Emblem Tier List

Jotari

On 2/17/2023 at 2:25 PM, samthedigital said:

Bottom: Celica, Leif

If we're including early game utility I'd rank Celica higher. Echo is decent with Dual Support+, and Warp Ragnarok is good for positioning later on in the game, but I just don't find her kit to be terribly effective for dealing damage most of the time.

Echo is very good with Nova, which I think is the best weapon in the game, and it makes sense to pair the Nova user with Celica for a bunch of reasons (+Mag stat boost, Resonance), so I think it's fine to consider it when rating the Emblem. Nova often has overkill damage (especially if you've buffed Ivy's speed at all or given Nova+Celica to a speedier mage with buffed MAG), and Echo let's you often re-allocate that to kill 2 targets per turn if they're within range, 4 with a handy dancer and unlucky opponents.

So Celica is good early game with Warp Ragnorak, then good late game when you get her back due to Nova (which you get shortly after you get back Celica).

Edited by ra2bk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ra2bk said:

Echo is very good with Nova, which I think is the best weapon in the game, and it makes sense to pair the Nova user with Celica for a bunch of reasons (+Mag stat boost, Resonance), so I think it's fine to consider it when rating the Emblem. Nova often has overkill damage (especially if you've buffed Ivy's speed at all or given Nova+Celica to a speedier mage with buffed MAG), and Echo let's you often re-allocate that to kill 2 targets per turn if they're within range, 4 with a handy dancer and unlucky opponents.

So Celica is good early game with Warp Ragnorak, then good late game when you get her back due to Nova (which you get shortly after you get back Celica).

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but the usefulness of Nova is going to naturally be limited if it's only obtainable at the end of chapter 23. I guess that there are some double kill setups without Nova too, but unless it's consistent (granted I can see it being consistent potentially; I've only played maddening once and haven't done a lot of experimentation) I would find a lot of the emblems that buffs physical damage to be more useful relatively speaking.

If you're going to take into account inheritance with Sigurd, I think Lucina should go up a tier or two for Dual Assist, since it's basically an auto-pick for any backup units by default and is primarily what enables chain attack abuse.

Byleth being able to give Rally Spectrum when on dragons alone puts him in top tier for me. The dance is already good enough, Rally Spectrum is just busted.

Micaiah's AOE staff uses and being able to provide additional hitrate with Staff Mastery is like unmatched utility as well. Even if she can't always be engaged, it's not like you need 100% uptime on it to begin with. Just pick and choose the times for it carefully. AOE silence, freeze, entrap, and rewarp really saved my ass a lot in late-game Maddening when nothing else could have done the same thing.

Roy is a stat stick that gives a fuckton of Strength, Hold Out, and a 1-2 range weapon with good stats and +5 Def/Res. He's a very simple unit with a mediocre engage skill, yes, but his ability to salvage strength-screwed units, access to holdout and Binding Blade make him a bit higher than bottom tier for me.

Celica being high seems odd to me, since Seraphim even in late-game I've found doesn't really do much for me? The strongest mages that can use it usually have to one-shot anything that can counter and Maddening likes to throw Tomahawks and Spears on a lot of units. Sieglinde does a better job of murdering Corrupted in my experience since being engaged means you have Solar Brace and recover health on hit, and by virtue of her being on a physical unit, they'll almost always have significantly higher bulk than your mages.

My tier list with inheritance included is something like

S: Corrin > Lyn > Micaiah > Byleth

A: Sigurd > Ike > Lucina

B: Eirika > Marth > Roy

C: Celica > Leif

Edited by meltenvy

Out of the non-dlc ones, I'd say Byleth, Micaiah and Eirika are the best personally. The first two just give really useful utility to move a large group across the map, while the last one adding true damage when engaged makes it really easy to take down some of Maddenings beefiest enemies. Eclipse Brace and Bravery combined with poison stacks and other sources of true damage can ORKO all the late-game bosses in particular if set up right, without demanding much of your unit's stats.

From what I'm reading, I'd say Eirika is pretty underrated.

Lyn, Corrin and Sigurd follow after that for me.

Lyn speed is great to have, although Speedtaker does require some setup to really steamroll in Maddening. That is a small but notable issue I have with it. Clones are pretty good as baits as well as far as utility is concerned.

Corrin's veins are fairly useful, imo Fog and Fire are the best ones; Fog because of the avoid boost should be self-explanatory, but both that and Fire are great for laneblocking too. Fire in addition can help deal damage to your own units, which is pretty useful at setting up Vantage + Wrath if running that. Draconic Hex on a mystic with a Thunder tome or a Thief with knives also synergizes well, either for more range to apply the debuff, or for poison to stack on top of the hex too. You can choose to either use a Vein or apply the debuff, unfortunately not both though, unless you spend your dance on that unit.

Sigurd lets any unit move really far, but just one unit. You can achieve similar results moving a large group with the first two emblems I mentioned. Still, his defensive bonuses are pretty useful to have on tanky units, who can naturally afford to move farther in more than others.

Beyond that, I think it gets more murky. I think Leif is probably the worst one, just for switching so much to Master Lance or Lightbrand at higher bond levels when you have better weapons you'd prefer to switch to instead... but even he can provide valuable Build+ bonuses to units that really want them like Timerra, or just stick him in a Warrior crit-build with low bond level (think a unit like Panette with both Killer Axe and Killer Bow). You technically can keep the bond level below level 10 if you just never view the bond event.

If I had to make a list of the non-DLC ones without spoilers:

- Byleth, Micaiah, Eirika
- Lyn, Corrin, Sigurd
B - Ike, Lucina, Roy, Celica, Marth
- Leif

Edited by DaveCozy
notes on Corrin, added notes on Leif and quick list

After competition of 2 runs on maddening (1 rng level ups 1 without) here is my opinion.

S Tier Marth Ike and Corrin.

A Erika Sigurd Michiah

B everyone else

Each emblem has a use and in some cases they are very strong in specific scenarios. That being said the ones I listed above I found to be most useful for me.

Dlc wise 3 houses kids are for sure S tier. The skills they provide are just bonkers. Tiki is okay, but I didn't use her much on my 2nd run. Hector is good. Camilla is good in specific set ups(like paired with magic knights wolf knights or with dragon units)

4 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

Corrin's veins are fairly useful, imo Fog and Fire are the best ones; Fog because of the avoid boost should be self-explanatory, but both that and Fire are great for laneblocking too. Fire in addition can help deal damage to your own units, which is pretty useful at setting up Vantage + Wrath if running that. Draconic Hex on a mystic with a Thunder tome or a Thief with knives also synergizes well, either for more range to apply the debuff, or for poison to stack on top of the hex too. You can choose to either use a Vein or apply the debuff, unfortunately not both though, unless you spend your dance on that unit.

Fire can damage your own units? I thought it disappeared at the start of player phase before any damage was applied. Then again I know Succor doesn't work that way, so I guess I just assumed that and never actually tried it.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:50 PM, Jotari said:

Fire can damage your own units? I thought it disappeared at the start of player phase before any damage was applied. Then again I know Succor doesn't work that way, so I guess I just assumed that and never actually tried it.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure fire damage applied right before it disappeared. Maybe I'm getting confused with ch17 terrain though. Will have to double check.

Edit: okay I just got around to testing and I can confirm it works the way I thought it did.

Order after casting fire dragon vein is: fire damage on enemies -> Enemies do their actions -> your own units take fire damage if applicable -> fire disappears and it's your turn

Edited by DaveCozy
Confirmed fire damage

TKQ1ykmwQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

No real ordering.

Corrin is borderline S, I think Marth / Lucina / Celica are borderline A. I think Roy is probably better than I put him in (he is not the worst, just he is a statstick). He's probably B for real. Sigurd might be S after seeing some things.

Still could be swayed either way but Byleth / Micaiah are definitely the best rings, the latter I predicted would happen lol.

Edited by Colonel M

Erika's ranking I think is probably more dependent on if you're playing Maddening. On Hard I felt she didn't make too much of a difference whereas on Maddening I think she really shines with the stat inflation  

I also think Roy is a bit underrated depending on how much you value that flat +6 str the ring give and Hold Out is really expensive to buy

Micaiah is probably on a league of her own. I think what often gets over looked (because of her busted Engage Skills and she gets given to Hortensia who already has S rank staves) is the Ring's ability to give A Rank staves to anyone.  You can put it on a unit that doesn't naturally have staves or to use it boost a class with a low C staff rank. She's pretty much insurance for the player to access high rank Staves lategame if anything happens.

10 hours ago, ruruo said:

Erika's ranking I think is probably more dependent on if you're playing Maddening. On Hard I felt she didn't make too much of a difference whereas on Maddening I think she really shines with the stat inflation  

I feel Eirika's ranking also changes significantly with point in the game (speaking from the perspective of a Maddening player). Eirika at base isn't super-potent, of course a slight stat boost is nice but aside from killing wyrms dead she didn't really do enough to massively impact the performance of that unit or (see: Corrin, Lyn, even Ike) or how you're able to proceed in battles (see: Micaiah, Byleth). But the later you get the more damage "ignore part of defence" adds, the bigger the stat boosts get, and of course Sieglinde is just an incredibly good weapon against corrupted. Early Eirika feels comparable to Marth/Roy to me (that is, she obviously improves existing combat performance, but it's not a massive change), but the further you get the more she pulls ahead and into higher tiers.

10 hours ago, ruruo said:

I also think Roy is a bit underrated depending on how much you value that flat +6 str the ring give and Hold Out is really expensive to buy

+6 str is certainly nice and it says more about how good other emblems are that Roy tends to be in the bottom ~4.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I feel Eirika's ranking also changes significantly with point in the game (speaking from the perspective of a Maddening player). Eirika at base isn't super-potent, of course a slight stat boost is nice but aside from killing wyrms dead she didn't really do enough to massively impact the performance of that unit or (see: Corrin, Lyn, even Ike) or how you're able to proceed in battles (see: Micaiah, Byleth). But the later you get the more damage "ignore part of defence" adds, the bigger the stat boosts get, and of course Sieglinde is just an incredibly good weapon against corrupted. Early Eirika feels comparable to Marth/Roy to me (that is, she obviously improves existing combat performance, but it's not a massive change), but the further you get the more she pulls ahead and into higher tiers.

+6 str is certainly nice and it says more about how good other emblems are that Roy tends to be in the bottom ~4.

Eirika also gets a strange and unique boost in post game. As she passively upgrades Luna Brace to all active units. This is great in theory as Luna Brace is a great skill and adding healing to it is appreciated...but in practice it's way too expensive to put on half your army until you start doing lv50 tempest trials and start getting more sp books than you know what to do with.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah, the problem with rating emblems is they are all pretty good, except maybe Leif. Even Leif is a really good stat boost on build if you feel it's lacking on a unit (so...worse than a speed boost from Marth or Lyn, but Marth has availability problems and Lyn is in high demand).

I guess I can take a whack at a list now:

S) Corrin, Micaiah, Byleth

A+) Lyn

A) Ike, Eirika, Lucina

B) Sigurd, Celica, Marth, Roy

B-) Leif

I'm conflicted between the top 2. I think Micaiah has the most potential to break the game with AoE staves, but Corrin does not depend on weapon durability and is more spammable. Demoting Byleth a little bit because Goddess Dance is amazing but only usable once per engage while AoE staves and Dreadful Aura are there the entire engage and can be danced.

Ike maybe belongs alongside Lyn for how much bulk he provides and bringing Wrath to the table. I'm just thinking that offensive speed is more useful than defense tanking since that speed also gives avoid and Lyn has defensive utility with her clones. Vantage/Wrath is great, but has the problem that it's quite expensive if you also go for Pair-Up.

I rate Lucina higher than most because I really like those dagger chain attacks.

I rate Sigurd lower than most probably because I'm thinking about bonuses from equipping the ring rather than what can be inherited.

Roy gets a tier higher than most thanks to his strength boost.

Leif is the worst because switching around the weapons is a weird mechanic to play around. Note, my worst emblem is one that gives the other half of Vantage/Wrath, so really none of the emblems are bad—I even grade inflated my tiers to reflect that.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:32 AM, FashionEmblem said:

I'm conflicted between the top 2. I think Micaiah has the most potential to break the game with AoE staves, but Corrin does not depend on weapon durability and is more spammable. Demoting Byleth a little bit because Goddess Dance is amazing but only usable once per engage while AoE staves and Dreadful Aura are there the entire engage and can be danced.

Corrin's place on a tier list really depends on the context of the playthrough. A lot of people tend to hoard staves on their first playthrough, not as many people are inclined to cheese, and Divine Pulse+ (and Hortensia probably) is required to make Freeze nearly as effective as Dreadful Aura. Corrin is also much better if the player doesn't have the tools to deal with every single enemy immediately, but if the player has better offensive options it might rarely be necessary. That's all to say that Corrin's Dreadful Aura skill becomes less useful and diverse compared to Micaiah's kit as the player becomes more familiar with the game. Byleth is in a similar vein, but it's more of an uphill battle if we don't include cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

Proc skills are per hit/target.

Timerra's Sandstorm can actually one-shot enemies with Great Aether, since her Def*1.5 with Ike is so high. Alcryst I think would probably be a better fit for Lyn/Marth since Luna won't allow one-shots normally, but it might push Lodestar Rush or Astra Storm over the edge and the probability of that happening is quite high.

I'll take a crack at it too. This is from my experience playing on maddening. Haven't done DLC, so can't comment on them yet.

S: Corrin, Lyn:

Corrin: Dreadful Aura is ridiculously strong. You can use it to lock down entire squads of enemies, you have no idea how many times this ability has saved me in my playthrough. The thing that's so busted about it is that the attack doesn't even have to connect in order for it to freeze them out. This combined with draconic hex also lets you stop what would be extremely scary bosses dead in their tracks. It lets you safely chip away at them from range over multiple turns until they die. O Quality Time+ is actually a very good skill, and I had a couple of units inherit it. Staves in this game wear out quickly and cost money, which is a pretty precious resource, so having repeatable free healing is amazing. This is compounded by the healing dragon vein from flying units (I had her on Ivy) which can really do some work. Also, corrin is really easy to level bond with, since the dragon vein gives a good amount of bond xp and using it si free, so if you just spam it whenever the character has a free action, or delay finishing a map and just keep spamming it, you can get to max bond very quickly.

Lyn: Speedtaker + alacrity is incredibly busted. the ability to do all of your attacks before the enemy counterattacks is  really good. Mulagir is also a very good engage weapon, and a unit being able to become a bow user when needed is very useful, since when you need anti-air in this game, you ususally need a lot of it at once. Astra storm is also great because you can kill things with it before they become a threat, or can pick off theives from afar to get chest items without hassle. additionally, her inheritable + speed skills are pretty inexpensive in terms of SP for how good they are.

A: Byleth, Eirica, Micaiah

Byleth: Goddes dance is a really powerful ability, getting 4 more actions lets you really get out of tough places. Especially, this combined with Canter on seadall lets you make the same unit act 4 times in a turn, which can be a true godsend. The rally ability is good as well, but I find often it's a wash between the buff being better or just attacking with the byleth user to gain another attacking unit. That said, having the option is nice.

Eirica: since lunar brace adds a lot of damage and bypasses defence, it's a very useful skill for making a powerhouse. Also the fact that if you can manage to get it or gentility on other units, they also get buffed when you engage is nice. Twin strike is a very good raw damage attack as well. The main thing about Eirica that puts her in A tier to me is the Sieglinde though. you fight a LOT of corrupted enemies in this game, particularly towards the end, and this is an inherently strong weapon that is also effective against them, where there aren't many other effective corrupted weapons. Twin strike with the Sieglinde is one of the only consistent ways of killing those damn corrupted wymrs without taking damage on the backswing.

Micaiah: she would be squarely B tier (for nice things like gaining staff use, improving staff range, great sacrifice, etc.) if it weren't for the fact that staff AOE + 1 applies to things like warp and rescue. being able to send multi-man warp balls across the map is really useful.

B: Marth, Lucina, Sigurd

Marth: his engage weapons are really strong, and lodestar rush does a LOT of damage. possibly somewhat overlooked is the fact that mercurius gives double XP. if you rack up a bunch of kills with it you can level someone very fast with it. He's pretty straightforward but he's useful.

Lucina: Lucina greases the wheels in a lot of ways. the long range backup strike is nice, and probably was helpful, but I didn't really plan around it and often forgot about it. But turning a non-backup unit into a backup unit is some good passive stuff as well. I found her engage attack to be not that strong, but hey, it's an attack that always hits and the opponent can't counterattack, so it's useful. Giving the parthia is good because, as I said before, when you need anti-air, you need a lot of it, so turning this on to get another bow user is useful. Bonded shield is a great ability for holding chokepoints.

Sigurd: The extra movement is extremely good, and Override I think is the best AOE attack in the game, but getting a really good setup for it is pretty situational. Canter is extremely useful, and it's great that it can be inherited.

: Roy, Celica, ike

Roy might be a better emblem that I had a hard time finding a home for. I like the fact that merely engaging with him gives a flat boost to your stats, though it's a bit hard to predict exactly what it's going to be. Giving up to + 6 strength bonus as a sync bonus is very welcome as well. Hold Out is easily his best skill, and if you get all the way to 20 with him, you can start to become a serious man tank.  Where I think he falls down a bit is his engage weapons aren't excellent, and I've rarely found a use for blazing lion. The damage isn't very high, and the geometry being useful is very situational, and often I find the fire hindering the movement of your units is a bigger problem for you than the enemy. One thing you can do that's pretty niche but kind of intersting is that if you are affected by freeze, you can still use the advance ability to move. I ended up putting him on alcryst but that was basically because all the other physical-focused units I was using had a better choice for an emblem.

Celica: warp ragnarok is very good, and echo is really useful for splitting targets or extra damage. Seraphim is also great since it's effective against the corrupted. Later in the game stronger tomes like forged thoron can do about as much damage against corrupted, but seraphim is lightweight and just as good. For more minor benefits it's nice to get the recover staff, to be able to heal without costing staff use (I spent a lot of money over the course of the game on healing staves).

Ike: Ike's a bit hard for me to evaluate, since in my playthough I kept him on the 'recommeded' character Timerra, who I think is just not very good, and not so good a match for ike. his ability to make you tank things is really nice, but his weapons are really heavy and crater your speed. Again on a unit with high build or already low speed it might be good, but idk. Great aether I was able to pull off pretty well a couple of times but i think it's very situational to be able to get the good multi hit big damage with it.

D: Leaf

Leaf: I think he's easily the worst emblem, which is sad because Thracia is my favorite FE game. his engage weapons are terrible, and quadruple strike rarely does much damage, often even worse than a normal attack. And his skills aren't very strong. You could probably build around vantage, but I haven't found it to be very useful practically . The best thing about him is that he gives the build, both inheritably and as an equip bonus. This  can patch up units that really need it, like lapis, chloe or timerra. I think you're supposed to like him for being able to give lots of weapon proficiencies, but it wasn't very helpful for me. Everything he gave I could get from someone else for some bond fragments, which are a resource that you're utterly swimming in in this game, unlike most others like money and SP, which the game is quite stingy with.

Edited by Galap

40 minutes ago, Galap said:

Astra storm is also great because you can kill things with it before they become a threat, or can pick off theives from afar to get chest items without hassle.

OR aggro bosses without aggroing anything else. Case in point: chapter 17. Facing a 12 move Zephia whilst worrying about the fact that almost the whole Elusian army is zerg rushing the shit out of me? Pass. On her own? Much more manageable.

45 minutes ago, Galap said:

Quality Time+ is actually a very good skill

I disagree; for how high a bond level you need to get it, Quality Time+ is, to put it bluntly, underwhelming.

I've only ever inherited Quality Time+ with Seadall. Mostly because I had no idea what else he could use besides Canter as a skill. 🤷‍♂️ It's expensive in Bond Fragments, but it's actually really cheap SP wise. Makes sense since 10HP recovered to adjacent allies at the end of your move really is pretty underwhelming, so it has to be cheap to inherit with SP too. Cost is fine imo. And uh what else is Seadall gonna do anyways besides dance?

Seadall is probably the only unit I would recommend inheriting Canter(+) and Quality Time+ with though. It just adds a little bit extra to Dance utility, without compromising his action to dance. Other units are better off spending SP on something like Reposition if what you're looking for is extra utility

Edited by DaveCozy

1 hour ago, DaveCozy said:

I've only ever inherited Quality Time+ with Seadall. Mostly because I had no idea what else he could use besides Canter as a skill.

Mentorship works if only to get Special Dance a little earlier and to avoid healing the Wrath/Vantage users.

I'm surprised to see roy so low cause imo he is really amazing and basically turns spd sword demons like Lapis and Kagetsu into fulll EP killers thanks to all the extra str they get and the sealed sword being a physical 1-2 range wep for them that is also decently strong. Which also makes it really nice cause it frees up lyn for other units to use for a emblem that no one is nearly as strong with.  Honestly just the fact that its basically lyn but the other way around makes me want to rate him much higher. Also hold out is super nice on maddening for avoid tanks cause it means even if you get unlucky they still make it out fine. 

Id also rate Marth higher if only cause aside from maybe sigurd he is the best early game emblem he frees up a lot of strategy's and still is fine later in the game once you get him back.

1 hour ago, DaveCozy said:

I've only ever inherited Quality Time+ with Seadall. Mostly because I had no idea what else he could use besides Canter as a skill. 🤷‍♂️ It's expensive in Bond Fragments, but it's actually really cheap SP wise. Makes sense since 10HP recovered to adjacent allies at the end of your move really is pretty underwhelming, so it has to be cheap to inherit with SP too. Cost is fine imo. And uh what else is Seadall gonna do anyways besides dance?

Seadall is probably the only unit I would recommend inheriting Canter(+) and Quality Time+ with though. It just adds a little bit extra to Dance utility, without compromising his action to dance. Other units are better off spending SP on something like Reposition if what you're looking for is extra utility

Since it doesn't take stats into account, you might as well give Seadall Dual Strike, if you're not outright giving him Lucina.

1 hour ago, samthedigital said:

Mentorship works if only to get Special Dance a little earlier and to avoid healing the Wrath/Vantage users.

Oh good idea, yeah that one is cheap too.

Not healing Wrath/Vantage is pretty easy as long Seadall has Canter honestly.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Since it doesn't take stats into account, you might as well give Seadall Dual Strike, if you're not outright giving him Lucina.

Dual Strike is not inheritable. And Dual Assist(+) only works if your unit can chain attack to begin with, so it is a waste to inherit it on anyone other than backup units.

3 hours ago, DaveCozy said:

Seadall is probably the only unit I would recommend inheriting Canter(+)

Really? I found Canter(+) an amazing skill on lots of units. At minimum, having it on a few people is extremely useful for optimum use of Goddess Dance.

1 hour ago, Skyteppelin said:

I'm surprised to see roy so low cause imo he is really amazing and basically turns spd sword demons like Lapis and Kagetsu into fulll EP killers thanks to all the extra str they get and the sealed sword being a physical 1-2 range wep for them that is also decently strong. Which also makes it really nice cause it frees up lyn for other units to use for a emblem that no one is nearly as strong with.  Honestly just the fact that its basically lyn but the other way around makes me want to rate him much higher. Also hold out is super nice on maddening for avoid tanks cause it means even if you get unlucky they still make it out fine. 

Id also rate Marth higher if only cause aside from maybe sigurd he is the best early game emblem he frees up a lot of strategy's and still is fine later in the game once you get him back.

Sigurd's much better IMO (move is, as always, the best stat, but on top of that he gives a whole bunch of power via Momentum). I actually thought Marth was one of the weakest earlygame emblems myself, but maybe that's because I kept him on Alear who I found pretty unimpressive early.

Roy's solid but I definitely don't think he's nearly as good as Lyn. Thanks to Speedtaker Lyn just gives far more speed than Roy gives strength (and speed is a more universally useful stat IMO). That said I think you're right about him on dodgetanks.

2 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Roy's solid but I definitely don't think he's nearly as good as Lyn. Thanks to Speedtaker Lyn just gives far more speed than Roy gives strength (and speed is a more universally useful stat IMO). That said I think you're right about him on dodgetanks.

When engaged on the right unit Roy can give units an appreciable amount of speed because of level +5. You'd still rather have Lyn, but Roy isn't a bad substitute.

20 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

Not healing Wrath/Vantage is pretty easy as long Seadall has Canter honestly.

Maybe, but it's just as easy to forget or end up in a situation where Seadall wants to end his action in an inconvenient place as it is for the skill to end up being beneficial. Is there any skill in the DLC that gives him anything?