Mythic Heroes: Double Mythic Heroes

Fire Emblem Fan

Have some stats:

5ev92g91xhea1.png

Fomortiis has superboons in Atk and Spd.

Gotoh has superboons in Atk, Spd, and Def, and superbanes in everything else.

25% is the lowest growth rate they're willing to give any unit in the game, and both of them have it in Spd. They only way they could have min-maxed them even more while remaining within the confines of how low other units have gotten is if they dropped their level-1 Spd stat down to 3 and handed those points to a different stat.

Now that their stats are released, I do still wish that they gave Fomortiis D/R Far Save instead of A/D Far Save.

Fomortiis's untransformed sprite is not just Lyon, it's actually Lyon's dead and limp body being held up at standing height. When he transforms, his body flops to the ground before being lifted into the air and possessed, allowing him to do the both-arms yorokobe shōnen pose in the air before being replaced by Fomortiis, who pushes himself up into his idle position.

I was hoping for a bit more flair on the Fomortiis side, but the Lyon side of the transformation makes up for it. It's a pity you'll almost never get to see the animation since it only plays if he is untransformed at the start of combat, and the map transformation animation is nothing special.

A not so fun fact: Fomortiis completely powercreeps Fallen Edelgard in terms of stats. Compared to her, Fomortiis has +1 HP, +2 Atk (both of them have a super asset in Atk), +1 Spd, +2 Def, and +5 Res.

And yet, we'll all still see Fallen Edelgard way more in any PvP mode that isn't Anima season AR.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:55 PM, Baron the Shining Blade said:

This was quite a shocker. Two Mythics? It was a Legendary & Mythic before, never two of the same. Are they trying to make room on the calendar for Legend/Mythics from Engage?

They did two Mythics before, with Freyja and Triandra. But yes, they're probably trying to scramble through candidates from older games because the rest of the Mythic schedule is taken up with Book 7 and Engage characters.

10 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

A not so fun fact: Fomortiis completely powercreeps Fallen Edelgard in terms of stats. Compared to her, Fomortiis has +1 HP, +2 Atk (both of them have a super asset in Atk), +1 Spd, +2 Def, and +5 Res.

And yet, we'll all still see Fallen Edelgard way more in any PvP mode that isn't Anima season AR.

The difference is that Edelgard has Galeforce in a skill slot other than the Special slot, which is not replicable by anything Fomortiis can do. Even though Fomortiis has stats for days, he lacks the ability to either run both Galeforce and Bonfire or run Galeforce twice.

Previously, Fallen Edelgard could be run with her default build of a dual-phase Galeforce attacker and an alternate build for Savior. The release of Fomortiis effectively renders the Savior build obsolete outside of Aether Raids Dark defense teams, but doesn't change anything about the Galeforce role.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...... This banner looks pretty cool, I only pulled on colorless since I don't have Arval too. Just got Formotiis and he is sick! Now, I'm not sure if I'm underthinking it and that i'd be impractical or a bad idea for some reason but I really think that there should be more double Legendary (or double mythic, or double Legendary-Mythic) banners, by this I mean a lot more, like if it became the "new norm" with legendary/mythic banners and we started to get 2 of them released every month. I don't expect it to happen, but at least in my head it sounds like a really good idea, specially since we still have a LOT of units that could be potential legendaries/mythics (specially considering these less obvious/more obscure options, including villains) and probably won't ever be added to the game otherwise.

Also, someone mentioned that it's time to have armoured beasts of any color but colorless and that we already have enough colorless infantry tomes, I agree, if it wasn't for the sweet color sharing i'd rather if Formotiis was any other color.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:07 AM, Some Jerk said:

Re-reading the skill, it does seem geared to ignore anyone who has already acted and will pick the next-best target. Fun fact: Galeforce procs after the checks of skills like this, so Galeforce procs occurring when bashing into Fomo won't be meddled with if that was your concern. Also, after-combat effects typically fail if the unit dies unless it's explicitly stated otherwise (like L!Sigurd's extra movement).

Well, so at least there's a way to bypass his prf skill effect by attacking him with a unit that has Galeforce. I wonder what would happen if I initiated on him with B!Marianne, like if Requiem Dance would still proc after her ellegible ally's action was terminated, if her special procs only after Formotiis' prf skill then that could be another way to bypass it.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:10 AM, myrmidon_mamori said:

It's interesting to get a hint at how far in advance new units are prepared; Gotoh's Japanese voice actor passed away back in August.

I read once that one version of Byleth (I think that it was L!M! Byleth, but I'm not comppletely sure) was leaked around 6-8 months before his release, so I take that they tend to take at least this amount of time to be prepared. Take this information with a grain of salt though, because I read this on Reddit (and I haven't heard of the leak myself before, but also I don't follow this kind of information at all so I never know about them anyway) but in any case, yeah the units seem to be prepared with a lot of advance.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:24 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Oof. Poor Athos and Nergal. A Gotoh far less interesting and a main GBA villain far lamer showed them up.

To be fair, Gotoh is like the original Athos and most people seem to like Lyon and Formotiis as villains way more than Nergal so the choice makes sense, but I agree that I'd have liked Nergal and Athos more, not only because they have something to do with each other while Gotoh and Formotiis don't (not that I think that the choices for these double banners have to be related in any way, I just think that it would have been a nice touch) but because I like them more too (but I gotta admit that I only like Nergal more than Lyon and Formotiis cuz I haven't played FE8 yet too (and cuz I find it funny to laugh about how my cringy 15 years old self used to agree with Nergal's whole plan to the point of nodding during his whole final speech... and I know that when I play FE8 this won't happen anymore so I won't have a memory like that about Lyon or Formotiis)

On 1/26/2023 at 10:59 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Holy shit, it's really hard for me to type Fomortiis when his name has always been "Fodeth" for me and my internal monologue still reads his name as such.

Why "Fodeth"? Is the name written like this anywhere/"Formotiis" would be pronounced like that on your language, or it's just one those things that for some reason you misread for years and when you realize that you misread it you become weirded out by the actual name/prononciation?

On 1/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, Mercakete said:

Well dang. Okay, so, both of the new mythics are bonkers. Gotoh is pretty good at dealing damage (that -10 Res to foes is crazy), but his main strength is in defense (which I love.) It's like you can just feel the "I'll give you as many chances to change your mind about fighting me as I can, but push me too far and I'll throw you into the sun" attitude he has in how his skills are set up. Dang. And then there's Fomortiis. I do not want to fight him. XD That Nightmare skill plus his weapon...yeah. AND he can jump into combat in place of an ally. This guy is nuts.

Maybe I'm overestimating how broken these guys are, but shoot are they amazing. (Also, Fomortiis was handled the way Grima should have been, imo, unless Robin is still actually still hanging in there as Robin and Grima hasn't actually fully taken over yet.)

I like this vision of how Gotoh sounds as an unit here, it makes me have the same impression of him and not be able to unsee it. I also fear having to fight Formotiis (gee, I wonder how i'll beat their legendary battle if I try). Also, yeah I have the impression that maybe I'm overstimating them as well but they do look broken as fuck (I used to think that Seidr's skill that force finishes her foes' actions only on odd turns and with a res check was alredy broken... Now look at this). 2022 had a thing for for DR, barely unconditional +5 to every stat and giving broken shit to dragons, wanna bet that 2023 will have a thing for "this skill ends foe's action immeadiately" and giving broken shit to beasts(I'm not opposed to buffing beast units at all, they kinda need it tbh)?

On 1/26/2023 at 5:36 PM, Diovani Bressan said:

Yeah... I thought about that, especially when I remembered that we have Fáfnir as a Dragon in the story and he is always transformed.

To make it work better, Grima would need to be a beast so they can do the same as they did with Fomortiis that has Lyon's body when not transformed: we would have a Robin body when not transformed but the unit would have a skill that makes Grima always transformed. But then it would be weird to have Grima as a Dragon all these years, and then having Grima alone as a Beast.

Honestly, after all these years of multiple Grimas... I don't think we really need to have a Grima only unit in FEH.

Yeaj I forgot about fafnir, Formotiis could've worked as a dragon as well I guess(although he wouldn't have that cool transformation with Lyon's corpse on the beggining of the maps, also I have the impression that IS is trying to do with beasts what they did with dragons last year, to make them a little more broken, so tI guess that they wanted to give us the first legendary beast and this looked like a good opportunity), but it'd have been cool if he at least alluded to being a dragon since despiste not being a dragon unit he still is a dragon character (maybe give him weakness against dragon eff weapons like Julius, or make him worse against opponets that have eff against dragons in another way like F!Julia, or idk maybe something like dealing damaged based on foe's res or something like that).

Eh... anyway, on the other topic, I also agree that we don't really need solo grima (now about solo Legendary Robin...). 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:03 PM, Tybrosion said:

Well, this reeks of “yeah, we had zero faith in either of these guys selling on their own.” This also definitely means we’re getting back to back Legendaries in February and March again.

That said, it is pretty cool to see both of these guys make it in.

Daisuke Izuka honestly might be the best artist in this game. Their art just never misses, and Fomortiis is no exception.

Like, they even went in super hard for the art of the botted meme character (Jorge).

I like Daisuke Izuka art a lot but this game has so many great artists that it's a very hard pick for me to chose my favorite one or the one I think is THE best overall. (Among my personal favorites are: Daisuke Izuka, Kozaki Yuzuke, PenekoR, Suzuki Rika, Niji Hayashi, (crucify me if you want to but) Kusakihara Toshiyuki, Akihiro yamada, Suekane Kumiko, Kita Senri, Clover.K, Yone Kazuki and certainly others but I'm lazy to have to look up more names). In this case, however, I think that it was the best decision to give the job to Daisuke Izuka, it's really hard to picture Formotiis' art being better, it was really an amazing job, some arts on this game amaze me way too much and this is one of them.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

On 1/26/2023 at 7:51 AM, Ice Dragon said:

I think the reason why Grima was handled the way he is in Heroes is because Robin still has a body when fought as Grima.

-snip-

EDIT: A permanently transformed Grima with no human body would also be a problem when he shows up in your castle at full size.

To be clear, I meant the name. Grima is not in the game, according to unit names. Just Robin at varying levels of being possessed (but I guess not totally possessed since (s)he is still called "Robin.") However, Lyon (and various versions of him), Fallen Lyon AND Fomortiis are in the game now, and are counted as different characters.

46 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Why "Fodeth"? Is the name written like this anywhere/"Formotiis" would be pronounced like that on your language, or it's just one those things that for some reason you misread for years and when you realize that you misread it you become weirded out by the actual name/prononciation?

That's his name in Japanese. It was changed to "Fomortiis" in the localization presumably because it was a bit too on-the-nose.

29 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

To be clear, I meant the name. Grima is not in the game, according to unit names. Just Robin at varying levels of being possessed (but I guess not totally possessed since (s)he is still called "Robin.") However, Lyon (and various versions of him), Fallen Lyon AND Fomortiis are in the game now, and are counted as different characters.

I mean, Grima is named "Robin" because he's still using Robin's body, you're still interacting with Robin's body, and the artwork is still of Robin.

Fomortiis is named "Fomortiis" because he literally just has Lyon's dead, limp body suspended there to not eat up your castle screen, doesn't interact with you with Lyon's body, and the artwork is of Fomortiis.

Edited by Ice Dragon

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Lyon certainly but I don't think I've ever seen anyone show much affection for Formotiis himself. 

hmmm that's fair, I guess that neither did I. I still haven't played Sacred Stones so I don't know how relevant Formotiis is per se (without Lyon, I mean), but since I've seen lots of people show love for Lyon I associated it with Formotiis as well (but thinking back I really have almost never seen Formotiis' name mentioned around, so much that I didn't even remember the name of the dragon that possessed Lyon until he was announced on the game now) 

Edited by ARMADS!!!

53 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

hmmm that's fair, I guess that neither did I. I still haven't played Sacred Stones so I don't know how relevant Formotiis is per se (without Lyon, I mean), but since I've seen lots of people show love for Lyon I associated it with Formotiis as well (but thinking back I really have almost never seen Formotiis' name mentioned around, so much that I didn't even remember the name of the dragon that possessed Lyon until he was announced on the game now) 

He only appears in person in the final chapter, after you kill Lyon. Many of Lyon's lines take place while he's being controlled by Formotiis, but it's not entirely clear how much of the resulting personality is Lyon and how much is Formotiis. (Also he isn't actually a dragon, he's a demon.)

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's his name in Japanese. It was changed to "Fomortiis" in the localization presumably because it was a bit too on-the-nose.

Fomoire/Fomhoraigh/Fomorians are a race of mythical beings in Celtic/Irish mythology. Since they are often depicted as evil, naming a titular Demon King after them makes some sense. No idea if the Japanese name you mention can be considered an attempted transliteration of the word, or if the English localization was guessing it was a mythological reference that isn't actually there.

Either way, it doesn't explain why the DK isn't "Fomorian". Although "mortis" is one variation of the Latin word for "death", as in the English-used phrase "rigor mortis" to describe a corpse that has stiffened as it initially decays. So maybe a blurring of the Celtic beings with the Latin word? It's kinda flows well.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fomoire/Fomhoraigh/Fomorians are a race of mythical beings in Celtic/Irish mythology. Since they are often depicted as evil, naming a titular Demon King after them makes some sense. No idea if the Japanese name you mention can be considered an attempted transliteration of the word, or if the English localization was guessing it was a mythological reference that isn't actually there.

Either way, it doesn't explain why the DK isn't "Fomorian". Although "mortis" is one variation of the Latin word for "death", as in the English-used phrase "rigor mortis" to describe a corpse that has stiffened as it initially decays. So maybe a blurring of the Celtic beings with the Latin word? It's kinda flows well.

Gee, his name is "Formortiis"! Until now I for some reason skipped the R every time and tought of it as "Formotiis". Anyway, thanks for the extra info I aways like to know the etimology of FE names.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The name's reference to the Fomorians of Irish mythology seems to be coincidental at best.

His name in Japanese is "Fodeth", which is likely an unknown source for "fo-" ("It sounds cool" is sometimes the only reason needed, as was confirmed to be the case for the "re-" in "Reshiram" and "ze-" in "Zekrom" in Pokémon) and an intentional or unintentional misspelling of English "death". The localization simply replaced "death" with the Latin "mortis" (genitive singular of "mors" meaning "death", seen, for example, in English "rigor mortis") with an extra "i" probably because it looked cool.

21 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Well, so at least there's a way to bypass his prf skill effect by attacking him with a unit that has Galeforce. I wonder what would happen if I initiated on him with B!Marianne, like if Requiem Dance would still proc after her ellegible ally's action was terminated, if her special procs only after Formotiis' prf skill then that could be another way to bypass it.

Having just watched someone science with it, I can confirm that Requiem Dance goes off after Fomortiis' Nightmare. If B!Marianne wasn't already invaluable for Galeforce teams in AR, she would be now.

Edited by Some Jerk

This is the first day of Gotoh being the bonus Hero in Aether Raids (and I ended up having to do my initial pulls for him today because of it), and I am thoroughly impressed with his bulk. My current copy is +2 merge with an Atk Asset (will probably switch to Def when I get one, but I have some time to think about it), and he's already tanking hits like a champ, even from Embla. It's made going for the Aether structures on the last few turns of each map extremely easy because he can literally just walk up to them without worrying about the last melee unit I left alive poking at him the whole way there.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:34 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Also, for those who haven't played The Sacred Stones, Fomortiis's normal attack animation and Special attack animation in Heroes use his Ravager animation from The Sacred Stones, and his non-Special finishing attack animation uses his Nightmare animation (including the glowing eyes as part of his casting animation, but the tail thump afterward is new and a great addition). In the Japanese version of the game, he is equipped with the 1-Range Ravager by default, but this was changed in the localized versions so that he would instead be equipped with the 1-to-2-Range Nightmare, which prevents players from getting free hits against him with ranged weapons before he can change his equipped weapon. As a result, it's not uncommon for non-Japanese players to have never seen the Ravager animation in a playthrough of the game.

I just realized yesterday that I confused Nightmare and Demon Light. Nightmare is Fomortiis's long-range "staff" weapon, which puts its target to sleep, hence why its effect in Heroes ends a unit's turn. Demon Light is Fomortiis's "tome" weapon, which is the animation that Heroes uses for Ravager's "magic" animation.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I just realized yesterday that I confused Nightmare and Demon Light. Nightmare is Fomortiis's long-range "staff" weapon, which puts its target to sleep, hence why its effect in Heroes ends a unit's turn. Demon Light is Fomortiis's "tome" weapon, which is the animation that Heroes uses for Ravager's "magic" animation.

Oh thats a nice analogy, I love when they give an unit a weapon or skill that resembles what they had on the game that they came from.

Btw, I've always wanted them to implement more cool status staves effects from the regular FEs on FEH, stuff like Berserker or the Sleep Staff (I'd kill someone only using my hands and a pair of safety scissors for Berserk staff to be on FEH, it if I had to). With this, now I wonder if they'll make a staff that ends the actions of the nearest foes to the foe in combat (or foes within cardinal directions of the foe an/or unit, maybe) or something like that, it'd be a nice way to implement the sleep staf since that's how they implemented Formortiis' sleep staff and also since "this skill ends foe's action" seems to have become a "popular" effect on units lately. Doing this would be a smart way to make staff units more usable (assumings it'll be an inheritable staff, but if it's not then whatever, it could still be a good staff unit).

Also, kinda unrelated, but now that we got months of skills to buff dragons and now it seems that we're getting lots of good stuff for beeast units too, I wonder if it'll ever become the healer's time to shine (but if not, whatever, I'm already happy with all these good skills to beasts).  

35 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Also, kinda unrelated, but now that we got months of skills to buff dragons and now it seems that we're getting lots of good stuff for beeast units too, I wonder if it'll ever become the healer's time to shine (but if not, whatever, I'm already happy with all these good skills to beasts).  

Something that we definitely need is a tier-4 Recovery skill that activates on every turn instead of every other turn like the current Odd/Even versions. And as a tier-4 skill, it should probably also grant an additional defensive status effect of some kind.

Also, now that Gjallarbru has a refine, it would be nice to get an inheritable staff that comes with only the "Isolation Ploy" effect. It would make staff units with high HP (Desert Cheine, Summer Rhys, Eremiya, and Azama) legitimately useful.

To that effect, every time we get a cool new debuff status effect, they really should release a staff that inflicts it.

And speaking of effects that don't get enough distribution, maybe something like

Rewarp 4 (Passive B): Unit can move to a space within 2 spaces of any ally within 2 spaces. If an Assist skill is used by unit, enables [Canto (Recall)]. 

Edited by Ice Dragon