What Do You Think Is The Next Biggest Thing In Heroes!?

XRay

I got covid and I am bored out of my fucking mind cooped up in my room for the past few days. I am still positive when I tested yesterday. I guess I would be playing Heroes right now if I did not quit. Well, instead of that, the next best thing is to talk about Heroes!

Anyways, I am more interested in game mechanics than anything else, so I will be theorizing about that mostly. However, whatever you think the next biggest thing is in Heroes does not have to be game play related.

— — — — — — —

In my opinion, the biggest thing that happened to Heroes mechanically since day 1 is the introduction of Save skills. That single effect/family of skills completely revolutionized game play by single handedly making armors relevant to the game and trivialized PvE content.

So, what crazy mechanic can possibly top Save skills?

EMBLA'S WARD, MÚSPELLFLAME, AND NIÐAVELLIR AXIOM!!!

Okay, they already exist in the game, so not technically new, but the twist this time is that it will be available to the players! The game will let you use these skills on your units as long as it is not in a competitive or ranked mode. Basically, you can go knock yourself out curbstomping Story Maps, Special Maps, Training Tower, and modes like that to your heart's content. Obviously, those skills will be unavailable in Aether Raids, Coloseum, Grand Conquest, Tempest Trials, and any other modes like that since rewards are tied with how well you perform in relation to other players. I think it is helpful to give players an easy way to obtain rewards in PvE modes so they can get resources fasters, especially new players to help them catch up with veteran players.

— — — — — — —

For more orignal ideas this time, the next biggest things could be Rng 3 Weapons and Null Counter. I do not think these will be anywhere as impactful as Save skills, but it is the best I can think of.

Rng 3 Weapons are exactly how it sounds, in that you need Close Counter or Distant Counter or another Rng 3 Weapon to fight back. I think this is a good way translate siege tomes and other long distance weapons from the main series into Heroes.

Null Counter basically disables skills like Close Counter and Distant Counter. I think Null Counter is necessary to give players an additional way to deal with problematic units.

— — — — — — —

Not game play related, but you are able to cosmetically swap units (sprite, portrait, Special quotes, etc.)! Want to run a team full of Edelgards, but you are a free player and all you have is just Reinhardt? Well, now you can replace Reinhardt with any Edelgard you choose, cosmetically speaking! In some PvP modes, this feature will be disabled so there is no confusion on who you are using or facing.

Edited by XRay

The next biggest thing would be to add Me to the game. There are two Glenns in Fire Emblem, both of them are brothers, both of them are killed by the true villains, both of them serve as motivation for someone else. That's a Duo hero right there

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

35 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

The next biggest thing would be to add Me to the game. There are two Glenns in Fire Emblem, both of them are brothers, both of them are killed by the true villains, both of them serve as motivation for someone else. That's a Duo hero right there

You mean Harmonized Hero. I know, potato tomato, same difference.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Uninstalling

You have not uninstalled it yet? What is wrong with you?

I did not uninstall this game until five and a half years later. Heh.

They should add a way to grind for orbs. Make it tedious, boring, time-consuming, maybe even downright unenjoyable, all for one measly orb. But you know what? Free-to-plays can keep free-to-playing, and have an infinite supply of orbs to get what they want without paying a dime, but at the cost of their time.

The grind never stops. Ever. Make it a gameplay feature.

I reckon we'll see Batallions eventually.  Maybe as a way to equip Duo/Harmonic skills to any unit. It seems to be the way they're leading things with the way these Arcane Weapons work, introducing inheritance as a relevant feature back into the game. So now in addition to Ascended and Rearmed units we'll also have idk, General or Commander units that come with a Batallion equipped that you can then freely reassign to any unit giving your 10 star black Knight armour protection or a second attack after killing or a special cool down. Ripping open Duo Skills to be assignable to different units would certainly make for a lot more interesting builds.

I look forward to New Heroes banners where the four slots are four special types of heroes, and the only actual New Hero is simply quietly added to the 3-4* pool like Ricken et al.

As to what the two new types of heroes will be, I'm open to ideas but some early thoughts:
- Multi-classed Heroes! Switch between weapon types at the touch of a button!
- Disguised Heroes! Other units can disguise themselves as this hero as if it were a Resplendent version of themselves. Yes, even in PvP, they'll never see it coming!

Also you've heard of pair-up, so here comes the natural follow-up to it, split-up! With this you can split your Duo and Harmonic Heroes into two separate units to establish numerical superiority over the battlefield!

My head is thinking how weird it is that we didn’t already overwhelm them with screen filed text boxes, instant charging specials, and teleporting units.

It feels like sticking to my favorites has caused me to miss a large chunk of the game already; but even reading and remembering what new units can do feels more and more taxing, like doing homework before playing the next chapter.

Pair-Up feels like a half-assed mechanic that could use a rework. At the minimum, make it usable in more game modes and maybe even introduce non-Legendary units with the ability. (I wouldn't be surprised if they make Pair-Up available to Ascended or Rearmed Heroes in the future.) I literally don't remember that this mechanic even exists outside of Allegiance Battles and Mjolnir Strikes.

It would be interesting to see "passive" skills that give a unit an active trigger effect, like Duo and Harmonized skills. We now have Arcane weapons that prevent a unit from equipping other exclusive skills, so I think this could be implemented in such a way that a unit can only have one such skill equipped at a time, even if they release skills like this in more than one skill slot.

Legendary Ninian is the first unit in the game that has a status effect that persists beyond the status effect's usual expiration time, which is implemented as a status effect that replaces itself with a new, different status effect when it expires. This can definitely be leveraged for other novel status effects.

It would be nice if the English localization team would learn how to use paragraph breaks in skill descriptions. The Japanese have already figured that one out. I think this is the most underrated QoL improvement that could be implemented into the game.

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Rng 3 Weapons are exactly how it sounds, in that you need Close Counter or Distant Counter or another Rng 3 Weapon to fight back. I think this is a good way translate siege tomes and other long distance weapons from the main series into Heroes.

As best as I can tell, the current system ties range to weapon type and not to individual weapons. All skills that activate with a unit's range as a condition work even if a unit has no weapon equipped. I don't think it's very likely that we'll ever see weapons with 3 range.

They can also already simulate siege weapons with Sweep + Canto (Recall).

10 hours ago, XRay said:

Null Counter basically disables skills like Close Counter and Distant Counter. I think Null Counter is necessary to give players an additional way to deal with problematic units.

We already have Sweep skills. While "Null Counter" is different, I don't think it's different enough to warrant inclusion as a new skill, as the only thing it does that Sweep doesn't do is get around Null C-Disrupt.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

Prepare your butthurt for the 6* units! Only 5* +10 units can be promoted to 6*, and it gives them +2 to all stats (over the 5* +10 stats) and some other bullshit I can't even fathom right now.

As much as I know this is a joke, I do still have to say that the game already has an existing formula for calculating a unit's stats based on their rarity:

• Promoting from an odd rarity to an even rarity grants +1 to the unit's 3 highest stats at level 1.
    • (Promoting from an even rarity to an odd rarity grants +1 to the other 2 stats.)
  • Promoting one rarity boosts the unit's growth rates by 0.07× the unit's base growth rates.

And the usual disclaimer that if the unit can continue to be merged after promotion to 6-star rarity, this is an excellent way to piss off the part of the player base that brings in the most revenue. The fact that players can trust that the developers won't make us pull for more than 11 copies of a unit in order to max it out is the reason why we can justify using additional copies as skill fodder.

The next big thing would be making a banner without alts.

And the next Thracia banner with Safy with prf Hammerne that removes all debuffs from an ally when healing them and also gives them -1 special cooldown count (or just completely readies their special because the special spam is already out of control from what I've seen).

I am coughing up big ass loogies. I have been eating Ricola like candy.

18 hours ago, indigoasis said:

They should add a way to grind for orbs. Make it tedious, boring, time-consuming, maybe even downright unenjoyable, all for one measly orb. But you know what? Free-to-plays can keep free-to-playing, and have an infinite supply of orbs to get what they want without paying a dime, but at the cost of their time.

The grind never stops. Ever. Make it a gameplay feature.

You know what that reminds me of? Watching ads for Orbs.

Oh no, the horror of boring irrelevant shitty ads!

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

I reckon we'll see Batallions eventually.  Maybe as a way to equip Duo/Harmonic skills to any unit. It seems to be the way they're leading things with the way these Arcane Weapons work, introducing inheritance as a relevant feature back into the game. So now in addition to Ascended and Rearmed units we'll also have idk, General or Commander units that come with a Batallion equipped that you can then freely reassign to any unit giving your 10 star black Knight armour protection or a second attack after killing or a special cool down. Ripping open Duo Skills to be assignable to different units would certainly make for a lot more interesting builds.

Imagine giving Edelgard: Flame Emperor triple Galeforce with four total actions! Raging Storm! Galeforce! Lyn: Ninja Friend Duo's Duo skill!

17 hours ago, Florete said:

Prepare your butthurt for the 6* units! Only 5* +10 units can be promoted to 6*, and it gives them +2 to all stats (over the 5* +10 stats) and some other bullshit I can't even fathom right now.

For each 6*+10+MaxFlowers+Floret+AllySupport+SummonerSupport you have, it permenantly increases you 5* Focus rate by 0.01% on all Foci.

17 hours ago, Humanoid said:

- Multi-classed Heroes! Switch between weapon types at the touch of a button!

That actually sounds cool. They could incorporate switching movement types too!

17 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Also you've heard of pair-up, so here comes the natural follow-up to it, split-up! With this you can split your Duo and Harmonic Heroes into two separate units to establish numerical superiority over the battlefield!

Palla: Sisterly Trio will split it up into three units, right?

16 hours ago, Lemmy said:

instant charging specials

Every hit is Aether, Galeforce, or Lethality sounds fun!

16 hours ago, Lemmy said:

teleporting units.

It would be nice to have witches from Fates warping around the battlefield.

Warp: Unit can move to any space on the map.

Imagine playing Summoner Duels with that.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Pair-Up feels like a half-assed mechanic that could use a rework. At the minimum, make it usable in more game modes and maybe even introduce non-Legendary units with the ability. (I wouldn't be surprised if they make Pair-Up available to Ascended or Rearmed Heroes in the future.) I literally don't remember that this mechanic even exists outside of Allegiance Battles and Mjolnir Strikes.

I think they should just make it available in any mode to spice things up.

It would be nice if the English localization team would learn how to use paragraph breaks in skill descriptions. The Japanese have already figured that one out. I think this is the most underrated QoL improvement that could be implemented into the game.

Is the localization team still Treehouse right now for Heroes? I still hold a grudge against Treehouse after all these years. We know Treehouse sucks, so they are never going to learn.

As best as I can tell, the current system ties range to weapon type and not to individual weapons. All skills that activate with a unit's range as a condition work even if a unit has no weapon equipped. I don't think it's very likely that we'll ever see weapons with 3 range.

One can always hope. I never thought they would implement something as crazy as Save skills. My mind metaphorically exploded the first time I saw Gustav: Majestic Love, Henriette: Overflowing Love, and double Flayns in a team on Reddit. I do not think Rng 3 Weapons is that mind blowing, but I think it will still be fun.

They can also already simulate siege weapons with Sweep + Canto (Recall).

I know we have that at home, but I want a real siege tome with long range!

We already have Sweep skills. While "Null Counter" is different, I don't think it's different enough to warrant inclusion as a new skill, as the only thing it does that Sweep doesn't do is get around Null C-Disrupt.

It is always a good idea to plan ahead incase they decide to do something dumb and make a problematic unit that comes with Null C-Disrupt.

And the usual disclaimer that if the unit can continue to be merged after promotion to 6-star rarity, this is an excellent way to piss off the part of the player base that brings in the most revenue. The fact that players can trust that the developers won't make us pull for more than 11 copies of a unit in order to max it out is the reason why we can justify using additional copies as skill fodder.

They could make summoning cheaper to compensate.

5 hours ago, Safy said:

The next big thing would be making a banner without alts.

Them fighting words! Being spicy today, are we?

I want more Edelgard and Plumeria alts! More Camilla and Lyn alts are okay too.

5 hours ago, Safy said:

And the next Thracia banner with Safy with prf Hammerne that removes all debuffs from an ally when healing them and also gives them -1 special cooldown count (or just completely readies their special because the special spam is already out of control from what I've seen).

Special trigger frequency actually stayed about the same. You always want to trigger a Special at least once per round of combat, and that has been the case since the game was released. Most units today can still only reliably trigger it once anyways.

2 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Gauntlets--The Colorless version of Swords, Lances, and Axes.

Possible Units: Caspar, Raphael, Ascended Balthus (Three Hopes design), Framme; and alts for Byleth(s), Dedue, Felix, Hapi, Alois, Catherine. and Jeritza.

Sounds fun. I do not mind multicolored gauntlets either, like bows, daggers, dragons, and beasts.