Game of thrones season 2

Aizenberg

No Raff, we just get Polliver, really.

David and Dan have heavily suggested that they will hold off on casting the Reeds and the Tullys until Season 3 because it would be too hard to keep actors around with very small roles until they're needed much later. I mean, look how much time we're getting with Robb and Catelyn; it's short enough as it is, and it'd be even shorter if they'd kept the Tullys in. Tullys will be in next season, probably.

But the Reeds have a big role. They help take Bran away, after all. And there is no Reek too, so I suppose Ramsay Bolton will appear at some other time? The castellan died on Mikken's place, so there's no attack in Winterfell unless he starts it...

Also, they could've had more space if they didn't waste time with stupid scenes, such as Joffrey and the whores, Theon on the boat and Robb with Jeyne Westerlin (I think that's her).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thoroughly disliked the first season (or what I bothered to watch of it).Teeming to the brim with crappy actors/characters I don't care for or find interesting (never mind likable) in the least other than Mark Addy and Sean Bean, and wouldn't you know, both of them are killed off in short order! Go figure. The storyline is incoherent, convoluted, overly subplotted medieval hogwash replete with pointless injections of nudity (obviously to keep those who aren't fantasy enthusiasts, apologists, geeks or some equivalent, awake! SNORE) and dopey terminology. Filming is so pristine as if to pronounce it's nothing more than style over substance.

That said, I tried to watch the second season premiere (honest to God, I did!) and was bored extremely shitless. I haven't bothered since. By sheer comparison, this practically makes the first season seem as entertaining as your standard FE (even though I still think the first season is shit on its own or any other terms).

Sorry.........I don't understand the popularity. It doesn't help that I have kind of an innate aversion to what's made for TV in general. All the same, you can never polish a turd in the end. Polish........is just polish. It doesn't make poor content shine and it can't make me stay awake. *1/2 / ****

But the Reeds have a big role. They help take Bran away, after all. And there is no Reek too, so I suppose Ramsay Bolton will appear at some other time? The castellan died on Mikken's place, so there's no attack in Winterfell unless he starts it...

Also, they could've had more space if they didn't waste time with stupid scenes, such as Joffrey and the whores, Theon on the boat and Robb with Jeyne Westerlin (I think that's her).

Talisa Maegyr, not Jeyne, and all the Reeds do is tell Bran about some dreams and take him away. They can easily have Osha tak ehim out of Winterfell (oh wait, they already have) and then have the Reeds show up later, and do all the development stuff during Bran's travel chapters, because god help us, nothing happens then.

I thoroughly disliked the first season (or what I bothered to watch of it).Teeming to the brim with crappy actors/characters I don't care for or find interesting (never mind likable) in the least other than Mark Addy and Sean Bean, and wouldn't you know, both of them are killed off in short order! Go figure. The storyline is incoherent, convoluted, overly subplotted medieval hogwash replete with pointless injections of nudity (obviously to keep those who aren't fantasy enthusiasts, apologists, geeks or some equivalent, awake! SNORE) and dopey terminology. Filming is so pristine as if to pronounce it's nothing more than style over substance.

That said, I tried to watch the second season premiere (honest to God, I did!) and was bored extremely shitless. I haven't bothered since. By sheer comparison, this practically makes the first season seem as entertaining as your standard FE (even though I still think the first season is shit on its own or any other terms).

Sorry.........I don't understand the popularity. It doesn't help that I have kind of an innate aversion to what's made for TV in general. All the same, you can never polish a turd in the end. Polish........is just polish. It doesn't make poor content shine and it can't make me stay awake. *1/2 / ****

I'm not even going to bother with this...

I thoroughly disliked the first season (or what I bothered to watch of it).Teeming to the brim with crappy actors/characters I don't care for or find interesting (never mind likable) in the least other than Mark Addy and Sean Bean, and wouldn't you know, both of them are killed off in short order! Go figure. The storyline is incoherent, convoluted, overly subplotted medieval hogwash replete with pointless injections of nudity (obviously to keep those who aren't fantasy enthusiasts, apologists, geeks or some equivalent, awake! SNORE) and dopey terminology.

I would like to hear some of these incoherencies...

That being said, what people like about GoT is the convoluted plotline that follows many characters. After all, when exploring a huge fantasy world, it would rather be a waste to have the whole story follow (say) Jon.

David and Dan have heavily suggested that they will hold off on casting the Reeds and the Tullys until Season 3 because it would be too hard to keep actors around with very small roles until they're needed much later. I mean, look how much time we're getting with Robb and Catelyn; it's short enough as it is, and it'd be even shorter if they'd kept the Tullys in. Tullys will be in next season, probably.

Well, I actually don't know about that. I don't remember the overall system of "who's with who when" but I'm pretty sure that a lot of the scenes with Edmure and Brynden involve Robb, Kat, or both.

theyll most likely introduce ramsay snow in the season finale.

the writers have said that they're gonna put some of the characters from book 2 into season 3 like the reeds and wotever.

*1/2 / ****

yes

we came to this thread to hear your thoughts on a series it's generally agreed we like, at least enough to make a fucking thread for it

enlighten us, mighty leader

correct our ways

set us back on the path of watching my little pony and naruto

Well, I actually don't know about that. I don't remember the overall system of "who's with who when" but I'm pretty sure that a lot of the scenes with Edmure and Brynden involve Robb, Kat, or both.

IIRC Robb's army is chilling out at ... Riverrun? about now in the books, so yeah.

And that uncertainty was as to whatever Tullytopia is called, not as to my knowledge... although, that could be flawed as well.

yes

we came to this thread to hear your thoughts on a series it's generally agreed we like, at least enough to make a fucking thread for it

....i made the thread

....don't... don't steal my thunder

Talisa Maegyr, not Jeyne, and all the Reeds do is tell Bran about some dreams and take him away. They can easily have Osha tak ehim out of Winterfell (oh wait, they already have) and then have the Reeds show up later, and do all the development stuff during Bran's travel chapters, because god help us, nothing happens then.

They make Bran look better at Book 2, they gave him more importance than he had before (which is to say, his only importance was to sit the throne of his brother because someone has to sit in it), they made Bran look important and promissing. Leaving him be like a sitting duck in Season 2 was a mistake, in my opinion. But it's something that can be fixed on Season 3, I guess, if they don't just ignore Bran because there's no action and all talk in his chapters (save for a few). The staff could have fixed it if there were more chapters, imo.

I still think they could've had more space to put more important things if they didn't bother with un-important scenes like Theon and the chick, Robb and Talysa, Joffrey and the whores, Renly and Loras (wtf is that shit anyway), Stannis and Melisandre, and some other scenes I forgot right now.

I still think they could've had more space to put more important things if they didn't bother with un-important scenes like Theon and the chick, Robb and Talysa, Joffrey and the whores, Renly and Loras (wtf is that shit anyway), Stannis and Melisandre, and some other scenes I forgot right now.

I actually like most Renly and Loras scenes. Including the ones involving Margaery, since they kind of showed her as having a lot of ambition and whatnot. None of the other scenes were very interesting to meh.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to give a pass to the Renloras ones. Theon did not strictly speaking need to explain his political theory to the girl at the same time as he was fucking her, Stannis and Melisandre... I can see reasons for that existing (how is it revealed in the books that he's the demon shadow baby's father again?) and as for Littlefinger's brothel, well, was it really necessary for any past like three scenes to take place there? Catelyn enters, Ned enters and leaves and is crippled, Robert's bastard #76 is murdered. Done.

Stannis and Melisandre

Umm this one was kinda necessary to explain how Melisandre's shadow magic works anyway. Plus Brienne remarks on how the shadow looked like Stannis.

The business with Theon and that chick in the ship was unnecessary yes. This last episode actually shows part of the reason people are pissed at Joffrey is because of what he did to those whores. Bronn mentions it to Tyrion. Apparently word of that got out to the streets. So not ALL of the sexy time scenes are pointless. I also didnt mind the business with Renly and Loras. It certainly showcases the reason for Loras's loyalty. lol

The last two episodes have been pretty slim on the sex stuff. The thing with Osha and Theon was basically showing her dupe him pretty hard. Again, it seemed necessary on how she was tricking him. This last episode had no sex in it at all.

Umm this one was kinda necessary to explain how Melisandre's shadow magic works anyway. Plus Brienne remarks on how the shadow looked like Stannis.

The business with Theon and that chick in the ship was unnecessary yes. This last episode actually shows part of the reason people are pissed at Joffrey is because of what he did to those whores. Bronn mentions it to Tyrion. Apparently word of that got out to the streets. So not ALL of the sexy time scenes are pointless. I also didnt mind the business with Renly and Loras. It certainly showcases the reason for Loras's loyalty. lol

The last two episodes have been pretty slim on the sex stuff. The thing with Osha and Theon was basically showing her dupe him pretty hard. Again, it seemed necessary on how she was tricking him. This last episode had no sex in it at all.

In the book, Tyrion and Bronn only talk about how he gave Joffrey some whores so he'd become calmer or something like that. Not showing that scene would have given enough space to a more important scene. The Renly and Loras thing was something ambiguous from the start, there was no need to show it, and the Renly and Margaery scene didn't depend on it strictly.

Now, about Stannis, you're right. And Osha's scene was too brief, anyway.

and as for Littlefinger's brothel, well, was it really necessary for any past like three scenes to take place there? Catelyn enters, Ned enters and leaves and is crippled, Robert's bastard #76 is murdered. Done.

I also felt that scene was too useless. They don't need to show directly how evil Littlefinger is to get us the picture that he's an ambitious selfish bastard.

See? These are 6 scenes that could have been discarded in order to show better stuff, such as the Reed siblings, Theon pillaging that village I forgot the name (well, it's not really necessary...), Reek's appearance... They're small things anyway, so they shouldn't have occupied much space.

see bottom of post

Yeah, I'm gonna have to give a pass to the Renloras ones. Theon did not strictly speaking need to explain his political theory to the girl at the same time as he was fucking her, Stannis and Melisandre... I can see reasons for that existing (how is it revealed in the books that he's the demon shadow baby's father again?) and as for Littlefinger's brothel, well, was it really necessary for any past like three scenes to take place there? Catelyn enters, Ned enters and leaves and is crippled, Robert's bastard #76 is murdered. Done.

I loved the Renloras scenes until Loras said "not tonight"

Stannis and Mel is heavily--the baby looks like Stannis, and in Mel's chapter in dance has her saying "her bed had not seen much use since Stannis had left" or something.

The brothel scenes are good reminders of what the show is really about: humanity.

See? These are 6 scenes that could have been discarded in order to show better stuff, such as the Reed siblings, Theon pillaging that village I forgot the name (well, it's not really necessary...), Reek's appearance... They're small things anyway, so they shouldn't have occupied much space.

For a show like Game of Thrones, it's better that they have better writing in the show than introducing characters that could come later. Introducing the Reeds would take quite a bit of time, and people would be stuck going WHO THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE because Howland Reed has only been mentioned like... what, once in the show? I really feel that development of current characters > getting major characters in and giving them only 12-15 minutes of screen time. Non-book readers are having enough time to keep up as it is: barely anyone seems to know that Bran's name is Bran, people are still wondering who the hell the little kid in Winterfell is (hint: Rickon)... in essence, putting in another two characters would just make things all the more confusing.

In the book, stuff happens.

Yeah but its HBO and they rather show and not tell. ;): Oddly enough, ASoIaF fans didnt go apeshit when Renly and Loras's thing was totally a thing. Hmmm.

The only beef i have is that Roz shouldnt be like, a thing. She shouldnt be a character. Shes superfluous and just fanservice. D:

The scene with Joffrey and the whores does establish that Joffrey likes to hurt people and likes to be in power. But I guess it is sort of redundant because we should have gotten that about Joffrey a long time ago.

I do feel the brothel scenes are a bit too prevalent in terms of screentime vs. plot importance and may just be part of HBO's agenda to have as much naked as possible.

Yeah but its HBO and they rather show and not tell. ;): Oddly enough, ASoIaF fans didnt go apeshit when Renly and Loras's thing was totally a thing. Hmmm.

Actually, a lot of them did...

It wasn't necessary. You didn't see such a scene in the book.. Plus, why does it have to be explained? It's not really plot critical.

It wasn't necessary. You didn't see such a scene in the book.. Plus, why does it have to be explained? It's not really plot critical.

I dunno, without it I would have been very confused as to why Melisandre felt the need to cast spells from her uterus rather than her hands like traditional magical people.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I dunno, without it I would have been very confused as to why Melisandre felt the need to cast spells from her uterus rather than her hands like traditional magical people.

Indeed. If they had not shown her and Stannis going at it, the audience would have been all "wait...how...what..." So that establishes how her magic works. It may not be super plot crucial but it helps explain things. A LOT of GoT viewers didnt read the books, you know.

i dont remember dagmer cleftjaw ever being in book 2 or is it just me who thinks that

He was in Book 2, but his role was to get Theon to Winterfell and seize it, that's all. Now they expanded his role to fill the missing gap left by Reek's ausence.