Bottom:

Marty

Selphina

Tanya

Eyvel

Conomore

Ronan

Shanam

I don't think they should have been merged, but alright. The previous tier list is just terrible while Mekkah's one should be used.

Um, what? The terrible "previous" tier list was actually the second one. Marae Sceptre went and made a redundant topic without bothering to check if one already existed. With the topics merged like this, you can discuss Mekkah's list and shoot down any other lists that may pop up. There's no sense in having two topics about the same thing.

Um, what? The terrible "previous" tier list was actually the second one. Marae Sceptre went and made a redundant topic without bothering to check if one already existed. With the topics merged like this, you can discuss Mekkah's list and shoot down any other lists that may pop up. There's no sense in having two topics about the same thing.
The other fe5 tier list is completely unagreeable. (IMO!)

And they are different. One is a failure, one is not.

At a first glance for General Spoon's tier list:

Nanna should drop a tier, Felgus should go up a tier, Linoan > Tina and Sara, Mareeta should go up a tier, Olwen should go up to the top of upper mid, Leaf should go up to upper mid, Eyvel should go up a tier.

Edited by Julius

Actually Marae did the topic KNOWING the other one, as he thought that the tier on the other topic was bad, and "unagreeable"

So yeah, long story short, if you have access to high level staves, there's no way you're anything below High tier.

This is contradictory because Sleuf is top of Upper Mid and comes with A staves?

I didn't put Sleuf there, IOS did. The comments in my OP are old'd. Sleuf is an exception since he has to promote to not get insta-captured, and doesn't have the level to really do that. And he's route dependant, so recruited only 50% of the time.

Ewwwww, GameFAQs contributions. They're not worth humoring.

Otherwise, Asvel/Lara/Sleuf/Eyrios are too high on Mekkah's current list, and Nanna/Mareeta/Hicks/Karin/Leaf/Salem/Trewd/Dalshin/Dagda/Ralph are too low.

A big note on Sleuf: he's worthless. And he's route-dependent. Saying he's mid tier is like saying Chiki is better than Banutu and worth fielding because her dragonstone has the ability to one-shot H5 mamkutes if you're raising her. No, they both suck. Or, actually, more like saying Niime or Oliver is mid tier because of their staff ranks, so that's okay, they can just rest on their laurels in the rear with those and not offer anything else. Uh.......no. They both suck.

Staves are clutch in FE5, but Mekkah and other Sleuf whores still overhype staves to here and back without taking anything else into account. By the start of ch. 22, every other magician with staff access - seven in all - but him has the means to hit 20/0 without abuse if they didn't already before (yes, including Tina), and five of them will have clutch staff ranks. If Sleuf needs hardcore abuse to do that with rewarp, he sucks. A staff user who can fight and survive to *some* degree and has support partners is still >>>>>>>>> one who can't and doesn't, so Sleuf's not likely getting used beyond temporary. From then on right after buying knight crests from the last vendor and clearing the first Danzig River hurdle, the team is best served by not dragging along any unpromoted capturable scrubs lollygagging far in the back, there should really be no excuse. Especially since the chances you're going to be fielding Nanna, all the other seven and Amalda on a given chapter at the same time isn't close to high. And then once Sety joins, he's outclassing Sleuf by country miles as well. He's not even worth the trouble to promote, as he'll still have naff offense/durability and zero supports as a high priest, so he is balls.

Anyway, my makeshift ordering still beats the rest of these as it's the most unbiased and attentive towards chapter productivity/miscellaneous pros working hand in hand.

Top Tier:

Othin has it all: Wrath, plenty of time to be raised, one of the best classes outdoors or indoors, what might be the game's most phenomenal Prf weapon, not to mention the best overall balance of stats on average, even when liable to go mostly supportless and vs. tomes. Eventually few are going to not envy him when it comes to capturing, either.

Lifis is an enormous boon and convenience to army resources and funds, nigh-irreplacable because of what he can do.

Good unpromoted bases plus decent starting level plus brave lance plus his support partners plus Prayer make Finn a worthy contender for this tier. And since he's around from the onset, he has more time to work on his sword rank than others who have mounts.

Halvan is pretty h4x thanks to above average physical offense and durability, joining early, having the same class and capturing potential as Othin, Ambush, etc.

Fergus has a well-rounded statline, one-rounds frequently and gets access to all swords with haste.

Mareeta is an offensive powerhouse and hardly slack on the defensive side of things so she's one of the easiest latejoining melee people out there to train. Furthermore she has an amazing skillset complemented by her Prf weapon that blasts into overdrive once she picks up Astra and Continue.

Shiva has good build plus more offense than is the norm for a swordmaster not to mention durability thanks to balanced stats and Sol.

Machua has balanced stats as well and can sport fierce offense with simpler weapons, so raising her isn't a problem.

Nanna is the best user of staves overall due to Charisma, a mount outdoors, the earth sword, being able to defend herself right away, and her particular support list.

I suppose Saphy can be top tier because of the repair staff, being one of only two healers well into the campaign and her support list. If you're prone to OHKO or quick fatigue for as long as she is, no way are you the best, though - regardless of whatever function is exclusive to you at some random point. Fuck that noise.

Parn operates like Lifis; not only does he have a great class and skillset, he doesn't fight over a promotion item.

Karin has quintessential flyer utility in her corner that nobody can contest for a long time. She fills out her evade way before other people that she can afford to lose AS here and there, slips Fergus more hit and avoid, and is one of the better candidates for magic swords.

Not only do you require Carrion to acquire an early Elite sword, he makes use of it (at least until he's about caught up) that others can't often match due to his mounted class on top of his growths.

High Tier:

Leaf is the strongest support beacon in the entire series, which is great as all his partners want what supports offer in this game very badly - and he has the most balanced stats of anyone in this tier. He has a poor first four chapters, though, and it's a shame he may lack the build to capture even mages.

Asvel is around for a while and Grafcalibur helps, but requires babying to train at first and has low durability.

Dalshin's speed could be higher, but it doesn't write him out of the capturing game when other areas are more respectable. Furthermore, he mains the best weapon type and has access to all four after promotion, so it would be easiest for him to go over the 20 defense cap.

Brighton's statline is one of the more gradual to develop, but he has plenty of time to be raised, a support bond with Machua and Wrath.

Olwen gets two incredibly strong Prf weapons and easier access to siege tomes (namely Bolting) than staff users.

Hicks beats others to the punch at toting effective axes without AS loss.

Dean concentrates on the areas you'd expect a dragon knight to, doesn't cost a promotion item, has a viable support partner and can spar with Finn at capturing due to his dragon lance, but he's very weak to bows/ballistae and loses more stats than anyone when he dismounts.

Though Homer starts out underlevelled, Elite virtually reduces that to a non-issue.

Salem can earn his keep by growing into as reasonable an attacker as he can a pure support unit with fine starting weapon/staff ranks, support partners and some more concrete durability than usual for an FE5 magician. Jormung can actually lead to dividends just without one-rounding.

Trewd has Nihil and well-rounded parameters for melee, but he'll get beaten to 20/0 by several to say the least.

Tina fatigues quickly, but her thief and unlock staves have obvious far-reaching application. Among other feats, they can net you multiple sleep swords. She has a low starting level plus staff rank but can grow both out faster than seems evident because of 5 movement stars plus her Prf staff WEXP.

Lara can steal vulneraries but she fatigues quickly, is killed easily and is seriously outclassed by other fieldables once she's no longer forced up to ch. 12x. Becoming a dancer marks a significant comeback for her in terms of what the team can get out of her participation, though she'll lose stats and it still sure doesn't end certain durability woes.

Linoan has some durability issues before promotion and she fatigues quickly, so she can't naturally claim to be as active as others overall. Still, she has some excellent offense, she has very good supports, she has nice starting weapon/staff ranks, and her promotion is free, so she has a better chance if anything of making it into lategame chapters period than others in this tier who aren't Leaf.

I'll provide mid tier and NotSleuf low tier commentary later.

Mid Tier:

Sety

Galzus

Alba

Kane

Delmud

Robert

Xavier

Fred

Glade

Ralph

Sarah

Dagda

Amalda

Low Tier:

Eyvel

Eyrios

Misha

Sleuf

Conomore

Tanya

Cyas

Miranda

Shanam

Eda

Marty

Ronan

A big note on Sleuf: he's worthless. And he's route-dependent. Saying he's mid tier is like saying Chiki is better than Banutu and worth fielding because her dragonstone has the ability to one-shot H5 mamkutes if you're raising her. No, they both suck. Or, actually, more like saying Niime or Oliver is mid tier because of their staff ranks, so that's okay, they can just rest on their laurels in the rear with those and not offer anything else. Uh.......no. They both suck.

Contributing staves is more valuable than contributing piss-poor offense in almost any FE.

Staves are clutch in FE5, but Mekkah and other Sleuf whores still overhype staves to here and back without taking anything else into account. By the start of ch. 22, every other magician with staff access - seven in all - but him has the means to hit 20/0 without abuse if they didn't already before (yes, including Tina), and five of them will have clutch staff ranks. If Sleuf needs hardcore abuse to do that with rewarp, he sucks. A staff user who can fight and survive to *some* degree and has support partners is still >>>>>>>>> one who can't and doesn't, so Sleuf's not likely getting used beyond temporary... And then once Sety joins, he's outclassing Sleuf by country miles as well. He's not even worth the trouble to promote, as he'll still have naff offense/durability and zero supports as a high priest, so he is balls.

Being "outclassed," as far as I know, doesn't diminish the worth of anyone according to a tier list. Your other 8 staff users are not guaranteed to be used when discussing Sleuf's position.

Note that I'm not arguing for Sleuf in any way; I just had some problems with your rhetoric.

If you're going to write off GameFAQs or other people's reasonings easily like that, at least you better show some nice arguments in return. All your "list" does is going "they are here because...well, here are a couple of their traits! i will ignore many of their bad points though!".

No, it's not like that at all. Sleuf is just this: a free A staff user. He is not better than the other A staff users...which means that if we made a tier list consisting of only Sarah, Saphy, Tina, Salem, etc, he'd prolly be lower, but thankfully there are also 73982379823 combat units, and he beats many of them with his utility.

Staves are clutch in FE5, but Mekkah and other Sleuf whores still overhype staves to here and back without taking anything else into account. By the start of ch. 22, every other magician with staff access - seven in all - but him has the means to hit 20/0 without abuse if they didn't already before (yes, including Tina), and five of them will have clutch staff ranks.

Why does it matter if/when Sleuf hits 20/0? His combat is nothing worth fawning over (and neither are Saphy's and Tina's, or any other staff user when they join). His staff utility alone carries him far - infinite mobilities for others and himself >>>>>> Low tier.

Your other staff users as well as Lara are also vulnerable to fatigue, and as you've stressed many times yourself, S drinks are hard to come by. And in the later maps, you want to field every single high Mag staff user at your disposal anyway, since you have people to Silence, Restore, Physic, and Warp/Rewarp all over the place due to the gay way formation works in FE5.

And then once Sety joins, he's outclassing Sleuf by country miles as well.

This isn't any kind of point against Sleuf. List of units that have a case against Sety in endgame: Galzus. End list.

Anyway, my makeshift ordering still beats the rest of these as it's the most unbiased and attentive towards chapter productivity/miscellaneous pros working hand in hand.

I could claim the same and we could continue claiming it together like two toddlers fighting over the last lollypop. But I usually choose to not pretend I'm the FE guru of the world instead of acting like a know-it-all.

Mareeta is an offensive powerhouse and hardly slack on the defensive side of things

Lol, like it or not, Mareeta's defensive parameters start off bad and hardly get any better. We've established a while ago that in FE5, durability, especially concrete one (avoid caps out pretty quickly, and even with base 60 avo and one or two supports stuff still hits you) is more important than offense.

Machua has balanced stats as well and can sport fierce offense with simpler weapons, so raising her isn't a problem.

Machua's offense is hardly worth noting. It's overreliant on her countercrit, which relies on her taking hits to begin with.

Nanna is the best user of staves overall due to Charisma, a mount outdoors, the earth sword, being able to defend herself right away, and her particular support list.

I suppose Saphy can be top tier because of the repair staff, being one of only two healers well into the campaign and her support list. If you're prone to OHKO or quick fatigue for as long as she is, no way are you the best, though - regardless of whatever function is exclusive to you at some random point. Fuck that noise.

Your bias against Saphy is quite obvious. You are once again listing things Nanna has going for her without noting that, for example, her non-Luk stats are quite crummy (which makes her "fending off" rather worthless).

Not only do you require Carrion to acquire an early Elite sword

All that does for him in my eyes is making him much more likely to be deployed than anyone but Leaf in Ch9, but that's about where it ends. I don't have to include Carrion in my team just to make use of the Elite Sword - anyone can use that thing.

Leaf is the strongest support beacon in the entire series, which is great as all his partners want what supports offer in this game very badly - and he has the most balanced stats of anyone in this tier.

To be precise, his stats are quite bad all-around, like Nanna's, until he promotes and used hundreds of scroll level-ups.

Olwen gets two incredibly strong Prf weapons and easier access to siege tomes (namely Bolting) than staff users.

That doesn't explain why she's High tier, it just says two good things about her. Never mind that she has atrocious HP/Def.

Trewd has Nihil and well-rounded parameters for melee, but he'll get beaten to 20/0 by several to say the least.

Nihil is worthless.

Tina fatigues quickly, but her thief and unlock staves have obvious far-reaching application. Among other feats, they can net you multiple sleep swords. She has a low starting level plus staff rank but can grow both out faster than seems evident because of 5 movement stars plus her Prf staff WEXP.

Nice understatement. Tina fatigues even quicker than Saphy and her personal staves are less hax (granted, she's lower, but still, the bias is obvious). Due to her fatigue, she effectively joins in a ballista/dragon knight-infed chapter, where she is OHKOed by everything ever. Gogo E staves.

• 6 months later...
bump (if this isn't against the rules)

Stuff needs to happen like Asvel, Mareeta, Sara, etc. down, but I think this topic is better for a discussion that Yojinbo's or a new one.

Asvel down not too much, but Fergus and Pahn definitely gotta go up. Lifis over Pahn is debatable unless there's no or minimal abuse at which point it becomes laughable since Pahn destroys him otherwise.

Asvel down not too much, but Fergus and Pahn definitely gotta go up. Lifis over Pahn is debatable unless there's no or minimal abuse at which point it becomes laughable since Pahn destroys him otherwise.

Even with the level numbers other people seem to be getting (i.e., promoting around chapter 18), Lifis vs Parn is still debatable in a tier context. It functionally becomes combat vs availibility, and neither of them are all that good at combat. Parn has marginally better build until Lifis gets his promo bonuses, at which point they're basically identical at stealing.

I think Parn probably wins (mostly due to movement stars), but it's hardly a blowout.

Chapter 18 does seem a little late to be promoting. Chapters 14-16 are where the majority of my main combat units promote (Othin, Halvan, Fin, Asvel, Shiva, Fergus, Carrion), and I usually give utility units like Saphy early promotions. Later joiners like Homer and Mareeta usually promote around 18 yeah, but I wouldn't say Chapter 18 is the set time for people to promote.

Chapter 18 does seem a little late to be promoting. Chapters 14-16 are where the majority of my main combat units promote (Othin, Halvan, Fin, Asvel, Shiva, Fergus, Carrion), and I usually give utility units like Saphy early promotions. Later joiners like Homer and Mareeta usually promote around 18 yeah, but I wouldn't say Chapter 18 is the set time for people to promote.

Well, it seems I have one ally. I promoted my first unit in chapter 13, and my last one (not counting Sara and Linoan) in chapter 16. In a few other topics I've seen people promoting around chapter 18.

If Lifis is on track to promote in chapter 14 (and considering his godly availibility he should be one of the first to promote), then he's comparable if not better than Parn statwise when he joins, and it become availibility vs Sun Strike, movement statrs, and PCC, which I think Lifis wins.

I just promoted my first dudes in chapter 19...

I'm thoroughly of the opinion that Pahn>Lifis with no one in between them.

Despite our conversation in the other topic, I'm not actually convinced that this is because I wasted ballistae and you didn't. The only ballista chapters before chapter 14 are 10 (where I sat through maybe 3 of them), 11 (where there are only two) and 13 (where time pressures didn't allow me to fully sit through any). That's all of 5 ballistae I sat through and you didn't, and I promoted my last unit a full 4 chapters before you promoted your first one. Then chapter 14 only lasts 10 turns, so you're forced to sit through any ballistae you don't push through to kill, chapter 14x has no siege weapons besides a fenrir user I killed as fast as possible, 15 has nothing of the sort, and I promoted my last unit in 16A before getting to the ballistae I could afford to let live past the first few turns.

How many units were you using? I used 12 people plus leaf up through chapter 13, ditching two of them when I realized I wouldn't have enough knight's proofs. I definitely wasn't on elite mode. I did sit around and wait for the reinforcements to end if I saw they had some good stealable items (like in chapter 15), but otherwise I didn't, really.

What levels people are at really does have to be resolved before any real arguments can be made.

The amount you were training might be the reason for the discrepancies. I just used 7+Leaf that I was training seriously, and then Homer and Mareeta promoted later. Here's pretty much how my team went:

Trained seriously (promoted between chapters 14-16): Leaf, Asvel, Shiva, Othin, Halvan, Carrion, Fergus, Fin

Utility units that promoted early: Nanna, Saphy, Lara (at 12x, obviously)

Late comers that promoted around chapter 18-20: Mareeta, Homer, Linoan (C21)

Prepromotes/Didn't promote: Pahn, Dean, Galzus, Sety, Sleuf, Sara

That's 20 units right there. Obviously not all of them went to endgame, but the point is that only 7 non-Leaf units were trained seriously to promote around chapters 14-16. That's really not that unrealistic at all. Yes, it is a bit of PE but lets take Othin. He'll probably come back around Level 7 in Chapter 8. He has 12 chapters until C15 including gaidens. Othin will get fatigued yes, but even if he's only in 9 chapters, he only needs 1.44 levels a chapter. And considering how easily experience comes in this game, that's not hard to imagine at all.

EDIT: Well this was a bit more tl;dr than I intended. Just read the first and last paragraphs to get the rough gist of it.

Well, here's some of my playthrough data. The chapters they promoted (or reached level 20 in in some cases) are more or less reflective of an even distribution of exp (with some weird spots like Machua dominating chapter 4 in an attempt to reach B rank sword in time to use the fire sword alongside Leaf's armorslayer). The endgame levels reflect basically nothing besides my unit preferences; somewhere around chapter 21 I started level-ramming the units I liked. Still, averaging their levels will give some sort of indication of what endgame levels I would have gotten in a more reasonable playthrough? I include some info on how the unit was performing because units that do better tend to get more exp (either through higher competence or favoritism, conscious or otherwise).

Leaf: Reached level 20/0 well in advance of his promotion, but unfortunately I don't remember when. Level-rammed him in chapter 21, endgame level 20/20

Othin: Used until chapter 15 when I realized I didn't have enough knight's proofs for everybody. Final level 17.

Halvan: See Othin. Final level 18.

Fin: Got to level 20 in chapter 16; promoted midway through the chapter with the knight's proof you get there. Got str screwed and had offense issues throughout the game when not using the hero lance. Not level-rammed, endgame level 20/4.

Tanya: Consistently one of my best characters after her growths kicked in. Promoted in 14x; endgame level 20/18.

Saphy: Staffbot. Reached 20/0 in chapter 16 but I lacked the knight's proof needed (missed one in 12x). Promoted in chapter 20 instead, endgame level 20/12.

Lifis: Consistent RNG blessing, ended with 20 bld with no RNG manipulation (though near-constant use of the Neir scroll plus the body ring). Promoted in chapter 13, endgame level 20/20 after level-ramming in 22.

Machua: Fed her kills early on to have another sword user at B rank. Usefulness faded as her level lead shrunk. Promoted in chapter 14 (though reached 20/0 in 12), endgame level 20/12.

Brighton: Promoted in chapter 14, no level ramming, endgame level 20/7. Consistently average except with wrath.

Lara: lock/dancebot. Deployed only in chapters that had warping going on. Endgame level 1/3.

Karin [elite]: Didn't decide to use her till chapter 6, gave her elite scroll to make up for it. Favoritism with scroll access endured she was one of my best units. Promoted in chapter 13, reached 20/20 in chapter 16A by level-ramming her with ballistae.

Asvel: Consistently useful, declined a bit when Sara was given favoritism. Promoted in chapter 15, endgame level 20/10.

Nanna: Consistently useful as a healbot and poor man's mage knight with the earth sword. Spent a fair amount of time healing with the elite sword equipped to take advantage of it without reducing durability. Promoted in chapter 14, endgame level 20/19 with some level ramming in 22.

Olwen: Average at best until I level-rammed her with scrolls. Did so in chapter 22. Endgame level --/20.

Mareeta [elite]: Had persistent use of the elite sword until promotion in chapter 15 unless she needed enhanced offense (roughly enough to reduced the elite sword to 10 uses or so). Endgame level 20/11.

Tina: Thiefbot. Engame level 4/0.

Dean: Hilariously broken weapon made him consistently amazing until I started level-ramming other people. Endgame level --/11.

Linoan: Reached 20/0 in chapter 16A and I'm not even sure how, I didn't set out to level-ram her. Promoted in chapter 21 of course, endgame level 20/12.

Sleuf: staffbot. Endgame level 9/0.

Misha: Only used because I like pegasi. Hilariously incompetent at everything. Endgame level --/12.

Sara [elite]: Healbotted and level rammed in the chapter she joins to 20/0 with major scroll abuse. Promoted as soon as I got a knight's proof in chapter 20. Level-rammed in chapter 21 and 22 with more scrolls to ensure consistent brokenness. Endgame level 20/20.

Sety: lolSety. Endgame level --/16.

Someone who focuses on efficiency wouldn't have a level spread that looked like this (blatant favoritism all over the place). Still, the fact that I got this level spread indicates to me that promoting in chapters 14-16 and endgame levels of 20/11 or so are more than possible without favoritism. Adding up the total levels, I'm somewhere around 60 total levels above a 20/11 team, not counting utility people (i.e., Sleuf, Tina, Lara). No amount of ballista-wasting inefficiency would allow me to gain 60 additional levels over an efficient player, even if nearly everybody who sat in the ballista's range either had elite or the elite sword. Note that a rough estimate of 1.5 levels in every chapter a character is deployed in that you don't warpskip gives you promotions in 14-16 and endgame levels around 20/11.

Edited by cheetah7071

Promoting your units by ch.14 is more than possible if you don't wait until 20/0 to do so. I'd say most players would promote their units by at least 15/0.

Promoting your units by ch.14 is more than possible if you don't wait until 20/0 to do so. I'd say most players would promote their units by at least 15/0.

Except that's not actually my experience. I can't have been gaining 3-5 extra levels for every single one of my characters when I actually sabotaged exp farming in as many maps as I waited out reinforcements (I stopped the reinforcements from ever appearing in chapter 8, for example, but having leaf stand where the boss appears on turn 2).