Is your character a Mary-Sue?

Agro

For my main character thats displayed in my art topic Max Wiliams.

Max Williams is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He may be popular, or he may not, but no matter what he's impossible to ignore; he stands out... just the way you always wanted to. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Max Williams, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Max Williams is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Score Breakdown

He's Got My Nose 13

Yo! 16

I'm Destined For What? 3

Can't Complain 6

Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child 5

Total: 43

I did a second one with my Saaji character

Saaji Amaryuu isn't a character: he's you, or you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

You may have let yourself get a little too close to Saaji Amaryuu. Maybe he's you as you wish you were, or maybe you're just afraid no one will like him and are trying to give him a free ride. Have some confidence in your writing! Saaji Amaryuu is a good character. Give him room to be himself before you stifle him.

Score Breakdown

Mirror, Mirror 30

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 9

I'm Destined For What? 3

Can't Complain 9

Total: 56

I'm not too surprised about that. lol

Ninji is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Ninji, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Ninji is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Score Breakdown

He's Got My Nose 17

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 7

Plain Joe 1

Can't Complain 3

Momma HATES Him! 0

Total: 28

I want to be a coward/pathological liar who's a complete screw-up? Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Edited by ChaosNinji

My question is, What the hell is wrong with Self-Insertion?

I do not know about self-insertion. But Mary-Sues and "Author's Darlings" are dreadful things to read. First of all, they are usually just too unbelievable and impossible to sympathise with. Secondly is the issue of using the character as a blatant mouth piece for your beliefs (There is nothing wrong with having a message in the story, but no about wants one shoved down their throats by a lame character).

A like more reading on such similar subjects: http://limyaael.livejournal.com/202840.html

No, they are not cute. They are not wonderful. They need to die now, and people need to learn the difference between loving their characters and falling in love with their characters.
Edited by Shuuda

Same as a lot of other people:

Nightmare is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Nightmare, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Nightmare is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Score Breakdown

He's Got My Nose 22

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 9

I'm Destined For What? 6

Healthy as a Horse 0

Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child 4

Total: 41

Bizz is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Bizz, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Bizz is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Score Breakdown

She's Got My Nose 15

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 5

I'm Destined For What? 6

Can't Complain 3

Momma HATES Her! 2

Total: 31

It seems to me that this quiz is less for Author pets, and more for self insertion, I'm just saying it's possible to base a charcter off yourself and not have them be author pets

But most people cannot do that well. I am going to go ahead and say that the self-insertions seen in stories on SF are an example of bad insertions.

Edited by Shuuda

You'd have to make your character an old person who is opposite of your gender to be original. This be flawed.

It is not about making them completely original, it is about making them interesting (And not a reflection of your wishful thinking). It is about not making people want to vomit when they read about your character.

Edited by Shuuda

What exactly did it say?

It gave me my score and then a key to what the scores meant

And I was in the uber-sue range

The first test gave me a 31 lol

My sister got a 0. I didn't think that was possible.

EDIT: Added more people.

Renka Dune is only a little like you. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Renka Dune, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Renka Dune is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Score Breakdown

I Love Him, I Let Him Go 10

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 7

I'm Destined For What? 11

Can't Complain 9

Momma HATES Him! 1

Total: 38

The main villain of the first part of my story, gets a 38...

Quess

Score Breakdown

Do I Know This Guy? 2

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 9

Plain Jane 1

Can't Complain 6

Total: 23

Minor character of the third arc.

Leo of Thundran

Score Breakdown

He's Got My Nose 13

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 8

Hey, Wanna See My Crown-Shaped Birthmark? 13

Can't Complain 7

Momma HATES Him! 0

Total: 41

Main character of the first and third arc.

Edited by leo_dragon_knight

Lol this is cool.

One of my OC's (who I may or may not write a story about) got a 39.

Chris Lionheart isn't a character: he's you, or you as you'd like to be. He is not at all cool; in fact, he thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when he says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," he means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Chris Lionheart, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Chris Lionheart is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

His score was based largely due to being based off of my appearance, personality, ideals, etc. He doesn't display the typical qualities of a Mary Sue (powers, distinct markings, etc.), but gained points in areas involving nobility, dead family, etc.

The next OC, the first OC's son (who I may or may not write a story about) got a 31.

Sam Lionheart is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Sam Lionheart, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Sam Lionheart is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

His score was largely due to similarities to my appearance and ideals. He doesn't display most typical Mary Sue qualities, and is rather arrogant and laid-back.

Edited by Chris Lionheart

The closest thing I have to an OC is something from my old Mugen series: Mama Luigi

Score: 36

Mama Luigi is only a little like you. He may be popular, or he may not, but no matter what he's impossible to ignore; he stands out... just the way you always wanted to. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever he gains, he's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Mama Luigi, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Mama Luigi is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!

Minerva is nothing like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's got no emotional scars to speak of. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for.

In general, you care deeply about Minerva, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Minerva is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

i dunno. i'm pretty agree with this stuff