Ideas for Pre-Release Teambuilding/Engaging

Coreyographed

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

On that note, will he go up to 40 instead? Or am I missing something here?

We don't know the exact level cap of thieves/dancers since we haven't seen either at a capped level, all we know is they go beyond 20. I personally believe they'll go to level 30. Unlike Fates, where units like Azura going to 40 was kinda required due to how reclassing worked and how you retained your level, with how your level resets here for reclassing, I think they'll probably just go to 30 like in SD/Awakening

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Etie might be a lock on my roster at the very least. She supposedly starts with a str base of around 10 (based on a calculation that someone else did) at lvl 4 which is very promising in my eyes so she's seemingly going to be an earlygame archer that's actually good (for once lmao)

Unknown what to do about Emblems. 

Edited by PsychoLogical

On 12/18/2022 at 12:30 PM, FashionEmblem said:
  • Definitely
    • Alear (M) - Not a big fan of either design, but I think the red/blue hair looks better on male Alear's longer face than female's rounder one. It's unclear to me how reclassing will work in this game, though it is likely present (we've seen a character, if I recall correctly, Etie, as an Archer and Swordmaster) so unsure what class Alear will end up; usually the avatar is the most customizable unit.
    • Seadall - As a dancer, he has a guaranteed spot. If I recall correctly, Sigurd's ring provides Mov +1 and Canter passively when not engaged, so much like the Fetters of Dromi I'm sticking that onto my dancer.
    • Ivy - Flying mage with a great design, what's not to love (those wrist spikes, actually, but luckily that's a small detail). I'm also a big fan of the flying mage using both tomes and staves. That was also true in Three Houses, but in Awakening and Fates they kept those separate for fliers.
  • Likely
    • Fogato - Love the attitude in his design—he seems very sassy and fun-loving. Unclear if bows will be good in this game, but even if they aren't I'm still likely to use at least one bow character to snipe down fliers and Fogato has dibs.
    • Rosado - They seem like a fun character and will likely be a good unit thanks to their wyvern.
    • Diamant - I like his design. Once again wondering about reclassing because infantry sword-lock is usually not the best place to be. This game does seem to have some movement compression to benefit infantry (Paladins only have 6 move) but mounts still have canter.
    • Amber - The cavalry character I've liked the most aside from Fogato. He just seems silly and fun and as a Lance Paladin is likely to contribute in battle.
    • A staff bot - None of the mages aside from Ivy have spoken to me thus far, but somebody has to get out there and provide support (unless Ivy is sufficient on her own, but I was imagining her focusing on combat). I believe the Royal Knight class has staves and Mauvier, one of the Four Hounds, comes as one. Mauvier seems like he could be recruitable (or a Camus destined for defeat). Though, the Royal Knight may have a bad magic stat to encourage you into using a Sage, High Priest, or Céline's personal class instead. With a focus on support, I'm thinking they are likely to get Byleth's ring, though I have yet to look into Micaiah.
  • Maybe
    • Chloé - Her personality seems generic/uninteresting so far, but she seems to be an early game flier so has a good shot to making it onto my team.
    • Alfred - Also strikes me as a bit generic/uninteresting so far, but as early cavalry, he has a shot of making it in. If the royals get PRF weapons his odds go up and maybe even knocks Amber out depending on number of deployment slots and my final team composition.
    • Zelkov - He's likely my choice for thief if thief-utility is worthwhile in this game. I prefer his edgy the hedgy design to Yunaka's trickster. Normally I'd be looking for Anna to fill in as thief, but I'm not a fan of her younger design and she seems to be going axe route instead this time.
    • Merrin - The wolf riding class seems interesting and she seems the poster child for it.
  • Avoid
    • Hortensia
    • Timerra
    • So far I haven't like either of them. Their designs are overwrought and scream circus in a way I don't like. Ironic since I like their respective compatriots (are they relatives?) so much. Unfortunate because as a flying mage Hortensia's likely a lot of fun to use in battle.

Finally feel like I got the reclassing system in this game, so now I can revisit this topic. I also think we have seen most of the playable cast, though there may be some stragglers (I suspect paralogue/optional) out there (the villager/trainee character, Jean, just got introduced).

• Definitely
    • Alear (M) - They're required and still prefer the hair on the male design. Reclassing wise, I suspect you lose the bonuses dragon gives you for emblems. Access to fisticuffs when I believe most are brave weapons also has some potential. I don't know, I think it'll depend on which emblem I end up choosing for Alear and if the buff from dragon is worth it. Surprisingly, I don't believe we've seen anything about the class using dragonstones/being a manakete? Is that really only going to be available to emblem Tiki despite protagonist-kun being the dragon child of destiny?
    • Seadall - Dancer/10. No indications of any other dancers out there. I realize now that canter seems exclusive to Sigurd's emblem, not mounted units generally. I suspect I still want dancer + canter, since I usually use canter defensively and the dancer is a squishy support unit who needs to act in melee. One of the other emblems, maybe Corrin, does give huge buffs to terrain bonuses, so that could be an alternative for some dodge-tanking since Sigurd synergizes better with cavalry.
    • Ivy - Still love the design, and it now seems mage flier is exclusive to her and Hortensia. I still don't like Hortensia, so Ivy seems a lock.
    • Fogato - The more footage I've seen of him, like in Somniel, the more I like this guy. He's the only charcter in this list inclined to archery, and I imagine I want at least one.
    • Diamant - The more I see the more I like. His sword + axe proficiency makes me think he may end up being a sword wyvern for me; I feel like he fits the wyvern aesthetic. The game does seem to be going out of its way to help infantry keep up with mounts, so maybe I will leave him in his personal class too.
  • Likely
    • Rosado - Wyvern/10 and fun personality.
    • Chloé - Early flier and the promotion to Griffin Knight gives her staff access. She may get demoted/replaced depending on my flier team composition and if her staff utility is compromised by the C rank cap.
    • Amber - Still enjoying what I've seen of him, which is admittedly sparse. I'll probably keep him as cavalry, though lots of potential variation with Lance Paladin, Great Knight, and Royal Knight. Could also promote him into a Wolf Knight instead of a horse with lances + daggers for some variety. Maybe Lance Bow Knight so Fogato has some assistance in the archery department.
  • Maybe
    • Zelkov/Yunaka - Initially I thought thief utility may be meh, thinking on how keys were a trivial purchase in Three Houses. Emblem Micaiah gives any unit access to staves though, so now I think you can have a thief staff-bot for utility. Yunaka's design has also warmed up on me as a trickster, and seeing more of Zelkov makes me think he's more of a nihilist than an edge-lord, losing some luster. Anna was also shown with a dagger proficiency, so maybe she'll make it in as my thief instead, she's likely to have the better magic stat for that staff utility between the three of them. Still in the maybe due to some unknowns: do I want any thiefs, what's the staff rank cap coming off Michaih?
    • Alfred - Pretty much the same as before, hard to go wrong with keeping the early-game cavalier. Nothing about his personality or design speaks to me, so maybe he'll get bumped off.
    • Cetrine (maybe Celine) - I'm thinking one of these two as my grounded mage. I don't like Celine's outfit, but she loses it with reclassing and I don't think swords are really adding much to her kit. Idk, there might be fun shenanigans with Ignis, which is likely exclusive to Celine, but I like Cetrine's design more. I'm thinking going Sage for the staff utility and S rank tomes over Mage Knight.
    • Merrin/wolf knight - I definitely want a wolf knight, making Merrin the obvious candidate, but maybe I'll put in someone else I like more through reclassing. Maybe I'll use Amber as a wolf knight so he won't feel redundant with Alfred.
    • Pandreo - Looking over the rest of the team and there's a notable lack of fisticuffs - just Seadall (support) and Alear (primarily swords?). I definintely like Pandreo more than Framme. I also suspect his High Priest line is a better fit than Martial Monk for them (Framme's been doing pathetic damage with body arts, so I imagine her str stat isn't very high. She probably could do better damage with tomes, but I don't think she has the proficiency natively).

That actually it, and it's mostly solidifying my thinking rather than new additions. That's 13 characters and I expect the deployment limit to cap at 12 (one for each emblem). Movement composition looks like 3-4 fliers, 3-4 cavalry, 1 covert, 1 mystical, 2 qi adept, 0-1 backup, and 1 dragon child. Weapon variety seems decent except for only one bow unit. Hmm, maybe I can do something like Lance Wolf Knight Alfred and Lance Bow Knight Amber (bench Merrin, whom I believe is sword + dagger Wolf Knight?)

Edited by FashionEmblem

on my first run I might just use all lords as priority as I’m almost certain they’ll be good.

I also want Seadall cus he a dancer ofc.

The rest I’m not too sure I still don’t have a good impression on everyone.

Since I pre-ordered it and we're a week away from release...

Likely to use:

Celine
Chloe
Citrinne
Etie
Yunaka
Framme
Timerra
Ivy
Hortensia
Lapis
Goldmary
Merrin

This is tentative because deployment limits are unknown. And hey, I said it earlier; this'll look more like a Sakura Wars set before I'm done.

Deployment limit should be between 10 to 15 so I'm gonna allow myself to make a 15 characters list.

Those I really wanna use:
- Alear (the protagonist so of course but considering how bad my initial thought on him, he really grew on me)
- Louis (Kellam with fabulous hair lol, will try to promote him to great knight and give him Sigurd)
- Alcryst (character that lack confidence but try hard never-the-less is relatable to me, I also really like both of his retainer as well)
- Panette (really like the berserker theme she got going, trying to act prim and proper but letting lose in battle, she really grew on me when I first saw her profile on the site)
- Hortensia (unpopular opinion but I like her archetype, the fact she seem a bit meaner than your usual fire emblem rich girl is interesting too)

Those I want to use but could drop depending on the situation:
- Céline (I honestly like her better than her muscle-obsessed brother, she also seem super sweet)
- Lapis (alway liked female myrmidon, the fact she got a cool red armor, pink hair and a interesting hair ornament is another really good point imho, will propably give her Roy)
- Zelkov (kinda remind of Hubert but less vicious, also one of the few thief in the game so I'll take him over Yunaka)
- Anna (I don't like Anna units that much in most fire emblems but tiny Anna just too cute, the fact they also giving her support is much better than what we seen in the past, will try to promote her to Hero and give her Ike)
- Chloé (I'm propably not her biggest fan but she pretty cool and considering I wanna use Celine and Louis, I think she will fit nicely on my team, I would promote her to griffin knight)

Those I'm not entirely sure about:
- Vander (cool older dude and propably my favorite calvary unit yet)
- Fogado (mostly to complete my group composed of the younger noble siblings but also because he sound like quite the charmer and I alway find those character funny)
- Citrinne (I really like her too but I feel I might have too much tome users already)
- Seadall (you can't go wrong with a dancer but a male dancer is even more interesting)
- Pandreo (Panette brother + delinquent priest is alway funny in my book)

Edited by Emobot7

So, I was browsing through the "Emblem" section of Engage (not the forum, but, still on this website).  A lot of the ring's skills are posted and I learned some useful information for teambuilding!  I recommend checking it out!

14 hours ago, riolumaster said:

So how are y’all going to use Clanne now that his growth rates have been leaked (starting mage with 10% MAG growth rate…why IS?)

Maybe Cavalier/Wolf Knight would be good since he has better STR growth rates and has a sword proficiency?

Ahah! I would have never use him in the first place, design-wise problem for me. At first, I was hoping that Citrinne and Céline could fill the magic places in my team. Now that we have the growth rates, I really consider reclassing Anna as a powerful yet fragile mage. One of my favorite type of mage in FE saga.

But yeah, all those growth rates make us think a bit more about our team, and of course reclassing!

19 hours ago, riolumaster said:

So how are y’all going to use Clanne now that his growth rates have been leaked (starting mage with 10% MAG growth rate…why IS?)

Maybe Cavalier/Wolf Knight would be good since he has better STR growth rates and has a sword proficiency?

I wasn't planning on using Clanne, so doesn't affect me much. I suppose he may be destined for the bench even sooner, but Céline and Cetrinne were gunning for the mage slot even in the early game. I still think that growth rate could be a typo? Clanne has the same magic growth rate as Vander otherwise ...

Finding out about characters' main proficiency did make me rethink my plans though. It feels like you're rewarded for using a character in a class whose secondary weapon is their primary weapon? For example, Avenir Alfred gets A lance and B swords; his primary weapon talent in lances does nothing since Avenir can't go above A lances. However, put Alfred into a lance!Wolf Knight, and now he keeps A lances (going up from B) and gains A daggers instead of B swords. There's more than just maximizing ranks (B swords could be much better than A daggers, for example) but feels odd that aside from differences in growth rate a character that reclasses away from their main proficiency can be stronger than a character native to that class. For example, if Pandreo has a primary talent in staves, then as a Sage he gets S tomes and A staves vs. Citrinne who just gets S tomes and B staves. Citrinne could still be better if her stats work out better (in this case, more magic) but it still feels odd, no?

Edited by FashionEmblem

I am going to use all 7(including Anna) Elusians as I really like them. Also there are many supports between them which is always good. As they join later in the game I will have plenty of time to figure out who else I am going to use - right now candidates are Vander, Etie, Jade, Louis, Yunaka, Seadall, but this could always change based on performance/personality.

14 hours ago, FashionEmblem said:

I wasn't planning on using Clanne, so doesn't affect me much. I suppose he may be destined for the bench even sooner, but Céline and Cetrinne were gunning for the mage slot even in the early game. I still think that growth rate could be a typo? Clanne has the same magic growth rate as Vander otherwise ...

Finding out about characters' main proficiency did make me rethink my plans though. It feels like you're rewarded for using a character in a class whose secondary weapon is their primary weapon? For example, Avenir Alfred gets A lance and B swords; his primary weapon talent in lances does nothing since Avenir can't go above A lances. However, put Alfred into a lance!Wolf Knight, and now he keeps A lances (going up from B) and gains A daggers instead of B swords. There's more than just maximizing ranks (B swords could be much better than A daggers, for example) but feels odd that aside from differences in growth rate a character that reclasses away from their main proficiency can be stronger than a character native to that class. For example, if Pandreo has a primary talent in staves, then as a Sage he gets S tomes and A staves vs. Citrinne who just gets S tomes and B staves. Citrinne could still be better if her stats work out better (in this case, more magic) but it still feels odd, no?

Hum, I get what you want to say. More than just having characters better that other in their own class, I think units who have natural talent in a weapon could profit more in a class where that weapon is not originally at S rank, and can gain a rank. The Pandreo example works, because Staves aren't considered a real weapon. Units can have a S weapon (Usually Tome) with staves (like Griffin, who can have an A rank in a weapon, that can be changed in S rank if the natural talent is here). But since Staves isn't a weapon, I think he's the only one who could have this benefit. Having a S weapon while having a good rank in an other prof. I don't think any other units can acheive that. At better, they can have two rank A weapons (Mage Knight, and Wolf Knight. Wolf Knight could profit more to those with Dagger talent).

Units with a talent in a weapon, can go to S rank with said weapon in classes like general or paladin, where it was originally an A rank. Which might be interesting.

But, I don't know if the weapon rank is the most important thing to plan your unit's classes. Are the S rank weapon really that much powerful? Do you have better interest in using multiple weapons? And with Emblems bonds, those things can change a lot. Personally, I prefer to plan the classes with the stats of my units, to either works on their natural strengths, or balance their weakness. But, while saying this, I also try to balance my team with all the weapons available, and consider having some with S rank to carry the S rank weapons.

12 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I like having one troll (aka borderline useless character) in each run. Right now I’m thinking mage Boucheron.

Oh! I love this idea! I don't think I could bother a completely useless character (Boucheron having 0 % growth in Magic could be difficult to handle) but I really like this fun challenge. I might consider having an unnatural unit too.

5 minutes ago, Hiroki said:

Oh! I love this idea! I don't think I could bother a completely useless character (Boucheron having 0 % growth in Magic could be difficult to handle) but I really like this fun challenge. I might consider having an unnatural unit too.

I'm not sure how class growths affect the character's stat growths in general but I'm hoping he'll reach at least 10% magic growth as a mage. Either that or I'll just throw stat boosters at him lmao.

I tried units in classes they're clearly not meant to be in in Three Houses and there were some surprises like how Armour Knight Marianne was actually not useless. 

1 minute ago, zuibangde said:

I'm not sure how class growths affect the character's stat growths in general but I'm hoping he'll reach at least 10% magic growth as a mage. Either that or I'll just throw stat boosters at him lmao.

I tried units in classes they're clearly not meant to be in in Three Houses and there were some surprises like how Armour Knight Marianne was actually not useless. 

Oh yeah, even better than that! He won't be at 0% because Mage or Sage have growth in magic. Respectively 25% and 30%. So you could count on it, and chance, to make him a decent mage, ahah!

In advance, I apologize for the double post. Wanted to talk again about this.

Speaking of teambuilding, with the recent leaks, I have a lot more to plan/build it, and while it kind of obsess me (I really need to get my game soon, ahah) I might change all of this. But, for now, I have a few ideas of what it could be. I'm planning between 12-14 units, since that's what people seems to say for the last chapter (But not sure, info are very scarce).

I'll tend to balance my team in term of weapon coverage. I also need to have few units with S rank, so can use the S rank weapons of the game.

Sure Bet

-Alear : It's the protagonist, the only forced unit. So it's mandatory to count him here. I think I'll have the male version, because of balancing the male/female ratio. I'll use him in his unique class too, to benefits of the dragon type, etc.

-Diamant : I like him, his design and everything. I'll use him in his unique class too, because of the prof and everything. He could act as a "Hero", as I'm not sure I will have one. Obviously, he might be the carrier of the S swords.

-Timerra : I really like her, and she's a Lance lord. So I'll use her in her unique class! She could carry the S lances, and might be the only lance's user if I don't manage it well, eheh.

-Etie : I really like her too, and especially as an archer. I like archer girl in general. Plus she has good strength growth, might be cool to play her. Obviously, carrier of S bow.

Spoiler

-Saphir : I really lik her design, so she should be a sure bet for me, ahah! I don't yet know what class I should play her, but I think I might keep her in her warrior class, swinging big axes and using a bow should be really cool looking!

-Jade : I like her design and I would like to play her. But, I'm really not sure what class to give her. On one hand, General is nice, big defenses, immune to break. I would prefer Sword General, because I'm nostalgic of FE8, but I have many swords users already (and she would be only A sword in that case). Could be also S Axe General. But the other option would be to change her to Lance Fighter/Halleberdier, since the game don't give us any naturally. She would gain S Lances. I'm just afraid to see if her stats merge well with this role.

-Citrinne : My last sure unit, I guess. Main magic user, to wield powerful tomes! I like her design and she's one of the main magic users given by the game.

Not So Sure

-Yunaka : I don't know if I need to have a thief in my band, or their value on the long term (other than just opening chest), but if I have to, she will be my thief. She could carry S rank Daggers. but if I don't need her, I might consider a Wolf Knight instead (her or Merrin).

-Anna I always like Anna, and so be it. Even if she's really (too) young, I might include her in my team. But, having seen her stats, I might not keep her in an Axe class. Not even a physical class. Might be a really good Magic user, like Sage.

-Céline : I find it fun that she's a cute girl, in a cute outfit, with big swords. But, it's just for the fun, I don't know if she'll be good enough. She can be a good mixed unit. Usage will tell. Will keep her in her unique class, because it would make the better out of her stats I guess.

-Framme : I really wanted to use her at first, but now I doubt. I don't know if Martial Master is as cool as I thought it would be. Seems to be kind of "weak" and their fists seems to be just an "add-on" to their staves. Biggest strength might lies in their double attacks, and avoid? I really hope she could be a powerful brawler.

-Lapis : At first, I thought she would be my "Hero", since I really like this class. But now, I'm not so sure. Especially since Diamant would really fit in that role. But she has really good speed. Swordmaster could be an idea, but I really prefer Hero. Guess I'll see. Might be a Lance Hero to balance a bit my team with a new Lance user.

-Boucheron : I might stick with him, especially since I don't have a lot of male units (really not, after checking, ahah), but his low strength growth scare me a bit. I know Axe are the mightier weapons, so I guess it's for balance. Well, after thinking, with around 40 % growth, he's pretty average. Might be the S rank Axe.

-Ivy : At first, I didn't want to consider her, but since the limit could be 14, I could find her a place. Especially since someone here (don't remember the name, sorry) gives me the idea of a support with Diamant. She would bring another Tome and Staff to my team.

This could be my team. I'm doubtful of some units, since we saw their growth rates. I end up with 4-5 Sword users, 3-4 Axe users, 1-3 Lance users, 2 Bow users, 2 Body Arts users, 1 Dagger user, 4 Magic user and 5 Staves users. I think it's kind of balanced

Also, I lack a bit of male units (literally 3 for 11 female, ahah. But I like the female units more than the male ones in this game) so, I could add Vander or Kagetsu, eventually. But in a funny role, like Martial Master, as I would love to see them punch foes. But I fear RNG would screw me with the Growth of this class.

I'll have to consider how many second seals we get in the game, to know if it's a strategy to gain level in some classes to enhances the gain, and changing back to fighting classes. Don't know yet.

9 hours ago, Hiroki said:

But, I don't know if the weapon rank is the most important thing to plan your unit's classes. Are the S rank weapon really that much powerful? Do you have better interest in using multiple weapons? And with Emblems bonds, those things can change a lot. Personally, I prefer to plan the classes with the stats of my units, to either works on their natural strengths, or balance their weakness. But, while saying this, I also try to balance my team with all the weapons available, and consider having some with S rank to carry the S rank weapons.

I'm actually thinking the opposite and think weapon ranks will be more important than class growths. Of course, stats should synergize with class so if a unit starts in a class they aren't apt for they should try to get out (e.g., character with high magic reclassing from physical to magical/hybrid, or vice-versa for high strength). But, the added growths from classes are usually pretty minor.

My current assumption is that S rank weapons don't matter too much, and weapon variety, with more avenues for breaking (or not getting broken) will matter more. As an example, I expect the added variety of a Wolf Knight, Bow Knight, Great Knight, or Wyvern Rider to be more valuable than an S rank Paladin. As a result, I'm probably going to end up missing a bunch of S rank weapons based on my current planning. I'm also partially assuming tight deployment slots, so things open up if we get more.

Very interested in the pair of Etie and Boucheron since seeing their growths and personal skills. It's like they're meant to be reclassed into each other's classes lol. Axe fighter Etie and archer Boucheron, I may just try it.

Etie's skill only seems useful on enemy phase, and there aren't that many opportunities to be an enemy phase archer. Boucheron's skill requires him to fight with other Backup classes. Unless he's stuck with a hand axe or always has someone to flank for him, it would be easier to proc with a good ranged class.

But yes I'm aware they cover for the weaknesses of their base classes too. You like an axe attacker with high hit.