Anyone else think the non-kill criticals look better than the killing ones?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's homage to the GBA Sages for the non-killing critical.

I hope you guys have notice that I'M the guy that made it, right?

I knew when it said who made it I thought it sounded really familiar and was wondering "don't I know him?" xD

Some of the actual kills seem better than the non-kills =o

Edited by Agnaktor

Yeah, some do look better. Like I prefer Micaiah's killing critical over her non-killing. Glowy twirl is cool though, wish they'd just give you the option to randomize it. Seeing that they gave her unique animations (I always thought she just used the Bishop/Saint ones), wish they'd finished it by giving her a unique skill.

Have yet to see SD's attack styles, though everyone seems annoyed at how they did it. Heck, had a hard time finding ordinary pictures of the various classes. Are they colored based on the unit, like in the GBA ones, or are they just static based on the class and side they're on? Actually... probably not the best place to ask, got lost in my train of thought. :P

They're like the GBA series style of battle animations, only, the palettes don't change between units, like the original game. Their hair, however, does.

And people don't like the pre-rendered style. The pre-rendering isn't that bad... I personally don't find it bad; it's kinda funny, here they don't like it, but there's another Square-Enix DS game which looks pretty much the same in quality, is pre-rendered, and everyone says it was one of the best looking DS games out there. There's a translation patch out now for it which puts the text in English--can't remember the name of it though. Maybe it's just Fire Emblem fans in a tizzy.

Edited by Celice

Aww. I liked the color changing between units. Probably my favorite part of it all. Doesn't seem like it'd be overly difficult to implement, even with the reclass system. Probably the sheer number of them all that caused them not to go with it.

On second video

Lol Volke, Hit 1337 Damage (I'm guessing?) over 9000

If the crit 69 has significance then I don't get it though =b

Izuka's dark magic criticals look pretty awesome...

Off to 3!!!

EDIT: Ok finished that. Haha Dheginsea teaches his son a lesson for disobeying and slapping him XD

Edited by Agnaktor

Aww. I liked the color changing between units. Probably my favorite part of it all. Doesn't seem like it'd be overly difficult to implement, even with the reclass system. Probably the sheer number of them all that caused them not to go with it.

Maybe, but I mean, there's a lot of units in FE6 and that didn't stop them. I think it was more for the nostalgia factor... just like the awkward map design in many places. Like many of us, I think we would prefer them to have updated the palettes... D:

Yeah, Izuka makes me wish even more we had a true Dark Magic user. Presumably Druids third tier would look something like that, and if not, still happy with the Druid spellcasting animation. Oh well, hope we get them in the next one. Miss my heavy robed spellcasting guys. :)

Possibly. Not sure how many are in FE6 myself off the top of my head. But yeah, I'd rather have had a slightly more significant update. Still looks like fun, but that actually killed my desire for it just a bit.

Yes, Shadow Dragon's attacks are also... quite slow, I think °_°" and aren't as amazing as the gba ones. >_>

GBA was creative in their movements.

I think in the DS Fire Emblems, they tried going after the style of FE10... which, in watered down sprite form is actually pretty bleh.

Some people just liked the cartoony, exaggerated style more than the realism-style. Though most of these fans probably like that style not because the style, but because it was part of the package they got when they were first introduced to Fire Emblem--so it becomes the native default to compare to.

Though most of these fans probably like that style not because the style, but because it was part of the package they got when they were first introduced to Fire Emblem--so it becomes the native default to compare to.

That is probably the reason for me...

I got introduced to the series with FE6, primarily because of Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Heh, so long as the magic is flashy, I'm good. Really, SD sounds like fun... just had that unfortunate issue of lack of color swaps. It's small, but it goes a long way in personalizing units.

But I don't think I'd mind a more realistic FE, though I do find it kind of funny the FE with the most realism in it's movements is also the one where the most unrealistic events happen (by this, I mean like the final boss) and have the highest stats in the series.

Pretty sure he was asking for a link to said video, not if he could post it. :P

should be the one. It has links to the second and third part as well. Loved Sages, but never gotten them to perform one. :P Doesn't help the only enemies with enough health to not get killed by three attacks are oftentimes too high on the luck scale to get criticaled. But yeah, looked awesome. Wish they had done the six dots a bit faster, but not complaining, looks awesome. :) Also like how the killing critical for sages has a circle underneath like Shaman/Druids. Can't really tell with the way the angle is normally. Wish they had left the non-killing and killing the same, and just had the difference be the non-killing didn't use the glowy circle, and maybe the killing threw out the dots faster.

Thanks! The Druid ones are really neat! I never saw those before. (Izuka never laid the smack down) And whats with the normal peg knights having cooler animations than Falcon/Seraphs? I call shenanigans! I always loved their aerials though since the movements were the same as the GBA ones. Same with the pallies.

It's homage to the GBA Sages for the non-killing critical.

I hope you guys have notice that I'M the guy that made it, right?

I did notice. Good Jorb.

Of what I've seen I just got excited when Arch Sages deal critical hits and activate their mastery skill. I also think RD's criticals lack a bit of excitement, I mean...err...when I played PoR, I got cheered up when my units landed a critical hit, maybe because of the loud sound it made and the white-bluish splash on the enemy. LOL

I felt exactly the same thing with my first FE 10 critical.

(map animation)

I said Huh ? That's a crit ? why did they change a cool sounded animation to a common (?) one ?

Hmm... It's been a while since I'd last played PoR and so I had to look it up again and I forgot about how loud those were xD But I think since that broke before I got RD I think that's why I never really noticed that much of a difference.

Personally, I liked the critical sound in Radiant Dawn more.

In general, for the Battle Animations, I thought FE10 was better in terms of smoothness of movement and sound effects.

Better than the same dang sound over and over again when it wasn't an Occult skill in FE9. Felt as boring as FE8 on skill activations.

Yeah movement was definitely smoother.

Wasn't that the game where they started out making the armored units move so slow? Annoying but realistic xD

Oh man. FE9 Armored animations... OH MAN. I could read a book in the time it takes them to finish one battle. XD

Oh man. FE9 Armored animations... OH MAN. I could read a book in the time it takes them to finish one battle. XD

Oh so they were slow in FE9 too? xD I thought it wasn't till FE10 but maybe I'm just thinking of how far they make them have to walk sometimes in battle when they're gonna try hit you.

Oh so they were slow in FE9 too? xD I thought it wasn't till FE10 but maybe I'm just thinking of how far they make them have to walk sometimes in battle when they're gonna try hit you.

i only really felt they were slow in FE10, in FE 9 it was fine. FE10 though i could do all my chores, and then come back and see gatrie starting to hit an enemy lol.

Yeah I tend to get impatient pretty quickly this is why I prefer speedy units xD If I ever make characters (like in a story or something) I never make them the slow type of characters/warriors/whatever because I'd lose patience with my own character. And I also try to avoid using those types of units in FE games as well :lol: Though of course FERD just made it worse. More realistic, but worse.

Oh wait but are we veering off topic?

Uhh..... Criticals can take a long time as long as they look good =D

Edited by Agnaktor