The swiggle swaggle thingy is very weeb and cringe.

♠Soul♠

You know, the little swiggle swaggle thingy weebs use when they think they're being cute, charming and alluring, but they really just sound like a creepy pedophile.

You know, this thing:

~

"wow you're really cute i want to lick your feet~"

I use the ~ to represent "sort of." Like it kind of looks like a wave, so I think it means wavering or vacillating. I don't know what it's actually for. I guess I'll google it.

As it turns out, in math, it does indicate similarity. I guess I secretly like math.

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

45 minutes ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

I use the ~ to represent "sort of." Like it kind of looks like a wave, so I think it means wavering or vacillating. I don't know what it's actually for. I guess I'll google it.

As it turns out, in math, it does indicate similarity. I guess I secretly like math.

Someone using it properly? Nonesense.

14 hours ago, Original Johan Liebert said:

14 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

Someone using it properly? Nonesense.

Oh yeah, tildes are fine for saying something like "it's ~144 eggs" and such.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I would have assumed them to be respectable and well-adjusted. 

They would at least seem...confident?

I can't say I often come across scenarios that use a tilde like that, but when I do, I typically ignore it. That's something I'd usually find in chat when I play TF2. Otherwise, yeah, I'd say it can lead to some discomfort.

Outside of such scenarios, I sometimes use it as a spacer between paragraphs to indicate a change or transition, like to end one section of a story and move onto the next without separating things too much; it's functionally like a scene change in a movie or show, and instead of moving onto a new chapter, I can use a couple tildes to keep things within the same chapter and keep the flow going. An empty gap of space does the same job just fine, but using tildes makes it look so much nicer.

3 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

Outside of such scenarios, I sometimes use it as a spacer between paragraphs to indicate a change or transition, like to end one section of a story and move onto the next without separating things too much; it's functionally like a scene change in a movie or show, and instead of moving onto a new chapter, I can use a couple tildes to keep things within the same chapter and keep the flow going. An empty gap of space does the same job just fine, but using tildes makes it look so much nicer.

It's more elegant than using equal, hyphen or underscore for that too.

From what I've seen, the tilde is also used as sort of a secondary hyphen, for instance to categorize music tracks like Leif's Army in Search of Victory ~ Base (in fact all of FE5's soundtrack uses a tilde this way).

On 12/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, Original Johan Liebert said:

Makes sense, especially since there's also this math symbol 

Two tildes making a tilde equal sign, and as you might expect it means "approximately equal to" or "almost equal to".