To Become an Elitist [Playlogs FE1-5] [currently playing: Thracia 776]

ping

45 minutes ago, ping said:

*slams fist on the table* DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

YOU DEFY THE WORD OF GOD?!

59 minutes ago, ping said:

...I think this is applicable here? As in, Kaga might not have perceived Arvis as a villain, but ultimately it's what he wrote, not what he intended, what counts? And honestly, considering how Arvis is liberally getting innocent people killed to achieve his goals, I find it hard not to classify him as a villain, if a villain with a sympathetic backstory (his Loptyr blood which would get him killed, if revealed) and noble-ish goals (it's really just coincidence that they require Arvis to rule the world).

I can half-jokingly imagine that Kaga spent many days in FE4's development head filled with thoughts about the incredibleness of Arvis. ...Of which, 1% made it into the actual game. Was he so enamored with his own thoughts that he could not see the disparity the world of his internal imagination and the external reality? A difference which would matter if this were more than writings of pure fantasy intended for no one but himself -and FE4 is more than that.

You could make this error in any era of gaming, or storytelling in general. Yet in the case of Genealogy, limitations on presentation and the amount of text in the 16-bit era, means that the wrote-intended/external-internal difference is bigger than it would have to be later in the history of video games.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

220px-Nietzsche187a.jpg

THE AUTHOR IS DEAD! THE AUTHOR REMAINS DEAD! AND WE HAVE KILLED HIM!

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That is factually incorrect.🤨

He was truly in love with Deirdre, not knowing of his blood relation with her at first. Arvis constantly feared that Deirdre might’ve had some sort of relationship with Sigurd, and so he used her to gain an unfair advantage over Sigurd because he felt that was the only way he could win against Sigurd.
You could say Arvis is a protagonist from another perspective. Sigurd and Arvis are both protagonists in their own right, even though they are on opposing sides. If anything, Arvis is definitely not a ‘villain’; that’s why tragedy befalls him in Seliph’s chapter, caused by his own weakness.

...Kaga was the first Arvis megafan.😝

I care to disagree, Arvis did little for me personally.

Ahh, so I was correct.

Also I've got to agree to be honest, maybe it was all the spoilers softening the impact of his actions but Arvis and his three scenes didn't exactly leave me super moved. Kind of a Brunnya effect where the concept isn't too bad but then they barely exist so they don't get to capitalize on it much.

...That, and Arvis is often namedropped in the same conversations as Lyon, and... Yeah, no. Arvis wishes he was as good as Lyon.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Excuse me?

Kaga’s comment: Sigurd’s chapter was meant simply to be foreshadowing, leading up to Seliph’s chapter.

You misunderstood everything.😜

This may be the reason gen 1 is better than gen 2, actually. Every time Kaga's tried to write a story that's like, "smaller part of a greater whole", it's consistently been his best stories. FE5, Berwick Saga... And I guess you can count FE4 gen 1 if he conceived it as just a prologue to Seliph's "main" story.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

How can a person who hires Niles, of all people, hate his femboy son? And don't complain about how they turn out when your version of parenting is "stick them in a bubble and hope they don't die".

Garon gave his child four siblings, their own castle, their own maid service, a challenging but rewarding job - and, for their sweet 16, a cool glowing sword! What more could a child want from their daddy?

Leo is in the closet and is secretly really frustrated that his son is so much more brave and free (and pretty) than he is.

And yeah, the game tries to frame it as child abuse, but I know better. Garon gave Corrin their own castle and army of servants because he cared, not because he was an evil man of goo.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Tsk. 😛

Forgive me. I kind of saw a wall of text about FE4's mechanics and went "I have no need of this information, give me more recolors to comment on."

4 hours ago, ping said:

Dastardly evil King Desmond: Protects his dear daughter from contracting rabies by discreetly removing the baby fox that her brother gave him.

Despicable abusive monster Hilda: Selflessly saves Tailtiu from having to participate in the shittier part of the game.

Lovable and huggable (hot) girl Hilda: Emotionally manipulates the people around her, owns slaves and is unrepentant about it, stole both her name and her design.

1 hour ago, ping said:
3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

220px-Nietzsche187a.jpg

THE AUTHOR IS DEAD! THE AUTHOR REMAINS DEAD! AND WE HAVE KILLED HIM!

If Kaga is dead, how's he posting about the Vestaria remake on twitter?

Checkmate, atheists.

16 hours ago, BrightBow said:

That being said, I imagine most of the female characters are not literally meant to actually be present for the BBQ, despite how it's shown in the game.
Because most of them do agree to leave before the final battle when the topic is brought up in their final convos. And almost all of them will be confirmed to have survived at least the immediate aftermath of the battle.

Not sure if this is intended or not, but my headcannon has always been that the battle at Belhalla was a lot messier than the FE4 representation shows it to be. Yes, it was intended to be a systematic massacre of Sigurd's army, but its name in legend becomes battle at Belhalla, which indicates that Sigurd and his army put up quite the resistance. Of course, Sigurd does not survive, and Lewyn dies in battle and his body is revived, but as for everyone else, it was chaos. There was fire and smoke and screaming everywhere, so for people like Lachesis, Ayra, Bridget, and whoever else is rumored or confirmed to be alive, I can absolutely see these women fighting their way to nearby forests in the commotion and slipping out of sight. I can especially see it if they're married and their husbands die protecting them in their escape. The idea that Sigurd actually has an army with thousands of people, it makes it even more believable that the femme fatales were able to slip away in the commotion.

All that being said, FE4 on its own gives the player no reason to believe anyone in Sigurds army might have survived, mostly due to the limitations of animating the battle in engine.

33 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Alright, as promised, the Sigurd Choose Your Own Adventure story

I instantly died by making the wrong first choice.

Amazing.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I instantly died by making the wrong first choice.

Amazing.

Don't tell me I arrived at

Spoiler

stabbing the king

earlier than you did.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Forgive me. I kind of saw a wall of text about FE4's mechanics and went "I have no need of this information, give me more recolors to comment on."

3CY5z5v.png

Or, if you insist, this one:

BCbuwP9.png

...which is very distinct from the memorable ch.3 Dracoknight Butterfly:

5DCDbBL.png

1 hour ago, Nauriam said:

All that being said, FE4 on its own gives the player no reason to believe anyone in Sigurds army might have survived, mostly due to the limitations of animating the battle in engine.

It does backpaddle a bit immediately, unfortunately - Lester and Lana are about to have a little chat about their mum staying behind in Tirnanog. I hope this doesn't become too much of a regular occasion, with Bridget and (I'm pretty sure) Raquesis also confirmed to have escaped, but we'll see.

30 minutes ago, ping said:

Or, if you insist, this one:

BCbuwP9.png

...which is very distinct from the memorable ch.3 Dracoknight Butterfly:

5DCDbBL.png

At least in other games they recolor the hair as well. This game just has seven of the same guy wearing different capes.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Alright, as promised, the Sigurd Choose Your Own Adventure story

The absolute madlad.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If Kaga is dead, how's he posting about the Vestaria remake on twitter?

Checkmate, atheists.

Obviously, he's been possessed by an ancient dragon spirit.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Leo is in the closet and is secretly really frustrated that his son is so much more brave and free (and pretty) than he is.

Thus creating a paradox. Leo needs to stay compulsorily heterosexual, or else his son will fade out of existence, Back to the Future style!

...Except nvm the Deeprealms solve this, Babyrealms good actually?

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And yeah, the game tries to frame it as child abuse, but I know better. Garon gave Corrin their own castle and army of servants because he cared, not because he was an evil man of goo.

TBH I love love love how CQ Corrin's plan boils down to "if my adoptive siblings see Garon as a pile of goo, they'll know he's evil!" Not "if they see Garon turn into a pile of goo, they'll know he's been tricked by those wicked Hoshidans! Who could've predicted a cursed throne that turns any Nohrian who sits upon it into goo?"

So even if Garon were evil, it's not because he's made of goo. Goo is morally neutral.

That, and Arvis is often namedropped in the same conversations as Lyon, and... Yeah, no. Arvis wishes he was as good as Lyon.

They're very different. They have superficial similarities, yes, as "prettyboy mages who start friendly, but turn out to be the main antagonist". But how they get there is continents apart.

Kind of a Brunnya effect where the concept isn't too bad but then they barely exist so they don't get to capitalize on it much.

"Brunnya? Who's that?"

- Me when I actually use the legendary weapons instead of hording them like some nerd.

5 hours ago, ping said:

3CY5z5v.png

Or, if you insist, this one

I am, once again, for the first time, formally requesting pink-haired Leif.

10 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Thus creating a paradox. Leo needs to stay compulsorily heterosexual, or else his son will fade out of existence, Back to the Future style!

...Except nvm the Deeprealms solve this, Babyrealms good actually?

I mean, you can always go the Gay Fates route.

image.png?ex=660c587e&is=65f9e37e&hm=0b9

11 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

TBH I love love love how CQ Corrin's plan boils down to "if my adoptive siblings see Garon as a pile of goo, they'll know he's evil!" Not "if they see Garon turn into a pile of goo, they'll know he's been tricked by those wicked Hoshidans! Who could've predicted a cursed throne that turns any Nohrian who sits upon it into goo?"

So even if Garon were evil, it's not because he's made of goo. Goo is morally neutral.

I'd have loved if Xander just kept on being like "no my dad is awesome, this proves nothing" and then Corncob eats shit and dies.

12 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

They're very different. They have superficial similarities, yes, as "prettyboy mages who start friendly, but turn out to be the main antagonist". But how they get there is continents apart.

Oh, I'm not saying they're identical, but they do tend to be brought up together (probably because the topic tends to be "good FE villains" and there's not exactly many), and I find Lyon's tragedy to be done a lot better than Arvis's, different execution and all.

13 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"Brunnya? Who's that?"

- Me when I actually use the legendary weapons instead of hording them like some nerd.

Imagine discouraging hoarding. Greatest strategy game of all time FE6 would never.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It really is an amazing way to resolve this.
Even just on a fundamental level, this is just... idk, the exact opposite of drama?
No struggles between morality and loyalty. Everyone gets to walk the path of least resistance because daddy dearest was never daddy dearest in the first place. So convenient.

It's like if the Greil Mercenaries would have saved Lucia before Elincia made a decision that, as far as she could tell, would definitely get Lucia killed.

It's nice if people are spared from making tough choices that force them to decide who they really are and what matters most to them. But it doesn't make for good stories.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Imagine discouraging hoarding. Greatest strategy game of all time FE6 would never.

It does make you appreciate that the final chapter coupons of FE3 were items with unlimited durability.

Not to mention restoring the Shield of Seals was a secondary objective of that game.
Even the intro screen reminds you of this, always showing the shield with the notable holes in it, which are filled as you collect the orbs. Clearly something is going to happen once they are all brought together.

But there is no indication given in FE6 that the weapons would serve a purpose beyond killing stuff.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think the message if the game is that goo is inherently evil. If Garon wasn't goo and he sat on that throne and just laughed it up then Xander and the other Norhians would have just celebrated with some newly appropriated Hoshidan Sake. It's not the actions of bad king being bad that meant he needed to be stopped, he needed to be stopped because he was goo, regardless as to what he was doing. A very bigoted and anti goo moral Fates peddles.

12 hours ago, Nauriam said:

Not sure if this is intended or not, but my headcannon has always been that the battle at Belhalla was a lot messier than the FE4 representation shows it to be. Yes, it was intended to be a systematic massacre of Sigurd's army, but its name in legend becomes battle at Belhalla, which indicates that Sigurd and his army put up quite the resistance. Of course, Sigurd does not survive, and Lewyn dies in battle and his body is revived, but as for everyone else, it was chaos. There was fire and smoke and screaming everywhere, so for people like Lachesis, Ayra, Bridget, and whoever else is rumored or confirmed to be alive, I can absolutely see these women fighting their way to nearby forests in the commotion and slipping out of sight. I can especially see it if they're married and their husbands die protecting them in their escape. The idea that Sigurd actually has an army with thousands of people, it makes it even more believable that the femme fatales were able to slip away in the commotion.

Same. 

In my loose headcanon...

• Lewyn and Briggid take up a predominant role in the action that follows. Both have holy weapons, they should be superhuman and likely be able to mow down crowds.
    • Lewyn at some point swaps from fighting grunts, to a dance of wind and fire with Arvis. One that ultimately ends with him getting singed, but it goes on for a while and distracts Arvis, perhaps some of his mages too. Perhaps -for some gameplay-story integration, he acquires Sigurd's personal possessions that Seliph later inherits, but Arvis's flames stops Lewyn the moment right before he can grab Tyrfing.
  • Arden, Alec, Naoise, Midir, Beowulf, Chulainn, Jamke, Dew, Lex. These all day in the chaotic fray as one presumes would.
    • If I wanted to get a little fancy with some of these demises...
      • Arden dies standing on his two feet either bodyguarding or protecting somebody's escape, never does he actually literally fall in battle. Suits an armor knight.
      • Dew can, being the shota thief, can try doing something creative/cunning to help somebody, maybe to help somebody flee. He knows he's taking a huuuuuge risk, and while the escape is successful, it doesn't pay off for him.☠️
  • Azelle- I'll go with house arrest for the outcome. Not sure whether he'd try fleeing b/c fragile mage, or if he'd fight like any other, or choose to attempt to confront his brother.
  • Ayra- Offers to secure an escape route for some to escape the fiasco. While a woman and thus a priority to escape, having the pride of a warrior, she chooses to wait to flee herself until the last possible moment. She waits too long.
  • Tailtiu is captured before she can flee.
  • Edain and Lachesis flees successfully and unconditionally, rarities.
  • ClaudxSilvia do flee, but separately in the chaos. Silvia drops Leen off at Darna to freely find her husband, Bragi priests hide Claud in various places. Silvia eventually finds him, though permanently bedridden he be from injuries he received, all the weakened Claud does now is pray and receive visions. Coirpre is conceived in their one tender embrace in this moment. Silvia goes to Darna again, drops off her infant son -and if we want to be extra cheery about it stays long enough that she actually meets Hannibal and entrusts her son to him, thinking him kind yet politically prominent enough to protect her son the heir to Edda- before departing to find her husband once more.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and I find Lyon's tragedy to be done a lot better than Arvis's, different execution and all.

Indeed, quite the difference between having your body offered up to the Demon King (after getting doubled by literally everyone b/c lol0AS) and getting chopped by Tristan (after a few cuts by some blue dude).😛

42 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Same. 

In my loose headcanon...

• Lewyn and Briggid take up a predominant role in the action that follows. Both have holy weapons, they should be superhuman and likely be able to mow down crowds.
    • Lewyn at some point swaps from fighting grunts, to a dance of wind and fire with Arvis. One that ultimately ends with him getting singed, but it goes on for a while and distracts Arvis, perhaps some of his mages too. Perhaps -for some gameplay-story integration, he acquires Sigurd's personal possessions that Seliph later inherits, but Arvis's flames stops Lewyn the moment right before he can grab Tyrfing.
  • Arden, Alec, Naoise, Midir, Beowulf, Chulainn, Jamke, Dew, Lex. These all day in the chaotic fray as one presumes would.
    • If I wanted to get a little fancy with some of these demises...
      • Arden dies standing on his two feet either bodyguarding or protecting somebody's escape, never does he actually literally fall in battle. Suits an armor knight.
      • Dew can, being the shota thief, can try doing something creative/cunning to help somebody, maybe to help somebody flee. He knows he's taking a huuuuuge risk, and while the escape is successful, it doesn't pay off for him.☠️
  • Azelle- I'll go with house arrest for the outcome. Not sure whether he'd try fleeing b/c fragile mage, or if he'd fight like any other, or choose to attempt to confront his brother.
  • Ayra- Offers to secure an escape route for some to escape the fiasco. While a woman and thus a priority to escape, having the pride of a warrior, she chooses to wait to flee herself until the last possible moment. She waits too long.
  • Tailtiu is captured before she can flee.
  • Edain and Lachesis flees successfully and unconditionally, rarities.
  • ClaudxSilvia do flee, but separately in the chaos. Silvia drops Leen off at Darna to freely find her husband, Bragi priests hide Claud in various places. Silvia eventually finds him, though permanently bedridden he be from injuries he received, all the weakened Claud does now is pray and receive visions. Coirpre is conceived in their one tender embrace in this moment. Silvia goes to Darna again, drops off her infant son -and if we want to be extra cheery about it stays long enough that she actually meets Hannibal and entrusts her son to him, thinking him kind yet politically prominent enough to protect her son the heir to Edda- before departing to find her husband once more.

Indeed, quite the difference between having your body offered up to the Demon King (after getting doubled by literally everyone b/c lol0AS) and getting chopped by Tristan (after a few cuts by some blue dude).😛

I think we do know from the opening that it was Manfroy specifically who killed Lewyn.

There was an attempt at Genealogy Gen 2 with standard maps FeBuilderGBA game a few years back. It only got through the Isaach arc before it was abandoned, but one funny addition is that they had Arden he a playable character, because otherwise there'd be no armoured knights until late mid game. The justification for Arden surviving was simply that he wasn't at the Battle of Bahrara because he was too slow and was just but in charge of guarding one of the castles. A fitting a headcanon for Arden as any other.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think the message if the game is that goo is inherently evil. If Garon wasn't goo and he sat on that throne and just laughed it up then Xander and the other Norhians would have just celebrated with some newly appropriated Hoshidan Sake. It's not the actions of bad king being bad that meant he needed to be stopped, he needed to be stopped because he was goo, regardless as to what he was doing. A very bigoted and anti goo moral Fates peddles.

Have you ever considered that every person of color in the game looks gray?

...Oh my God his own kids are racists against Garon. Now I'm never going to be able to unsee it...

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In my run Tristan died unceremoniously stalling Brian because I had nobody that could kill the guy lmao

Instead, I killed Arvis with the only character that deserved it.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think we do know from the opening that it was Manfroy specifically who killed Lewyn.

There was an attempt at Genealogy Gen 2 with standard maps FeBuilderGBA game a few years back. It only got through the Isaach arc before it was abandoned, but one funny addition is that they had Arden he a playable character, because otherwise there'd be no armoured knights until late mid game. The justification for Arden surviving was simply that he wasn't at the Battle of Bahrara because he was too slow and was just but in charge of guarding one of the castles. A fitting a headcanon for Arden as any other.

To be honest, it fits. He finally got there to find everyone dead and Arvis's cronies long gone. He swore revenge...

On the "no armored knights until late midgame", I mean... That's basically how it is in FE4 gen 2 as it is. Not that anybody minds, because armor knights in this game are at the height of their badness. Bors, Wendy and Barth are walking memes but they are at least usable if you put your back into it. In this game? You need to put your back, eyeballs, liver, urethra and house insurance into it and it's still probably just going to result in a bunch of burnt villages.

FE4 Chapter 6: Heirs to the Light

Tirnanog -> Ganeishire

Spoiler

0Cyx0dT.png

Just as he had planned, this left Arvis as the sole ruling power of the kingdom. Opposition from Silesse and Leonster was swiftly crusehd, and so Arvis unified all Jugdral under Granvalle's rule. With overwhelming support from his subjects, Arvis thus became the first Emperor of the Grannvale Empire.

3i9dyou.png

Seventeen years have passed since the Battle of Belhalla... The adoring public who once welcomed the rise of Emperor Arvis now struggle under his oppressive, dictatorial rule. And across Jugdral, in the other realms now dominated by Grannvale, their people have been reduced to living as little more than slaves to the Empire's whims.

bwCXkf2.png

King Dannan, the appointed king of Isaach, is a brutal and unforgiving tyrant, just like his late father, Duke Langbalt. While Dannan himself lives an indulgent life at the Rivough palace, the people remain little more than slaves to the Empire.

T4TbOoe.png

His second son, Johan, rules Isaach Castle, while his youngest, Johalvier, rules Sophara. And the remote Ganeishire region is governed by Dannan's trusted confidant, General Harold. Under their rule, Isaach knows no freedom...

(Johalvier at the top, Johan to the right. Or Iucharbar and Iuchar, as their official names apparently are. Those names are given after the two brothers of Brian, a figure in Gaelic mythology, so they're actually actually quite fitting, although without knowing that inspiration, it comes across more as "Fantasy name, fantasy name... and Bob". Maybe I should just call them Roger-Roger and Brian.)

However, one last hope remains for Isaach. Tirnanog, an isolated village in Isaach's far north...

exmlPGH.png

, whose strength grows with each passing day. Among these proud, young warriors is a young man, dubbed the 'Scion of Light' by the people of Isaach and revered as the rightful prince of the Grannvale Empire.

dwfh2Ei.png

And here we are in Isaach. Summarising 17 years in five sentences is bound to leave a lot of questions unanswered - for example why Arvis was so adored by the public at first. Jingoistic pride of his conquests? Collective royalist exaltation because everybody is so relieved that he and Deirdre are going to produce true blue-blooded children? But if I recall, we will at least get some insight into why his rule has been deteriorating.

lARgLah.png

DSYhhos.png: "Harold! Have you ferreted out the rebels yet? Or are you content to leave them unchecked for the rest of their days?! Shanan and his rebel ilk are growing stronger by the day, and now they hamper us at every turn! And as if that weren't enough, they harbor the spawn of Sigurd the Traitor! The very existence of this scum utterly defiles the authority of the Isaachian throne! How do you expect me to explain this sorry state to His Imperial Majesty?"
BMzHK6U.png: "A thousand apologies, Your Highness, but everything is already under control. The rebel hideout has been found, and even as we speak an army is on its way to crush them. Those vile mice have nowhere else to run! By sundown, not a single rebel will still be breathing."
DSYhhos.png: "Hm. Very well. But be warned, Harold. Don't even think of underestimating them. Most of the rebels are too young to pose a threat, but they still have Oifey and Shanan. Those two alone are extremely dangerous. Dismissing them would be a fatal mistake."
BMzHK6U.png: "Yes, sir. I'm aware. But I've already had Tirnanog, the rebel hideout, surveyed in secret, and it appears that neiter are anywhere in sight. It's safe to assume them to be currently absent, sir."
DSYhhos.png: "What?! Then why are we still talking about this? Send the order to move in on Tirnanog immediately! The people of Isaach are treating these rebels like some kind of heroes of freedom... But it's high time they learned the error of their ways! Kill them! All of them! I'll be waiting back at Rivough. I expect nothing but good news!"

PbodGim.png__YUYTJN3.png

I like how almost immediately, Dannan is (a) worried about the "authority of the Isaachian throne!" and (b) worried that daddy Arvis will be mad at him.

Pretty straightforward set-up for this first fight otherwise, although I like that the villains have something resembling a plan, striking at Tirnanog while the most dangerous rebels are away.

RWO0BOX.png

4BoJFG8.png: "We have a problem, Lord Seliph! Looks like the Empire's finally caught onto our whereabouts... A brigade's set out from Ganeishire, and they seem to be headed our way!"
CAoOIZb.png: "Ugh, Ulster! Why so surprised? Did you really think our little hideout wouldn't be found out sooner or later? Let them come, I say! It only makes the battle easier for us! It'll be the easiest thing to just walk right over Ganeishire and pick them off as we go!"
4BoJFG8.png: "You've gotta be kidding! Prince Shanan's still off trying to find the Yied Shrine, and Oifey and the others aren't back yet. It's just us two against an entire army! Surely, even you can't think this'll end well!"
CAoOIZb.png: "I don't care! You can sit here and be as scared witless as you want, but I'm not letting a chance like this pass! The prince still treats us like helpless children, but come on! We've had more than enough training! We're ready for real action!"
4BoJFG8.png: "But..."
CAoOIZb.png: "I'm... I'm not gonna run away anymore! I'm sick to death of sitting here while those monsters butcher our friends! Or worse... The empire's thugs are still out there, snaggin any girl they see... If Prince Shanan hadn't come for me that day, I'd be just another one of 'em: dead, or wishing I was... I won't forgive or forget their pain!"
4BoJFG8.png: "No, that's not it, Larcei... You're right, it's horrible and all, but..."

YcaippA.png

oJbpepn.png: "Most likely, I presume Shanan would have given you strict orders to keep me safe. After all, if Shanan had not given such an order, you'd already be out there in the fray! To not be thirsting for a good battle just isn't the Ulster I know."
CAoOIZb.png: "Oh... That's... That's right. Sorry, sir. I was hoping we didn't have to involve you..."
oJbpepn.png: "I'm not a child anymore, either, Larcei! If you two plan to fight, then I plan to fight by your side. There's more at stake today than only the resistance. What of Tirnanog? We owe so much to its people. I refuse to abandon them at such a critical hour!"
4BoJFG8.png: "But-"
oJbpepn.png: "We've no time to waste debating this! Lana, stay behind and help the citizens. We'll engage the foe in the western gully."
XOpNLUK.png: "Wait, milord! I'm coming, too!"
oJbpepn.png: "I cannot permit that, Lana! A cleric such as yourself is ill suited for such a battlefield."
XOpNLUK.png: "This is my fight, too! You won't convince me any more than you could convince Larcei! Every day I think the Empire can't get any more cruel, and every day I'm proven wrong. They prey on the weak and vulnerable as if snuffing out their lives is a sport to them... I can't sit quietly and accept this! I may not be able to fight, but I've my own way of defending everyone!"
oJbpepn.png: "Hm... My apologies, Lana. You are absolutely right: the battle for Isaach's freedom rests upon all of us. Very well. We shall all go together! How this will turn out, I cannot say... But we owe it to all of Isaach to give this battle no less than our best."
XOpNLUK.png: "Yes, milord. And, er... Sorry. I shouldn't have spoken so brashly."
oJbpepn.png: "Ha! You've nothing to apologize for. Now, Ulster, Larcei, Lana... The time has come! Move out!"

Still mostly straightforward. Very anime-protagonist quartett of heroes, throwing themselves into battle against better judgement.

I'll say that I'm not the biggest fan of the name "Ulster" for a person. I just can't not think of that name as the Irish province - although I suppose that the more faithful localisation "Scáthach" would've just been a gender-flipped name, instead.

jWyJuB8.png

[HP 140% | Str 55% | Mag 30% | Skl 60% | Spd 35% | Lck 45% | Def 45% | Res 30%]
Skills: Nihil, Pursuit
Weapon Level: Swords (*)
Major Baldur blood; Minor Naga blood

Baby Sigurd. Seliph's stats really are quite reminiscent of his dad's, albeit with significantly better HP, Mag and Res growth thanks to his Naga blood, and without the stat boost Sigurd gets from starting in his (and Seliph's) promoted class. If you add Seliph's promotion bonuses, his bases are actually quite close to Sigurd's - but of course, it's a long way to both Tipperary and to Lv.20.

Like with Sigurd, Seliph's only stat that might seem a bit sketchy is his Spd. On average, he'll land at roughly 20 Spd, two points below his cap, but of course, the lightness of swords should help him greatly in that regard.

1U1EMRZ.png
[HP 135% | Str 55% | Mag 7% | Skl 65% | Spd 35% | Lck 30% | Def 60% | Res 7%]
Skills: Astra, Nihil, Paragon, Pursuit, Vantage
Weapon Level: Swords (A)
Minor Odo blood; Minor Neir blood

Higher Def growth than Lex, even!

Actually, just in terms of stats, Ulster seems stronger than Seliph - similar growths (more Def, but much lower Mag/Res), more skills, innate Paragon, and actually a fairly significant advantage in his Str and Spd bases. I can only assume that he's still considered to be a bad unit because of a mixture of no horse, no horse after promotion, and Seliph's prerogative on resources because you'll have to move him to the throne anyway. Oh, and no horse.

mx77VE4.png
[HP 125% | Str 50% | Mag 7% | Skl 70% | Spd 40% | Lck 30% | Def 60% | Res 7%]
Skills: Astra, Nihil, Paragon, Pursuit, Vantage
Minor Odo blood; Minor Neir blood

Very similar to her brother, trading a little bit of Str and bulk for a little bit of extra Skl and Spd.

She does seem to have the better promotion - Ulster's Hero class gains a few points of magic, which he still won't be able to use very well, while Larcei's Swordmaster class gives her more Spd, more Skl, and an additional proc still in Adept.

uBsD9wZ.png

[HP 100% | Str 35% | Mag 32% | Skl 35% | Spd 50% | Lck 65% | Def 35% | Res 7%]
Skills: Pursuit, Accost
Weapon Level: Staves (A)
Minor Ullur blood

Midir as a father obviously isn't the greatest for Lana, leaving her with a worse Mag base than Aideen (13) and basically the same growth rate (30%). However, inheritance makes sure that she starts with (almost) all the good staves, so that lower Mag stat doesn't matter quite as much. Honestly, item inheritance seems the main reason why Lana is better than her substitute at all.

jeimne0.png

Checking out the castle, we can now access very important new information at the Augury. It's good that this is accessible for the player, of course, but it's easy to make fun of. I can't believe Kaga would give everyone in gen 2 amnesia!

If I had left anything with the Pawnbroker at the end of ch.5 (I honestly don't remember), it's gone now, and the selection at the Armoury is rather limited: Three Iron Swords and one Iron Blade. ...I think I'll pass.

zpKx5dY.png

The map! Very straightforward at the start, with a simple linear path leading to the next castle. After that, it looks like we would get sandwiched. I already know that we can recruit one of the Rogers with Larcei, but I don't remember how his mooks are going to behave, or if Roger-Roger will become hostile before Larcei can talk to them.

rTLo2d2.png__prCRU1s.png

Speaking of Roger-Roger - any preferences? I honestly don't care too much - if I recall, Johan doesn't really have the same power that Lex had, while Johalvier has better combat (well, I don't have to "recall" anything here, the base stats are right there) but the bad ol' "No Horse" syndrome.

nj3XioG.png

Before we get to them, we'll have to go through Harold - fairly generic stats, albeit with high Def and, of course, Pavise. If only we had somebody with a weapon that deals a lot of damage against armoured units...

kTPErk9.png

We also can take a look at King Dannan already - pretty significant increase in power compared to his lackeys (or his sons). If only we had somebody with a weapon that deals a lot of damage against armoured units...

bfgdVYR.png

Well, for now, it's three fighters and a healer against an army.

4BoJFG8.png: "You holding up okay so far, Larcei?"
CAoOIZb.png: "Yeah, I'm getting by fine..."
4BoJFG8.png: "Just be careful out here, okay? Your usual brazen antics'll only get you in trouble now."
CAoOIZb.png: "I know, I know, I know! What, do you still think I'm still a child?"
4BoJFG8.png: "Heh... Man, that iron will of yours! Guess you're just like Mom was, if what Prince Shanan's told us is true."
CAoOIZb.png: "Yeah... Ayra... I can't remember a thing about her. You?"
4BoJFG8.png: "No, of course not. We're twins, remember? If you were too young to remember, then so was I! We weren't even two years old yet back then... It was Oifey who took us with him when he fled to Isaach with Seliph. We waited and waited, but Mom never followed. I guess she didn't make it out of the Battle of Belhalla alive..."
CAoOIZb.png: "Ulster! You swore you'd never say awful things like that! Mom is alive! ALIVE! I'm sure of it! Don't you dare say otherwise ever again!"
4BoJFG8.png: "...Er, sorry, Larcei... You're right... I'm sorry."

[Larcei: Lck +1]

"Do you think I'm still a child?" sure is a thing to ask your twin.

xHxmrLh.png__Kqtpqfs.png

The first enemies you face are overall pretty trivial, although I suppose the Axe Knight hits pretty hard. There's a bit of variance here because none of our units one-round, but all of them have some proc skills (or Silver Sword crit, in Seliph's case) that can change that.

Lq1z2Af.png

A bigger stream of enemies comes from through a narrow path south of the open field. Seliph isn't nearly tanky enough to face them on his own, but he still moves towards them so that he can get a hit in and canter back to a safe(-ish) location afterwards.

But before he can do that, at the start of the third turn, we get some reinforcements:

NCZ09gY.png

T8gl84v.png: "I hope everyone's doing alright..."
15jQXaR.png: "Most of them'll be fine, Lester, but what about your sister? What if Lana's gone and gotten herself mixed up in the fighting? She can't defend herself at all if she's out in the open like this."
15jQXaR.png: "Sir, we should hurry back. The sooner get back [sic] to Lord Seliph's side, the better."
ktxYoPs.png: "Indeed. Come, Dermott! Lester! The battlefield awaits us!"

This is so much of a Chapter One dialogue, it almost hurts. "Protect your healer, dumbass!"

eCKCk52.png

[HP 100% | Str 40% | Mag 5% | Skl 50% | Spd 30% | Lck 40% | Def 30% | Res 10%]
Skills: Pursuit, Critical
Weapon Level: Swords (A), Lances (B)
Minor Baldur blood

The Jeigan that is apparently so strong that he had a sub-archetype named after him. Although that might just be indicative of the FE fandom's compulsion to create a million small boxes to sort characters into.

That said, Oifey does seem very competent, with his stand-out bases being his Def and (to a lesser extend; Paladin has a class base of 5) Mag. His growths are reminiscent of gen 1 characters - almost identical to Alec if he had minor Baldur blood himself, actually - so I still expect child characters with their inflated growths to surpass him eventually, but maybe this is a BlaBla!Marcus situation that Oifey finds himself in. Just not a Seth situation.

I also want to mention that as a BinBla!Marcus enjoyer, I cannot endorse the Critical skill on a Jeigan-y character.

MVtrOz0.png

[HP 120% | Str 80% | Mag 2% | Skl 45% | Spd 40% | Lck 40% | Def 40% | Res 10%]
Skills: Pursuit, Accost, Charm
Minor Hezul blood

Beo!Dermott seems pretty good, honestly. Huge HP/Str growths at the cost of... nothing, really, since his Skl/Spd/Def growths are still perfectly solid. His bases are, in total, a bit lower than the sword twins', but that's entirely in his Skl and Spd, which are both perfectly fine in the axeland that we currently find ourselves in. Maybe his low-ish Spd base will be more relevant in the future, but if that's the case, it only means that passing the Speed Ring to him was the right call. And just in general, his item inheritance is giving him a lot of immediate power.

dO3Wql9.png

[HP 105% | Str 40% | Mag 20% | Skl 40% | Spd 55% | Lck 55% | Def 40% | Res 7%]
Skills: Pursuit, Accost
Weapon Level: Bows (A)
Minor Ullur blood

Overall less impressive than Dermott, but, I mean, Lester still comes with the Killer Bow and Brave Bow, and it's not as if his growths were bad. Might be a case of "if everybody is OP, a good unit almost seems underwhelming".

Still, ranged chip is always welcome, especially if it comes with a horse, and if Lester performs well in the arena (which he honestly should), that will alleviate the usual Early Archer problem of not gaining as much XP because they chip more often than take kills.

TgiAjkb.png__5mkSOFB.png

I think I can skip ahead through the fight vs. the second group of enemies, although I'll admit that I took an unnecessary risk with Seliph facing two axe users on enemy phase. The Knights wield Steel Axes, so they hit quite hard.

B2FmFDd.png

On the next turn, the group starting next to Harold also starts to move - a bit too late, honestly, since this leaves a bit of a gap between them and the previous enemies. It's Seliph's first fight, sure, but it's still the halfway point of th game as a whole, so the map could stand to put a bit of pressure on the player.

nwYh7ZR.png

With our reinforcements, we also get two more conversations:

ktxYoPs.png: "Oh, thank the gods, sire! You're safe!"
oJbpepn.png: "Oifey! Glad to see you made it back. What news of the rest of the world?"
ktxYoPs.png: "The Empire's grip is tightening still further, as if trying to choke life from the people. It's inciting doomed revolts all across Jugdral."
oJbpepn.png: "So it's as I thought... It isn't as if the Empire's tyranny would ever be limited to only Isaach... Oifey, is it feasible to assist them?"

Why do you want to assist the Empire's tyranny, Seliph...? (Yes, I know he's referring to the doomed revolts)

ktxYoPs.png: "Not as we presently stand, sire. We still lack the strength to properly challenge the Empire."
oJbpepn.png: "Then what of our present battle? The war for Isaach's freedom has already begun. Turning back now would be impossible..."
ktxYoPs.png: "Mm. There's certainly no chance of returning you to hiding, sire, ow that your whereabouts have been leaked. Starting the fight now was reckless, but we've no choice but to continue..."
oJbpepn.png: "Oifey, I'm sorry I let all of this happen behind your back, but we had no choice. Even so, I don't think I could have stood letting Isaach suffer under Dannan's thumb any longer. I trust you understand, Oifey."
ktxYoPs.png: "I do, sire. Now, our priority is to lay siege to Dannan's capital, Rivough, with all due haste. Dannan must fall before the Empire can send him reinforcements. We cannot afford to wait!"

--

T8gl84v.png: "Lana?! Don't tell me you're fighting, too!"
XOpNLUK.png: "I am, Lester. I simply couldn't bear to leave Lord Seliph to fight alone..."
T8gl84v.png: "Why am I not surprised... Look, I know I can't get you to leave, but just be careful, okay? It'd break Mother's heart if something happened to you out here."
XOpNLUK.png: "I know, but actually, there was something Mother told me... She told me that we owe the greatest of debts to the people of Isaach, and that if we can help them in any way, we owe it to them to do all we can."
T8gl84v.png: "Yeah, I guess she's right. I mean, we wouldn't even be here now if it wasn't for the help of the locals... ...So, er, where is Mother, anyway?"
XOpNLUK.png: "She's back in Tirnanog's abbey, working like always."
T8gl84v.png: "Right... Listen, Lana. We've got to give this battle our all, both in Mother's name and in the name of our lost father... Someday, I know, we'll finally be able to help Mother return to her home, Jungby..."
XOpNLUK.png: "You're right, Lester."

And here's the first mum who oficially survived the Battle of Belhalla. It will be three by the end of the chapter, although numbers 2 and 3 will have died before the events now unfolding.

I can understand why the mothers seem to have survived much more commonly from a Doylist point of view: Since the gen 1 males can potentially father any (variable) child, it's much easier to just kill them all than to consider every possible father/child relationship possible. Children can still hope that their fathers are still alive - the Battle of Belhalla was messy business - they just cannot actually find them.

fXT6h6a.png

Next group of enemies, the sword twins and Lana already fell too far behind for...

dALKOIE.png__zpUxNV2.png__k7jzukB.png

...but we're doing just fine without them. Without the Axe Armour and his especially high Atk, nobody has to worry about being two-shot here.

Fev3uuq.png

And strangely, one of the Bow Armours goes after Mr "17 Def". Hm. AI being random once again. The other one went after Ulster, so that's some more XP for the twins.

XCXHqCX.png

After this, the first Brigand starts looting. Turn 8, according to the wiki, with the other Brigands waiting until Seliph seizes Ganeishire.

2dDEu6h.png

Dermott goes to save it, while Oifey and Seliph prepare to fight Harold. The plan is for Lana to grab the money, since she might have trouble in that regard until she can go to the arena.

ymALe0E.png__3m5KAYC.png

For the boss kill, Seliph just parks in front of Harold after killing the last Knight - Lester one-rounded the first thanks to Accost, allowing Oifey to chip the second for Seliph. Had Seliph not dodged the Knight's counter, he could've cantered towards Lana to be Physic'ed.

i8SwVVc.png

...sigh. Reload.

qtqBjxw.png__h3qYedx.png

And with a little reshuffling (namely, Dermott killing the Brigand after the boss kill), Harold goes down and Seliph seizes.

BMzHK6U.png: "Oof! How... How could I fall to... a few motley soldiers...?"

vHVIZnC.png__gLCViR8.png

7GTi1W6.png: "Just Lewyn, Seliph... like I've always been. Silesse is just another Imperial conquest now... That's all it's been since the mess in Belhalla. And meanwhile, here I am, still living a pathetic, shameful life for all to see. At least my mother faced Silesse's demise, and her own, with pride and dignity! But me? Nope! I'm still just an idiot bard... Don't listen to what Oifey says of me, Seliph. Just, please... don't call me a king ever again!"
oJbpepn.png: "I... My apologies, Lewyn..."

You can just smell the alcohol in Lewyn's dialogue here.

7GTi1W6.png: "Heh, it's fine. Don't worry about it. More importantly, looks like you've finally got this revolution thing started! There's no place more fitting than Isaach to start fighting back against the Empire."
oJbpepn.png: "Indeed! The courage of Isaach's people is matched only by the pain and anger the Empire has inflicted upon them. All we're missing now is for Prince Shanan to return and join the fray himself."
7GTi1W6.png: "He ran off to follow some rumor, didn't he?"
oJbpepn.png: "Mm. Rumor has it his birthright as heir to the Isaach throne, the holy sword Balmung, is being kept in a shrine in the Yied Desert. As I understand it, the entire desert regino is ruled by an evil priest. I trust Shanan's might, but I cannot help but worry for his safety..."
7GTi1W6.png: "Eh, if anyone can do it, it'll be Shanan. Actually, Seliph, I've a favor to ask of you."
oJbpepn.png: "Oh? If it is within my power, I'll gladly help. What is it?"

KjtFcBW.png

7GTi1W6.png: "Since then I've been looking after her in a hidden little corner of Silesse, at least until we had to get out a while back as the Empire set about tightening its grip. The thing is, I've got things that need doing over in Leonster, and at this point she's just slowing me down. I hate to impose on you, Seliph, but I don't have much of a choice. Could I just leave her with your group for a while? I still don't know what happened to her, but it must've been pretty awful. Poor thing. Back when I first found her, she couldn't remember a thing about what happened. It looks like she still can't..."
oJbpepn.png: "I see... Very well. You can trust me with her, Lewyn. However, I must ask that you return for her as soon as possible. She likely won't feel too comfortable in an army of strangers."
7GTi1W6.png: "Deal. Heh, I'll probably be back here by the time you've finished freeing Isaach. Good luck, Seliph."
oJbpepn.png: "May the gods be with you as well, Lewyn!"

uyFBMUG.png

oJbpepn.png: "Listen, Julia... I know it'll be hard for you without Lewyn here, but I promise you'll be alright. Until Lewyn returns, I swear I'll let no harm come to you... I know I've still much to learn, and as yet I'm not all that strong... But one day... Someday, I know I'll be strong enough to protect us all! Someday, I'll have the strength to defend al the world's people from the Empire's wrath! Someday, I'll be strong, as my father once was..."
jLlPiBe.png: "Seliph..."

EQMuqB8.png

New unit!

JA9bwGv.png

[HP 90% | Str 10% | Mag 100% | Skl 20% | Spd 30% | Lck 30% | Def 10% | Res 50%]
Skills: Pursuit, Adept, Nihil
Weapon Level: Light (*), Staves (B)
Major Naga blood, Minor Vala blood

bvT5t1g.png

HMMMM... Did Azel and Deirdre have a fling behind everybody's back?! (really, though, it's interesting - not necessarily "good" or "bad" - that the interface tells you immediately and very precisely whose daughter Julia is.)

Anyway - Julia as a unit seems very lilina, although double Holy Blood makes sure that she at least sports a good HP growth, too. I know that Julia will get kaga'ed like her mother did, but also that she'll both stick along for longer and return for the end of endgame, so she should have an easier time finding something productive to do than Deirdre did.

Obviously, no horse etc., but at least Julia'll have staves to gain levels and the arena to gain some funds. I don't think her stat line is particularly good for the latter, though, especially with how heavy Aura is. Unlike Deirdre, she also doesn't have the Circlet to provide her with the Miracle skill.

ImXrBbg.png

Also, don't.

(Well, if it wasn't for Jealosy shenanigans, I wouldn't have minded this little detail too much. Seliph, paralleling his dad, is head over heel for this white-haired mystical girl... but I presume they'll learn in the not-too-distant future that they're half-siblings, so this never goes anywhere. I probably would've preferred if their love points would remain static and then immediatly go to zero after they learn of their relations, but this is still a 4 at most on the degeneracy scale between 1 and Fates)

At the start of enemy phase, we go back to Dannan:

DSYhhos.png: "The rebels have taken over Ganeishire? Gah! Harold, you moron! What in the blazes are my sons doing? Somebody, tell them to take the rebels down! Now!"

fpdj2K6.png

LO2fTT8.png__cnh0kMj.png

vdicW15.png: "But I could never lay so much as a finger on Larcei, even if she is among my foes... Ahh... What a dilemma standing before me..."

Roger-Roger.

Mo0UXcS.png

The remaining bandits take this as a cue to start looting. Kaga really has no mercy here, setting these villages ablaze before you can even start to do anything about it. However, what he graciously does provide us with are two new units to face these brigands with:

djqIujP.png__uhc5blf.png

A9qGoEr.png: "Phew! Sorry, Mahnya! I know a load like this isn't easy on you."

(note: Mahnya the Pegasus does slow down before finally halting and dropping a Mage)

HHu0HSc.png: "Hah! Mahnya? Is that really what you call your pegasus?"
A9qGoEr.png: "Oh, pipe down Arthur. I don't care if we're nearly there, 'cause I'll still just dump you if you don't shut it!"
HHu0HSc.png: "Er, right. Sorry about that. Say, Fee, I don't have too far to go. If you want, I can just walk from here."
A9qGoEr.png: "Where are you off to, anyway?"
HHu0HSc.png: "Oh, just Alster."
A9qGoEr.png: "A-Alster?! Geez, you're dumber than I thought! Alster's waaay south of here. There's an entire sea in the way, for crying out loud! I dunno what you're thinking, but you haven't got a hope in heck of walking the rest of the way there!"
HHu0HSc.png: "Eh, it's fine. I'm hardly in a hurry."
A9qGoEr.png: "So, er, why do you need to go to Alster?"
HHu0HSc.png: "Oh, see, I've got a sister I haven't seen in years who might be there. She and my mom were taken away when I was just a kid. I was sort of left alone in some far corner of Silesse or another. I just heard a rumor, but at this point even a rumor's enough if it means I might find her."
A9qGoEr.png: "Huh, really? Y'know, I know just what that's like. My big brother's been missing for ages."
HHu0HSc.png: "Did you get separated from him as well?"
A9qGoEr.png: "Oh no, nothing that bad. We've always lived together in Silesse, but a while back he ran off to try and find our dad."
HHu0HSc.png: "Your father, huh?"
A9qGoEr.png: "Yeah, he's been missing for years. Mom spent the rest of her life waiting for him to come back, but he never did..."
HHu0HSc.png: "What happened to her?"
A9qGoEr.png: "She... She's dead. Illness..."
HHu0HSc.png: "Oh, er... Sorry about that. I shouldn't have brought it up..."
A9qGoEr.png: "It's okay, I mean, you've already brought up lots of things that you shouldn't have. Heh, kidding. You're actually not that bad."
HHu0HSc.png: "Heh heh, thanks. And thanks for giving me a chance and letting me come along."
A9qGoEr.png: "No problem! So was the sister thing real? Is that actually why you're traveling?"
HHu0HSc.png: "Yeah, it's real! But what about you? What's your deal?"
A9qGoEr.png: "Actually, I kinda want to join that Isaachian rebel army. When I was little, mom told me stories about the paladin Sigurd and his brave allies, and those have always meant a lot to me. Lately I've been hearing about how Sigurd's son's somwhere in Isaach, raising a revolution. And it all just sort of clicked, y'know? I knew that's where I need to be, so I just ran right out of home to try and find him."
HHu0HSc.png: "Wow... That's pretty great of you. Y'know, I think I'll help you out here for a while. It's the least I can do for you putting up with me."
A9qGoEr.png: "Okay! Partners it is, then! Good luck out there... partner!"
HHu0HSc.png: "Heh! Upbeat as ever, aren't you?"

Long conversation, huh. But I can rationalise that pretty easily by seeing it as the two talking while still flying - bonus points because that makes it sound like Fee is threatening to push Arthur off the pegasus at the start.

And I overall enjoyed the ribbing between the two - mostly friendly, but with Fee sounding much more annoyed when Arthur makes fun of her Pegasus's name. It's a nice detail that Fee won't let him disrespect the name of her aunt.

A1JqAgN.png

[HP 85% | Str 25% | Mag 30% | Skl 30% | Spd 45% | Lck 45% | Def 40% | Res 35%]
Skills: Pursuit
Weapon Level: Swords (B), Lances (B)
Minor Bragi blood

To be honest, it does show that Fee is the (mostly, for now) physical daughter of a magic dad and a mum who doesn't have the most amazing growths herself. Fee has the lowest Str base of any physical unit we've gotten thus far, not to mention her really bad growth. The Brave Lance is going to help her a lot, but Claud as her father really is an investment into her post-promotion future.

It's a bit disappointing that Claud still only gives her a single point of Mag. If we're just looking for magic sword usage, Azel definitely would've been better here (two points on average if he's trained, not to mention a much better 45% growth rate) - although I've been told in this thread that the additional Res from Claude is likely to come in handy for her, too.

xbFHTKJ.png

[HP 130% | Str 15% | Mag 40% | Skl 85% | Spd 110% | Lck 45% | Def 25% | Res 15%]
Skills: Adept, Critical, Wrath
Weapon Level: Fire (C), Thunder (B), Wind (*)
Major Forseti blood, Minor Tordo blood

Giving the Pursuit band to Leif means that Arthur lacks some consistency, but he still seems pretty darn powerful nonetheless. With Forseti, he has a 46% chance to proc Adept and a 20% chance to crit, both rapidly increasing as he levels up his Skl and Spd, and once Leif promotes, I don't know if there's any better candidate to take over the Pursuit Band anyway.

--

But that is it for now. I'll repeat the question who people prefer - Roger or Roger. Apparently, that choice also determines what tome Julia can get during this map: Aura if we get Roger, or Nosferatu if we get Roger instead. I don't really have an opinion on that, either - I simply don't know how much of a thing Nos-tanking is in Genealogy, or if the big power from Aura is more valuable.

The Team:

Lv.	  HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res  Funds  XP    
Seliph	  4.81	  34  11   1  10  11  14   9   1  4156   +381
Ulster	  4.16	  34  13   1  15  13   5  11   0  11534  +316
Larcei	  3.76	  34  11   0  16  15  12   7   0  11534  +276

Oifey	  15.26*  40  16   9  17  16   8  17   8  5000   +26
Dermott	  4.52	  33  13   0  10   8  11  10   0  3932   +152
Lester	  2.40	  30  10   1   8  10   9   9   0  3683   +140

Lana	  2.45	  30   3   9   8  10  10   2   7  3683   +145
Julia	  1.00	  24   0  11   8  11   5   3  14  2000   --

Fee	  2.00	  28   9   1   9  15   4   8   9  6402   --
Arthur	  2.00	  32   0  11  10  11  11   2   6  6393   --

On 3/25/2024 at 5:46 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

At least in other games they recolor the hair as well. This game just has seven of the same guy wearing different capes.

A6q6jri.png

How could you forgot this very memorable boss, Whatshisface?

20 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I am, once again, for the first time, formally requesting pink-haired Leif.

mR1w8ug.pngoxMuy9v.pngtPHo5w4.png

I can offer these - all done, I believe, when Toothpaste-chan was confirmed to be real.

4 minutes ago, ping said:

T4TbOoe.png

His second son, Johan, rules Isaach Castle, while his youngest, Johalvier, rules Sophara. And the remote Ganeishire region is governed by Dannan's trusted confidant, General Harold. Under their rule, Isaach knows no freedom...

I know I've made the joke once or twice already, but gee, I wonder which of these are playable and which are the bossmen.

7 minutes ago, ping said:

rTLo2d2.png__prCRU1s.png

Speaking of Roger-Roger - any preferences? I honestly don't care too much - if I recall, Johan doesn't really have the same power that Lex had, while Johalvier has better combat (well, I don't have to "recall" anything here, the base stats are right there) but the bad ol' "No Horse" syndrome.

Personally, I prefer Johalvier. It's tempting to assume it's just because I like bad units more, but it comes down to their recruitment convos. Both of them are shackled by the shitty stalker characterization, but Johalvier shows signs of being a decent person in his recruitment. Johan's a pervert asshole character through and through and there's basically nothing else to him. Also, Johalvier's green. Green's good.

8 minutes ago, ping said:

eCKCk52.png

[HP 100% | Str 40% | Mag 5% | Skl 50% | Spd 30% | Lck 40% | Def 30% | Res 10%]
Skills: Pursuit, Critical
Weapon Level: Swords (A), Lances (B)
Minor Baldur blood

The Jeigan that is apparently so strong that he had a sub-archetype named after him. Although that might just be indicative of the FE fandom's compulsion to create a million small boxes to sort characters into.

That said, Oifey does seem very competent, with his stand-out bases being his Def and (to a lesser extend; Paladin has a class base of 5) Mag. His growths are reminiscent of gen 1 characters - almost identical to Alec if he had minor Baldur blood himself, actually - so I still expect child characters with their inflated growths to surpass him eventually, but maybe this is a BlaBla!Marcus situation that Oifey finds himself in. Just not a Seth situation.

I also want to mention that as a BinBla!Marcus enjoyer, I cannot endorse the Critical skill on a Jeigan-y character.

The really funny thing about Oifey is that he's not even an Oifey. He seems like an Oifey, with competent stats and growths, but that's all in a vaccuum. In the average FE4 gen 2 run, each child will be able to kill armies by themselves, and Oifey quickly becomes too mundane for keep up. He falls off harder than most Jeigans lmao

Still, if you do want to use him, he keeps up decently well. Really, his problem is that the army around him is just obscene, and even in a sub run, he can't really compare to the likes of the other static units or even some subs like Hawke.

9 minutes ago, ping said:

oJbpepn.png: "So it's as I thought... It isn't as if the Empire's tyranny would ever be limited to only Isaach... Oifey, is it feasible to assist them?"

Why do you want to assist the Empire's tyranny, Seliph...? (Yes, I know he's referring to the doomed revolts)

Proper wording is important, Selyboy.

10 minutes ago, ping said:

And here's the first mum who oficially survived the Battle of Belhalla. It will be three by the end of the chapter, although numbers 2 and 3 will have died before the events now unfolding.

I can understand why the mothers seem to have survived much more commonly from a Doylist point of view: Since the gen 1 males can potentially father any (variable) child, it's much easier to just kill them all than to consider every possible father/child relationship possible. Children can still hope that their fathers are still alive - the Battle of Belhalla was messy business - they just cannot actually find them.

The Aideen thing is just weird though. Other Belhalla survivors do things. Aideen does nothing. She's alive because... she's alive. I don't know why actually. Did Kaga just feel merciful for her magnificent locks or what?

11 minutes ago, ping said:

You can just smell the alcohol in Lewyn's dialogue here.

Get used to the stench.

11 minutes ago, ping said:

oJbpepn.png: "Mm. Rumor has it his birthright

lmao. Well that's a random gag, but I like it.

12 minutes ago, ping said:

ImXrBbg.png

Also, don't.

(Well, if it wasn't for Jealosy shenanigans, I wouldn't have minded this little detail too much. Seliph, paralleling his dad, is head over heel for this white-haired mystical girl... but I presume they'll learn in the not-too-distant future that they're half-siblings, so this never goes anywhere. I probably would've preferred if their love points would remain static and then immediatly go to zero after they learn of their relations, but this is still a 4 at most on the degeneracy scale between 1 and Fates)

Let's not forget that this was a bug. I think. Uhh... I seem to recall people discovered this ship was a bug? Or maybe Kaga just considered it a feature. Eh, who cares.

14 minutes ago, ping said:

But that is it for now. I'll repeat the question who people prefer - Roger or Roger. Apparently, that choice also determines what tome Julia can get during this map: Aura if we get Roger, or Nosferatu if we get Roger instead. I don't really have an opinion on that, either - I simply don't know how much of a thing Nos-tanking is in Genealogy, or if the big power from Aura is more valuable.

For the record, there's a way to get both. They're gotten when you seize whichever castle turns on you when you recruit one of the brothers. The others turn green, so you can't seize the castle... Unless a certain group of enemies seize it, then you can seize it back from them and get Julia both her tomes. I believe that's how it went? Your call if that's too tedious to do or not.

...Also I don't remember which Roger gave which tome lmao, though I think nosferatu's probably better. Probably.

18 minutes ago, ping said:

They both suck - Lex is good because of the Brave Axe (and to a lesser extent Paragon and minor Neir), but he died with it, presumably.  I don't care which one you get, just make sure that...

19 minutes ago, ping said:

Anyway - Julia as a unit seems very lilina, although double Holy Blood makes sure that she at least sports a good HP growth, too. I know that Julia will get kaga'ed like her mother did, but also that she'll both stick along for longer and return for the end of endgame, so she should have an easier time finding something productive to do than Deirdre did.

...you get Nosferatu (or Resire if it's still called that) for Julia, instead of Aura.  Nosferatu Julia is great in the next chapter in particular, Aura Julia is like Lilina if she had 0 base speed.  You have to conquer the correct castle (Isaach, I think) first - it doesn't actually matter which one of the Rogers you recruit, but it's a little more straightforward if you're attacking Isaach.

25 minutes ago, ping said:

Maybe I should read the whole thing first.  Nostaking is good (including in the arena, which is really helpful for getting Julia promoted), and comes in handy next chapter, too.  Neither Roger will do anything noteworthy.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know I've made the joke once or twice already, but gee, I wonder which of these are playable and which are the bossmen.

Ol' squinty-eyes looks more constipated than evil, but yeah. Ugly people are evil and don't deserve to live, that is clearly the true message Fire Emblem propagates, not some trite about friendship 'n junk.

Obligatory Katie Tiedrich.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The Aideen thing is just weird though. Other Belhalla survivors do things. Aideen does nothing. She's alive because... she's alive. I don't know why actually. Did Kaga just feel merciful for her magnificent locks or what?

He already had plans for Eyvel and felt bad about killing the other twin? *shrug*

And while I wouldn't actually want Aideen to be playable in gen2, the thought of her, after a rather under-the-radar first generation, turning up as a Lv.30 one-woman army in chapter 6 is rather amusing.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Let's not forget that this was a bug. I think. Uhh... I seem to recall people discovered this ship was a bug? Or maybe Kaga just considered it a feature. Eh, who cares.

I don't remember when I first read about jealousy, certainly before it was confirmed to be a bug, but at no point had I ever doubted that it's anything but a bug. The specifics are just way too random ("love growth is transferred along a line of girls, but only if they stand in order according to this list, oh, and the list changes if you never reset the game while playing...") to be deliberate. I'm not accusing Kaga of pushing incest memes (not in this specific case, anyway), but I would've preferred if the incest memers had one less meme to meme with. Obnoxious stuff.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For the record, there's a way to get both. They're gotten when you seize whichever castle turns on you when you recruit one of the brothers. The others turn green, so you can't seize the castle... Unless a certain group of enemies seize it, then you can seize it back from them and get Julia both her tomes. I believe that's how it went? Your call if that's too tedious to do or not.

...Also I don't remember which Roger gave which tome lmao, though I think nosferatu's probably better. Probably.

7 minutes ago, RPGuy96 said:

...you get Nosferatu (or Resire if it's still called that) for Julia, instead of Aura.  Nosferatu Julia is great in the next chapter in particular, Aura Julia is like Lilina if she had 0 base speed.  You have to conquer the correct castle (Isaach, I think) first - it doesn't actually matter which one of the Rogers you recruit, but it's a little more straightforward if you're attacking Isaach.

Interesting. I think I'll do as is probably intended and only get Nosferatu, then. I believe the straightforward method would be to recruit Johalvier (who's repping Sophara) and kill Johan (Isaach), which would also go along with Ruben's mild preference. So unless somebody has really strong feelings about this, that's probably how I'm going to go about it.

14 minutes ago, ping said:

Ol' squinty-eyes looks more constipated than evil, but yeah.

That's true, but he's also showed up what, four times already?

...Though to be honest, the idea of Kaga using John Diarrhea seven times and then giving you a playable one with no warning sounds absolutely fantastic.

15 minutes ago, ping said:

I don't remember when I first read about jealousy, certainly before it was confirmed to be a bug, but at no point had I ever doubted that it's anything but a bug. The specifics are just way too random ("love growth is transferred along a line of girls, but only if they stand in order according to this list, oh, and the list changes if you never reset the game while playing...") to be deliberate.

To be fair, it's not that out there when you consider some of Kaga's later insanity.

15 minutes ago, ping said:

Interesting. I think I'll do as is probably intended and only get Nosferatu, then. I believe the straightforward method would be to recruit Johalvier (who's repping Sophara) and kill Johan (Isaach), which would also go along with Ruben's mild preference. So unless somebody has really strong feelings about this, that's probably how I'm going to go about it.

Fair enough.

41 minutes ago, ping said:

YcaippA.png

I guess the hair is supposed to make Celice look like Shanan, but he does end up resemble Lakche more.
In any case, seeing his appearance being so obviously shaped by the country he grew up in is a wonderful touch.

42 minutes ago, ping said:

CAoOIZb.png: "Ugh, Ulster! Why so surprised? Did you really think our little hideout wouldn't be found out sooner or later? Let them come, I say! It only makes the battle easier for us! It'll be the easiest thing to just walk right over Ganeishire and pick them off as we go!"

Wait, her brother is Ulster? I thought that was Lester's name.

44 minutes ago, ping said:

She does seem to have the better promotion - Ulster's Hero class gains a few points of magic, which he still won't be able to use very well, while Larcei's Swordmaster class gives her more Spd, more Skl, and an additional proc still in Adept.

Her substitute is also different in that she becomes a Forrester instead of a Swordmaster.

46 minutes ago, ping said:

Baby Sigurd. Seliph's stats really are quite reminiscent of his dad's, albeit with significantly better HP, Mag and Res growth thanks to his Naga blood, and without the stat boost Sigurd gets from starting in his (and Seliph's) promoted class. If you add Seliph's promotion bonuses, his bases are actually quite close to Sigurd's - but of course, it's a long way to both Tipperary and to Lv.20.

He also should have 3 Leadership stars instead of 2. Normally there is a bug that results in Celice only getting his 3rd leadership star after you saved and loaded the game (and potentially losing it permanently if you clear the map without ever loading). But I think this one is fixed in this patch.

That being said, you might still want to save and reload the game. All kinds of weird things happen if you go from one chapter to the next and then simply never load a save. And I have to imagine this patch doesn't fix all of them.

Normally you would probably do plenty of loading for the arena anyway. But there is no arena in chapter 6, so I feel an explicit warning is in order here.

52 minutes ago, ping said:

Johalvier by default, since he has a bit more going on then just being a simp.

As units, they are both a letdown. The Hero Axe is dropped on this map, but they are both so statistically underwhelming that it's really not enough to fix them.
They are also at a really awkward level too. Too high to grow all that fast, but still far away from their class change.
And they won't do well in the arena. Those last 8 levels will come sloooooowly.

56 minutes ago, ping said:

kTPErk9.png

We also can take a look at King Dannan already - pretty significant increase in power compared to his lackeys (or his sons). If only we had somebody with a weapon that deals a lot of damage against armoured units...

He is obviously never going to use that Thief Sword. Though I suppose it would it would be a fun troll move if he did. For the record, enemies can in fact steal from you. Don't let the fact that you fought a Thief Fighter in Chapter 5 lure you into a false sense of security. It just that it won't work in the arena.

Anyway, the reason he has that sword is because he will drop it if the Thief Sword was not passed down to the 2nd generation. As I said, almost any item not passed down will either find it's way into the shop or will be dropped by someone. So if you see a boss with a weird item, that's probably why it's there.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Of course this was back when people thought FE7 Marcus was terrible, so... don't be too surprised that he won't be quite as good as the likes of Marcus.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Every unit in Binding Blade has that skill by default, including Marcus. So it's not like this is really any different here.

1 hour ago, ping said:

CAoOIZb.png: "Ulster! You swore you'd never say awful things like that! Mom is alive! ALIVE! I'm sure of it! Don't you dare say otherwise ever again!"

It does feel farfetched to imagine that Ayra could possibly have survived. She is the only mother who adamantly refuses to leave with the children. Considering this, most of the other ones likely weren't even around for the battle. At least if they actually got married.

But maybe more importantly, surviving would have required her to actually run at some point. And she was also rather adamant that she would fight with Sigurd to the bitter end.
And I have to imagine that this kind of backstabbing would also have really pissed her off. Especially after what happened to the king of Isaac. Running after witnessing this Grandbellian cowardice with her own eyes? Probably not.

There is a good chance that's why her brother put her in charge of protecting Shanan in the first place. After all, he knew the war was hopeless. So if Ayra would fight, she would die too.
She would never have listened to being told to stay away from the battlefield for her own safety. But giving her the important task of securing Issac's future by protecting his son, the prince of Isaac? She couldn't have said No to that.

I have to imagine Briggid likely fought to the bitter end too. In the context of FE4, there is really no indication given that she might have survived. And she clearly has a chip on her shoulder about being the heir of Ulir.

48 minutes ago, ping said:

I'm late, but yet I agree with what has already been said and get whoever makes it easier/less slow to get him and Nosferatu.

I liked having Julia Nostank on my one FE4 run, even if it took a little RNG to initially get rolling. However, Genealogy only has so much fodder to spectacularly slaughter. You might not find room for holy leeching fun.

1 hour ago, ping said:

I like how almost immediately, Dannan is (a) worried about the "authority of the Isaachian throne!" and (b) worried that daddy Arvis will be mad at him.

I hazard that sometimes, even the most illegitimate of dynasties -and I'm sure the Issachans see the descendants of Neir as nothing less than the Bull****Dozer Dynasty- is on some level concerned with the appearance of legitimacy. And -also making sure their masters higher up the imperial chain aren't angry at them, else they lose their petty thrones to somebody else.

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I guess the hair is supposed to make Celice look like Shanan, but he does end up resemble Lakche more.
In any case, seeing his appearance being so obviously shaped by the country he grew up in is a wonderful touch.

I hadn't thought about those similarities, but yeah, I do like that.

13 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Wait, her brother is Ulster? I thought that was Lester's name.

Ulster = Scáthach, yeah. I assume that Awakening changed the name because Scáthach is a female mythological figure - but because there's already an Ulster (Alster in Project Naga) district, that's really a first grade Verschlimmbesserung. "Worsening-improvement" for the non-Germans

17 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Her substitute is also different in that she becomes a Forrester instead of a Swordmaster.

Geez, the sword twin substitutes really have it rough. I've seen that Creidne has an obscure event to improve her stats, but they overall seem especially bad compared to their counterparts. Larcei and Ulster are even among the easiest kids to find a good dad for, since they both basically want the same things.

22 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

He also should have 3 Leadership stars instead of 2. Normally there is a bug that results in Celice only getting his 3rd leadership star after you saved and loaded the game (and potentially losing it permanently if you clear the map without ever loading). But I think this one is fixed in this patch.

He does, yeah. Pretty nice to get that extra +10 hit/avo compared to Sigurd, plus the same if you stack Dermott's aura, right away.

Thanks for the warning, too. Since I never play a chapter in a single sitting for this project, I should be safe, but it's good to know for an eventual replay.

25 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It does feel farfetched to imagine that Ayra could possibly have survived. She is the only mother who adamantly refuses to leave with the children. Considering this, most of the other ones likely weren't even around for the battle. At least if they actually got married.

Ayra absolutely seems like the gen 1 woman the least likely to escape Belhalla.

Larcei's main character trait thus far seems to be that she hides her vulnerabilities behind this combative, overconfident façade, so I read her insistence on Ayra's survival as an example of that - she is unable to accept her mother's death, and lashes out if somebody brings it up.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I hazard that sometimes, even the most illegitimate of dynasties -and I'm sure the Issachans see the descendants of Neir as nothing less than the Bull****Dozer Dynasty- is on some level concerned with the appearance of legitimacy. And -also making sure their masters higher up the imperial chain aren't angry at them, else they lose their petty thrones to somebody else.

Yeah, you're right about that. I'd even say that especially the most illegitimate of dynasties are going to be desperate to convince everyone that their being on top is the correct order of being. If it's consensus that the head honcho is only the head honcho because he happened to win a power struggle, that's basically an open invitation for anybody with the means necessary to reopen that struggle.

--

Nice to see that the answer to the Roger question seems to be that the more convenient option to get Nosferatu also happens to yield the universally preferred Roger :lol:

3 hours ago, ping said:

Also, don't.

At the start of enemy phase, we go back to Dannan:

Probably not intended, since it will reset to 0 if you load a save.

Might have something to do with Celice and Julia also replacing their parents in the game's memory. So maybe he has those points, because his dad would have had them. Just like how Celice keeps Sigurd's 2 leadership stars in an unpatched game until you load a game.

3 hours ago, ping said:

A9qGoEr.png: "Oh no, nothing that bad. We've always lived together in Silesse, but a while back he ran off to try and find our dad."
HHu0HSc.png: "Your father, huh?"
A9qGoEr.png: "Yeah, he's been missing for years. Mom spent the rest of her life waiting for him to come back, but he never did..."

Considering how much their father explicitly ties into Fee and Sety's story, I do have to wonder if Levin x Fury was at one point predetermined.
Running away from his family is kinda Levin's thing. No way Arden would ever do something like that, considering his low movement.

Granted, the dialog here does not actually change even for the substitutes.

3 hours ago, ping said:

To be honest, it does show that Fee is the (mostly, for now) physical daughter of a magic dad and a mum who doesn't have the most amazing growths herself. Fee has the lowest Str base of any physical unit we've gotten thus far, not to mention her really bad growth. The Brave Lance is going to help her a lot, but Claud as her father really is an investment into her post-promotion future.

Also the Berserk Sword. Don't actually know how the AI really behaves in this game when berserked. Never felt like trying, given the low activation rate of the swords.
And it's not like enemies ever use it against your units. Berserk is a tool solely available to the player here.

3 hours ago, ping said:

Giving the Pursuit band to Leif means that Arthur lacks some consistency, but he still seems pretty darn powerful nonetheless. With Forseti, he has a 46% chance to proc Adept and a 20% chance to crit, both rapidly increasing as he levels up his Skl and Spd, and once Leif promotes, I don't know if there's any better candidate to take over the Pursuit Band anyway.

Arthur is also another case where class matters are a bit different for the substitute. Arthur is a standard mage but Amid is a Wind Mage. Amid also becomes a Mage Fighter instead of a Mage Knight. Only way you get a playable male Mage Fighter in this game.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, it's not that out there when you consider some of Kaga's later insanity.

This reads more like an FE7 gaiden chapter requirement.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Ulster = Scáthach, yeah. I assume that Awakening changed the name because Scáthach is a female mythological figure - but because there's already an Ulster (Alster in Project Naga) district, that's really a first grade Verschlimmbesserung. "Worsening-improvement" for the non-Germans

If it comes down to them simply not wanting to use the name Scáthach, I imagine it might be more because people would read it as "scat".

4 hours ago, ping said:

mR1w8ug.pngoxMuy9v.pngtPHo5w4.png

I can offer these - all done, I believe, when Toothpaste-chan was confirmed to be real.

Oh, these... these are beautiful.

4 hours ago, ping said:

However, one last hope remains for Isaach. Tirnanog, an isolated village in Isaach's far north...

Interesting that Tirnanog is called an "isolated village", when they have their own castle. Perhaps it's just a design limitation, wherein the player's army has to start in a castle?

4 hours ago, ping said:

oJbpepn.png: "I cannot permit that, Lana! A cleric such as yourself is ill suited for such a battlefield."

RIP "Nuns and warfare do NOT mix!"

4 hours ago, ping said:

Midir as a father obviously isn't the greatest for Lana, leaving her with a worse Mag base than Aideen (13) and basically the same growth rate (30%). However, inheritance makes sure that she starts with (almost) all the good staves, so that lower Mag stat doesn't matter quite as much. Honestly, item inheritance seems the main reason why Lana is better than her substitute at all.

Yeah, even the worst Lana (uh, Chulainn!Lana I guess?) will be better than the best Mana. Getting stacked with Staves from the get-go is a huge deal, especially when she can't Arena her way into buying anything.

4 hours ago, ping said:

rTLo2d2.png__prCRU1s.png

Interestingly, in at least two regards, the brothers are "convergent". Johan has a much better Speed growth, while Johalvier's Skill growth is superior. Not that either stat is super-important to them, as they can neither double nor crit. That said, Johalvier will always be slightly ahead in HP, Strength, and Defense, while the other stats... who even cares?

Between the two of them... yeah, I'll go to bat for Johalvier. He's the only playable Axe infantry in the game, and one of a handful of units to gain access to the Bow Arena. With Johan, you get "Lex, but worse". With Johalvier, you get something entirely unique and novel. The higher movement and Cantoer that comes from having a horse? Who needs it! At the end of the day, though, either one is usable. Not great, not even "good", really, but perfectly usable.

4 hours ago, ping said:

kTPErk9.png

Dannan's presence makes a big statement about the "power creep" in Gen II. He's basically on-par with Chapter 3 Chagall (also a level 25 Baron), but Chagall shows up halfway through the generation, rather than in the very first chapter.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Me, hyping up Oifey to non-FE4 players: "You don't understand! This guy is so good, he can double AND crit!"

I like the BlaBla-Marcus comparison. That sounds about right. Legit the best unit in your army when you get him, and pretty much always relevant. As for later on, I'll let you be the judge of his performance.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Fev3uuq.png

And strangely, one of the Bow Armours goes after Mr "17 Def". Hm. AI being random once again. The other one went after Ulster, so that's some more XP for the twins.

"That wasn't very Clever-Mode of you, kid."

4 hours ago, ping said:

7GTi1W6.png: "Since then I've been looking after her in a hidden little corner of Silesse, at least until we had to get out a while back as the Empire set about tightening its grip. The thing is, I've got things that need doing over in Leonster, and at this point she's just slowing me down.

Oh boy, I can't wait for Lewyn to totally be involved and relevant in all the stuff that's happening in Thracia around the year 776!

4 hours ago, ping said:

LO2fTT8.png__cnh0kMj.png

vdicW15.png: "But I could never lay so much as a finger on Larcei, even if she is among my foes... Ahh... What a dilemma standing before me..."

At first, this sounds like a morally conflicted statement. But it's actually a subtle acknowledgement of the weapon triangle, and the relative merits of their weapon types. The brothers can't fight Larcei, not for lack of trying, but because their Hit rate is too low.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to recruit either brother and still have Isaach Castle turn red. Since it's poorly-guarded, and directly between Rivough and your own army. Either way, you definitely want to retake Isaach Castle for the Nosferatu. Aura weighs Julia down so much that she literally gets doubled by Fenrir Dark Bishops. Yes, somehow, Aura and Fenrir both have 20 Weight.

...I am curious: has anyone actually gotten both tomes before? I know that it's possible to get both castles to turn red, and then re-Seize them. But does that actually enable Seliph and Julia to have the same conversation twice? I assumed that, once you have the conversation, it won't happen again. Hm, might be a thing to try in my current playthrough...

4 hours ago, RPGuy96 said:

They both suck - Lex is good because of the Brave Axe (and to a lesser extent Paragon and minor Neir), but he died with it, presumably.  I don't care which one you get, just make sure that...

Not a strong case here. Lex doesn't get the Brave Axe until basically the end of chapter 1, and he's still pretty good before that. If he died with it, the game doesn't seem to acknowledge it, because Schmidt drops the very same Brave Axe before the chapter ends. I like to challenge myself to have Johan or Johalvier land the finishing blow, so they don't have to buy it. No, the only thing Johan doesn't have, that Lex does, is Paragon. That, and blue hair.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

He is obviously never going to use that Thief Sword. Though I suppose it would it would be a fun troll move if he did. For the record, enemies can in fact steal from you. Don't let the fact that you fought a Thief Fighter in Chapter 5 lure you into a false sense of security. It just that it won't work in the arena.

Enemy Thieves are super underutilized in this game. I think you only fight, like, one of them in the field. It's Radiant Dawn, all over again, for the very first time. At the very least, the Orgahill Pirate Squad should've included a couple Thieves among their ranks.

3 hours ago, ping said:

Geez, the sword twin substitutes really have it rough. I've seen that Creidne has an obscure event to improve her stats, but they overall seem especially bad compared to their counterparts. Larcei and Ulster are even among the easiest kids to find a good dad for, since they both basically want the same things.

They were one of the cases where I gave a "C" grade - the worst possible - to the notion of leaving the mother unpaired. Ayra could marry a plank of wood, and the resulting kids would be better (in gameplay) than Creidne and Croddleban. Even a plank of wood wouldn't take their Nihil and Astra away.

3 hours ago, ping said:

Yeah, you're right about that. I'd even say that especially the most illegitimate of dynasties are going to be desperate to convince everyone that their being on top is the correct order of being. If it's consensus that the head honcho is only the head honcho because he happened to win a power struggle, that's basically an open invitation for anybody with the means necessary to reopen that struggle.

I've just been reading a book about the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, and... ooh, boy, does it make me think. Like, I'm not gonna say that "Grannvale is Nazi Germany, and Isaach is occupied Czechia", or anything exaggerated like that. But it really gave me a stark reminder of the horrors of occupation. An eerie peace founded upon terror.

...Incidentally, thinking of treacherous monsters like Emanuel Moravec and Karel Curda, I feel like there was a missed opportunity. Namely, including Isaachian collaborators. Either motivated by grievances against the old regime, or - more likely - simply the desire to prosper amidst a scene of suffering. Most of the country would be against them, of course, but it's hard to imagine that Dannan wouldn't try to recruit some local muscle. We don't fight any Isaachians, outside of Ayra herself, and... maybe Lamia's crew? She's a Swordmaster with black hair, so I'm assuming she might be Isaachian. It's hard to imagine House Dozel - one that already lost Rango and Slayder's forces, mind you - having enough manpower to not only hold all of Isaach, but also keep their own territory secure, on their own.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Arthur is also another case where class matters are a bit different for the substitute. Arthur is a standard mage but Amid is a Wind Mage. Amid also becomes a Mage Fighter instead of a Mage Knight. Only way you get a playable male Mage Fighter in this game.

Amid could've actually been kind of cool, if the game would give him access to Elwind. Even if he had to buy it, like Linda does with Thoron. But it doesn't show up until chapter 9, by which point, Arthur and Tinne can already be promoted. Thus totally undermining his "head start" in Wind magic rank.

...Of course, Lewyn!Arthur would still destroy him entirely, but that's its own story.