose America specifically.

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

I am already hungry man - and diet is not helping xD

Will keep in mind as I nosh on my cheesesteak-flavored calzone.😋

22 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

V2ozWOq.png

She doesn't like what she's seeing

But I do.😋

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I know that's the date, but it's still funny to see it being 1337. XD

Still, geez, more than a hundred years back? Since EUIV's starting date is 1441.

Europa Universalis is supposed to cover Early Modern? Has Paradox found a quorum of reputable historians who would argue for a 1337 Early Modern start date? -Or are they merely looking to take advantage of Crusader Kings' popularity (the most of any of their franchises?)?

As a current victim, bruh

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Wanna know the worst part? In this polarized world, I have to deal with both left and right wingers using my second homeland for brownie points.

What fun /s

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Because on the one hand, you got the left-wing anti-Americans who unironically think Venezuela's elections were fair and balanced. Then you got the right wingers who oppose the Maduro regime but for all the wrong reasons. And when you got Elon Musk advocating for opposition, now even people who don't lean super left but still distrust the right are like "well if Musk is saying it, then that means Maduro is good after all" so now showing discontent with Maduro puts you in the side of the fascists. And now Maduro has a new wave of dicksuckers because he supports Palestine, when you know damn well he's only doing that to oppose America specifically.

A degree of caring more about your own cause in it at too, just, *sigh I don't have a thing to add on that, just, sheesh.

And hey, just an aside if you hadn't seen it, but least there's proof he didn't get votes somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Europa Universalis is supposed to cover Early Modern? Has Paradox found a quorum of reputable historians who would argue for a 1337 Early Modern start date? -Or are they merely looking to take advantage of Crusader Kings' popularity (the most of any of their franchises?)?

It feels like the latter to me.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But I do.😋

Hana:

ultimate-bonk-bonk.gif

(Like Takumi needed more negative reinforcement)

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

EUIV covers from 1441 to 1821. It is meant to take place after the Middle Ages. The Hundred Years War is still the Late Middle Ages, I'd say. Or they want a transitional event into the War of the Roses, maybe?

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

EUIV covers from 1441 to 1821. It is meant to take place after the Middle Ages. The Hundred Years War is still the Late Middle Ages, I'd say. Or they want a transitional event into the War of the Roses, maybe?

😕

Why that year for the end-date? Wouldn't 1789 or 1815 make the better bookend?

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

😕

Admittedly, I don't know.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

😕

Ideally they should end it at 1836 as it is also the start date for Victoria 3 as well as covering the Latin American Wars of Independence, something that just doesn't happen in any Paradox game because of the skip of years between Europa and Victoria.

Victoria has been consistent with its start date. All three games begin in 1836. It's not long before its namesake's Coronation, and it has some stuff happening already like the Texan rebellion and the lead-up to the Oriental Crisis. And mods are quick to add others, like the Farrapos War.

A skip between EUIV and Victoria is certainly weird, but not as much as CKII to EUIV, since it goes back in time instead (from 1453 to 1441).

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Oh! Maybe they chose 1821 since it's the year Napoleon died? Most of the Latin American wars of independence had already ended as well or were winding down (barring Peru's which lasted until 1826). Greece (or at least part of it) also rose in rebellion from the Ottoman Empire, which would begin its era of decline ("Sick Man of Europe" would be coined a little more than ten years after).

So 1821 was certainly a sign of the end of an era.

Edited by Acacia Sgt