Ideas for Pre-Release Teambuilding/Engaging

Coreyographed

10 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Alear + Roy. Alear looks pretty cool when Engaged as Roy with the hair color change, and there is some synergy here. Lancereaver is good with his sword locking, and Miracle could have some use in keeping Alear alive - presumably his death would be a fail condition as usual.

Kagetsu + Marth. Marth's whole shtick is speedy swordsmanship, and that makes sense with Kagetsu's class. 

I had not considered both of these. That seems like some good synergy. I had more considered Lapis over Kagetsu though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on some assumptions concerning recruitment/reclassing/deployment my units would look something like this:

1. Dragon-Dragon Child Alear/Corrin
2. Back Up-Lord Diamant/Ike
3. Back Up-Lance Fighter Bonet/Roy
4. Mystical-Dark Mage Griss/Byleth
5. Mystical-Priest Alfred/Micaiah
6. Qi Adept-Monk Seadall/Leif
7. Covert-Thief Zelkov/Lyn
8. Cavalry-Sentinel Fogado/Edelaudimitri
9. Cavalry-Wolf Knight Kagetsu/Eiphrikaim
10. Cavalry-Royal Knight Mauvier/Sigurd
11. Flier-Wing Tamer Ivy/Celica
12. Armored-Armored Axe Boucheron/Lucina

Edited by BoydSteakhouse

No idea for Engaging other than Ike on Fogato potentially, but below are my ideas and impressions of the characters so far related to use:

100% Will Use:

Alear (No idea on which version yet) - Emblem Marth or Emblem Corrin (Although I assume Veyle will be another Manakete, and I'll probably be basic and slot Corrin on her)

Framme - Punching Healer I'M IN - Emblem Micaiah maybe?

Diamant - He looks cool - Emblem Roy

Jade - I like her armor - 

Lapis - I like her class - Emblem Lucina probably. 

Timerra - 100% every playthrough. I love her design and find her delightfully charming. Unless her supports are awful or her VA is super grating, I don't see this changing. - Emblem Eirika

Fogado - I think he'll be quite the fun character. - Either Emblem Ike or Emblem Lyn.

Merrin - Other than having a similar name to Kaladin's proto-character in The Way of Kings Prime, the class is called Wolf Knight. WOLF KNIGHT! HECK YES I'M USING HER! - Maybe Emblem Lyn or Emblem Sigurd. 

Pannette - I like to think of her as Annette's daughter, so I'm gonna use her.

Seadall - He's a guy dancer. Those are rare. - Maybe Emblem Byleth?

Goldmary - I love her design and female Heroes are always the best. 

Veyle - If playable. (And I'm assuming she is.)

Most Likely Will Use (Or At Least Train Up):

Alfred - I'll likely need a Cav unit, and I don't mind early-game Cavs.

Celine - I'll need a solid mage, and I don't plan on using Clanne any longer than I have to unless I really like his character and supports. 

Zelkov - I'm a fan on darker-skinned characters and I try to use them whenever possible. If Zelkov's recruitment is timely, I'll use him.

Yunaka - I actually really like her design

Hortensia - Her design has gone from "it's so bad and it doesn't fit the franchise" to "It's so bad it's good," for me, and I think her class may be interesting enough to try out. 

Etie - I'm really just curious if the bodybuilding thing is just for flavor text or if it'll show up in her growths. 

Alcryst - I like using Lords. 

Citrinne - Maybe? It depends on how different she'll be from Celine. 

Pandreo - His use depends on how healers and magic in general turn out, but I like having two healers per team, so I'm not opposed to using him. Besides, it may be fun for head-canons. 

Rosado - I like Wyvern Riders (and I'm super curious about their supports)

Amber - I have a weird head-canon that he's Ferdinand and Flayn's kid, and I want to explore that. 

Least Likely to Use* (Beyond Training Up for Supports):

Vander - I rarely use the Pre-promote Paladins in active battle unless I like them (Frederick/Rodrigue) or know there's a use for them (Seth/Titania). I'll wait to see how the fandom approaches Vander's usability before I make use of him too much. 

Clanne - I'll use him in the beginning out of necessity, but he's going to have to win me over for me to keep him long-term. (It's far from impossible, but it's an uphill battle right now.)

Louis - I just don't care for his design.

Chloe - I don't care for her design, and I run hot-and-cold on Peg Knights anyways. I really hope there are other Peg Knights that can be recruited, or at least I can change another unit into a Peg Knight. 

Boucheron - He's honestly between this category and the above. I don't know if I'll use him since I don't use Fighters that often and I don't like his design, but I can't say that I won't use him if I need an Axe user. 

Kagetsu - I'm just not interested in his character. 

*Of course this is always subject to change. 

Going off the assumption that the deployment limit is 12, I'm thinking my main team will probably look something like;

Alear (M) - Roy
Jade - Ike
Kagetsu - Marth (Sword Avoid synergy)
Seadall - Lucina (because dancer)
Chloe - Byleth (high movement on the super dance sounds awesome)
Ivy - Celica
Pandreo - Micaiah
Zelkov - Lyn (for the covert bonuses)
Merrin - Corrin
Bunet - Leif
Lapis - Eirika

Potentially spoiler-y units I want to add to my team include;

Spoiler

In my last slot, Mauvier - Sigurd (Alfred!Sigurd until Mauvier recruited)
And, if she is recruitable, Zephia - Eirika (replacing Lapis)

7 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Etie - I'm really just curious if the bodybuilding thing is just for flavor text or if it'll show up in her growths. 

Her stats are visible at 1:52 in the GameSpot hands on preview, if you'd like to see for yourself already. In spoilers in case you care to preserve the surprise:

Spoiler

It certainly seems like it, considering her strength is twice as high as her speed. Though it does appear as though something is lowering her base speed. Perhaps her personal skill?

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Though it does appear as though something is lowering her base speed. Perhaps her personal skill?

Spoiler

She's likely being weighed down by her Iron bow.

Characters I will use:

Alear (Marth), Diamante (Ike), Ivy (Celica), Alfred (Sigurd), Citrinne (Micaiah), Jade, Vander (Corrin)

Likely to use:

Timerra, Merrin, Seadall, Zelkov, Amber, Chloe, Louise, Boucheron, Lapis, Goldmary

Unsure:

Fogado, Alcryst, Celine,  Clanne, Kagetsu, Rosado,  Yunaka

Will not use:

Hortensia, Pandreo, Panette, Bunet, Etie, Anna

Have not decided on how to distrobute the remaining Emblems

This is temporary and will likely change once the game comes out.

Compared to say, Fates (especially Revelations, god forbid), this cast looks pretty manageable as someone who obsesses over keeping all my units around the same level. I tend to use characters that are relevant to the events of each chapter just for the challenge and for immersion. However, there are some classes/characters I'm super excited about and will probably use more often:

• Chloe/Griffin Knight
  • Merrin/Wolf Knight
  • Celine, idk the battle gown really gets to me. I want to see the girl dressed like a barbie doll bring in so many kills.
  • Zelkov & Yunaka, I think stacking poison will be a fun challenge
  • Jade, Women. in. STEM Armor.
  • Rosado, their Wyvern is so cute I want to see it in action
  • ...I guess I just like animals?

Now that we know reclassing is back and relatively open (even if we don't know the specifics just yet), what are everyone's reclassing plans, if any?

Me, I'd love for Vandad to punch people. Either that or unjeigan him into fighter and then make him a warrior. But I really, really would like for Vandad to punch people.

...Actually, Ivy'd make for a perfect brawler too. She should get a hidden damage boost if she's made to punch, those shoe and glove spikes look like they'd do more damage than any pretty magic tricks ever could lol

I believe I already expressed before before how I wanted to give Zelkov tomes if I can at all. Look at him - his robes just scream dark mage. He's maging, and no question.

I'm not entirely sure if bow warriors exist in this game, but that'd be my perfect promotion for Etie. Bodybuilder finally bodybuilt.

Those are the ones I can come up with on the spot. Anyone else have any ideas they'd like to share?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Now that we know reclassing is back and relatively open (even if we don't know the specifics just yet), what are everyone's reclassing plans, if any?

I think I'll use it sparingly, but I have a few I might be interested in doing:

Vander as a wyvern lord could be cool. Vander as a thief with his suit is literally old man Jacob.

Bonet might look decent with a class change outfit. Maybe as a Hero.

Lapis looks like more of a Hero than a Swordmaster to me.

Amber the Alpaco Hero is now a Hero!

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dunno. I don't even have a team worked out yet.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am a little scared of the reclassing based off of Vander's stat change for Berserker. I normally love Berserker, but seeing every single stat except for strength drop by leaving Paladin does have me a little worried if I'm honest. I like the idea of making him a Wyvern...but I'd also really love to make the old man a wizard in some run eventually.

The twins might have some aura personal skills, so I might just throw them in a high-mobility class eventually to make better use of it, but I don't really plan to use them right now.

I want to get Jade out of Knight as soon as possible and make her a Berserker or something, maybe? Depends on the stat caps for her, but maybe Great Knight would be fine. Etie being a Warrior seems fun if they have those back.

I really want to use Ivy as a flying mage, so I'd probably only dip out of it to grab a good skill and immediately go back to Wing Tamer or whatever the promotion is.

I'll probably leave reclassing for the first playthrough/first time using each character to see how they should play in their base forms.

As for future runs, Goldmary will definitely be put on to a griffon or wyvern and put into the sky with Hortensia and Rosado. I'll probably also try to put Vander on a flying mount too for full Shadow Dragon Jeigan vibes.

Lapis seems to fall into sword Paladin a lot based on promos, but I'll probably have her go axe Hero cause I think she fits that more.

I'll also probably do an all monk run at some point lol.

Assuming 12 units to match the Emblem count

Alear - Marth or Leif

Timerra - Ike

Framme - Micaiah 

Amber - Sigurd

Etie - Lyn or Leif

Zelkov - Lucina

Kagetsu - Corrin

Seadall - Byleth

Diamant - Roy

Pandreo - Celica

Bunet - Eirika/Ephraim

free space (hopefully Zephia) 🤞🏾

I don't have any plans for which rings to give to each character , in fact , I think I'll often switch them around depending on the map and which characters could use the extra boost to not fall behind. I'm going to assume that deployment slots will vary between 8 to 14 slots.

-Alear will stay on the team for obvious reasons. I really hope that their promoted class will have an additionnal weapon type , perhaps some sort of dragonstone ? We don't have any manaketes after all.

-I admit I intially didn't thought much of Vandar at first , but the other people here convinced me to tag him along. I'm very fond of Conquest Gunter , so even if he falls off hard in stats , I'll definitely find a way to make him viable again through skills and reclassing like I did with the former. That , and the nerfed movement ranges is making me lean heavily toward mounted units this time around.

-Framme. The moment I saw her kung fu fighting , I knew I had to save a spot for her. That and I need someone to punch the nerds mages in the face.

-Céline , since her fighting attire is adorable , I need magic firepower and always play with at bare minimum 2 healers . Abusing magic's damage output in player phase and then protecting them with mounted units is one of my favorite playstyles , and since Céline is a noble , I expect her to have very respectable stats.

-Louis because he's shaped like a friend. 4 moves general might be hell to play around , but I'll stick to Great Knight if there's not enough mobility skills like Shove or Swap.

-I was really hesitant to use Chloé because I tend to prefer pegasis for their supporting abilities with pair ups and staves , as well as their abilities to use bows in 3H. Many of them often felt like mage killers and couldn't really challenge other units , but I want to give her a fair shot and go outside of my comfort zone for that one.

-Alcryst is such a poor little meow meow so I have to add him. Archers got a massive power boost ever since Fates , to the point that they almost felt overpowered in 3H , so I'm very curious as to if they will see any nerfs in this game. Really hoping he can become a bow knight and not only a sniper.

-Citrinne because I just need more magic firepower for my prefered strategy to work. Even if she's ground only , they tend to hit harder than the mounted ones like Malig Knight and Dark Knights.

-Lapis. I am atrocious at properly using those fast mercernaries , but since the weapon triangle is so important in this game , I'll need someone else with lances (since Heroes can get that now apparently) outside of Chloé. That and she's cute.

-Ivy because I love Malig Knights. The mixed attacker aspect is something I value a lot , even if they tend to be surprisingly frele.

-Zelkov might not be a permanent part of the team , but I still don't know how chests and other valuable work , so I need an utility unit and prefer his design over Yunaka.

-Hortensia because she is really silly and I vibe with that. Also she can both fly and shoot magic so yeah she ticks all the boxes.

-Rosado is my favorite character so far , I am absolutely in love with their design. The 18 ribbons on their wyvern is just a fantastic touch. That and they will couple well with Vandar and Louis for mounted units with high attack.

-Anna. Small girl , big axe. You don't need to worry about the weapon triangle if you can kill everything in one hit , and I appreciate that with berserkers.

While I'm pretty new here, I spent a long time reading topics here about Engage (and other game in the past) and I find this one a bit fun. So, I'll try to make my own "pre-team" based on what we know now. I'm going with 12 characters, as I think it's the norm for final chapters in the FE series.

-Alear, for obvious reasons. Appart for the scenario, having a dragon-type unit is always interesting. Plus it seems the divine dragon class benefits from many bonuses. A must have it seems.

-Framme, because I need a healer and I really like brawlers since Three Houses. It was really fun to punch wyverns or beasts by bare hands. I really hope to do it again ahah!

-Céline, at first I wasn't thinking of including her. But I then saw her fighting with a (big) sword in her princess attire, and I find this idea really funny. So I really hope to make here fight big enemies, in her cute little outfit and big ass swords! Plus she's a magic user and I lack some magic in my teams, in general.

-Etie, I tend to prefer Alfred's retainers over Céline's ones. Etie is an archer, wich is always nice to have around. Plus, in her bio, she seems to like bodybuilding, and I find it original and funny. Yeah, I go a lot by "fun" or original things, ahah.

-Boucheron, big muscle guy, axe wielder early in the game. I just hope he's not too bad on the growth rates.

-Diamant, Brodian prince, King to be, sword wielder. I like those kind of lord in FE in general. He seems interesting in story and satisfying to play around.

-Jade, big armor girl. Why not? I tend to lack armor units in my games, so why not trying it with her. I hope she has good stats. Otherwise, maybe the reclassing system could help me.

-Citrinne, I like her design, she's a magic user, so she seems to have a good place in my team.

-Anna, I'm a big Anna fan, everytime. So it's just natural I want to include her. I just hope she have a good story. Plus, she uses axes, but seems natural in bows. That might be intersting to play around.

-Timerra, lance lord girl, since Ephraim, I really like those rare guys. When I saw her design, I was pretty convinced, but now I'm sure she will be here to carry my army, ahah!

-Yunaka, having a thief on the team is always a good move. But I wonder to what extents they're useful. Opening doors and chests is nice, but will she be enough in term of fighting? If not, I mght reclass her, or change her with another unit...

-Lapis or Goldmary, I'm not sure who's going to make it, but I always loved the mercenary/hero classes. So those girls seems to be nice addition. It might be Lapis, since we get her unpromoted, and I like her design a bit more.

I was hesitating with other units, but had to make a choice. Maybe, considering how the reclassing go, I could change some, like adding Vandad or Pannette. I might change some based on their stats, eventually...

As for the emblems, as I understood from the gameplay, I think it's better to make a rotation in ring's bearers, to inherit some interesting skills or get the weapons' requirements for some classes. By the end of the game, I think I would get more of the nice synergies that can be made and stick with some good pairing.

My team isn't really balanced, as I have a lot of physical users, and few males units. That may change too, or not. I don't know yet.

15 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

Vandad 

I love seeing more people calling him that hahaha

15 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

-Lapis or Goldmary, I'm not sure who's going to make it, but I always loved the mercenary/hero classes.

Lapis is actually a myrmidon, I'm pretty sure. She has a very mercenary-ish design, but she's a myrm. Of course, there's a 99% chance she can be instantly made into a merc if you want, so the point is rather moot.

24 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

While I'm pretty new here, I spent a long time reading topics here about Engage (and other game in the past) and I find this one a bit fun. So, I'll try to make my own "pre-team" based on what we know now. I'm going with 12 characters, as I think it's the norm for final chapters in the FE series.

-Alear, for obvious reasons. Appart for the scenario, having a dragon-type unit is always interesting. Plus it seems the divine dragon class benefits from many bonuses. A must have it seems.

-Framme, because I need a healer and I really like brawlers since Three Houses. It was really fun to punch wyverns or beasts by bare hands. I really hope to do it again ahah!

-Céline, at first I wasn't thinking of including her. But I then saw her fighting with a (big) sword in her princess attire, and I find this idea really funny. So I really hope to make here fight big enemies, in her cute little outfit and big ass swords! Plus she's a magic user and I lack some magic in my teams, in general.

-Etie, I tend to prefer Alfred's retainers over Céline's ones. Etie is an archer, wich is always nice to have around. Plus, in her bio, she seems to like bodybuilding, and I find it original and funny. Yeah, I go a lot by "fun" or original things, ahah.

-Boucheron, big muscle guy, axe wielder early in the game. I just hope he's not too bad on the growth rates.

-Diamant, Brodian prince, King to be, sword wielder. I like those kind of lord in FE in general. He seems interesting in story and satisfying to play around.

-Jade, big armor girl. Why not? I tend to lack armor units in my games, so why not trying it with her. I hope she has good stats. Otherwise, maybe the reclassing system could help me.

-Citrinne, I like her design, she's a magic user, so she seems to have a good place in my team.

-Anna, I'm a big Anna fan, everytime. So it's just natural I want to include her. I just hope she have a good story. Plus, she uses axes, but seems natural in bows. That might be intersting to play around.

-Timerra, lance lord girl, since Ephraim, I really like those rare guys. When I saw her design, I was pretty convinced, but now I'm sure she will be here to carry my army, ahah!

-Yunaka, having a thief on the team is always a good move. But I wonder to what extents they're useful. Opening doors and chests is nice, but will she be enough in term of fighting? If not, I mght reclass her, or change her with another unit...

-Lapis or Goldmary, I'm not sure who's going to make it, but I always loved the mercenary/hero classes. So those girls seems to be nice addition. It might be Lapis, since we get her unpromoted, and I like her design a bit more.

I was hesitating with other units, but had to make a choice. Maybe, considering how the reclassing go, I could change some, like adding Vandad or Pannette. I might change some based on their stats, eventually...

As for the emblems, as I understood from the gameplay, I think it's better to make a rotation in ring's bearers, to inherit some interesting skills or get the weapons' requirements for some classes. By the end of the game, I think I would get more of the nice synergies that can be made and stick with some good pairing.

My team isn't really balanced, as I have a lot of physical users, and few males units. That may change too, or not. I don't know yet.

I like this team because I am going to make an almost identical one (minus Jade and plus one flier)!  Also, I find that high physical teams are really good!

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I love seeing more people calling him that hahaha

Ahah! It's your fault I started to call it like that, by reading a lot of your replies with this new name. At first I didn't even consider making him a unit in my team, since I don't really like those promoted units. But with the reclassing system, it might be fine to use them still. And you people, all excited by the bearded dad made me consider him. He's pretty cool...

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lapis is actually a myrmidon, I'm pretty sure. She has a very mercenary-ish design, but she's a myrm. Of course, there's a 99% chance she can be instantly made into a merc if you want, so the point is rather moot.

Yeah, I understood that also, but she has a very mercenary-ish design, as you said. Soooo...i might intend to reclass her right away. Or promote her to Hero instead of Swordmaster, if that's possible. I don't really know what weapons she could access (without Emblems I mean) so I don't know if it will be a Sword/Axe classical Hero or not. But, Goldmary and her pretty new Sword/Lance Hero is interesting too.

10 minutes ago, kremelover said:

I like this team because I am going to make an almost identical one (minus Jade and plus one flier)!  Also, I find that high physical teams are really good!

Hum, it's interesting. I'm a big infantry guy, so I kind of lack mounted units in general. Fliers ones are pretty useful, in fact, so might consider it. Would you prefer a physical one like Chloé or Rosado? Or rather a magical one like the Elusian sisters?

18 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

Hum, it's interesting. I'm a big infantry guy, so I kind of lack mounted units in general. Fliers ones are pretty useful, in fact, so might consider it. Would you prefer a physical one like Chloé or Rosado? Or rather a magical one like the Elusian sisters?

I like Chloé's design best!

So I think this'll be my first run comp. (And I find it easier to plan backwards from Emblems than to plan emblems for characters).

Marth

Kagetsu (Swordmaster)

Swords and avoid bonus.

Celica

Chloe (Griffon Rider)

Chloe is the odd one out. Celica has magic and flying bonuses. I don't want to use Ivy or Hortensia, but Griffin Rider should have some magic due to staves.

Sigurd

Alfred (Avenir)

Cavalry bonus.

Leif

Diamante (Successor)

While losing out on the Qi Adept bonus for the engage skill is disappointing, the guaranteed break is such a small part of how Leif works. And I suspect Diamante will really benefit from the enemy phase versatility.

Roy

Alear (Divine Dragon)

If Alear gets a replacement Emblem as some are speculating, Roy could get passed down to someone else.

Lyn

Alcryst

Covert bonus.

Eirika and Ephraim

Merrin

Cavalry bonus for lance engage skill.

Ike

Louis (General or Great Knight)

Ike gets an apparent armor bonus, and the avoid penalty won't matter for Louis.

Micaiah

Citrinne (Sage)

Silver haired Citrinne is hella hot, and she should synergize well with Micaiah, obviously.

Lucina

Framme (Master Monk)

Qi Adept bonus on dual guard.

Corrin

Seadall (Dancer)

Corrin is one of the emblems I am least interested in using, and this will ultimately just give a little more support capability to a unit who won't be fighting anyway.

Byleth

Zelkov (Thief)

This pairing works on a few levels. The rally speed is one of the best buff effects. The Failnaught will give him a ranged option. And since he won't promote, history shows that Thieves are pretty weak, so sacrificing his turn to dance or rally is ultimately a good play.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

since he won't promote, history shows that Thieves are pretty weak

On that note, will he go up to 40 instead? Or am I missing something here?

Edited by Shadow Mir