Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I dreaded them. Not because of difficulty, but because I'm simply not great with horror.😅 And every time I got caught, I covered the screen and didn't even try to do the last-chance melee counterattack.

My drive to fill out the map, and curiosity of what might be hiding in strange corners overcomes my fear of the EMMI far too much.

Huh, I get the funny feeling my creative use of the cross bombs to get a missile tank might have just earned me the Space Jump a little early...

• Replies 180.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimp of the North

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, it was a struggle, but in the end I wrestled Sicily from the Byzantines. Curiously, it only has Byzantine cores (plus my claims). I think that's because they did managed to de jure drift the place back in CK II, leaving them the only ones with a legit claim over the island.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ring!😃

Nice to see the lady in a cockpit again.

gsdx-20220419153346.png

Her hair doesn't look the same though. Classicverse difference like 30 Irm?

Yes, that's how she looks in Classicverse. Mostly since, like Irm, she's in her late teens there.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So once this Calvard arc — however long it ends up being — is complete, the series itself, overall, will be about 90% complete.

They said that last time.

6 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

The wait is killing me 😭

At least you aren't broke (maybe) like i am. Less than 200 in the bank and Mario Party comes out tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It could be First Game In Series Bias, but I recall writing here that my problem with Ys IX's soundtrack was that the compositions were "spineless". No offense to invertebrates, it was like all the rockin' sounds were sounding, but there was no central column from which they extended, it was disorganized. As a result, the music lacked true concentrated force and memorability.

I know Shrimpers is saying a bit otherwise in regards to earlier entries but honestly between Ys Origin, Seven and Celceta, it did feel like Ys music to me was just one song the whole time but who knows maybe i just picked the worst games there for this comparison.

6 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

But the goal someday is we'd like to get that down as small as possible — and if we could do six months, that'd be great.

Online_book45.png?ex=6711cae7&is=6710796

1 hour ago, Venger_06 said:

No, but after Madarame the quality is slowly declining

You see the vision....

51 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Admittedly it did lead to me getting some upgrades before the powerup you were intended to use to get it, as one example I shine sparked up to a space I was supposed to grapple beam through

Yeah a lot of the "sequence breaks" are built in and even the ones that involve glitches were never intentionally patched out.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

At least you aren't broke (maybe) like i am. Less than 200 in the bank and Mario Party comes out tomorrow.

Have a Boo steal some coins from somebody else.

They said that last time.

To play God's advocate here, I'll spin it that it isn't intentional lying. Instead, invoking other parts I quoted, it's an honest well-intended happy-go-lucky foolishness that continually underestimates the workload ahead. Absurd though that may sound so many entries in.

I know Shrimpers is saying a bit otherwise in regards to earlier entries but honestly between Ys Origin, Seven and Celceta, it did feel like Ys music to me was just one song the whole time but who knows maybe i just picked the worst games there for this comparison.

For my own part, I've entirely forgotten the soundtracks of Ys I & II (a mental residue endures solely to being the most recent), Seven, Celceta, and IX.

-Though in the first case at the very least, I wouldn't attribute it to musical quality. It's not impossible to recall the track of a game that you didn't like or found sorta mediocre. But the more one appreciates the entirety of a game, the more the soundtrack may leave a lasting impression. Shrimpy is the 🎆😇 Ys fan here, so it should be of little surprise that they've the greatest amount of Ys music imprinted in their databanks. The more chill and younger Ys fan I am (but still very much liking the franchise) have but one soundtrack embedded.

Also, video games regularly have 20+ tracks at a minimum. As impressive as our carbon-based hard drives are, they can only choose to ingrain so many memories. Think about how many video game OSTs you actually have completely or mostly embedded in your brain (not just a standout track or two). To try doing this myself.:

• The Baten Kaitos duology
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Xenoblades 1 and X (XC2 and Xenogears fall into a lower tier of memorization for me. Xenosaga has but Godsibb and the two Ep. III normal battle themes.)
  • Super Robot Wars
  • The Etrian Odysseys
  • The Devil Survivors
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Ys VIII
  • Odin Sphere (Probably the weakest OST to make this list.)
  • Riviera: The Promised Land
  • ...A bunch of stuff from childhood- SM64/S/G, OoT, KSS, SSBM, PoR & RD, to think of a few.

...Which really only is a small fraction of the games I've played. The human mind has its limits. I'm going to imagine that I sadly failed to be receptive to some good music that I should've taken deep into my veins.

-Maybe I should try digging up an ost I think I overlooked while exercising to past the time while sating curiosity I haven't been on the treadmill in like a month. Though too intense a workout isn't the best idea methinks for a musical investigation b/c then the heavy sweating prevents proper listening.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

My colonizing exclusivity has ended. Norway is colonizing a province in Newfoundland. I guess second time's the charm, eh?

New Spain is now starting to expand on their own. They have a Colonist and have now begun conquering. They're growing up so fast...

I'm also helping, now starting to colonize La Florida. Gotta start prioritizing there, lest the Norwegians reach first the... uh... somewhere on the eastern seaboard.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ys Origin, Seven and Celceta,

You also didn't like these games iirc

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'll spin it that it isn't intentional lying. Instead, invoking other parts I quoted, it's an honest well-intended happy-go-lucky foolishness that continually underestimates the workload ahead. Absurd though that may sound so many entries in

press-x-for-doubt-x-for-doubt.gif

Shrimpy is the 🎆😇 Ys fan here, so it should be of little surprise that they've the greatest amount of Ys music imprinted in their databanks

Not only that, i was introduced to falcom basically by their music

And tbh, i care more about music than even writing in games. Bad music can massively ruin my enjoyment even if everything else is good. Thankfully PC allows me to mod in case i dislike something.

Think about how many video game OSTs you actually have completely or mostly embedded in your brain

About every single one i played 😛

Atleast the games i loved....but not only

Music is really really important for me.

Edited by Codename Shrimp

4 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Bad music can massively ruin my enjoyment even if everything else is good. Thankfully PC allows me to mod in case i dislike something.

Based opinion.

For my own part, I've entirely forgotten the soundtracks of Ys I & II (a mental residue endures solely to being the most recent), Seven, Celceta, and IX.

I think for me it's more like, Ys uses electric guitars for literally anything. Every area that isn't a town is blasting an electric guitar and I like electric guitars but man have some variety lol.

4 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

You also didn't like these games iirc

I didn't like Seven but I thought Origin and Celceta were alright.

What I came up with for Celica's Resonance skill:

55d5aefa3c7da91009236bb4588fc74c.png

naturally the + version of Resonance makes the Res and Hit penalties greater, but the extra attack won't be going any higher lol.

Edited by Lightcosmo

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

My colonizing exclusivity has ended. Norway is colonizing a province in Newfoundland. I guess second time's the charm, eh?

Maybe they realize they should've stayed. May they last longer than New Sweden.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

New Spain is now starting to expand on their own. They have a Colonist and have now begun conquering. They're growing up so fast...

I heard it said once that the British Empire was acquired in a fit of absentmindedness. That it was largely independent actors that acquired the Sun That Never Set for Britain, sometimes in like India it being "gov't sets a limit on colonial expansion, the local colonizers defy it, the gov't keeps what was taken anyhow". -Though it's obviously not entirely true of the entire British Empire and to think it so would be to wash Britain's hands of too much colonial evil.

5 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Not only that, i was introduced to falcom basically by their music

And tbh, i care more about music than even writing in games. Bad music can massively ruin my enjoyment even if everything else is good. Thankfully PC allows me to mod in case i dislike something.

Interesting to read.😀 Now download DeSu1 and play five minutes of it.

5 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

About every single one i played 😛

Oh.😅 Our brains are more different than I thought. -I'm impressed!😆

...Now you're making me imagine a Ys game where Adol is told that everything in this world is derived from a set of perfect & eternal ideas/concepts that exist on a higher plane of existence. This Platonism is accompanied by another concept that the ancient Greeks wrote of- the Music of the Spheres (Musica Universalis). That being, the motion of the planets in the simple act of orbiting creates music, sounds that have effects even here on Earth. As his reward for coincidentally saving the world yet again, Adol, guided by the wise magical person he helped save, takes a moment and opens his ears to the Music of the Spheres, hearing the sonorous harmony of the cosmos that 99.99% of humans fail to ever once distinguish, a sort of enlightenment.🎶🪐

...After I wrote the above nonsense, I concluded Platonism and the Music of the Spheres to be two ideas too many for a single game.😝 Just focus on music as a fundamental part of existence with hearing the Music of the Spheres as the peak of all human achievement.🎼 (To borrow from Indic religion, they could also allude to the Om 🕉️, the sound of primordial creation.) Give Adol and any fighting friends a magical instrument (or instruments if follows Ys X in having only two). Add a pinch of rhythm game to the combat as a gimmick for the week. Garnish by sneaking in a dozen classic Ys tracks returned in new renditions and three in their unaltered original versions. -Though avoid making references to planets in specifics instead of the general whole, as you want to save that imagery for another adventure (Adol in a skirt, optional).

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think for me it's more like, Ys uses electric guitars for literally anything. Every area that isn't a town is blasting an electric guitar and I like electric guitars but man have some variety lol.

Understandable. Reminds me of the Devil Survivor games. DS1 is very electric and very electric guitar. DS2 has a larger soundtrack that is certainly more diverse, and I rather prefer it actually.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Maybe they realize they should've stayed. May they last longer than New Sweden.

Curiously enough, the Culture of the colony is Basque. I guess that's more CKII playthrough shenanigans. Might need to check. Maybe Norway does have a Basque province in there somewhere.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I heard it said once that the British Empire was acquired in a fit of absentmindedness. That it was largely independent actors that acquired the Sun That Never Set for Britain, sometimes in like India it being "gov't sets a limit on colonial expansion, the local colonizers defy it, the gov't keeps what was taken anyhow". -Though it's obviously not entirely true of the entire British Empire and to think it so would be to wash Britain's hands of too much colonial evil.

Interesting.

---

Okay, truce with the Byzantines have ended. Time for another go to take more Claims? At the least, I have finally started added artillery regiments to my stacks...

47 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

What I came up with for Celica's Resonance skill:

55d5aefa3c7da91009236bb4588fc74c.png

naturally the + version of Resonance makes the Res and Hit penalties greater, but the extra attack won't be going any higher lol.

If you wanted to scale the Thunder effect, make the base version deal 3/4 damage per attack in exchange for the extra attack, and the + version deal full damage, which also feels more in line with the power of the other two options.

Lyne is newly on Switch.

It has touch.

Can recommend.

My symps, Shrimps.🙂 I'm feeling a really strong desire to try coming-out again IRL right now, but my feelings are so mixed on the matter. Might be giving me a headache, and perhaps the shivers if isn't the cold that's doing that.

Hope you get well soon regardless.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-musical Ys snip-

a few years ago such an idea would've made me ecstatic to even just think about

DeSu1

when i have some breathing room in my gaming calendar xD

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If you wanted to scale the Thunder effect, make the base version deal 3/4 damage per attack in exchange for the extra attack, and the + version deal full damage, which also feels more in line with the power of the other two options.

That could work.

i wanted to focus on something fun as far as skills go. Engage lacks fun skillsets overall imo.

*Sees Eternights has released on the Nintendo eShop today*

😁 

Though I don't intend to double-dip maybe on sale, I am nonetheless very happy to see this mediocre janky cheesy piece of weeb trash made available to a wider audience.😆 To think that about 12 hrs ago I was feeling so hesitant, so lacking in self-confidence and assertiveness; it seems inconceivable given how I feel right now. The only way I can describe this is whiplash. If only they could see me, wearing a sunshine smile in my gay heart.🌅😍

----

With EON done yesterday, it's time to move on. To Napishtim! finally wedding in RF5! Boktai 3! something else! ...it has to be restarting XC3. Not sure if it is sacrilege to begin a game at 1 in the afternoon, or after comprehensively listening to the soundtracks of other games in the same day, or feeling as I did above for a different game, or glimpsing a daki. -But my insistence on propriety is precisely my problem!😑

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Curiously enough, the Culture of the colony is Basque. I guess that's more CKII playthrough shenanigans. Might need to check. Maybe Norway does have a Basque province in there somewhere.

I think I remember learning in college that while New Netherlands did have a sizable Dutch population, it was more mixed than that, though I'm lacking for specifics. I can pretend finding enough people in the icebox of the north to settle overseas isn't easy, and the Norwegians had a more open colonist policy to compensate. If the Basques want to take advantage, sure, go ahead!

38 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

a few years ago such an idea would've made me ecstatic to even just think about

And now you're convinced Falcom would remix Iclucian Dance with two left feet.

21 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

when i have some breathing room in my gaming calendar xD

I said only the first five minutes, b/c the very first impression is... memorable (IMO).😛

27 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

BTG9fKb.png

🥳

Is it wrong to sometimes feel like the only thing better than playing (good) video games, is hearing of announcements for new (good) video games?😅

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And now you're convinced Falcom would remix Iclucian Dance with two left feet.

Funny enough Iclucian Dance is made by the composer that does all the bleh tracks nowadays

Difference being, back then he only did 13% of the Ost, now he does more than 40%. He can be good if he doesn't get boss tracks, but the moment he does boss themes or metal stuff he produces crap. He should stick to his strength....or more like Falcom shouldn't let him do bosses. Or 40%+ of the music

He did A-to-Z back then, which is awful, but he was generally fine in Ys 8

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is it wrong to sometimes feel like the only thing better than playing (good) video games, is hearing of announcements for new (good) video games?😅

There ain't much good in the world tbf, so gotta take what we can

8 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Funny enough Iclucian Dance is made by the composer that does all the bleh tracks nowadays

Oh!😆

It still won't ruin the elegance like a flamenco of blades and sorrowful striving against the inevitable in her theme.😊

10 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

He did A-to-Z back then, which is awful, but he was generally fine in Ys 8

*listens again to that one* I forget the context (credits?), but yeah, the violin or whatever the strings are, are messy. Though I find Red Line worse, due to being tied to the defense battles and that annoying parrot.🦜

13 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Difference being, back then he only did 13% of the Ost, now he does more than 40%. He can be good if he doesn't get boss tracks, but the moment he does boss themes or metal stuff he produces crap. He should stick to his strength....or more like Falcom shouldn't let him do bosses. Or 40%+ of the music

Single-composer video games have grown less tenable over the years. Obviously not entirely, but the ensemble of songwriters is a perfectly acceptable choice. That's what 'blade has been doing outside of X.😀

10 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Iclucian Dance is also Dana's version of

...a track I will not listen to until I personally discover this vow of chastity or whatever it was that Adol made in Central Asia.😛

17 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

There ain't much good in the world tbf, so gotta take what we can

...I REALLY need to stoke the furnaces and play XC3 as much as I can, less than 3 weeks until 😬! No offense to Xeno, but I'm of doubt that that'll be able to quell my nerves and insomnia. I shall retreat in an SRWJ bunker and try to console myself with the sounds of Revenger and Guardian Angel (I will still visit SF though, despite knowing coverage may show up here, as complete social isolation would only make things worse).

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I forget the context (credits?), but yeah, the violin or whatever the strings are, are mess

Final boss

Yeah it's trash

..a track I will not listen to until I personally discover this vow of chastity

You didn't play Felghana either?

Also another Eldeen game

whatever it was that Adol made in Central Asia.

it's in Ys!Europe xD. Also Dogi's hometown

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/10/universal-orlandos-super-nintendo-world-opens-its-doors-may-2025

Tell us how it is, Arma.

30 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Final boss

Close!😅 I was judging from its ost placement.

25 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

You didn't play Felghana either?

Bought it at the same time as Napishtim sometime earlier this year. Been sitting in the Steam library ever since.

26 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

it's in Europe xD.

Eurasia, now we're both right.😜

26 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Also Dogi's hometown

A pact of eternal friendship then!🤝 Although my more serious hunch says the subtitle has nothing to do with Adol, and refers to some ancient agreement made by the people belonging to a now-lost civilization.