What new kinds of FE spinoffs would you like to see?

46 minutes ago, Jotari said:

*Anna wants to trade!

+3 gold on all trade routes

46 minutes ago, Jotari said:

*Edelgard denounces you (too religious)

+5 combat strength vs civs with a religion

Corrin: Units can´t be killed. Use Dragon Veins to change the climate.

47 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Evolving technology wouldn't really be a thing if you were to keep it Fire Emblem authentic, but you could still cover more or less the same gameplay by just replacing that aesthetic with weapon ranks.

you could still have bronze-iron-steel, shipbuilding, flying tech would be the pegasus/wyverns/griffons/kinshi, maybe tech regarding more advanced ways of building, magic could be it´s own part of the tree, sieging equipment etc.

7 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Fire Emblem farming simulator. Take the TH monastery, add a field and boom, farm game.

This idea keeps popping into my head, of an SRPG-farming sim hybrid, but I've never successfully completed an outline of one. To the point I that I recently decided to count the number of NPCs of every Story of Seasons and Rune Factory game to get an idea of how large to make a roster for such a game (answer- somewhere between roughly 18 and 49).

Part of the reason it keeps showing up in my mind is because Fire Emblem has a medieval veneer. Agriculture is fundamental to the entire economic-social-political-military structure of the European Middle Ages. Geoffrey (to pick a random playable noble) can train to be a professional knight, because he has been given the privilege of collecting taxes in money or more commonly kind from farmers like Brom, in addition to being able to compel said peasants to labor on his own agricultural estate. Thus Geoffrey has the big income needed to afford expensive knightly equipment and the free time to practice his lancing and equestrian, while fellow aristocrat Bastian spends his time engaging in politics and governance. Monks might've worked some of their fields, but the prosperity of the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages also rested on land/agricultural tax revenues granted in perpetuam.

-I'm not saying I'd want to replicate this entire structure, not at all. All I am saying is that thinking on this reality that agriculture underlay Medieval society (outside of the merchants, tradesmen, sailors/fishermen, and miners I suppose) makes me want an FE farming sim.

Although one of my struggles with it, is that farming sims are supposed to be chill. Yes the earliest Story of Seasons games did have a deadline where your farm would get evaluated, but playing at your own pace has become the norm. The issue here is the intersection of narrative and gameplay. If the next story SRPG battle is defending against a relentless assault from the invading Carnivore Empire, then it would be very weird being able to hold off on doing that battle until 43 days from now, if I were so inclined to take my time like that. It needs an enemy suited for this conundrum, probably something monstrous or otherwise nonstandard (and permadeath would be permakilled for this game).

And yes, while TMS (which I enjoyed) ditched SRPG battles for what it is, Fire Emblem retaining its fantasy-medieval aesthetic and yet not having SRPG battles seems like it wouldn't be distinctly FE enough. If it went over to say action RPG combat instead, might as well leave it to Marvelous and make it an official FE-Rune Factory crossover spinoff. -Whether or not retaining SRPG battles would make it "not actually an FE spinoff, just Three Houses 2.0", I haven't a clue about that, I never touched the monastery in 3H.😅 At the least, Farm Emblem could perhaps better integrate the two aspects, embracing the life sim side more and making it like feel less of an awkward addition than in 3H if that was a problem.

I mean, as far as the battle aspects would be concerned, SoV shows it could be done to combine SRPG battles with dungeon crawling.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although one of my struggles with it, is that farming sims are supposed to be chill. Yes the earliest Story of Seasons games did have a deadline where your farm would get evaluated, but playing at your own pace has become the norm. The issue here is the intersection of narrative and gameplay. If the next story SRPG battle is defending against a relentless assault from the invading Carnivore Empire, then it would be very weird being able to hold off on doing that battle until 43 days from now, if I were so inclined to take my time like that. It needs an enemy suited for this conundrum, probably something monstrous or otherwise nonstandard (and permadeath would be permakilled for this game).

the enemy is fought offscreen, you are just the steady(-ly increasing) economic support behind it. do well get titles, land, marry the lords kid, get a fancy horse,, mining , forestry and hunting rights, coinage if you do real well and whatever else there can be for reward in a medieval setting; do badly and you find yourself... under new management, perhaps less amicable management?

once you get the good stuff, like horses, weapons or any of the like, your liege may call you to war ( maybe start the game as a Wehrbauer (the 15th-19th century version, not the ns one)) and your character gets to participate as a unit in a sense of pushing out the frontier, under the control of the lord whose control you assume for the sake of not being subject to stupid ai. or just as the leader of a lovcal farmer guerilla. ofc, having your guy distinguish themself will lead to better reward.

alternatively, having read some of goldmarys extremely flat bond convos, bath/hotel manager *cringes*

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 5:11 PM, 𝐉𝐨𝐬𝐡 said:

A persona/fire emblem crossover would be cool, a fire emblem game with persona's gameplay or a persona game with fire emblem gameplay (if that can somehow work)

I think Persona 5 Tactica scratches this itch, but even before that I thought it would be a nice change of pace to have a much smaller cast in a Fire Emblem game with more emphasis on character development. In exchange for the smaller roster the characters wouldn't die, just get injured (debuffed) if defeated in battle. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this!

But as a lot of you have said, a non-combat oriented game with the existing cast could be really fun too! I especially like the Disneyland idea!

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I think Persona 5 Tactica scratches this itch, but even before that I thought it would be a nice change of pace to have a much smaller cast in a Fire Emblem game with more emphasis on character development. In exchange for the smaller roster the characters wouldn't die, just get injured (debuffed) if defeated in battle. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of this!

But as a lot of you have said, a non-combat oriented game with the existing cast could be really fun too! I especially like the Disneyland idea!

I was pretty excited for Tactica at first, but then I saw its art style and eh.... I'm not really digging it. I can't imagine myself purchasing it, and that Xbox showcase was such an absolute triumph that I can't see myself having free Gamepass time not spent on something else.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:55 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

I was pretty excited for Tactica at first, but then I saw its art style and eh.... I'm not really digging it.

That's a shame, but I suppose the style isn't for everyone. I want to get it personally, but I'm given pause because of...

22 hours ago, 𝐉𝐨𝐬𝐡 said:

Sucks that there's day one dlc though...but that's just Atlus being Atlus so it isn't too surprising. 

If anything they're getting even worse about DLC. I'm... kinda relieved that the Kasumi & Akechi DLC doesn't have story content but it's still infuriating to put so much content behind an extra paywall - with most of it being exclusive to the digital deluxe edition at that!

I think Persona 3 Reload is worse though. I refuse to believe they didn't have the time or manpower to also include The Answer or FeMC because we all know they're going to be DLC instead, or part of a "P3R Royal" re-release down the line.

---

But to get back on topic, I am curious how that cancelled real-time strategy game would have played, so maybe IS could revisit the idea?

Or heck, even if it risks being a repeat of P5T, a FE game with a smaller cast and no perma-death to compensate for the limited manpower (so that we can get a more story-driven story) could be fun to see!

And for my third choice, as controversial as it'll be, a Let's Go style game for Fire Emblem, i.e. a simpler console game using mechanics inspired by FEH. For example, smaller maps and movement ranges than normal, crits replaced for specials on timers, maybe locking everyone to one weapon at a time (though that may be going too far) and so on.

If nothing else I think it'd be a good excuse to get the Heroes cast onto the Switch/ Switch 2 if IS wants to do more with them. At this point they've almost completely rebuilt the Norse mythos as FE settings, it'd be nice to do more with it than what FEH alone does.

Edited by DefyingFates

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

That's a shame, but I suppose the style isn't for everyone. I want to get it personally, but I'm given pause because of...

If anything they're getting even worse about DLC. I'm... kinda relieved that the Kasumi & Akechi DLC doesn't have story content but it's still infuriating to put so much content behind an extra paywall - with most of it being exclusive to the digital deluxe edition at that!

I think Persona 3 Reload is worse though. I refuse to believe they didn't have the time or manpower to also include The Answer or FeMC because we all know they're going to be DLC instead, or part of a "P3R Royal" re-release down the line.

---

But to get back on topic, I am curious how that cancelled real-time strategy game would have played, so maybe IS could revisit the idea?

Or heck, even if it risks being a repeat of P5T, a FE game with a smaller cast and no perma-death to compensate for the limited manpower (so that we can get a more story-driven story) could be fun to see!

And for my third choice, as controversial as it'll be, a Let's Go style game for Fire Emblem, i.e. a simpler console game using mechanics inspired by FEH. For example, smaller maps and movement ranges than normal, crits replaced for specials on timers, maybe locking everyone to one weapon at a time (though that may be going too far) and so on.

If nothing else I think it'd be a good excuse to get the Heroes cast onto the Switch/ Switch 2 if IS wants to do more with them. At this point they've almost completely rebuilt the Norse mythos as FE settings, it'd be nice to do more with it than what FEH alone does.

Yeah, I jumped on the Atlus train hard, but I'm pretty new to the ride, so I was actually caught off guard by the dlc. I almost don't want to play P6 on release when it comes out, because I just know it'll get a better version with no upgrade path, and no option to skip to the new parts if you do buy it.

I am waiting to see more of P5 Tactica in action before deciding if I wanna play it. DLC isn`t a big concern of mine, since it won`t be bought unless I like the game as-is.

A FE spin-off focusing on a smaller cast and lacking permadeath is an idea that could be neat to explore.

7 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yeah, I jumped on the Atlus train hard, but I'm pretty new to the ride, so I was actually caught off guard by the dlc.

Now I'm curious when you got on the train! I've only been on it for a few years myself.

1 hour ago, Metal Flash said:

I am waiting to see more of P5 Tactica in action before deciding if I wanna play it. DLC isn`t a big concern of mine, since it won`t be bought unless I like the game as-is.

A FE spin-off focusing on a smaller cast and lacking permadeath is an idea that could be neat to explore.

The stuff in bold is a valid point, but it's still frustrating when a $60 game launches with $30-40 worth of Day One DLC.

As for the FE part, I'm happy you feel the same way! I'm happy to not be alone! xD

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Now I'm curious when you got on the train! I've only been on it for a few years myself.

The stuff in bold is a valid point, but it's still frustrating when a $60 game launches with $30-40 worth of Day One DLC.

As for the FE part, I'm happy you feel the same way! I'm happy to not be alone! xD

I got on the train with vanilla P5 and have since also played Strikers, TMS, 13 Sentinels, and SMTV. Currently most of the way through Royal, and I intend to tackle Soul Hackers 2 and P4G before P3R and Metaphor come out. That isn't to say I'm interested in everything (Etrian Odyssey doesn't look good to me, and especially not at asking price), but most of it I'm up for.

Anyway, on the note of weird potential FE spinoffs, something like Yakuza could be really fun. Specifically with a character like Balthus. Go around getting in fights, boozing, gambling, and tackling all kinds of crazy sidequests for money.

9 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Oh absolutely, it definitely reeks of "we could just include this stuff in the game as is, buuuut we want that money so, have it at extra cost". 

On 6/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Currently most of the way through Royal, and I intend to tackle Soul Hackers 2 and P4G before P3R and Metaphor come out.

Ooh, as absurd as Atlus is as a company, the new stuff added in Royal is simply amazing and I can't wait for you to see it!

20 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Oh absolutely, it definitely reeks of "we could just include this stuff in the game as is, buuuut we want that money so, have it at extra cost". 

Yeah... at least IS isn't that bad. Yet, at least.

On 6/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Anyway, on the note of weird potential FE spinoffs, something like Yakuza could be really fun. Specifically with a character like Balthus. Go around getting in fights, boozing, gambling, and tackling all kinds of crazy sidequests for money.

The more I think of it, if you dressed it up with FE's tropes this may actually be a fun take on its conventions. Of course if the emphasis is on getting into fights and making money it'd probably be better off with this as a freebie VN spin-off like The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog~

I'd like to see them make it into some kind of a roguelike campaign. Doesn't have to be the main focus but something like a 10 chapter randomly generated campaign focused around permadeath might be fun. Don't know what kind of units maps or weapons you'll get. 

Just do super Mario or something for the story. Princess is captured at castle whatever by some dragon qyou gotta fight your way there. 

• 4 weeks later...

So for a Fire Emblem Diablo-like, I'm imagining a character creation system like Awakening/Fates, for characters divided into some core, iconic classes.

Fighter

The Barbarian of traditional Diablo. Encompasses the myrmidon, soldier, and fighter classes, and can promote into a Hero, Knight, or Berserker. All of which can use all 3 normal weapons. The Hero is more of an all-rounder, the Knight is more of a tank with slow, heavy hits, and the Berserker is a glass cannon.

Rogue

Encompasses the archer and thief, and promotes to either an Assassin, Trickster, or Ranger. The Assassin is more mobile, evasive, and glass cannon. The Trickster mixes in support and magic. The Ranger is more of a normal archer and close range medium fighter.

Mage

Encompasses anima and dark, and promotes to Sage, Mage Knight, or Druid. The Sage is a fragile but versatile spell caster. The Mage Knight focuses on magic and melee tanking. The Druid is a dark magic/nature all rounder, and can even transform into beasts.

Priest

Encompasses light magic and melee weapons, promoting into either a Saint, Monk, or Holy Knight. The Saint is the spellcaster with heavy support capabilities. The Monk is an all-round melee, support, and holy smiter with quick strikes and evasion. The Holy Knight is a traditional Diablo Paladin/Crusader.

Rider

Encompasses cavalier, pegasus knight, and wyvern rider. Each gets their own skill tree. Promoting into Paladin, Wyvern Lord, and Falcon Knight. These classes are all really mobile, but come with more weaknesses. The horse riders are more rounded, while the wyvern riders are slower and more durable and the pegasus knights are quicker and more evasive.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier