I can't relate to Christmas at all.

♠Soul♠

If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, it's hard to relate to the North American propaganda of what Christmas "should" be. You know, with the warm fireplace, cozy-looking home, warm foods and jingles. It's Summer over here, and none of that ever clicked, which really undersells a lot of what that holiday should represent. And not only that, in my home, we never really celebrate it, either. We don't even get a Christmas tree.

Doesn't help I'm not much of a family person, since it's also just me and my mother.

2 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, it's hard to relate to the North American propaganda of what Christmas "should" be. You know, with the warm fireplace, cozy-looking home, warm foods and jingles. It's Summer over here, and none of that ever clicked, which really undersells a lot of what that holiday should represent. And not only that, in my home, we never really celebrate it, either. We don't even get a Christmas tree.

Doesn't help I'm not much of a family person, since it's also just me and my mother.

Kids who live in Florida with a single mother looking at you like:

image.png?width=498&height=568

14 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Though yeah. All the winter motifs really would look weird in warmer regions.

And far from it that the Northern Hemisphere will assuredly have a white Christmas. You need either luck, or a really northern/mountainous location for snow that early into a season that officially begins four days beforehand. And in the years and record temps to come, the likelihood of having snow on Xmas day is only going to decline. Cold without snow, while lacking the ice and shoveling and driving issues, isn't very magical for a day or two either.

Thus, the climatic imagery of Christmas is almost as much fantasy as Fire Emblem. Almost.

That is unfortunate. I was "lucky" enough to grow up in a temperate area of the northern hemisphere, so "white Christmases" are the norm for me. That said, it would make sense for southern hemisphere populations (i.e. in Australia, Argentina, Angola... lotta "A" countries) to have their own Christmas traditions and expectations. Say, Santa Claus in a budgie smuggler?

17 hours ago, Florete said:

Your fault for living in the southern hemisphere!

(That was sarcasm)

You're right, it is my fault. My cosmic being could've chosen not to incarnate in the southern hemisphere, but here we are.

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That is unfortunate. I was "lucky" enough to grow up in a temperate area of the northern hemisphere, so "white Christmases" are the norm for me. That said, it would make sense for southern hemisphere populations (i.e. in Australia, Argentina, Angola... lotta "A" countries) to have their own Christmas traditions and expectations. Say, Santa Claus in a budgie smuggler?

You're funny.

I never heard of "white christmas", but it probably perfectly describes it.

We don't say "Santa Claus", we say "Papa Noel". b:

For me, while the decorations are sort of part of the appeal, it is not the main thing, and the decorations are just a side effect. What feels magical and special about the holiday season is the atmosphere and cheer, and I feel the happiest spending that time with my friends.

Except last year that just passed, when I do not feel magical or special at all for the first time, and I am just kind of down and lonely. There were happy moments when I am with friends, but I felt sad overall. But normally, around this time of year, I am usually pretty happy.