Official Forging Bonds Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

9 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Yeah, Ylgr wanted to go to the Order. As for the Nifl siblings' parents, both are dead. Nifl was mostly destroyed, so Hrid's been working hard to rebuild it. This FB basically confirmed everything I've been saying every time I read someone asking what happened to Hrid.

Also, sorry to say it, but I forgot how creepy Hrid's smile is. It just looks wider than his face is actually supporting.

The extra bit of Henriette x Gustav lore was adorable too, as always. They're a sweet canon couple. 🙂 I wonder if we'll learn more about Henriette's past in Book 8...

Ah, so their father is dead too, then? I don't remember they mentioning it (tbf I last played book II like in 2019), I was under the impression that their father was rulling now while Hríd lived at Nifl, ocasionally going around to rebuild it. But it makes sense, he's the ruler then and is going around to rebuild his own kingdom (and probably was not crowned because... well, his kingdom is ruined).

Hard agree on Hríd's smile too, seems like his annoying aunt said a horrible joke at the family gather and he forced a smile to her so his mom wouldn't be angry at him later.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

3 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Ah, so their father is dead too, then? I don't remember they mentioning it (tbf I last played book II like in 2019), I was under the impression that their father was rulling now while Hríd lived at Nifl, ocasionally going around to rebuild it. But it makes sense, he's the ruler then and is going around to rebuild his own kingdom (and probably was not crowned because... well, his kingdom is ruined).

Hard agree on Hríd's smile too, seems like his annoying aunt said a horrible joke at the family gather and he forced a smile to her so his mom wouldn't be angry at him later.

XD Oh my gosh that's a hilarious take. (The 2nd bit, obviously. XD)

On 1/25/2024 at 9:32 AM, ARMADS!!! said:

Oh yeah, speaking of this. I wonder if Laevatein was crowned queen of Muspell during the whole year that Laegjarn was dead, or they have a mother alive?(in which case Laegjarn wouldn't be the queen now too) I don't think they ever mentioned who's Surtr wife ir if she's alive or whatever, did they?

I believe she it was explicitly mentioned she was taking the throne just after killing Surtr 

On 1/29/2024 at 3:15 AM, Midnox said:

I believe she it was explicitly mentioned she was taking the throne just after killing Surtr 

Oh, ok, thanks for confirming. I hope that Laegjarn didn't take the throne for Laevatein after coming back to life, it'd to good to Laevatein to be forced to think for herself and be independent.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:21 PM, ARMADS!!! said:

Oh, ok, thanks for confirming. I hope that Laegjarn didn't take the throne for Laevatein after coming back to life, it'd to good to Laevatein to be forced to think for herself and be independent.

Yes, Laevatein was crowned queen at the end of Book II, but in a recent Forging Bonds (don’t remember which), Laevatein visits Askr and it was mentioned there Laegjarn became queen

8 hours ago, Midnox said:

Yes, Laevatein was crowned queen at the end of Book II, but in a recent Forging Bonds (don’t remember which), Laevatein visits Askr and it was mentioned there Laegjarn became queen

Oh, ok! Thanks for updating me on the matter, I usually don't follow the Forging Bonds stories so I tend to miss the lore they drop there. Too bad, Laevatein staying as queen would have been nice.

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Oh, ok! Thanks for updating me on the matter, I usually don't follow the Forging Bonds stories so I tend to miss the lore they drop there. Too bad, Laevatein staying as queen would have been nice.

I agree, but on the other hand her defining trait was an inability to think for herself which makes her... the worst possible monarch for a country recovering from a war other than the one who put them in that mess to begin with, obviously.

21 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I agree, but on the other hand her defining trait was an inability to think for herself which makes her... the worst possible monarch for a country recovering from a war other than the one who put them in that mess to begin with, obviously.

But if she had stayed as queen with Laegjarn as her advisor at first (and then giving less and less advice) maybe she'd learn to think for herself eventually.

Although yeah, if that didn't work then the country would be screwed, guess that as good as it'd be for Laevatein to learn to think for herself would be, she'd probably be happy by just being at her sister's side. I wish they gave us some insight into what happened to her during that whole year that she was queen and her sister was dead.

40 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Eh, depends on which direction you look from. Like, with logic and sense, yes, that's going to be an absolutely terrible monarch, but from a character arc standpoint it's kind of a nice resolution to have the character start thinking for themselves by acting as a monarch. It's only bad with realism because real humans basically never character develop over the course of one night. That being said I can't for the life of me remember if Laevatein had even an attempt at a character arc to make that a resolution in itself, only things that I can still remember from Book 2's ending is Laegjarn burning alive and Fjorm sacrificing her long term health to get passed Surtr's double invincibility.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

That being said I can't for the life of me remember if Laevatein had even an attempt at a character arc to make that a resolution in itself, only things that I can still remember from Book 2's ending is Laegjarn burning alive and Fjorm sacrificing her long term health to get passed Surtr's double invincibility.

Laevatein does has the same amount of alts as characters like Alm and Sigurd, so she’s eaten good regardless.

Who needs a character arc or even a character at all when alts just drop onto your lap regardless?