FFtF topic quality

lolDeath

I'm sure at least some members have noticed how terrible some topics made in this area are. I am not trying to single anyone out, so if I use one of your topics as an example try not to be offended, it's simply the way the section is now.

There are topics linking to one YouTube video, many that make absolutely no sense, ones simply spewing memes, ones simply making a statement about the poster, even topics that basically are ATTN topics simply with those four letters removed and so much more. The posting is even worse in my opinion though. Posts with one word, all caps, even no words at all, they all really serve no purpose but to completely bury other topics that might actually have some kind of use.

I am sure that many new members and even a lot of old ones don't want to sort through "XD" "lol" and "over 9000" while simply browsing the forum. Even worse, possibly, is the fact that it bleeds over into other areas of the forum and clutters other topics, making having intelligent or meaningful conversation much more difficult and annoying than it should be.

Basically what I am suggesting is not harsher punishments, but more common punishments. As in, when someone breaks a rule don't wait for them to do it again or pass it off as minor, warn them, show them that it's not tolerated at ridiculous levels. You know, actually give them a reason to follow the rules in the first place.

Edited by VincentASM
Added topic description : o

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree, the amount of pointless topics increase all the time.

Plus, let's not forget that a majority of the fights that break out are in that section, and a majority of the posts in that section have little to no discussion value.

Also Death makes a good point in saying it bleeds into other sections. People simply quoting a post about them saying, "this," and other things. Also people derail topics of serious discussion with random messages or just spamming a topic.

The Far From the Forest section gets some people into bad posting habits, and is left unchecked far too often. Most of the fights that go on aren't even addressed until they are close to over, or completely over. This isn't the STAFF's fault though, it's the fact that the topics can't be seen because there is a flood of useless topics in there.

I can see SOME topics being of a little discussion value, such as, "Post your picture," or a topic about how your day went, or something. Topics simply about random things such as, "This cake is a lie!" really have no meaning, and although a spam section, it shouldn't be so literal...

Edited by Cynthia

How will we filter the pointless topics? What may be pointless and stupid for one person may be meaningful and awesome to another.

There's this handy thing called a brain. :P

Normally, if somebodies post is like

"This."

Or just totally pointless and unfunny, then it's bad.

But filtering things based on opinion simply does not work.

Well since when did that stop the staff? Everything they filter is based on their opinion. They felt "ATTN," topics were a disturbance in their opinion, thus they got rid of them.

Yes, but so far, your reasoning has been "it's annoying". I don't see it bleeding over into other areas though.

For record, I agree it is annoying, but let them say whatever they want, as long as it isn't harmful or inflamatory.

Yes, but so far, your reasoning has been "it's annoying". I don't see it bleeding over into other areas though.

For record, I agree it is annoying, but let them say whatever they want, as long as it isn't harmful or inflamatory.

Apparently you didn't read my post. As I said that a majority of the "flame wars," happen in that section.

Apparently you didn't read my post. As I said that a majority of the "flame wars," happen in that section.

That's true. But what does being spammy have to do with flaming? If spam has little to no value, why would people flame over it?

If you're looking for productive, entertaining (opinion, btw some people find the spam entertaining, otherwise they wouldn't continue doing it), and intelligent topics, you're looking in the wrong board.

I can say honestly, that myself, Death, ZXValaRevan, and several other individuals would rather not have to sort through, "Lol," and "OVER 9000!" topics to find the ones with discussion value.

So why is it that we are ignored on the subject, and you are entitled to continue making them, when obviously it's a problem to us? Sure we're a small group, but we're members of this forum too, so we have as much say as anyone. And I'm sure there are a number of others too that can and will agree with us.

Why is it that those of us who are actually looking for real discussion value are pushed aside so people can make more random topics after random topics? When WE'RE the ones who are trying to contribute more to the forum. Random topics about almost nothing give nothing to the forum except spam. Sure we don't have as many people on our side, but that doesn't mean we should be ignored simply because majority wishes for the opposite.

Death's idea is actually helpful and will increase the amount of real discussion happening here, and create healthy posting habits. It'll also set good example for newcomers.

If you want to have random pointless conversation, take it to the chat room. There's no reason you can't take them to PMs or the chat room, or an IM of some sort.

You are NOT going to find a serious discussion in a spam board. Why you even try to is beyond me. People use this board to let out their spamming tendancies so this "bleeding over" doesn't turn into a downright deluge of spam. If this bleeding over does occur, sure, warn them. But it's a bloody spam board. Don't warn people for spamming in the place where spam belongs.

I've been thinking about some of the points brought up in this topic for a few minutes now. Considering the warn system we use, being hesitant to hand out warnings does seem a bit counterproductive, so I can agree on that. I also agree that FFtF could use some quality control, although I'm not sure I agree on the level of control suggested. Would anyone mind linking me to a FFtF topic that they consider meaningful?

You are NOT going to find a serious discussion in a spam board. Why you even try to is beyond me. People use this board to let out their spamming tendancies so this "bleeding over" doesn't turn into a downright deluge of spam. If this bleeding over does occur, sure, warn them. But it's a bloody spam board. Don't warn people for spamming in the place where spam belongs.

So giving them a place to spam doesn't encourage spam and instead gets it out of their system?

I disagree, I think when they spam and think it's, "fun," they are encouraged to do it more, especially when others join in.

Also I stated that there ARE some topics, such as topics about how your day went, or posting your picture, or things that just aren't important enough to put in General.

Edit: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9498

Look, his original post actually is serious and discusses something that happened to him on this particular day. It's not just a bunch of random text that has no meaning. There actually is discussion value there. I could tell him about my day, or ask about one of the things that happened or he obtained to gain more information.

Edited by Cynthia

I've been thinking about some of the points brought up in this topic for a few minutes now. Considering the warn system we use, being hesitant to hand out warnings does seem a bit counterproductive, so I can agree on that. I also agree that FFtF could use some quality control, although I'm not sure I agree on the level of control suggested. Would anyone mind linking me to a FFtF topic that they consider meaningful?

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

The first that I saw when I looked.