FFtF topic quality

lolDeath

The problem is that Far From the Forest functions like a trawl for anything ill suited for all the other boards. If there is a thread in FFTF with "discussion value," it's probably misplaced. I suppose there are some conflicts, a thread which exists only to inform members of something could only be placed in FFTF, but that board is a catch all for anything that anyone feels inclined to post for any reason (given it doesn't intrude on other rules).

It is at least worth contemplating ideas, though. Does anyone have any example guidelines which could ease posting without upsetting the board's role? It's difficult to govern FFTF without negating its purpose, and a word limit probably won't be considered, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for creative solutions which would make FFTF more appealing for everyone who already uses it. For example, creating a YouTube or video thread could both slightly reduce the number of threads posted and make it easier for members to find previously posted videos because they would be consolidated in one place.

In regard to fights in the Far From the Forest board, they are sometimes addressed privately. Because that makes it very difficult to gauge how acceptably these are handled overall, I'll let someone else respond to that if they choose to.

In regard to the perceived spread of FFTF-like posting habits into other boards, I'm not ignoring the concern but I haven't yet given it much thought so I might possibly reply to that point at some other time.

Edit (2008.11.29)

I should have refreshed the page before posting this.

Edited by Wist

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Topics that would go in the FFtF section would be like simple every day things. Topics such as what you did today, or talking about jokes that you heard. The reason is because otherwise the general forum would be OVER RUN with these topics.

Sort of separate general discussion for in depth discussion.

Edited by Cynthia

So giving them a place to spam doesn't encourage spam and instead gets it out of their system?

I believe so. I mean, think about it. In the current state things are in, do you honestly believe that spam would be completely subsided if FFtF didn't exist? Having an entire board devoted to these types of topics means those topics wouldn't trickle over into other boards. Would you rather see a Fire Emblem Caramelldansen in FFtF, or in General Fire Emblem?

I disagree, I think when they spam and think it's, "fun," they are encouraged to do it more, especially when others join in.

Sure, spam is fun. FFtF is a place for people to have fun. To wind down. It's essentially the laid back spirit of Serenes Forest. While I do agree, some of the more dramatic topics we could do without, I believe people should be able to make spammy topics for their enjoyment.

Also I stated that there ARE some topics, such as topics about how your day went, or posting your picture, or things that just aren't important enough to put in General.

Personally, I believe topics like those should be moved to General. In a General board they'll be better enforced, and the smarter posters will know not to spam there. As for the matter of being "overrun" with said topics, a central topic for the subject of "How your day went" or something of the like could be taken into consideration.

We can't just keep making consolidation topic after consolidation topic. As if we do, it'll just make more pinned topics, and soon there will be too many pinned topics.

If we make one for how your day was, then soon we'll have to make one for posting your pictures. Then one for what your plans for the weekend are. It just creates more pinned topics, which really will become a problem over time.

Edited by Cynthia

We can't just keep making consolidation topic after consolidation topic. As if we do, it'll just make more pinned topics, and soon there will be too many pinned topics.

Said topics don't need to be pinned. They simply need to exist. With such a broad subject, enough people will post in them to keep them living. Afterall, the "Post Your Picture" topic isn't pinned, yet people don't make new ones, they just bump the existing one.

I still don't think we need to allow spam at all. As having a section for it only makes people spam in one area, and it gets them into the habit of doing it. If we just discouraged it EVERYWHERE, more people will get out of the habit of doing it, and we don't have to worry as much.

Sure not EVERYONE will stop right away, but over time at least a good portion will. The ones who don't and spam in other areas can just be warned and continue to do so until they stop.

Edit: Red Fox, I'm surprised you take that description so literal...

Edited by Cynthia

I can't agree. It's MEANT for spam. How can you complain that it's too spammy?

There are different levels of spam, some simply find the level allowed in that area unacceptable. You know, a difference between a pretty useless post and "XD", one is a pretty useless post, one is literally useless in every conceivable way.

I still don't think we need to allow spam at all. As having a section for it only makes people spam in one area, and it gets them into the habit of doing it. If we just discouraged it EVERYWHERE, more people will get out of the habit of doing it, and we don't have to worry as much.

Sure not EVERYONE will stop right away, but over time at least a good portion will. The ones who don't and spam in other areas can just be warned and continue to do so until they stop.

You can't just expect people to stop spamming completely. It's not going to happen. You can try, but there will always be those spammers who will keep spamming, even after being warned. For that reason it's best to have a spam board, to keep those people in check.

"Far from the Forest...

Feel free to post anything here, no matter how crazy or spammy, and as long it doesn't break any rules or offend anyone. (Postcount does not rise here.)"

How can you take so literal a forum description that contradicts itself? It says as long as it doesn't break the rules, and yet spamming is against the rules. So I ask how can you take the forum description so literal?

You can't just expect people to stop spamming completely. It's not going to happen. You can try, but there will always be those spammers who will keep spamming, even after being warned. For that reason it's best to have a spam board, to keep those people in check.

Didn't I just say in that post that you quoted not EVERYONE will stop right away, and that those who do stop will only be a portion?

Edited by Cynthia

I take everything literally

"Far from the Forest...

Feel free to post anything here, no matter how crazy or spammy, and as long it doesn't break any rules or offend anyone. (Postcount does not rise here.)"

How can you take so literal a forum description that contradicts itself? It says as long as it doesn't break the rules, and yet spamming is against the rules. So I ask how can you take the forum description so literal?

It is obviously disregarding that one rule. Vincent made it, Vincent can decide whether it lives or dies. I care not. Like Zephrion said, you're never going to stop spam indefinitely. Having a place to do it is just that; a place where people can be crazy without breaking rules.

I take everything literally

It is obviously disregarding that one rule. Vincent made it, Vincent can decide whether it lives or dies. I care not. Like Zephrion said, you're never going to stop spam indefinitely. Having a place to do it is just that; a place where people can be crazy without breaking rules.

Is anyone READING my posts...?

Edited by Cynthia

"Far from the Forest...

Didn't I just say in that post that you quoted not EVERYONE will stop right away, and that those who do stop will only be a portion?

The term "rules" I believe is meant to mean flaming, posting unsavorable content, etc.

The thing is, I doubt ANYONE will stop. People need a space to take this stuff out. If they can't have that place, then you can very well believe they'll take it to other places. Those topics won't cease to exist, people will just find another place to shove them. It's only delaying and likely worsening the problem.

Read my first post again, if you have not already. You are not contributing to the topic in any way.

The term "rules" I believe is meant to mean flaming, posting unsavorable content, etc.

The thing is, I doubt ANYONE will stop. People need a space to take this stuff out. If they can't have that place, then you can very well believe they'll take it to other places. Those topics won't cease to exist, people will just find another place to shove them. It's only delaying and likely worsening the problem.

So not addressing the problem at all isn't delaying and worsening it?

And by the way, I simply said I don't see a point in giving people a place to spam, I never said to delete the section. I said to straighten it out.

Edited by Cynthia

So not addressing the problem at all isn't delaying and worsening it?

Having spam topics in FFtF is not making things worse. Let FFtF have its spam, and just warn anyone who posts it anywhere else. No need to obliterate it completely.

Having spam topics in FFtF is not making things worse. Let FFtF have its spam, and just warn anyone who posts it anywhere else. No need to obliterate it completely.

We have a chat room. People can download instant messengers or use meebo. We have a PM system, and a profile comment system. There is no reason people can't have their spammy discussions in one of those.

Read my first post again, if you have not already. You are not contributing to the topic in any way.

I'm sorry my posts don't meet your standards. Maybe I should just go to FFtF.

P.S. I did

I still don't understand how anyone can be complaining about spam in a spam board.

We have a chat room. People can download instant messengers or use meebo. We have a PM system, and a profile comment system. There is no reason people can't have their spammy discussions in one of those.

That's not with the rest of the members of the forum.

I think it IS with the rest of the members of the forum...

It takes like 5 minutes to set up a chat room in meebo, and less than that to use the built in IRC. Hell we could just add a shoutbox to the site and that can suffice for that need.

Edited by Cynthia

People aren't going to simply spam to one person. PMing someone with "Lol" or "XD" or "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER" doesn't subside spamming instincts. Sure people can download Instant Messengers, but where's the fun in that? People need to have somewhere on the board to let these things out. Suggesting methods that aren't apart of the board itself won't solve the problem of people spamming there.

People aren't going to simply spam to one person. PMing someone with "Lol" or "XD" or "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER" doesn't subside spamming instincts. Sure people can download Instant Messengers, but where's the fun in that? People need to have somewhere on the board to let these things out. Suggesting methods that aren't apart of the board itself won't solve the problem of people spamming there.

Chat ROOM.

Built in IRC.

Linked RIGHT TO THE BOARD.

We have a forum dedicated to this chat room as well: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showforum=28

Edited by Cynthia