To Become an Elitist [Playlogs FE1-5] [currently playing: Thracia 776]

ping

6 minutes ago, gnip said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Definitely an easy out if green units become too much of a pain, but I'll try to beat maps as Kaga intended before using that... bug? Feature?

There's only one more map where it matters.

I'll admit I use it, if only because I don't want to have to deal with green allies who can't be recruited until after the map. The Teehee run gave me all the evidence I needed that I am right in that decision.

7 minutes ago, gnip said:

Serenes doesn't have a calculations page for Echoes, so I don't know if it has been changed, but Gaiden seems to use the same formula as FE1, which is to say that crit rates are completely unmitigated. Low Luck only means that Kamui has lower crit rates himself, and that he's less likely to dodge incoming spells. I think his greater vulnerability against magic until Dread Fighter might be his biggest disadvantage compared to Saber, actually - 2 Res vs. 6 Res.

Keep forgetting that part, been years since I played Gaiden.

Low res won't matter much for DF, the +10 it gives will do a lot for anyone in the class even him.

7 minutes ago, gnip said:

Probably a storage space thing. A lot of enemy-only classes use some regular class's bases, like the Necrodragon being the same as a Falcoknight, so I guess some irrelevant class bases (since nobody can promote into Sister) just use the same array of numbers as an enemy type. Similarly, Female Mages share their base stats with Witches - more reasonable than Sister bases, of course, but it would leave a hypothetical Faye promoting into Mage leagues above the three boy's stats as Lv.1 Mages.

Oh it looks it, but I still wanted to point out the bases of some unpromoted classes were something alright (Let us promote them into those classes IS you cowards)

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's certainly a possibility. And the term used, "machote" could also be interpreted as just "tough guy" or something. Oh, well.

How often is machote used like that more recently? Because while I said when Gaiden came out, I can see how it's used when the patch was written as mattering too.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's still the bulk of act 2's maps, though, isn't it? What else is there? Palla and Catria's join map, which is the first map of the act, and then... The final map of the act, the storming of Mila Temple. Oof.

I believe you're leaving out the one with the Shadow Sword boss. That precedes the temple.

7 hours ago, gnip said:

It's not a large fraction based on number of maps, but considering how much time you're going to spend walking very slowly towards Sniper Man's fortress, it's a significant fraction of your time spent with this game.

True. I didn't mean to defend the sands when I said that.

I admit, having ugh! maps like the sands do make it feel like you're fencing at air, in a way. Since it doesn't feel like you've truly utilized your units with plenty good maps to use them on. And a game with a route split like Gaiden's does make it worse, since everyone is stuck with half the battles they would have if only the game had a single army.

52 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

How often is machote used like that more recently? Because while I said when Gaiden came out, I can see how it's used when the patch was written as mattering too.

Truth be told, I have no idea. It seemed to me like something a dude would use when they find another dude physically attractive, but that was just the vibe I got from the interaction. It could well just be me.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I believe you're leaving out the one with the Shadow Sword boss. That precedes the temple.

Indeed, I am leaving it out because... I do not remember it lol, what map's that?

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I admit, having ugh! maps like the sands do make it feel like you're fencing at air, in a way. Since it doesn't feel like you've truly utilized your units with plenty good maps to use them on. And a game with a route split like Gaiden's does make it worse, since everyone is stuck with half the battles they would have if only the game had a single army.

Yeah, that's a feeling I can relate to.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Indeed, I am leaving it out because... I do not remember it lol, what map's that?

IIRC, it's mirrored-C shaped, roughly. In that north and south plains curve to the right around mountains in the middle.

The reason I still remember the map is likely owed to the fact it was recycled for one of the Cipher DLC battles. Had to get Randal and that lance with Solo Triangle Attack.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

IIRC, it's mirrored-C shaped, roughly. In that north and south plains curve to the right around mountains in the middle.

The reason I still remember the map is likely owed to the fact it was recycled for one of the Cipher DLC battles. Had to get Randal and that lance with Solo Triangle Attack.

I...

...Oohhh okay. I still struggle to remember it, but I've found it at least. It's the one with the boss who shares Deen's portrait. Funnily enough, he's also the one that got to keep the design, whereas Deen got a new one.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Truth be told, I have no idea. It seemed to me like something a dude would use when they find another dude physically attractive, but that was just the vibe I got from the interaction. It could well just be me.

Fair enough, I'd like to hear the translator's process on that myself.

...Oohhh okay. I still struggle to remember it, but I've found it at least. It's the one with the boss who shares Deen's portrait. Funnily enough, he's also the one that got to keep the design, whereas Deen got a new one.

It's also the copy of the first Leather Shield Merc's map on Celica's side.

Blake/the true Deen is scary too, if for different reasons. :P

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's not THAT MUCH sand

Bro getting hallucinations from all that desert.

9 hours ago, gnip said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Definitely an easy out if green units become too much of a pain, but I'll try to beat maps as Kaga intended before using that... bug? Feature?

Please don't take the Todd route Kaga.

9 hours ago, gnip said:

I don't have to take this from somebody who probably thinks Stockholm is the capital of Switzerland.

This is America. We're known to make people take shit from people who can't recognize the manipulation of the two party system. Unlucky.

9 hours ago, gnip said:

What can I say, I haven't been jaded by Awakening, since I haven't played it. All I know is that choices in New Mystery's prologue are hugely impactful on how easy it is to get through it.

Poor Godrin. Nobody chooses him.

9 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Not all bosses move.

Like Kant, R. here, he doesn't. None of the cantors move, because fuck you (even if there are cantors not on healtiles, they're still behind who knows how many enemies).

I meant modern FE. Engage mainly. 3 Houses also does moving bosses (usually) on maddening at least, but it's 3 Houses. Get hunter's volley'd bozo.

At least I don't have to deal with 50 hit in that game.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Silly. Reptiles don't have beards.

I'm pretty sure the government would find a way to give you guys beard with the money they make reserving cures for terminal diseases from the common folk.

Eh not really, KagaSaga's boss design isn't really anything fascinating, for the most part.

Kaga...bad?

Your mind: "Hmm, I wonder whether any homosexual implications were conjured during the original conception, and the degree of which fanslators would take said possibility into account back then"

My mind: "Haha, gay sex funny."

We are not the same.

11 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I'm pretty sure the government would find a way to give you guys beard with the money they make reserving cures for terminal diseases from the common folk.

I keep telling them to, but they won't, the jerks.

10 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Your mind: "Hmm, I wonder whether any homosexual implications were conjured during the original conception, and the degree of which fanslators would take said possibility into account back then"

My mind: "Haha, gay sex funny."

We are not the same.

https://youtu.be/fqyjOc3EpT4

FE2 Chapter 2: Celica's Leave

Sea Shrine --> Sofia Castle

Spoiler

jWWiO1b.png

Skill has been requested, with the average request being 1 point to Valbo and 2 to Leo. The next two maps - the last in chapter 2 - each highlight one of the two's strengths, so it's rather thematic.

wgsvrjH.png__WFrOJm1.png

The first of them has a variety of physical enemies, all of which hit Valbo for just a single point of damage. Two of them are Archers, so they're able to shoot past a point-choking Valbo, but he still shuts down this fight very effectively.

avX3k6M.png__Y5KzQQf.png

However, it's Celica who find initial success, one-rounding an Archer who is forced to attack from 2 range because he moves before the Pirates, then critting two of the Pirates and leaving a third one at 4 HP.

vsocjTK.png__Gw5FMTB.png__CBinlya.png

She does take a bit of while front-lining, some of which because she used Seraphim to chip that Merc down more reliably so that Boey could finish him from 3 range, so Valbo starts a-tankin' on turn 3.

bNrGKl4.png__43xwDpR.png

He is rewarded with a Spd proc on his first level, which allows us the rare sight of the "Valbo finishes" message (outside of fighting Zombies).

AwRlPN6.png__lwWQBAB.png

But yeah, pretty easy map. Kamui comes in to grab some XP, too (he gets doubled, but only for 2x2 damage).

JFUFXZA.png

The final map is... a bit stupid, but in an interesting way. Six enemy Wizards, all with Dora (i.e. Fire reskin) and Recover, which can sometimes lead to silly circlehealing when one Wizard heals the 1 HP the previous Wizard spent on healing the previous previous Wizard.

JQhOmkg.png

This one, I assume, is the map to teach you that Archers outrange Mages (conditions may apply). Leo is quite good here because he can hit them relatively hard (if he hits, that is) without taking damage in return.

ag6GvhH.png

What makes this map a bit silly is that you get two characters that can tank these mages virtually, if not literally (if you give them passive healing), forever. Both Jenny and Mae take a single point of damage from them, although only Mae can hit them back doing reasonable damage herself.

SMAbJrP.png__sXL8Dh4.png

Everybody else has to be very careful about where to go and who to attack. Kamui managed to snag a kill, but required Jenny to heal AND body-block for him in order to survive the following enemy phase.

qlnTabV.png

As a result, the map is a bit of a slow process at first, but Leo and Celica coming in for the flank speeded it up for me.

A bit surprising was that the Wizards insisted on attacking Jenny over and over again. I guess they valued taking only 2x1 damage more valuable than dealing more than a single point of damage.

5Nw3k5u.png

The result is a map that isn't terribly difficult, but can punish missteps very quickly, given how vulnerable some of your units are against magic. Not Boey, his Res is decent, I just wanted to show this fight...

yZIOou7.png

...because he gained another point of Spd at the end of it. I think we can conclude that sailing is good for your speed strength.

2qygNpS.png

And with that, we've fought through chapter 2. Only thing left is to go through some dialogue, starting with two old acquaintances: Palla (the green-haired girl with blue hair) and Catria (the blue-haired girl with pink hair). If Est's map sprite doesn't have green hair, I quit.

4jWmnHE.png: "We came from Archanea, a continent to the east."

2NsXikD.png: "Our little sister was taken by pirates. We gave chase, but lost them around here."

I'm sure they can handle it on their own.

83893xJ.png__kubAj4U.png

Finally, Celica arrives at Sofia Castle. Not a whole lot of new information from the NPCs here, except that people are mostly pretty hyped about Alm, but still worried about Rigel potentially invading.

SRqMBrr.png__xNjPKbg.png

This one got me thinking about the upcoming dialogue between Alm and Celica, though. But before we get to that, I cannot skip the Great ẞ:

M9X0zmh.png__FCF8b2z.png

i81gQij.png: "Well, for many reasons..." I see you've arrived safely.

7ZKNT7y.png: "Yes, thanks to my allies. We're all going to Mila's temple.

i81gQij.png: "I see... Well, you might want to head upstairs first. You should find someone you've been wishing to meet."

7ZKNT7y.png: "It...it can't be! ...Alm? Sofia's liberator couldn't be Alm... could it?"

i81gQij.png: "Well, why don't you go see?"

svt7ht0.png__qV1mK51.png

7ZKNT7y.png: "Alm... So it really was you. I haven't seen you since I left the village..."

yyCntCs.png: "Yeah. We always used to play together. I held a serious grudge against Gramps the day you were sent away."

7ZKNT7y.png: "I was sad too, but Grandfather told me why he did it: 'If you stay in Ram, Dozer will come to kill you.'"

yyCntCs.png: "But why? Why would Dozer want to kill you, Celica?"

7ZKNT7y.png: "That... I'm sorry. I'd rather not say right now. In any case, Alm, I have a request. Can war be avoided with the Kingdom of Rigel?"

yyCntCs.png: "That's impossible. King Rudolf of Rigel decided to attack while Sofia is weak. At this rate, Sofia will be destroyed."

7ZKNT7y.png: "But aren't we all the same? We should be able to coexist."

yyCntCs.png: "There's no way. Sofians won't tolerate Rigel's barbaric rule. We must retaliate!"

7ZKNT7y.png: "How sad... I'm sure if we talked, we could come to an understanding. Unless, Alm, now that the Sofians call you their hero, you want to become their king as well?"

yyCntCs.png: "What! That's mean, Celica. I just want to protect the people of Sofia, that's all. Besides, Sofia's only remaining princess is still alive. I'm planning to search for her. After I find her, I'm returning to Ram."

7ZKNT7y.png: "That's not true! Sofia's royal family is gone! But I get it, Alm. You go ahead to Rigel. My companions and I are going to Mila's temple."

xZ95XMk.png

yyCntCs.png: "Celica!?"

7ZKNT7y.png: "Goodbye, Alm..."

So with that NPC earlier mentioning again how Mila's blessings have been vanishing the past years, I have to wonder why Celica doesn't really bring that up in this confrontation with Alm. Like, "It's too risky to attempt an invasion when we have no idea what's happening to Mila! You must stay your hand at least until we know our situation." As is, Celica's request comes across as "please don't resist the brutal invaders", which of course is rather topical right now, and makes her appear as "the unreasonable one" in this conflict. It's something that's bothered me since I've first seen Echoes' version of this scene.

4DHVJXB.png__Vvsi6gI.png

But enough of boring story talk. We're here to play anime chess.

The Team:

Lv.	   HP  Pow Def Skl Spd Lck Res  +XP   Item
Celica	7.99	   22   10*  5   7   7  11   7  +109  Holy Sw (+3 Atk, +10 hit, +15 crit)
Jenny	6.34	   20    8   3*  3   5   8  13  +105  Leather (+3 Def)
Boey	6.23	   23    8   5   2   9  10   7  +159  Holy Ring
May	3.94	   21   10   2   2   7   5  10  + 53

Saber	3.43	   23    9   5  10  10   6   6  + 26
Valbo	2.50	   30   14  12   6   3   1   0  + 51
Kamui	6.63	   24   10*  7   5  10*  2   2  + 91  Steel (4 Atk, -1 Spd)
Leo	5.93	   23   11   5   8   4   6   1  + 95
  • I already mentioned Boey gaining a second point of Spd, but I still want to mention it again.
  • Celica is about to get Thunder, and only one level away from Recover. Boey and May are both still pretty far away from their big nuke spells.

For Chapter 3, I think it's best to power through Celica's half first. Not only do we want to murder-warp Jesse to Alm, but I think we can also send over Catria's Angel Ring?

Also, since we're going to recruit Atlas pretty soon - I assume the Sea Shrine is the best way to magify him, right? Kamui and, most likely, Leo will be ready to promote by then, too, so a little detour is definitely worthwhile.

5 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

There's only one more map where it matters.

And it's about to come up, right? If memory serves, Palla and Catria are in the same category as Valbo's boys, in that they don't struggle too much surviving. Especially with Palla's 1-2 range and Catria's passive recovery.

2 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Godrin

Not sure if typo or official nickname

24 minutes ago, gnip said:

43xwDpR.png

He is rewarded with a Spd proc on his first level, which allows us the rare sight of the "Valbo finishes" message (outside of fighting Zombies).

I'm so proud of Balbo. He did it, he doubled. He balbled.

5Nw3k5u.png

The result is a map that isn't terribly difficult, but can punish missteps very quickly, given how vulnerable some of your units are against magic. Not Boey, his Res is decent, I just wanted to show this fight...

You wanted us to see pantless Boy?

yZIOou7.png

...because he gained another point of Spd at the end of it. I think we can conclude that sailing is good for your speed strength.

Ah, I see.

Really taking after Speedroche and Sailross, huh.

Palla (the green-haired girl with blue hair) and Catria (the blue-haired girl with pink hair)

I get it, color restrictions and all, but the fact that they actually had a blue-haired sprite and put it on the wrong one is just hilarious.

M9X0zmh.png__FCF8b2z.png

There he is. The man, yada yada Meißen.

I've been assuming it goes without saying, but I would really appreciate if you'd use Meißen. For all the two maps he's available for.

xZ95XMk.png

This is the first instance of Echoes's writing being worse. At least here Arum is being a lot more overtly bloodthirsty so Celica's distress is a bit more understandable, she doesn't whine about him specifically being the leader as if someone else leading the rebels would change anything, and she doesn't say that horrible line along the likes of "bold words from a filthy pleb who has no idea how hard it is to be a noble." And also doesn't get pointlessly victimized immediately before and after to give the worst cockroach in the entire series things to do, there's that too.

It still feels like an awfully quick debacle, but then, this is a game with one page of script it could fit into each act. Got to make do. The solution was to not be faithful to Gaiden and not try to develop a romance, dramatic break up and aftermath in a single cutscene of dialogue, but... eh.

...I wonder where Meißen was during all this. Probably running so he could get to Rigel ahead of everybody and avoid joining for another two acts. Hey, maybe he told Arum to act all warmongery-like so as to cause a confrontation and buy time for himself.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, gnip said:

And it's about to come up, right? If memory serves, Palla and Catria are in the same category as Valbo's boys, in that they don't struggle too much surviving. Especially with Palla's 1-2 range and Catria's passive recovery.

You'd think that.....

*Catria fucking dies again

1 hour ago, gnip said:

43xwDpR.png

VALBO FINISHES

You love to see it.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

Also, since we're going to recruit Atlas pretty soon - I assume the Sea Shrine is the best way to magify him, right? Kamui and, most likely, Leo will be ready to promote by then, too, so a little detour is definitely worthwhile.

Yeah, I'd recommend that too.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've been assuming it goes without saying, but I would really appreciate if you'd use Meißen. For all the two maps he's available for.

I figured as much, and figure a similar request concerning Noma is bound to come, as well.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is the first instance of Echoes's writing being worse. At least here Arum is being a lot more overtly bloodthirsty so Celica's distress is a bit more understandable, she doesn't whine about him specifically being the leader as if someone else leading the rebels would change anything, and she doesn't say that horrible line along the likes of "bold words from a filthy pleb who has no idea how hard it is to be a noble." And also doesn't get pointlessly victimized immediately before and after to give the worst cockroach in the entire series things to do, there's that too.

I do like that Alm uses the more aggressive "retaliate" to describe his plans, but Celica doesn't really call him out on that. She just segues into her "so you want to be king" accusation right away. I dunno. Bad scene that Echoes adds bad things to.

9 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

You'd think that.....

*Catria fucking dies again

Haha :lol: For an ironman, I can definitely understand removing that RNG aspect of those two maps.

2 hours ago, gnip said:

I figured as much, and figure a similar request concerning Noma is bound to come, as well.

It is within the realm of possibility, to be sure. I wouldn't want to pick out your entire team myself, though.

2 hours ago, gnip said:

I do like that Alm uses the more aggressive "retaliate" to describe his plans, but Celica doesn't really call him out on that. She just segues into her "so you want to be king" accusation right away. I dunno. Bad scene that Echoes adds bad things to.

Well, I did say it's not amazing or anything. Still, his generally more aggressive tone does make it a bit more reasonable for Celica to be concerned with him, even if he segues into accusing him of things far too quickly. At that point, we have to once again remember that this is a game that could fit one page of script into each act or the NES broke. It did what it could, and the solution was to not be super faithful to the source material when even its creator admitted it wasn't all he wanted it to be due to hardware limitations.

...And, y'know, not victimize Celica immediately before and after for the orange cockroach's sake. That's also important.

FE2 Chapter 3: Liberty War

Sofia Castle --> Mountain Village

Spoiler

n7eUjnG.png

DW0XGHM.png: "A landslide north of here has cut off the path to Mila's Temple. The priestesses who just eft are safe, but..."

Silly unnamed NPC, Celica is the only character in the Priest class in her group at the moment.

Zv9kOHV.png

As I said last time, I'll be doing Celica's part of chapter 3 first, so that I can send an Angel Ring and a dead Mercenary over to Alm before he starts his campaign.

VwIKvEB.png__kuAAQri.png

For this map, I remember the little feature of swapping your team order around to manipulate everybody's starting location. On this first map, #4-6 start isolated from the rest, and it makes sense to make sure these are a tank and two ranged characters.

4jWmnHE.png: "Catria! Those guys are bandits. Stay close!"

MF8FM7A.png

For the southwestern group, Saber takes the point for a turn, to dish out a bit of damage before letting the others take over.

zTHgsmG.png

Specifically Kamui as the main frontliner, with the others taking potshots at the enemies. Kamui also takes a fair bit of damage, but Jenny can heal him up a bit as needed.

Speaking of Jenny - she's starting to struggle a bit here. She's still at her base Spd of 5, i.e. 3 with Nosferatur weighing her down, which means that she gets doubled by every enemy on the map. Luckily, there's only a single Archer around and she's using the Leather Shield, so it's not as bad as it could be.

6ousq24.png__Zy9HEzl.png

There's really not much else to say about the map, even though it's overall a step up in difficulty thanks to the stronger enemies. But all the action takes place at those two choke points, so it can be summed up handily as "Kamui needed to watch his HP, but he managed to get to Lv.7 during the fight. Meanwhile, Palla and Catria helped a lot to clear out the enemies in the northeast (or stole tons of XP, depending on your perspective)."

T1COeXJ.png

Now then, to collect ourselves to Pegasus Knights...

4jWmnHE.png: "Oh! I was looking for you. Our sister, Est, is still missing, and I was thinking... Your journey will be tough, like ours. May we travel together? We can help each other out."

2NsXikD.png: "Ahh, I hope we find Est soon... This is a secret, but if the three of us surround a foe, there's a really cool move we can use."

"Sometimes, we even hit with it!" (I don't actually know if the Triangle Atatck can still miss in Gaiden)

8TmEoQJ.png__PcLr5zI.png

Rather importantly, the two also come with a Javelin (which I'm not going to call Handlance, and which provides +3 Atk and 1-2 range at the cost of -2 Spd and -20 hit) and an Angel Ring (heals 5 HP/turn, sets Luck to 40, and makes every level-up proc a +2). The latter obviously goes right to Valbo.

QeeNjMx.png__OaiHrAv.png

The next map is the Mountain Graveyard, the same map as Celica's first fight, but filled with much stronger enemies. 10 Lv.5 Bonewalkers really are not a joke, since they're pretty tanky on the physical side (and still fairly resilient magically, considering their 36 HP). Their 5 Move is pretty relevant, too, with everybody (except the Pegasi, obviously) only having 4. It makes it that little bit more difficult to move somebody out of harm's way.

aAulq27.png

[HP 40% | Str 40% | Skl 15% | Spd 10% | Lck 10% | Def 30%]

Speakin of Pegasi...

Like in FE1, Palla's main advantage over her sisters seems to be her relative closeness to promotion level. Not that her base stats are bad or anything - 12 Str / 10 Spd is basically better than any of our previous characters, but...

tQmEFYv.png

[HP 30% | Str 30% | Skl 30% | Spd 40% | Lck 20% | Def 20%]

...Catria seems like the better unit overall, aside from the lower base level. Unlike in FE1, her bases are honestly even a little better than Palla's, and her growth rates are higher overall: 170% in total vs. Palla's 145%. Which admittedly isn't a huge difference, but Catria's higher Spd in particular seems important - the Falcoknight promotion surprisingly doesn't help with that stat at all. Otherwise, Catria is a bit worse in HP/Str/Def, but since Falcoknight does fix those stats, that seems like a good trade.

jgvaXET.png

That said, Catria does make a pretty bad first impression. It's honestly a bit annoying that Palla's Javelin is the first Lance that Celica gets.

Aycj9yu.png

This is another map where Celica's Seraphim spell is absolutely crucial. She doesn't double with it, but to look on the bright side, that means that she can set up kills for other characters more easily.

MEM6S1m.png

However, the real star of the show is, once again, Valbo, going from "getting doubled" to "be the one who doubles" in a heartbeat.

A3we3re.png

And Boey, who... well, he already doubled with Fire, but this gives him enough Spd to double with Thunder, too.

a2aHi19.png

Honestly, I'm glad about those positive events, since the fight itself is a bit frustrating. The Bonewalkers hit pretty hard, the only character who hits them really hard is Celica, you only have the one healer who heals for 7 HP and who you kinda want to feed XP to, too... You do have your own tools, like plonking somebody on a Graveyard and laugh at the silly +60 avoid, but it feels kinda tedious when every single enemy is tanky.

sppSg8x.png

Still, I get through it, despite HP levels going lower and lower over the course of the fight.

LiK711u.png__oVc9Pwk.png

Next stop: A mountain town called Mountain Town. The NPCs give some hints and story snippets:

• Bandit king Geyse raided this town for slaves recently. Child slaves, to make sure nobody thinks he's redeemable at all.
  • You can revive characters in the nearby dragon-guarded Mila shrine.
  • There's a trader that can send an item to Alm.

1RTXRxO.png

And finally, our new future Mage.

JeG7Tzk.png: "If so, let me help out. My siblings got captured by him, but I don't know where they're at..."

nAYO8c1.png

[HP 30% | Str 30% | Skl 20% | Spd 10% | Lck 15% | Def 20%]
[Fire (Lv.1) | Saggitae (Lv.16) | Recover (Sage)]

Atlas has very high base Str. Everything else about him is mediocre at best (well, his HP is pretty good, too), including his spell list. Although it has to be said that with Saggitae, he is going to hit really hard. Eventually. Until then, he can hit quite hard with Fire if you promote him to a Mage.

If you don't he's another low-growth character that can be carried by going Mercenary. Very similar to Grey, honestly, although Atlas's much better base Str might give him an edge long-term. Unfortunately for him, he's in a group that already has two Mercenaries (which can easily be ready to promote to Myrmidon at this point), so he has a bit of a hard time to stand out.

But wait, what's that in the background of that last picture...?

eqXfa1n.png

...ten Bonewalkers. How nice.

The Team:

Celica	8.59	   22   10*  5   8   8  11   5  + 60  Holy Sw (+3 Atk, +10 hit, +15 crit)
Jenny   7.21	   21    9   3*  4   5   8  13  + 87  Leather (+3 Def)
Boey    7.21	   24    8   5   2  11  10   7  + 98  Holy Ring
May	4.65	   21   10   3   2   7   5  10  + 71

Saber	3.88	   23    9*  5  10  10*  6   6  + 45  Steel (4 Atk, -1 Spd)
Valbo	3.35	   30   14  12   6   5   3   0  + 85
Kamui	7.96	   25   11   7   5  10   2   2  +133  Angel Ring
Leo	6.28	   24   11   5   8   5   6   1  + 35

Palla	8.34	   28   12*  6   9  10*  4   5  + 34  Javelin (+3 Atk, -20 hit, -2 Spd)
Catria  5.31	   24   11   5  12  12  12   9  + 31
Atlas   10.00	   30   14   5   3   3   4   4
  • Kamui should get that level-up quickly, so he can swap items with Celica.
  • I should try to give Leo more XP so that he can promote alongside Kamui and Atlas, but he only deals 2x1 damage vs those Bonewalkers...

40 minutes ago, gnip said:

1RTXRxO.png

And finally, our new future Mage.

There he is, my boy! He looks so much cooler in Echoes.

40 minutes ago, gnip said:

I should try to give Leo more XP so that he can promote alongside Kamui and Atlas, but he only deals 2x1 damage vs those Bonewalkers...

Patience time, it would seem.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

"Sometimes, we even hit with it!" (I don't actually know if the Triangle Atatck can still miss in Gaiden)

Haven't found any confirmation of this yet, but on the Wikia page it says it works on EP, but ignores the Javelin and Gradivoo and adds 15 to crit damage. Sounds like it could be wild in the right hands.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

[HP 40% | Str 40% | Skl 15% | Spd 10% | Lck 10% | Def 30%]

Speakin of Pegasi...

Like in FE1, Palla's main advantage over her sisters seems to be her relative closeness to promotion level. Not that her base stats are bad or anything - 12 Str / 10 Spd is basically better than any of our previous characters, but...

[HP 30% | Str 30% | Skl 30% | Spd 40% | Lck 20% | Def 20%]

...Catria seems like the better unit overall, aside from the lower base level. Unlike in FE1, her bases are honestly even a little better than Palla's, and her growth rates are higher overall: 170% in total vs. Palla's 145%. Which admittedly isn't a huge difference, but Catria's higher Spd in particular seems important - the Falcoknight promotion surprisingly doesn't help with that stat at all. Otherwise, Catria is a bit worse in HP/Str/Def, but since Falcoknight does fix those stats, that seems like a good trade.

Growths and game feel are about as you'd expect for pegasi with higher growths or bases showing up this far in the game. Falcoknight will be worth it, especially in Part 4.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

MEM6S1m.png

However, the real star of the show is, once again, Valbo, going from "getting doubled" to "be the one who doubles" in a heartbeat.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The true protag is here, game even warns you with the box art.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

A3we3re.png

And Boey, who... well, he already doubled with Fire, but this gives him enough Spd to double with Thunder, too.

It's ya Bowy!

The Spd investment was worth it.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

nAYO8c1.png

[HP 30% | Str 30% | Skl 20% | Spd 10% | Lck 15% | Def 20%]
[Fire (Lv.1) | Saggitae (Lv.16) | Recover (Sage)]

Atlas has very high base Str. Everything else about him is mediocre at best (well, his HP is pretty good, too), including his spell list. Although it has to be said that with Saggitae, he is going to hit really hard. Eventually. Until then, he can hit quite hard with Fire if you promote him to a Mage.

He holds the weight of his stats on his high Str, but at least he'll hit hard once per turn.

Unless the Angel ring blesses him hard.

SoV nerfed the Angel Ring into the ground, that's sad.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

But wait, what's that in the background of that last picture...?

eqXfa1n.png

...ten Bonewalkers. How nice.

*sigh

Any trades you're thinking about?

18 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The true protag is here, game even warns you with the box art.

The remake actually made a typo. It had "Echoes of Valentia" as its subtitle when it really meant to say "Echoes of Valbar et al."

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The remake actually made a typo. It had "Echoes of Valentia" as its subtitle when it really meant to say "Echoes of Valbar et al."

Shadows of Valbar would have been the 10/10 FE title.

And fitting as all is under his shadow

2 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Haven't found any confirmation of this yet, but on the Wikia page it says it works on EP, but ignores the Javelin and Gradivoo and adds 15 to crit damage. Sounds like it could be wild in the right hands.

And neither it nor the .org wiki mention that the FE1 triangle attack can miss. Funnily enough, .org does mention this for Genealogy (which, I just realise, I think I misspelled this entire time). Well, if it can miss, I'm sure we'll see it vs. some bastard sitting on a gravestone at some point. #ForScience

Growths and game feel are about as you'd expect for pegasi with higher growths or bases showing up this far in the game. Falcoknight will be worth it, especially in Part 4.

Yeah, I never got that far, but I know (and was reminded when this came up when talking about Claire earlier) that there's a bunch of monsters on Celica's side of the map. I'm actually kinda curious how Palla's stats will hold up for the endgame, what with her low speed in comparison to her sisters.

SoV nerfed the Angel Ring into the ground, that's sad.

Cowards, the lot of them

Any trades you're thinking about?

Sorry, in which context exactly? If you mean sending stuff from Celica to Alm, I'll definitely get the Angel Ring over to him. Gotta get those sweet stats.

And the only reason he doesn't make a cameo in Book 2 similar to the Whitewings in Gaiden is that he would completely break the game in two.

@gnipI found this screenshot in my Echoes folder.

77GETVAw_o.png

With a crit, sure, but it's not every day you see a magical boss with 25 res get one-shot by magic.

Just a sign of things to come, perhaps.

Man the game is so pretty though, we seriously need another Hidari FE

Yes the triangle attack will miss but who cares. It procs on enemy phase. And you can bait them into your triangle with careful placement of the lowest def sister. Best triangle attack in the series in my imo. Never has an Est been so easy (and lucrative) to raise

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

1 hour ago, gnip said:

Sorry, in which context exactly? If you mean sending stuff from Celica to Alm, I'll definitely get the Angel Ring over to him. Gotta get those sweet stats.

There are swords in Part 3 that might be worth passing too, but then again this isn't SoV where I feel there's more incentive to pass things around than to keep stuff because equipment is uncommon.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

77GETVAw_o.png

He's cutting the cheese.... with a bunch of magic arrows, but still.

That's the good stuff for magic on Jedah.

4 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Yes the triangle attack will miss but who cares. It procs on enemy phase. And you can bait them into your triangle with careful placement of the lowest def sister. Best triangle attack in the series in my imo. Never has an Est been so easy (and lucrative) to raise

Oh I absolutely see that coming.

(Imagine the scenes against Dolth)

19 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

77GETVAw_o.png

With a crit, sure, but it's not every day you see a magical boss with 25 res get one-shot by magic.

I might have undersold Atlas's excellent base Strength. He does really hit very hard.

19 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Well, I found Est to be fairly good in FE1, too, and fielded Catria all the time almost exclusively in order to enable the Triangle Attack :lol: But it's good to know that it's still not a guaranteed hit in Gaiden, so that I won't take any stupid risks against enemies on avoid tiles.

19 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

There are swords in Part 3 that might be worth passing too, but then again this isn't SoV where I feel there's more incentive to pass things around than to keep stuff because equipment is uncommon.

It's probably not too different in Gaiden, I think. We're still running around with one lance between Valbo, Catria, and Palla, for example. But I don't know how available traders are in Gaiden, if you can send over anything you want or if you have to careful picking the most useful items.

FE2 Chapter 3: Liberty War

Back to the Sea Shrine (just a short one, I'm too tired today to play any desert maps)

Spoiler

So I've involuntarily cheated again..:

T6g9k4e.png__eHChfnR.png

I savestated back to Atlas's village in order to swap items around (in particular giving Kamui the Angel Ring) after going to the Graveyard in order to screenshot Atlas's stat screen. I expected to return to the same enemy formation, but, as you can see, I didn't.

jcZCY7m.png

This enemy formation is way, wayy easier to fight - while also being way, wayy more rewarding in terms of XP. In addition to seven Zombies, we also run into 3 Mummies (Entombed, if we go by SacSto nomenclature). These have the same awful stats as the zombies, but they give huge XP, so the problem of Leo being pretty far from promotion is officially solved.

S4ATPwb.png__konQ3k5.png

Since the fight is very easy, I'll just show the level-up highlights - I'll take the extra Def on Kamui, and I'll definitely take the extra Str on Celica.

xcxRxHo.png__REQf1QE.png

One thing that's a bit odd is that Celica gains far less XP than other characters. I noticed that before, but this stark contrast is still a lot more than I expected. Maybe it's because Celica's class is basically the same as promoted Mage (F), so she counts as promoted, too?

jNzCcak.png

...well, they can't all be winners.

psJq5w1.png

The fight in the Sea Shrine is officially the first one with a character on the bench, which I only now really notice. Atlas is missing, but since he's about to promote anyway, giving him XP really wouldn't have made any difference, anyway.

uZOTvQy.png

Again, the fight is really easy at this stage, so I'll just show the one Angel Ring boosted level-up. Again not a winner, unfortunately. Celica's level-up was HP/Str, but the other three were all one-stat levels, I think.

kQUhHK1.png

And finally, promotions:

• Kamui -> Myrmidon: +5 HP, +4 Spd, +6 Skl
    • With the +2 Def level, he's actually two points above Myrm base in that stat. Otherwise, he's at class bases in every stat.
  • Leo -> Sniper: +6 HP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def
    • +2 Skl above Sniper bases, which is what he got from these Lion Heads.
  • Atlas -> Mage: +1 Spd. Took only three tries to get the right one!
    • +2 HP compared to Mage base, but most importantly +6 Str. Everything else, Atlas is at Mage base

So yeah, sorry for the very short update, but I'm really not in the mood to be annoyed by Gaiden's first desert map. Hopefully, I'll have the time and energy tomorrow.

The Team:

Celica	9.41	   24   12   5   8   8  11   7  + 82  Holy Ring
Jenny	7.70	   21    9   3*  4   5   8  13  + 49  Leather (+3 Def)
May	4.93	   21   10   3   2   7   5  10  + 28
Boey	8.15	   26    8   5   2  11  10   7  + 94

Atlas	10/1.00	   30   24   5   3   4   4   4  +  0*

Valbo	3.68	   30   14  12   6   5   3   0  + 33
Saber	4.16	   23    9*  5  10  10*  7   6  + 28  Steel (+4 Atk, -1 Spd)
Kamui	8/1.00	   30   11   9  11  14   2   2  +  4* Holy Sw (+3 Atk, +10 hit, +15 crit)
Leo	7/1.00	   30   12   6   8   6   7   1  + 72*

Catria	6.24	   24   11   5  14  12  12*  9  + 93  Angel Ring
Palla	8.82	   28   12*  6   9   9*  4   5  + 48  Javelin (+3 Atk, -20 hit, -2 Spd)

Atlas, Kamui, and Leo all gained more XP than the table says, but since I didn't screenshot their pre-promotion XP, I'll just subtract the XP they "lost" from promoting.

My body's trying to die 60 years in advance, so I don't think I'll reply to any old posts. Ruben, say things I would've said about act 2's ending and whatever BS maps I missed for me, por favor.

14 minutes ago, gnip said:

jcZCY7m.png

This enemy formation is way, wayy easier to fight

13 minutes ago, gnip said:

So yeah, sorry for the very short update, but I'm really not in the mood to be annoyed by Gaiden's first desert map. Hopefully, I'll have the time and energy tomorrow.

Okay, guess I missed nothing. Gaiden still being Gaiden.

14 minutes ago, gnip said:

uZOTvQy.png

Pobre Gnip. 

Automatically, Gaiden becomes way more fun than SoV from angel ring strats. Something about this is so addicting for me. Of course, in my run, it was mainly Mae, Atlas, and Sonya to an extent that was blessed with it. My fliers were okay, and Kamui also did well enough. Boy was a lost cause, and Valmahballs couldn't catch up with Force gaming for endgame. Still, it was kinda fun tryna get people past 30 in stats. 

20 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

77GETVAw_o.png

Nice. I'm more of a Tigerstance Nomah kinda bone, but this is great.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:54 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

2V2Hea7.png

On 9/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

It still feels like an awfully quick debacle, but then, this is a game with one page of script it could fit into each act. Got to make do. The solution was to not be faithful to Gaiden and not try to develop a romance, dramatic break up and aftermath in a single cutscene of dialogue, but... eh.

If it helps, Alm's way more aggressive in both the manga and the brief appearance he has in the awakening DLC. The idea of oonga boonga conqueror Alm was always there, but highly limited due to the NES being a brick. So, in this new console meant to revitalize this old beast of a game, they chose to rewrite his character in a way that completely invalidates Celica's purpose as a character.

Hell, Walhart was arguably created as a sign of what Alm could've become without Celica's kindhearted guidance, but as we all know, SoV Alm would've basically have been fine on his own other than the 1 or 2 instances of random levers and shit have to be pulled, which fuckin anyone can do. It's not Celica's character that does anything. It's just "the story decrees that only the princess that open the gate so that's very convenient for Alm". Also here's a ginger. Celica needs said Sirius fanboy to tell her she's stupid so she can still do stupid things and realize she was 100% in the wrong about basically everything, which she outright tells Alm. All this starts right after the yelling scene, making it a sign of awful things to come, as opposed to this being "Damn girl, what's with you? Anyways, it's fighting time!". Kinda bad, but it could've been worse. Boy oh boy, it could've been fucking worse...

1 hour ago, gnip said:

It's probably not too different in Gaiden, I think. We're still running around with one lance between Valbo, Catria, and Palla, for example. But I don't know how available traders are in Gaiden, if you can send over anything you want or if you have to careful picking the most useful items.

It's one per trader, you get some more in Act 4.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

Again, the fight is really easy at this stage, so I'll just show the one Angel Ring boosted level-up. Again not a winner, unfortunately. Celica's level-up was HP/Str, but the other three were all one-stat levels, I think.

I'll confess I don't recall intentionally using it this much.

But hey, it helps.

34 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Nice. I'm more of a Tigerstance Nomah kinda bone, but this is great.

I'm too boring to not reclass the armours