Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

If looking more modern, and have either a PS4 or Switch, I would say the VTX trilogy are now as good point as any. Though they have to be actually bought from the East Asian online stores. The flip side is that they have official English translations.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Niiiiiice!😄

Aye. Also imported A and D too. And got Alpha and Alpha Gaiden on my PS3, bought from the PSN. And VTX on my Switch. And 30 on Steam.

A small if honest collection.

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I guess it wasn't as notorious as the other two news, but...

Though FMP's story in its entirety has been adapted already, thanks to Z3 and V, when it comes to its anime adaptations we've only got until The Second Raid. But now Invisible Victory is finally makings its debut. From my understanding, the anime can do one final fourth season to cover the remaining stuff. But who knows when it may happen. Invisible Victory itself already had quite the time gap from The Second Raid. 2005 for TSR, and 2018 for IV.

@Dayni As you can kinda relate (don't read if you've a want to be in convivial mood) 🚬...

Spoiler

...politics with family came up, something unbelievably outlandish to me was said, and against every angel of my better nature, I snapped. From 0 to 800kmh in 10 seconds (I swore, which I never do).😑

-Thankfully, within like 45 minutes, I was forgiven. And then I told was to stop apologizing, b/c it getting to be too much for them, I could stop doing the nonstop apologizing (the bowing was too much). I'm fortunate they, despite where our views differ, don't actually care about politics all that much.😅 And they still very much love me (and they don't like my inability to forgive myself). Their real worry, they say, is if I reacted like this in public, a random person could be less willing to tolerate such inexcusable behavior, with costly consequences for me.👊🤕 Although I tell them it's precisely because they're close family, not strangers, that I accidentally react this way, I feel freer to express.

This isn't the first time it has happened, I should know better. I try so much to, to avoid, to stay silent, to bear with it. And yet, I failed. I can't forgive myself. What's the point to all the introspection in the world if this kind of thing repeats itself?😔 And curse my autism -it's that kind of mood right now.

Even worse, this time, they suggested I move out, as they have before, a boarding house, thinking maybe that would be better for me. I outright said what I've internally thought of that threat before- like they have the guts and heartlessness to do that to me? More absolute idiocy on my part. The thing is, living on my own could be better for me, maybe as a step towards autonomy, towards existential satisfaction. Yet, I can't, I'm too dependent on family.😣 And I've never lived in any house but one, so it'd be a double shock on my system, I can already feel the waterworks from unease it'd bring on.

-This makes me realize, I need the Internet forum.🙁 In a medium and format that moves faster, where I don't have to take my time processing and relaying my words, I would be a horrible mess. Which wouldn't reflect -I hope- what I truly am.

...And then there is the fact that I was intending very soon, whenever the moment was right, to attempt to get them to take me seriously on my 💞 desires. I feel like I've ruined things with my foolish, foolish, foolish outburst. Do I even try? I'm tired of waiting, my aging heart yearns to set upon the incomprehensibly frightening ocean called "dating". Yet, have I scuttled my short-term chances of getting those who didn't believe before, to believe that I'm capable of being empathetic to others, that I'm not confused and desire not mere camaraderie, but amor?😮‍💨 

I'm too childishly open to write all this stuff on the Web. (-Though I have tossed this in spoilers precisely to hide it from search results ever so slightly.) I should've just written this all in my journal and left it at that. But, since here, by the munificent graces of all who routinely visit this topic, and the immeasurable luck that this tiny island in the endless blue of the Internet is free of those who spew hate towards me -and that I could find this terrestrial speck at all, I can freely and want to vent. For which I am immensely thankful.😌 -I'm going to write in my journal too anyhow.😅 I feel so ashamed in my behavior that I could write everything I just wrote a second time. Not like I could possibly be in the mood to play any video game either.

TIL (Spiderman comic spoilers):

Spoiler

The infamous Paul has partaken in genocide.

COMICS, EVERYBODY!

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I've always been one to suggest SRW J as a good entry point. Standalone title, has a fan translation done, modern enough.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Wonderswan games (Compact (Color), Compact 2 Parts 1-3, Compact 3), SRW 2G, half of GBA (A, R, D), and SRW4 aren't translated.

This leaves the following, on GB/NES/SNES.:

• Super Robot Wars 1
    • Very simple, no plot to speak of. No pilots either, only robots. Gameplay is very basic too.
  • Super Robot Wars 2 (aka Dai-2-Ji SRW or 2nd Super Robot Wars)
    • Plot is thin, but extant this time. Again, the gameplay pretty dated.
  • Super Robot Wars 3
    • The plot starts picking up a little here, and the gameplay too. But it's still aged. Also rather difficult I'm told.
  • Super Robot Wars EX
    • Gameplay is the same as SRW3. The plot is now divided into three different stories, each with a different lead character.
  • Super Robot Wars Gaiden: Masoukishin- The Lord of Elemental.
    • Inherits the gameplay improvements made in SRW4, which makes it still a little aged, but less so than everything before it.
    • Narratively divided into two halves- the first happening before SRW2, the latter... after SRW EX but before SRW4 I think?
    • It's all Original characters in this game

SRWs 2, 3, EX and Gaiden, all belong to the "Classicverse". They're all set in the same world, though the plot being on the lighter side in these early games, you're not missing out on much if you skip to a later entry. The one exception to the missing-out being Original plot stuff, EX and Gaiden are rather related, since they both focus on the Original fantasy world of La Gias. -The Classicverse ends with the untranslated SRW4, or SRWs F & F Final, the latter being PS1 games that tell an alternative version of SRW4 over two directly-connected games.

Now, for GBA:

• Super Robot Wars J
    • The very last of the seven Super Robot Wars (including an SRW2 port) released on the Game Boy Advance. Has the best graphics and animations because of this.
    • This is your best bet for a mainline SRW on these systems. Still holds up plenty well in gameplay (I ran through it three times last year😆), and the story isn't part of some multi-game SRWverse.
  • Super Robot Taisen Original Generation and Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2
    • "Taisen", because Atlus chose to leave the Japanese for "War" untranslated. -These two games received official translations, not fan ones.
    • The reason these two games were released aboard, is because "Original Generation" means they feature only Banpresto Original characters and robots. No Gundams, no Mazingers, no licenses that you'd have to pay for for each region you release the game in. The lack of actual anime IPs means they aren't "mainline" SRWs.
    • These two games are the start of the OGverse. Which is still awaiting its grand finale two decades after it began.😆
    • Original Generation and Original Generation 2 were later bundled and remade on the PS2 as Original Generations. Which tweaked the plots just a little, added some new story (mostly to OG2, and the addition of a new, separate short story called OGs 2.5), and a few gameplay adjustments/additions too. -But they're mostly the same on GBA. And the PS2 plot additions don't really matter while playing OG 1 & 2 themselves, since they primarily relate to games that haven't been translated yet (-or released, 3rd Original Generation😐).
    • Whilst there is overarching narrative, a few loose threads that'll dangle at the end of each game, they still tell mostly-satisfying stories.

Looking again, just the Taisen duo for GBA, II on NES and GB, I on GB, 3, 4 and Gaiden on SNES and who cares (for translation reasons) on WS. Probably patchless too (except that bit of 1 I tried), can figure that out on my own

So of the ones that I'd have access to on the bean machine but don't have at present, you'd recommend J and what else on PS1, N64, DS and PSP?

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Dayni As you can kinda relate (don't read if you've a want to be in convivial mood) 🚬...

Reveal hidden contents

...politics with family came up, something unbelievably outlandish to me was said, and against every angel of my better nature, I snapped. From 0 to 800kmh in 10 seconds (I swore, which I never do).😑

-Thankfully, within like 45 minutes, I was forgiven. And then I told was to stop apologizing, b/c it getting to be too much for them, I could stop doing the nonstop apologizing (the bowing was too much). I'm fortunate they, despite where our views differ, don't actually care about politics all that much.😅 And they still very much love me (and they don't like my inability to forgive myself). Their real worry, they say, is if I reacted like this in public, a random person could be less willing to tolerate such inexcusable behavior, with costly consequences for me.👊🤕 Although I tell them it's precisely because they're close family, not strangers, that I accidentally react this way, I feel freer to express.

This isn't the first time it has happened, I should know better. I try so much to, to avoid, to stay silent, to bear with it. And yet, I failed. I can't forgive myself. What's the point to all the introspection in the world if this kind of thing repeats itself?😔 And curse my autism -it's that kind of mood right now.

Even worse, this time, they suggested I move out, as they have before, a boarding house, thinking maybe that would be better for me. I outright said what I've internally thought of that threat before- like they have the guts and heartlessness to do that to me? More absolute idiocy on my part. The thing is, living on my own could be better for me, maybe as a step towards autonomy, towards existential satisfaction. Yet, I can't, I'm too dependent on family.😣 And I've never lived in any house but one, so it'd be a double shock on my system, I can already feel the waterworks from unease it'd bring on.

-This makes me realize, I need the Internet forum.🙁 In a medium and format that moves faster, where I don't have to take my time processing and relaying my words, I would be a horrible mess. Which wouldn't reflect -I hope- what I truly am.

...And then there is the fact that I was intending very soon, whenever the moment was right, to attempt to get them to take me seriously on my 💞 desires. I feel like I've ruined things with my foolish, foolish, foolish outburst. Do I even try? I'm tired of waiting, my aging heart yearns to set upon the incomprehensibly frightening ocean called "dating". Yet, have I scuttled my short-term chances of getting those who didn't believe before, to believe that I'm capable of being empathetic to others, that I'm not confused and desire not mere camaraderie, but amor?😮‍💨 

I'm too childishly open to write all this stuff on the Web. (-Though I have tossed this in spoilers precisely to hide it from search results ever so slightly.) I should've just written this all in my journal and left it at that. But, since here, by the munificent graces of all who routinely visit this topic, and the immeasurable luck that this tiny island in the endless blue of the Internet is free of those who spew hate towards me -and that I could find this terrestrial speck at all, I can freely and want to vent. For which I am immensely thankful.😌 -I'm going to write in my journal too anyhow.😅 I feel so ashamed in my behavior that I could write everything I just wrote a second time. Not like I could possibly be in the mood to play any video game either.

Already sick, so:

Spoiler

Can't really ask what was the outburst, but at least they seem to get that the substance of it mattered enough to evoke such a response that they didn't blame you for it. And in a sense yeah, you're also saying you're not going to just blow up on someone in the street because you'd find it awkward, understandably so. But I'd think in a way because you're as close as you are that ignoring what's being said and just letting it sit there could bother you more than trying to call it out, make some damm change in this world even as small as it is. But I'm just going into brick walls at this point if I compare. So as to your failure here, it's all too possible it'll happen again. But surrendering to the idea you can't improve and be a bit better? Letting the possible repetition of mistakes freeze you up for good? Might as well shut the door on the world. Pretty sure I've said similar before, but yeah.

I think I get the wariness to move. I know at the time I felt quite insistent to be away from any of my direct family when I was looking at third level, but even then I was not used to being away from home and it probably reflected on the dependencies that got packed into my time there and of course I spiralled by the end. And with the period in between, I probably would have been a bit nervous if one of those many failed applications had somehow succeeded and I'd gotten something and had to move somewhere. Though, when I moved into my current place, it was a matter of kinda having to go because I was just stuck in a rut back home, nothing would have changed if I'd stayed and the new environs has begun to yield dividends, if irregular ones. But yeah, in contrast you've not got the same perspective or experience. The best bet if you were to try might be for a temporary arrangement of some sort, see if it's possible to make it work. Conditions for that of course would be a whole other problem, I've done short term lets before but I don't know the rental market options where you are.

I've a thought on the forum piece, that processing kinda hides second guessing on the poster's part, the alterations made to our words, thoughts often hidden from sight. Is that not in a sense deception? That muddled mess we can come out with in the moment may be sparked by emotional turmoil and external stress, but it's us too.

As to this problem, as you've said the real issue is your family not seeing that you might have these interests. It seems like you're not up for saying it at the minute, worrying how they might think about your maturity (I wouldn't think it's a lack of empathy is the issue here). Honestly, I think give it some days to let yourself cool, but then set a date soon after where you say it to everyone, because this being hidden is a stress too and you want to express it. Also, keep in mind interest doesn't mean you get someone out of hand too, takes effort which I know isn't even on my radar 😛. A part of me wants to suggest you start reaching out to potential interests and then surprise family at the news when you and said partner felt comfortable to reveal it, but that's a horrible idea.

Do I need to quote CS Lewis again?

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

TARDISAboveOldWorld.jpg?ex=66caa1ea&is=6

I sank one of Italy's islands.

France will also be unhappy

One detail I want to compliment is you getting the text right on this.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Already sick, so:

Thaaaaaaaaaanks!🙂 It means a lot to me.

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Dayni said:

But I'm just going into brick walls at this point if I compare. So as to your failure here, it's all too possible it'll happen again. But surrendering to the idea you can't improve and be a bit better? Letting the possible repetition of mistakes freeze you up for good? Might as well shut the door on the world. Pretty sure I've said similar before, but yeah.

Again, thanks.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

I think I get the wariness to move. I know at the time I felt quite insistent to be away from any of my direct family when I was looking at third level, but even then I was not used to being away from home and it probably reflected on the dependencies that got packed into my time there and of course I spiralled by the end. And with the period in between, I probably would have been a bit nervous if one of those many failed applications had somehow succeeded and I'd gotten something and had to move somewhere. Though, when I moved into my current place, it was a matter of kinda having to go because I was just stuck in a rut back home, nothing would have changed if I'd stayed and the new environs has begun to yield dividends, if irregular ones. But yeah, in contrast you've not got the same perspective or experience. The best bet if you were to try might be for a temporary arrangement of some sort, see if it's possible to make it work. Conditions for that of course would be a whole other problem, I've done short term lets before but I don't know the rental market options where you are.

Thanks your story. And glad things are starting to work out for you.

Living elsewhere on my own -I know of normal whom it has worked out for. And those for whom big distances were simply too much. Part of the issue- loneliness. One's ability to make new social relations, or lack thereof, can determine their state of mind after separating from their usual social pack. -Of course, with the Internet and still living amongst others, things are much better than they historically were. Yet still, it takes effort to adjust.

From what I'm aware, the frontiersmen and frontierswomen of the old American West, sometimes suffered from the effects of social isolation. Not on a wagon train, not in a mining boomtown. Imagine, setting up a stray homestead on the unending Great Plains, such vast flat land under open skies to farm, but other than your spouse and children, you're all alone, other humans hours or days away. 

Likewise, I did see a video on lighthouse keepers. In the 18-19th centuries, some lighthouses placed the beacons on a pool of mercury -but it wasn't madness like a hatter that probably accounted for all lighthouse-keeping insanity. Especially since this began centuries, likely millennia, before the liquid metal was utilized. A lighthouse warden has to keep the light lit through the night, and you can't spend all day sleeping. You need to cook, clean, do laundry, maintenance work on the lighthouse itself (corrosive seawater means lots of lighthouse painting, lots of fixing). In the absence of modern transportation, you could only leave your post maybe once every couple months? And with the exception of your assistant, or wife and kids, you would be cut off from the rest of the world. No Internet, the savior of the pandemic lockdown. Some surviving journals from the wardens testify to the extreme mental toll. "Oct 1, 1880: the news is that the light will go from me forever." -written by a woman, Mary Ryan, who unwillingly took over as temporary keeper (which lasted 7 years) when her husband died in 1873, at a lighthouse only 12 miles from the city of Chicago.

...Going off into nerdiness made me feel better.😅

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

I've a thought on the forum piece, that processing kinda hides second guessing on the poster's part, the alterations made to our words, thoughts often hidden from sight. Is that not in a sense deception? That muddled mess we can come out with in the moment may be sparked by emotional turmoil and external stress, but it's us too.

I totally get what you mean.😆 I acknowledge that even my own journal is not a perfect reflection of myself. For I am rather... *spends two minutes thinking of the best most suitable descriptive adjective* refined in my writing abilities, and couldn't stand to jot down brute word choice and sentence structure. I do not write in TRUE stream-of-consciousness. Though my deliberate pace be an attempt to clarify and explain the expressions of my mind and soul, and to bring classical beauty -that tried & true method for eliciting understanding from anyone who would (hypothetically) read it- to those things.🧐

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Also, keep in mind interest doesn't mean you get someone out of hand too, takes effort which I know isn't even on my radar 😛.

Get a boyfriend you mean? -I know reality ain't a video game. Dating sims make things too easy.😝 ...And with the odds of finding the perfect match on the first attempt being very low ...heavens above, how in the world would I handle a breakup?🤣 (Not a one-two dates "we're not meant for each other" quick & simple termination, more a "couple months, but then things aren't working out for whatever reason", situation.)

I dislike it that my family thinks me an "asexual autistic teddy bear", derived from that old (now out-of-date) idea that none of us seek love and are sweet, simple-minded things. ...But I wouldn't mind if some genuinely nice guy, suffering from whatever poor romantic eyesight they are, thought me a gay autistic teddy bear.😊😂

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

A part of me wants to suggest you start reaching out to potential interests and then surprise family at the news when you and said partner felt comfortable to reveal it, but that's a horrible idea.

I mean, I consider you all -everyone who routinely visits this topic- my... well not paramours, more like... paramis? -Covert friends I mean.😄 Who ever said secret relationships had to apply solely to lovey-dovey junk?😝 

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

So of the ones that I'd have access to on the bean machine but don't have at present, you'd recommend J and what else on PS1, N64, DS and PSP?

Of the games available for those, only Alpha Gaiden (PS1) and W (DS) have English patches. Alpha Gaiden is a sequel to Alpha 1, which is untranslated. W is standalone, so that's another good choice. Still, I would not suggest playing it before J. J and W have some overlap in their rosters, and with the way W works, there's a better sense of continuity doing J first and W second, even if they're both standalone titles.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

17 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Aye. Also imported A and D too. And got Alpha and Alpha Gaiden on my PS3, bought from the PSN. And VTX on my Switch. And 30 on Steam.

A small if honest collection.

Now get physical W or K and put the Double Slot bonuses to use!😜

...I was bored and tried planning out K in case of eventual translation.😆 If you want to see/obtain everything, looks like you need four playthroughs. And not simply because of the four Original romantic endings. The unusual triple route split places two mutually-exclusive secrets (Fafner in the Azure cast survival -or- Gaia and Legend Gundams, an earlier route split means you can't get both) on the same branch.

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Though FMP's story in its entirety has been adapted already, thanks to Z3 and V, when it comes to its anime adaptations we've only got until The Second Raid. But now Invisible Victory is finally makings its debut. From my understanding, the anime can do one final fourth season to cover the remaining stuff. But who knows when it may happen. Invisible Victory itself already had quite the time gap from The Second Raid. 2005 for TSR, and 2018 for IV.

I ponder if you can hear the aging in the VAs with a gulf as big as that.

-Good to see SRW bring it in already, even if it's just DD.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

PS1 only has SRW Alpha Gaiden translated, that has been so for a decade-and-a-half. -But not SRW Alpha 1, which Alpha Gaiden is a sequel to (and after which comes the PS2 Alphas 2 and 3 to finish the Alphaverse).😅

PS1 also has: Shin SRW, SRW F & Final, and SRW 4S (which is a visually & musically (+VAs)-enhanced version of SRW4 itself) -but again, it's all untranslated.

The Nintendo 64 only got SRW64. Once again, it isn't translated. -Though someone is presently playing it elsewhere on SF.

The PSP has SRW A Portable translated. It's GBA SRW A, but given a makeover. -I do not recommend it as a first SRW.😐 The hit rates are... unpleasant, and thou must upgrade weapons, because they increased enemy HP going from A to AP without upping player firepower enough to balance it. There is a lategame boss who spends 95% of the time in a coma, but they're an insurmountable wall if you don't upgrade weapons. -I had to resort to using a cheat to get past it and the final boss later.

The other PSP entries aren't translated. MX Portable, the two halves SRW Z2- Hakai-Hen and Saisei-Hen (the Zverse also including Z1, and the two halves + brief prologue of Z3), SRW OE, the first of three sequels released to Masoukishin 16 years later (The Lord of Elemental II- Revelation of Evil God no, it's not Fire Emblem).

For the DS, SRW W (pronounced "double" -it's on the dual-screen video game portable) has been translated. It's quite good. Since it was developed immediately after J, it shares a lot of things with it. They share some of the same anime, but W "expanded" on the five it retained, via sequel/side story materials. SRWs J and W however, are set in their own separate worlds, the stories totally unconnected. Banpresto probably just wanted to reuse the spritework and IPs before the licensing agreements expired.

Untranslated on DS are SRWs K and L. As well as a port of SRW Gaiden, renamed SRW OG Saga: Masoukishin- The Lord of Elemental now given the smallest of narrative tweaks and a makeover to canonize this game not only in the Classicverse, but the OGverse too.

-And there are the turn-based JRPG spinoffs: Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier, and its direct sequel Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED. They're weird, they're side stories in another dimension in the OGverse that take place after OG Gaiden (the sequel to OG2) and before the confusingly-named Dai-2-Ji/2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation (not the same as OG2!). The Endless Frontier duology has kinda rough gameplay in the first entry, though EXCEED smooths it out. Both games share in lighthearted stories that can often feel like excuses for the most bonkable scripts in all of gaming (which I enjoy😆). Despite being OGverse and thus you would think Banpresto Originals-only, the EF duology features two protagonists & one villain from Namco X Capcom, and Kos-mos & T-elos from Xenosaga. -Monolith Soft did program and make the gameplay for these games like NXC and XS -just not the writing for EF. Do I rec these? -They're veeeery much an acquired taste, and I'm a rara avis.🙃

...Prolificness combined with wordiness -why SRW still needs sooooo many fanslations.😅 And add in licensing costs and the niche status of mecha, and that's why so few have officially left Japan.

I'm so miffed I heard the theme song

Why yes, you can have a full bear team, and unless you use Rapid Urshifu they're all weak to Fighting.

@Interdimensional Observer

Spoiler

Just an article I happened to come across.

I do not wish to be Autism's Magneto, driven by society's own fuckups in design.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thanks your story. And glad things are starting to work out for you.

Living elsewhere on my own -I know of normal whom it has worked out for. And those for whom big distances were simply too much. Part of the issue- loneliness. One's ability to make new social relations, or lack thereof, can determine their state of mind after separating from their usual social pack. -Of course, with the Internet and still living amongst others, things are much better than they historically were. Yet still, it takes effort to adjust.

Yeah, still true enough, getting outlets that can feed into that where you'd go helps.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From what I'm aware, the frontiersmen and frontierswomen of the old American West, sometimes suffered from the effects of social isolation. Not on a wagon train, not in a mining boomtown. Imagine, setting up a stray homestead on the unending Great Plains, such vast flat land under open skies to farm, but other than your spouse and children, you're all alone, other humans hours or days away. 

Likewise, I did see a video on lighthouse keepers. In the 18-19th centuries, some lighthouses placed the beacons on a pool of mercury -but it wasn't madness like a hatter that probably accounted for all lighthouse-keeping insanity. Especially since this began centuries, likely millennia, before the liquid metal was utilized. A lighthouse warden has to keep the light lit through the night, and you can't spend all day sleeping. You need to cook, clean, do laundry, maintenance work on the lighthouse itself (corrosive seawater means lots of lighthouse painting, lots of fixing). In the absence of modern transportation, you could only leave your post maybe once every couple months? And with the exception of your assistant, or wife and kids, you would be cut off from the rest of the world. No Internet, the savior of the pandemic lockdown. Some surviving journals from the wardens testify to the extreme mental toll. "Oct 1, 1880: the news is that the light will go from me forever." -written by a woman, Mary Ryan, who unwillingly took over as temporary keeper (which lasted 7 years) when her husband died in 1873, at a lighthouse only 12 miles from the city of Chicago.

...Going off into nerdiness made me feel better.😅

Little House on the Prairie lied to me? /s

isolated life is a touch grim.

Also, I think about The Lighthouse and how that ended up

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Get a boyfriend you mean? -I know reality ain't a video game. Dating sims make things too easy.😝 ...And with the odds of finding the perfect match on the first attempt being very low ...heavens above, how in the world would I handle a breakup?🤣 (Not a one-two dates "we're not meant for each other" quick & simple termination, more a "couple months, but then things aren't working out for whatever reason", situation.)

I dislike it that my family thinks me an "asexual autistic teddy bear", derived from that old (now out-of-date) idea that none of us seek love and are sweet, simple-minded things. ...But I wouldn't mind if some genuinely nice guy, suffering from whatever poor romantic eyesight they are, thought me a gay autistic teddy bear.😊😂

I am not the right assistant for this topic (because my dating experience is a flat 0), so I'm going to hope you've got a good head on your shoulders with others.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I mean, I consider you all -everyone who routinely visits this topic- my... well not paramours, more like... paramis? -Covert friends I mean.😄 Who ever said secret relationships had to apply solely to lovey-dovey junk?😝 

The idea was more like "Surprise I ain't ace", but like I said terrible idea.

And maybe not, but since when do people judging make it more likely they'll be told all the deets?

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Of the games available for those, only Alpha Gaiden (PS1) and W (DS) have English patches. Alpha Gaiden is a sequel to Alpha 1, which is untranslated. W is standalone, so that's another good choice. Still, I would not suggest playing it before J. J and W have some overlap in their rosters, and with the way W works, there's a better sense of continuity doing J first and W second, even if they're both standalone titles.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

PS1 only has SRW Alpha Gaiden translated, that has been so for a decade-and-a-half. -But not SRW Alpha 1, which Alpha Gaiden is a sequel to (and after which comes the PS2 Alphas 2 and 3 to finish the Alphaverse).😅

PS1 also has: Shin SRW, SRW F & Final, and SRW 4S (which is a visually & musically (+VAs)-enhanced version of SRW4 itself) -but again, it's all untranslated.

The Nintendo 64 only got SRW64. Once again, it isn't translated. -Though someone is presently playing it elsewhere on SF.

The PSP has SRW A Portable translated. It's GBA SRW A, but given a makeover. -I do not recommend it as a first SRW.😐 The hit rates are... unpleasant, and thou must upgrade weapons, because they increased enemy HP going from A to AP without upping player firepower enough to balance it. There is a lategame boss who spends 95% of the time in a coma, but they're an insurmountable wall if you don't upgrade weapons. -I had to resort to using a cheat to get past it and the final boss later.

The other PSP entries aren't translated. MX Portable, the two halves SRW Z2- Hakai-Hen and Saisei-Hen (the Zverse also including Z1, and the two halves + brief prologue of Z3), SRW OE, the first of three sequels released to Masoukishin 16 years later (The Lord of Elemental II- Revelation of Evil God no, it's not Fire Emblem).

For the DS, SRW W (pronounced "double" -it's on the dual-screen video game portable) has been translated. It's quite good. Since it was developed immediately after J, it shares a lot of things with it. They share some of the same anime, but W "expanded" on the five it retained, via sequel/side story materials. SRWs J and W however, are set in their own separate worlds, the stories totally unconnected. Banpresto probably just wanted to reuse the spritework and IPs before the licensing agreements expired.

Untranslated on DS are SRWs K and L. As well as a port of SRW Gaiden, renamed SRW OG Saga: Masoukishin- The Lord of Elemental now given the smallest of narrative tweaks and a makeover to canonize this game not only in the Classicverse, but the OGverse too.

-And there are the turn-based JRPG spinoffs: Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier, and its direct sequel Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED. They're weird, they're side stories in another dimension in the OGverse that take place after OG Gaiden (the sequel to OG2) and before the confusingly-named Dai-2-Ji/2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation (not the same as OG2!). The Endless Frontier duology has kinda rough gameplay in the first entry, though EXCEED smooths it out. Both games share in lighthearted stories that can often feel like excuses for the most bonkable scripts in all of gaming (which I enjoy😆). Despite being OGverse and thus you would think Banpresto Originals-only, the EF duology features two protagonists & one villain from Namco X Capcom, and Kos-mos & T-elos from Xenosaga. -Monolith Soft did program and make the gameplay for these games like NXC and XS -just not the writing for EF. Do I rec these? -They're veeeery much an acquired taste, and I'm a rara avis.🙃

So Alpha Gaiden, W, OG Saga: EF (Ex) and maybe A Portable?

I did forget to include PSP. After trying FFIV complete, silly me

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now get physical W or K and put the Double Slot bonuses to use!😜

Sadly, I never got a DS. Jumped from the GBA to 3DS, and the latter is region locked sadly. If not, I'd have totally gotten the DS and 3DS games too.

...I was bored and tried planning out K in case of eventual translation.😆 If you want to see/obtain everything, looks like you need four playthroughs. And not simply because of the four Original romantic endings. The unusual triple route split places two mutually-exclusive secrets (Fafner in the Azure cast survival -or- Gaia and Legend Gundams, an earlier route split means you can't get both) on the same branch.

K is certainly a curious entry. I find its roster interesting.

> The debut of GunxSword. Also the only time El Dora has the Infierno y Cielo attack and El Dora Soul a combination attack with Van.

> Series that had only shown up once before make their second and so far last (in mainline) appearance here. Dangaioh from Compact2/Impact, Overman King Gainer from Z, Virtual-On Marz from Alpha 3.

> Classic Mazinger Z shows up... without Great Mazinger. With NEO releasing only months later, it's also part of classic Z's last hurrah in SRW until T brought it back with Infinity (though as a continuation of the original story than reusing it once again).

> Like ASTRAY in W, SEED once again uses one of its spin-offs, with Stargazer.

> Has Zoids in its single mainline appearance so far. I got to see Zoids as a kid, but I'm not sure if it's the same part that K uses. Still, it does make me curious to see it in SRW nonetheless, heh.

That said, not all is fun stuff. K actually has a bit of controversy. Because one of the composers hired for the game ended up being a plagiarist.

An official apology had to be issued and all.

I ponder if you can hear the aging in the VAs with a gulf as big as that.

-Good to see SRW bring it in already, even if it's just DD.

Hmm, I do wonder. I already got to hear some VAs thanks to SRW V, at least.

I'd say the remake, as well as the sequels that followed, are firmly in the OGverse camp. The fact it is called OG Saga makes it apparent. Also, the events at the Antarctic, complete with Ryusei making a cameo, is shown when making the recap between both parts. So yeah, that one no longer applies to Classicverse.

...Prolificness combined with wordiness -why SRW still needs sooooo many fanslations.😅 And add in licensing costs and the niche status of mecha, and that's why so few have officially left Japan.

Which makes it all the more wondrous that they began to acknowledge us international fans. Truly, I was like this these past years:

91aemi.jpg

Bantu: W Cipher Card.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sadly, I never got a DS. Jumped from the GBA to 3DS, and the latter is region locked sadly. If not, I'd have totally gotten the DS and 3DS games too.

I'd think DS games would still not be region locked, which is apparently true so long as they're not DSi enhanced (like Pokemon BW2).

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, is this for real!? XD LOL

Okay, that reference was asking for it, but it's still official! XD LOL

Edited by Acacia Sgt

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Sounds like what you desperately need is a sponsor, AKA someone who will (metaphorically speaking) point a gun to your head and make you do the things you can't make yourself do. With your permission, of course, as you'd know that your future self would thank you for it.

From the sound of it, you're on the mild end of the spectrum. With the right structure and motivation, you have the potential to live a both self-sufficient and experience-rich life. A sponsor could provide these things. Unfortunately, this service is by no means easy to find. Family and friends would want to avoid hurt feelings while strangers are more likely to sell you a grifty seminar.

Edited by Hrothgar777

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

So Alpha Gaiden, W, OG Saga: EF (Ex) and maybe A Portable?

Yep. Get 🐬 and SRW GC becomes available too. That'd be it for the fully fan-translated stuff. Menu-only translations exist for additional games -but I can't see myself playing SRW without being able to understand the dialogue.😆

-There is one fanslated GBC spinoff too.:

Super Robot Pinball. Made by Jupiter, the same people who brought you Pokemon Pinball, later co-developed TWEWY, and have made enough Picross to last you a lifetime.

And before SRW, there was Compati Hero. Which was typically Gundam + Ultraman + Kamen Rider. The five The Great Battle games for Super Famicom are action-platformers, all of which have been fanslated. Last month Shuffle Fight, which was basically SRW as a dice-rolling board game, was given a fanslation.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Just an article I happened to come across.

Scientific evidence for the double-empathy problem. Thanks for sharing.😀

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I do not wish to be Autism's Magneto, driven by society's own fuckups in design.

It'd be a new way to write a society-created villain, but, do we want to be villainized? American mass shooters already sometimes get the autistic rumor thrown at them.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I am not the right assistant for this topic (because my dating experience is a flat 0), so I'm going to hope you've got a good head on your shoulders with others.

I know.😅 -I'm being the weird one here writing what I do.😆

55 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's an unusual leap.🤔

That said, not all is fun stuff. K actually has a bit of controversy. Because one of the composers hired for the game ended up being a plagiarist.

I heard of this before. -How could anyone think they'd be able to get away with stealing from Chrono Trigger?🤨 We're talking what is usually considered to be in the Top-3 Super Famicom/Nintendo JRPG, very possibly numero uno! And the Battle With Magus is one heckuva set piece, with the music being a major part of that.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which makes it all the more wondrous that they began to acknowledge us international fans. Truly, I was like this these past years:

-Makes me wish I was more of a fan than merely an OG noob at the time, could've shared more equally in the excitement.😁

I'd say the remake, as well as the sequels that followed, are firmly in the OGverse camp. The fact it is called OG Saga makes it apparent. Also, the events at the Antarctic, complete with Ryusei making a cameo, is shown when making the recap between both parts. So yeah, that one no longer applies to Classicverse.

In the Gespenst Mk. II TT, as he was at the time. Heard about that years ago.😆

I wouldn't think Revelation of Evil God and Pride of Justice to be all that needing the OGverse, at least I didn't see anything to suggest so reading the limited translation of 2 that Akurasu has posted. -But Amara in Coffin of the End is something only the OGverse could permit. The Valsionga ...well Valsions exist in the Classicverse at least -if not the Valsion Custom Type CF.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

K is certainly a curious entry. I find its roster interesting.

> The debut of GunxSword. Also the only time El Dora has the Infierno y Cielo attack and El Dora Soul a combination attack with Van.

> Series that had only shown up once before make their second and so far last (in mainline) appearance here. Dangaioh from Compact2/Impact, Overman King Gainer from Z, Virtual-On Marz from Alpha 3.

> Classic Mazinger Z shows up... without Great Mazinger. With NEO releasing only months later, it's also part of classic Z's last hurrah in SRW until T brought it back with Infinity (though as a continuation of the original story than reusing it once again).

> Like ASTRAY in W, SEED once again uses one of its spin-offs, with Stargazer.

> Has Zoids in its single mainline appearance so far. I got to see Zoids as a kid, but I'm not sure if it's the same part that K uses. Still, it does make me curious to see it in SRW nonetheless, heh.

You know I appreciate one-offs/rare appearances too.😄

-Also the only appearance of the Gun x Sword combination between Van and Ray? -And why does Ray join so late?

For the underlined, well you know I mentioned having a memory fragment from when I was really young of some kind of Gundam before? (Possibly Wing, standing outside the cockpit self-destructing, that's what -in single-digit age- I thought I saw. And I remember Cartoon Network had some Adobe Flash Player browser game that I think was Gundam. Hexagon grid, rock-paper-scissors combat.) -Well I know I saw some Zoids in those early years as well.😃 None of it stuck obviously, not dialogue, nor names, nor story, I was too young to absorb anything but the moving images. But I recall one that was shounen boy (that later grows up?), little dinosaur robot, special-looking girl, seemed adventurous in tone; and a second that was more battle royale tournament stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And before SRW, there was Compati Hero. Which was typically Gundam + Ultraman + Kamen Rider. The five The Great Battle games for Super Famicom are action-platformers, all of which have been fanslated. Last month Shuffle Fight, which was basically SRW as a dice-rolling board game, was given a fanslation.

And there's, of course, Hero Chronicles. A more standard JRPG, but part of Compati Hero nonetheless. Also significant to SRW since it's, naturally, Gilliam and the Gespenst's debut game.

That's an unusual leap.🤔

Well, it was in the time I was still in school, so I couldn't just buy what I wanted. The GBA was a birthday gift if I recall. Same for the 3DS. Admittedly, I don't remember why I didn't just asked for a DS too.

I heard of this before. -How could anyone think they'd be able to get away with stealing from Chrono Trigger?🤨 We're talking what is usually considered to be in the Top-3 Super Famicom/Nintendo JRPG, very possibly numero uno! And the Battle With Magus is one heckuva set piece, with the music being a major part of that.

Honestly, it is weird. Then again, I guess it depends on when the music is meant to be played. It takes like 40 seconds before reaching the point it blatantly sounds identical. Since from the looks of it, this wasn't discovered until the game was already sold. Still, quite weird no one noticed.

It also wasn't just this one. Looking up, the guy also plagiarized a Lufia track.

-Makes me wish I was more of a fan than merely an OG noob at the time, could've shared more equally in the excitement.😁

I'll admit, even I only really got into SRW by... 2008 or so. I think I mentioned this before, but it was a FE hack that had both SRW and Chrono Cross characters the reason why I am even here on SF to begin with.

In the Gespenst Mk. II TT, as he was at the time. Heard about that years ago.😆

I wouldn't think Revelation of Evil God and Pride of Justice to be all that needing the OGverse, at least I didn't see anything to suggest so reading the limited translation of 2 that Akurasu has posted. -But Amara in Coffin of the End is something only the OGverse could permit. The Valsionga ...well Valsions exist in the Classicverse at least -if not the Valsion Custom Type CF.

Yep. The MP Valsion Kai was already a thing since... SRW 3, I think.

You know I appreciate one-offs/rare appearances too.😄

-Also the only appearance of the Gun x Sword combination between Van and Ray? -And why does Ray join so late?

For the underlined, well you know I mentioned having a memory fragment from when I was really young of some kind of Gundam before? (Possibly Wing, standing outside the cockpit self-destructing, that's what -in single-digit age- I thought I saw. And I remember Cartoon Network had some Adobe Flash Player browser game that I think was Gundam. Hexagon grid, rock-paper-scissors combat.) -Well I know I saw some Zoids in those early years as well.😃 None of it stuck obviously, not dialogue, nor names, nor story, I was too young to absorb anything but the moving images. But I recall one that was shounen boy (that later grows up?), little dinosaur robot, special-looking girl, seemed adventurous in tone; and a second that was more battle royale tournament stuff. 

It probably was Wing, yes. It was what truly made Gundam be well known in the West (some parts of UC Gundam had already made it overseas, but Wing was the one that really got people in the US hooked), and yes, it aired on Cartoon Network, at least in the US.

Admittedly, I don't remember much myself, either. I do remember it was Zoids, at least, heh.

@Hrothgar777

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Hrothgar777 said:

From the sound of it, you're on the mild end of the spectrum.

Yeah, diagnosed Asperger's since the third grade.

Sounds like what you desperately need is a sponsor, AKA someone who will (metaphorically speaking) point a gun to your head and make you do the things you can't make yourself do. With your permission, of course, as you'd know that your future self would thank you for it.

-I did perfectly well in school. Those deadlines got me moving along just fine.🤓

Yet, since I am not in hard-pressed need of the necessities of life, everything since graduation years ago has been drifting though life. -With me not saying a word of the occasionally-biting existential emptiness, nor have I been so outwardly expressive that others could notice this.

With the right structure and motivation, you have the potential to live a both self-sufficient and experience-rich life. A sponsor could provide these things. Unfortunately, this service is by no means easy to find. Family and friends would want to avoid hurt feelings while strangers are more likely to sell you a grifty seminar.

Motivation, self-esteem, planning, never have they been my strong suits. Nor big-decision making, as I'm very indecisive. It'd be kicking and screaming indeed, if someone were to try to get me into fulling motion.😅

35 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And there's, of course, Hero Chronicles. A more standard JRPG, but part of Compati Hero nonetheless. Also significant to SRW since it's, naturally, Gilliam and the Gespenst's debut game.

The only reason that could've somehow slipped my mind, was writing sooooo much at once can result in oversights.😅 Don't hire me to design a rocket, I might forget the engine.

35 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It probably was Wing, yes. It was what truly made Gundam be well known in the West (some parts of UC Gundam had already made it overseas, but Wing was the one that really got people in the US hooked), and yes, it aired on Cartoon Network, at least in the US.

I've kinda gotten a sense of this. I've seen enough random nods by Internet goers -usernames and icons- that I can see it. Next year is the 30th anniversary, if they're throwing together a project of unknown medium for G Gundam b/c 30th, why not do the same with with Wing? On the heels of Mercury, think we'd be looking at 40-something Quatre and Trowa with rings on?

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Man, you can tell the weather is cooling down when we're only reaching 41C max today.

...I don't know whether to be jealous or not, temps are dropping to 24-27C here. Very nice, but a little too cool in the morning.

The only reason that could've somehow slipped my mind, was writing sooooo much at once can result in oversights.😅 Don't hire me to design a rocket, I might forget the engine.

I guess it happens, heh.

I've kinda gotten a sense of this. I've seen enough random nods by Internet goers -usernames and icons- that I can see it. Next year is the 30th anniversary, if they're throwing together a project of unknown medium for G Gundam b/c 30th, why not do the same with with Wing? On the heels of Mercury, think we'd be looking at 40-something Quatre and Trowa with rings on?

Perhaps an animated adaption of Frozen Teardrop? That could be one option.

...I don't know whether to be jealous or not, temps are dropping to 24-27C here. Very nice, but a little too cool in the morning.

Sounds like sweater time.

It's officially official. October 4th - 15th is my second trip to Europe.

We begin in Paris before taking the Eurostar train to London after two and half days and from there, it's UK exploration time.

Only thing is I don't think I'll be able to make it to the Loch Ness.

13 hours ago, Dayni said:

One detail I want to compliment is you getting the text right on this.

Each word is it's own layer, then I duplicate them, merge the copies and skew them in the opposite direction.

Sheesh, the Forbidden Underground Waterway feels like quite the marathon to go through. If it only had a Warp Room at least halfway through...

Also, swimming (okay, more like propelling through water) obtained from a Directional Shard is... quite the decision.

good-for-her-arrested-development.gif

5 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

From the sound of it, you're on the mild end of the spectrum. With the right structure and motivation, you have the potential to live a both self-sufficient and experience-rich life. A sponsor could provide these things. Unfortunately, this service is by no means easy to find. Family and friends would want to avoid hurt feelings while strangers are more likely to sell you a grifty seminar.

Yeah, this is something I could be better on clarifying myself. I wouldn't even know how to start a similar process over there, but there's someone who I'd owe a damm good chunk to on that. Rather not go into it about them, but social workers as a potential avenue (again, knowing as little as I do on how viable that is for IO doesn't make it easy to point to).

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Super Robot Pinball. Made by Jupiter, the same people who brought you Pokemon Pinball, later co-developed TWEWY, and have made enough Picross to last you a lifetime.

If I had the guts to get all the Picross titles I'd confirm this.

It'd be a new way to write a society-created villain, but, do we want to be villainized? American mass shooters already sometimes get the autistic rumor thrown at them.

If we're villainised regardless...... /s

And after the DS port of CT came out? Cocky mightn't cut it.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Each word is it's own layer, then I duplicate them, merge the copies and skew them in the opposite direction.

And thus avoid mirroring the text, alright.