Crubat

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

"We would like less avatar worship"

"Here, have your own dedicated bodyguards/fan club"

You know, I don't know if having 33 generations of bodyguards is more or less egregious than having a literal maid squad + bodyguard in Fates...

@Fabulously Olivier @KoriCongo

Alear has been sleeping for 1000 years, it makes sense for them to have guardians though. Now, if we get more cutscenes and see that everyone is always hanging on their every word like in Fates, then we have trouble, but for now I think having an old guy being respectful because it was his life's work to protect you and two kids who think having a 1000 year old human-dragon hybrid is neat is justified.

Even if you wanted to say Fates' maids and butler were justified in the same vein... well, that may be fair on paper, but when the game starts with both twins looming over you, and every other royal having retainers that that at least somewhat make sense for them...

But again, time will tell. Even if Engage is a return to the more bombastic style, I hope it retains 3H's mundaneity in stuff like that.

Edited by DefyingFates

Given the durability on that staff (which I'm guessing is a heal staff?) it looks as if magic is going back to how it was in Fates, which I'm a little bit disappointed by. I really enjoyed having magic usage limits be per-map in Three Houses rather than per-game, at least for white magic. For attacking spells, it was more of a mixed bag. But I liked actually being able to freely use all my abilities. I've found that there are basically three ways to use rare staves in Fire Emblem. Either you use them whenever they seem handy and they're gone within two chapters, you try to save them until the perfect moment and never use them, or you've played the game multiple times, know it inside and out, and know in advance exactly when you'll use them. I've never found any of these options particularly fun, so I'll be a little glum if we are going back to that.

I also never really liked the setup in Fates where weapons don't have durability but staves do. Having durability only matter for one weapon type made it so that it wasn't something that I habitually checked as part of battle prep, which meant that I forgot to buy new staves way too often. I ended up having weapons run out of durability without any replacement way more often in Fates, the game without weapon durability, than I did in any other Fire Emblem.

Of course, it is still possible that staves have uses per-battle and that the durability will reset to full each time. I would love it if that were the case. But if that were what they were doing, I'd expect to see a number a fair bit smaller than 25. 

5 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I ended up having weapons run out of durability without any replacement way more often in Fates, the game without weapon durability, than I did in any other Fire Emblem

I've said it before, but I hope the reforging/ repairing system from Three Houses comes back to remedy this. Or who knows, maybe we get 25 heals per map because late game's going to be really intense? Probably not, but you never know, right?

34 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

"We would like less avatar worship"

"Here, have your own dedicated bodyguards/fan club"

You DO realize their family was guarding Alear for generations? How in anyway would that be considered “Avatar worship” that’s what they were born to do…(of course if they want to pursue further relationship if possible they have the right to do so)If anything their ancestors told them stories of how great a person Alear is back then and that’s why they are fond of them.

5 minutes ago, Mage Goddess Lysithea said:

You DO realize their family was guarding Alear for generations? How in anyway would that be considered “Avatar worship” that’s what they were born to do…(of course if they want to pursue further relationship if possible they have the right to do so)If anything their ancestors told them stories of how great a person Alear is back then and that’s why they are fond of them.

I'm genuinely not sure if you're being satirical or not because of this line. But I give it 90% odds you can Cramme it into Framme.

*Ahem*. I will see myself out.

10 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm genuinely not sure if you're being satirical or not because of this line. But I give it 90% odds you can Cramme it into Framme.

*Ahem*. I will see myself out.

Well there it is wincest confirmed/jk

...Anyways. I do think the adoration for Alear is justified for the twins, they are still kids after all. And as many people have said, it's fine unless it's *everyone* who's doing it. While it wouuld be annoying if that happened, at the very least it kinda makes sense as Alear is a divine dragon after all. But I hope if anything it's just when they first meet them and then be more friendly as the characters get to know them.

22 minutes ago, Crubat said:

...Anyways. I do think the adoration for Alear is justified for the twins, they are still kids after all. And as many people have said, it's fine unless it's *everyone* who's doing it. While it wouuld be annoying if that happened, at the very least it kinda makes sense as Alear is a divine dragon after all. But I hope if anything it's just when they first meet them and then be more friendly as the characters get to know them.

This. I know there's a non-zero chance of us getting another Fates situation, but as I said earlier, hopefully IS have learned since then!

55 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I also never really liked the setup in Fates where weapons don't have durability but staves do. Having durability only matter for one weapon type made it so that it wasn't something that I habitually checked as part of battle prep, which meant that I forgot to buy new staves way too often. I ended up having weapons run out of durability without any replacement way more often in Fates, the game without weapon durability, than I did in any other Fire Emblem.

Of course, it is still possible that staves have uses per-battle and that the durability will reset to full each time. I would love it if that were the case. But if that were what they were doing, I'd expect to see a number a fair bit smaller than 25. 

Glad someone said how awkward it is for Staves/White Magic to have durability. You aren't the only one who forgets to manually recharge/rebuy staves...
I know they want to avoid the issue of having gamebreaking magic like Warp or Berserk be available every map once you have it, but the solution to that is to not have staves like Warp and Berserk at all... (plus Warp Ragnarok already exists...). 

But since we are back in the """"classic""""-style of FE that everyone apparently likes, guess we gotta deal with fake limitations again...

I don't mind the kids being fans of Alear, mostly because I too would be a complete nerd if it was my job to guard a dragon. Dragons are cool! I love them! But yeah I do hope that's more reserved for the people whose job it is to protect Alear. 

Actually, if Alear can't transform for a while (basing this solely on their early inventory, who knows what might happen later), I think it'd be neat if other characters maybe doubted Alear's origins. The Dragon Guardians know, but is there really a way to verify that if they can't really transform? I think it'd be a good way for Alear to have to work to build up trust between the other characters, especially with their amnesia clouding things about their origins.

5 minutes ago, Noa said:

I think it'd be a good way for Alear to have to work to build up trust between the other characters, especially with their amnesia clouding things about their origins.

That's actually a really interesting arc they could go with, and I'd love to see that! I doubt we will, but thank you so much for the idea!

huh, didnt expect them to drop a new info tweet. 

WAIT... did Framme just do a fuckin' "JUMPING, REVERSE-ROUNDHOUSE KICK" ?! ok that settles it, this is exactly what i want, instead of that measly 3H gauntlet.

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Fair enough! I wonder if there's anyone versed in eastern culture who could fill us in, please?

in simple terms, its a technique where you train your body to be very strong through breathing, gathering and circulating energy within your body it almost similar to Tai chi afaik (from chinese)if you ever heard that

but if you want to know what it basically means in fantasy/game setting, one of the application usually: the user able to harden their body to be as hard as metal while doing bare-handed attack. punching/kicking rocks will shatter it but your hand/foot still fine. also sometimes they can also do attack with their hand and feet that can create shockwave. Check the initial trailer, framme equipment is called Iron-Body art. and the tweet bronze i think? which is both a nod to that and the level of weapon usually in FE.

Edited by joevar

38 minutes ago, KoriCongo said:

Glad someone said how awkward it is for Staves/White Magic to have durability. You aren't the only one who forgets to manually recharge/rebuy staves...
I know they want to avoid the issue of having gamebreaking magic like Warp or Berserk be available every map once you have it, but the solution to that is to not have staves like Warp and Berserk at all... (plus Warp Ragnarok already exists...). 

But since we are back in the """"classic""""-style of FE that everyone apparently likes, guess we gotta deal with fake limitations again...

But removing "broken" unlimited use staff would just limit creativity. I'd much rather have staves with durability and more variety with em. I always check my inventory before each battle and never had that problem in fates, and I always had extras in my convoy just in case 🤷seems like a silly thing to remove staves over. 

Items that are literally too good to use create bad gameplay dynamics, period. The Three Houses magic system may have needed numbers tweaking on spell use/effectiveness for those skills, but it was a lot better than game-limited consumable staves. And frankly, I think we should be moving towards a system of per-map durability for everything.

52 minutes ago, KoriCongo said:

hmm.. pretty sure warp ragnarok will be exclusive to engaged celica. so i dont think it will break balance as much as having Berserk, sleep, warp with unlimited use that more than one character can use. with they way they seem to go back to some classic mechanic, i want to see them bringing back status staves.

6 hours ago, Crubat said:

There SEEMS to be a different weapon triangle altogether, including bows and gauntlets! Gauntlets beat bows seems like.

another thing that i hoped present in engage that seems made it to the game. what do you think the bow will beat? bow for long range beaten by close range, so the third could be mid-range.. magic?

and the term "gauntlets" doesnt fit anymore imo.

Edited by joevar

2 minutes ago, joevar said:

another thing that i hoped present in engage that seems made it to the game. what do you think the bow will beat? and the term "gauntlets" doesnt fit anymore imo.

Someone in this thread mentioned that bows/tomes and arts might have WTA if one initiated the combat against the other

Edited by Crubat

10 minutes ago, joevar said:

and the term "gauntlets" doesnt fit anymore imo.

There really isn't an adequate alternative as far as I'm aware to refer to all-encompassing brawling/sparring weapons involving more than just the fists or just the feet. You can call them brawling or sparring, but that refers to the style of combat rather than the gear. 

4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

There really isn't an adequate alternative as far as I'm aware to refer to all-encompassing brawling/sparring weapons involving more than just the fists or just the feet. You can call them brawling or sparring, but that refers to the style of combat rather than the gear. 

thats the thing tho. from both trailer and tweet video, i cant spot any difference in gear or weapon. just framme kicking ass with her basic gloves and shoes from her outfit

oh and gauntlets clearly only refers to a type of gloves worn on hand. while framme do Kicks

3 minutes ago, Crubat said:

I'd call them arts honestly

*ehem*martial arts*ehem*

we'll see what they actually settle with

Edited by joevar

1 minute ago, Crubat said:

I'd call them arts honestly

That would conflict with the concept of Combat Arts, which one would hope are returning in some form.

I think they'd be best coming up with their own terminology. Maybe something French to match the setting, or something Norse to complement the franchise's general mythology theme.