Promoting early

Base Ephraim promotion gains has what? 10 str?

With Seigmund base Franz+Promo gains has 37 attack against monsters, all you're fighting lategame.

That's 2HP shy of OHKOing some of final chapter gorgons.

And Ephraim should get at least SOME levels before then.

Natasha has 39MT with Bishop promo gains and Aura against monsters. Artur has 44 MT. Artur is 1HP shy of OHKOing the weakest Wight.

I don't think having a few extra points you would have from extra levels would make a difference.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to beat the game you don't NEED 20/20.

Actually you dont need 20/20 or to promote at level 20 in any of the GBA games. While i do wait until level 20 with this game and the other(s), i dont HAVE to do that. A guy can be pretty good promoted at level 15 especially if the RNG had been kind to that unit. I do find promoting at level 10 to be really icky unless your name is Knoll.

Promoting guys that become Bishops in this game, early is a pretty sound idea. Slayer is that broken so they dont even need the extra boost in magic they would get at level 20. (some of a possibility of capping magic but...really...whats the point? Slayer exists.)

As for stat boosters, theres so much cash to be had just by going into the Ruins in CC. If someone really wants to max out everybody and their mum, they can just go through there and get those gems.

Another thing is that, in late game, shops selling killer and silver weapons. A guy promoted at say...level 13 to a Paladin, could make use of those and pound junk without a problem. Who cares if you arent doubling everything if you are critting nearly everything? Seth exists so wtf.

Not everyone wants to grind in the Tower or Ruins. This argument is dumb. People play their own way and its uncool to be harping on someone else's playstyle.

Let me see if I can remember what level I promoted units at the last time I played this game and had no trouble beating it...

Franz, level 14

Artur, level 10

Gerik, level 10

Kyle, level 18

Knoll, level 10

Eirika, level 13

Ephraim, level 15

I don't regret promoting any of them at the time I did, and indeed I wish I could have promoted all of them (except Gerik and Knoll, obviously) earlier.

-Jon Snow

Considering it would cost 100,000+s gold to play catch up you're going to end up having to grind much more than had you just waited to 20/20 for your characters. The game already gives you Seth and most of the game can be soloed by him. By no ones are you being rushed and there's no point in rushing anyway considering how short the story already is. Without Arena or Tower my Eirika had already hit 20(Hard Mode) before her little path split was over as did most of my main team. It took very little effort, the only downside is that Eirika can't promote until the story event that gives you her promotion item.

I'm not harping, if people want to gimp there characters than so be it. Just as long as they know that it was a poor choice due to how SS is set up. Early Promotions just aren't worth it when the game gives you more than enough options and if you consistently use the same team you'll reach 20 for your whole team a few Chapters before the Finale anyway. Considering how Seth crushes the other parts of the game it just doesn't make sense to gimp your characters since early promotions just aren't needed to overcome the early and mid game hurdles. Even than there's plenty of EXP to come across as is.

Considering RNG as well the final levels before promotion had the potential of giving many stat gains. Of course waiting till 18 doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as just rushing a promotion at 10. Though if you're 18 it seems a waste to promote early considering you're almost to 20 and a skirmish or two(Or just 1 or 2 solo Tower 1 Clears) is all that's needed to to get your guy to 20. It really doesn't take all that long.

Edited by Fanfaire

Still enough exp from skirmishes(With how the early map is placed you're going to run into a few) and the stages still offer enough EXP to get your main guys to 20. Now if the OP refused to use Seth than early promotions would be viable if the OP prefers rushing through Chapters(Since all of the Chapters are doable with no Promotions, they just take longer and require more strategy). If the OP uses Seth even without tower or arena than early promotions are unneeded and end up gimping you for the long run. It will take much longer buying those lost stats back than waiting.

EXP from just chapters and the random skirmishs only become an issue if you refuse to stick to team and switch out characters constantly.

Edited by Fanfaire

Im gonna happily assume that the OP also meant skirmishes. Why are you trying to make people play your way?

I'm starting to think this guy's only being pedantic just for the sake of being a troll, considering that he's blatantly ignoring posts that counter whatever he brings up.

Or it may be another case of ShockOfGod Syndrome. But considering his behavior on another thread...

Edited by Little Al

It isn't pointless at all if you're going CC after you beat the game. If you have no intention of doing such a thing than go ahead and gimp your characters, the story missions(Except the last few) wont punish you for doing that. CC though will with how much stuff they throw at you the deeper you go into the Ruins or Tower. Especially the Ruins.

Legendary Weapons aren't infinite you know, a waste to use them on the average mook especially before you can get a reliable source of repair sticks.

The OP has a right to hear both sides. If the OP doesn't want to do CC than the option to gimp his characters is viable since the story missions aren't that hard. It'll just take him much longer to do the final stages since he'll have to play much safer due to weaker characters though that might be an issue since if waiting till 20 is too bothersome than taking many more turns for the final stages might be unbearable. If the OP wants to do CC than the only option is waiting since EXP isn't hard to come by and the game gives you many options to obtain it.

So you are basically saying that the OP should use skirmishes to raise everyone to 20/20, which takes about 5 - 10 turns for each skirmish. And do that for his entire team. Just so he can complete the last four or so chapters 2 - 4 turns faster.

Let's say you play with 8 units, each magically needs only 1 skirmish to get to 20/20. That takes a minimum of 40 turns for you whole team.

Now, with your 20/20 team, you save 4 turns on the last 5 chapters of the game compared to the 10/20 units. That saves you 20 turns!

But you still spent 20 turns more on grinding that wasn't necessary because the 10/20 units also completed the game. And they did it 20 turns faster, and with less effort.

Watch the attitude, no one likes someone that has to scream to try and get their point across. Furthermore it doesn't take that long and the OP doesn't need to do 20 skirmishes at the asme time. That's boring. It's not that hard to do a skirmish every once and awhile. And like I said, the game can still be beaten with Seth + an Army of prepromotes. It'll just take longer. By no means are you gimped for not rushing a promotion while you will be gimped if you do. It takes far longer to buy back the lost stats than it does to get your all stars to 20 before promotion.

Im gonna happily assume that the OP also meant skirmishes. Why are you trying to make people play your way?

You need to learn to read, the game is set up that you're going to run into a skirmish at some point. It also doesn't change that you will still hit 20 for your quite afew members of your main party(Or at least close to it) about mid way through the game by just doing the story Chapters if you only save Seth for weakening and don't switch out your characters constantly. Thus there's no excuse for promoting before 20 unless you're impatient and care not that you're gimping your characters and have no intention of doing CC. Of course gimped characters means he'll have to take that much longer to beat the final Chapter and if he hits a wall for some reason he will lack the CC items to grind for and will not be able to get back the lost levels in the main game.

Edited by Fanfaire

Watch the attitude, no one likes someone that has to scream to try and get their point across. Furthermore it doesn't take that long and the OP doesn't need to do 20 skirmishes at the asme time. That's boring. It's not that hard to do a skirmish every once and awhile. And like I said, the game can still be beaten with Seth + an Army of prepromotes. It'll just take longer. By no means are you gimped for not rushing a promotion while you will be gimped if you do. It takes far longer to buy back the lost stats than it does to get your all stars to 20 before promotion.

I only bolded those parts because it seems no one is getting through to you, or you don't read/answer to the facts people lay out before you. I hoped this would make it stand out more, it wasn't meant to put on an attitude. If you felt it like being an attitude, i didn't mean it to come across that way.

Also, when I scram over the internet, i USUALLY USE CAPS LOCK YOU UNDERSTAND? [Note, this is not intended seriously]

Now onto the actual discussion: It might not take that long, but it takes even less time to promote early and take a couple turns longer in the final chapters. And you're right, you don't have to do 20 skirmishes at the same time, but that's dodging the statement i made. My example also used numbers that wouldn't happen normally. No unit goes from 10 to 20/20 from one skirmish. It take far more than 20 skirmishes when training units. The fact remains that you have to to those skirmishes, and it takes far more time to do those than it does to complete the game with early promoted units and take a bit longer in the final chapters.

And if you are not gimped to promote late, then what do you say about this example:

Garcia the fighter has a slow speed growth, fighters also aren't know for their amazing defense. Garcia is level 14, he is doubled by a lot of units on the map because he is also a bit more speed screwed than normal. If he continues fighting as a fighter, he is doubled and killed on let's say... "Phantom ship" in ephraim route. If he takes the hero crest (hypothetically, IDK if you even have one by that time), he gains 2 speed and some defense and HP. This prevents him from being doubled, he has more bulk, and he survives the chapter.

Would you still say he is gimped because he is promoted early? This is just this specific moment in which I ask, no views on later in the game, just this moment for now. [Later in the game can be discussed separately]

And about buying back lost stats: It doesn't matter, since CC is out of the question. So the game end after fomortiis.

You've posted pretty much the same thing in every post, I think I'm going to tally how many times you've used each "argument".

That's if you're in a rush, overall waiting takes far less time than later grinding up gold to play catch up for lost stats. If you don't care if your characters are weaker overall and have no intention of doing CC than early promotions are fine since the long term is no issue in that situation considering that CC is the long term.

If he's getting doubled than I would drop him or spend the time to train him. It isn't worth wasting 6 levels away just so he's less sucky for the short term but gimped in the long term(Until I spend a ton of gold after the game to try and bring him up to speed). If training isn't an option than I'll just keep him back and have him steal last hits with a HandAxe. I'll just use my more tanky characters to hold off as many enemies as they can and deal with the skirmisher monsters as they come through. Unless Garcia is sorely lacking he'll have more than enough health to deal with a double. I can also place other characters around each other to act as buffers to prevent anyone from getting swarmed. This will drag out the Chapter a bit longer but it's very doable with very little risk to anyone. If worst comes than I'll just bring multiple healers or find someone else to deploy that doesn't compromise my team comp.

Edited by Fanfaire

-Jon Snow

Considering it would cost 100,000+s gold to play catch up you're going to end up having to grind much more than had you just waited to 20/20 for your characters.

On average, missing out on five levels on a character you plan to use in CC means you have to pay about 26,000 gold to get them to catch up in statboosters: but that's assuming that you give a shit about stats like luck and skill, or that this isn't one of the characters who might cap a stat at 20/15, so really it's probably closer to 20,000 gold. And with stuff like the Swiftsoles trick, you can earn 20,000 gold in a single level of the Ruins.

Considering RNG as well the final levels before promotion had the potential of giving many stat gains.

They also have the potential of giving no stat gains.

-Jon Snow

Considering it would cost 100,000+s gold to play catch up you're going to end up having to grind much more than had you just waited to 20/20 for your characters. The game already gives you Seth and most of the game can be soloed by him. By no ones are you being rushed and there's no point in rushing anyway considering how short the story already is. Without Arena or Tower my Eirika had already hit 20(Hard Mode) before her little path split was over as did most of my main team. It took very little effort, the only downside is that Eirika can't promote until the story event that gives you her promotion item.

I'm not harping, if people want to gimp there characters than so be it. Just as long as they know that it was a poor choice due to how SS is set up. Early Promotions just aren't worth it when the game gives you more than enough options and if you consistently use the same team you'll reach 20 for your whole team a few Chapters before the Finale anyway. Considering how Seth crushes the other parts of the game it just doesn't make sense to gimp your characters since early promotions just aren't needed to overcome the early and mid game hurdles. Even than there's plenty of EXP to come across as is.

Considering RNG as well the final levels before promotion had the potential of giving many stat gains. Of course waiting till 18 doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as just rushing a promotion at 10. Though if you're 18 it seems a waste to promote early considering you're almost to 20 and a skirmish or two(Or just 1 or 2 solo Tower 1 Clears) is all that's needed to to get your guy to 20. It really doesn't take all that long.

We get like, 3-4 of each statbooster in the main game, and while efficient teams are built around the use of Seth, not everyone wants to do it all the time.

but not everyone wants to spam skirmishes/tower/arena/ruins/reinforcements.

Also, there was a draft for fe8 that required all of us to not promote any units.

Someone took it over for me, since then, but it's possible to beat the game with unpromoted units+a prepromote.

AND SETH WAS BANNED.

You need to learn to read, the game is set up that you're going to run into a skirmish at some point. It also doesn't change that you will still hit 20 for your quite afew members of your main party(Or at least close to it) about mid way through the game by just doing the story Chapters if you only save Seth for weakening and don't switch out your characters constantly. Thus there's no excuse for promoting before 20 unless you're impatient and care not that you're gimping your characters and have no intention of doing CC. Of course gimped characters means he'll have to take that much longer to beat the final Chapter and if he hits a wall for some reason he will lack the CC items to grind for and will not be able to get back the lost levels in the main game.

Uh, you know.

There's this thing called retreat.

Yeah.

Also, not everyone goes CC after every run, since it's as boring as fuck.

Well, I guess we have proof of Al's theory. Frankly, I suspected it ever since the Ike/Soren shenanigans.

I didn't think his trolling would extend to stuff like unit discussions though. Not too surprising that it would either, even though you'd expect this kind of argument from someone like Nesshelper, or whoever else that may legitimately think such outdated views are valid arguments for unit discussions.

Don't talk about stuff you don't understand.

He's jealous of everyone on SF that's played fe8.

-------

Y'know.

The records for fe8 Low Turns.

Horace did it in like, 80 something turns, with the use of Seth+Prepromotes.

dondon did it on 0% growths and centered on the use of Seth.

I didn't think his trolling would extend to stuff like unit discussions though. Not too surprising that it would either, even though you'd expect this kind of argument from someone like Nesshelper, or whoever else that may legitimately think such outdated views are valid arguments for unit discussions.

Yeah, this guy's coming off to me as the cocky defense attorney who thinks they have a chance in a murder case where the prosecution has DNA, the body, the murder weapon, multiple witnesses, videotape, and a log that states how the crime was commited.

Edited by Golden Cucco

Yeah, this guy's coming off to me as the cocky defense attorney who thinks they have a chance in a murder case where the prosecution has DNA, the body, the murder weapon, multiple witnesses, videotape, and a log that states how the crime was commited.

ok this is one of the worst insults I've ever read

ok this is one of the worst insults I've ever read

Ah, well, I suppose I indeed coulda done better, but just wasn't really trying. Still, I don't know what he's thinking, considering that he's just saying the same stuff over and over. Honestly, considering that the final chapter's enemies are laughably weak, 20/20 is just overkill.

Edited by Golden Cucco

You're naive, I'm repeating myself because everyone else is repeating themselves when they're wrong.

No, I'm just sad that so many supposed vets here don't understand that a 10/20 character is far weaker than a 20/20 character and that it isn't that hard no does it take that long to get to 20 as a preprmote. No matter how you look at it its gimping your characters and your opinions that CC is boring doesn't change that promoting early still gimps you. There's a huge difference between a 10/20 and 20/20 character and CC makes it very clear. The Final Chapter also makes it clear, the game is easy but you'll have to be far more cautious with a 10/20 gimped character since they will lack the stats to hold their own on the late monsters. Especially not against the Draco Zombies that will 1 to 2 hit gimped characters and will be far more accurate due to your gimped characters have far lower stats.

For a bunch of veterans you seem adamant in trying to tell others that a 10/20 Character is somehow no weaker than a 20/20 Character in the Main Story(And 4 Stat Boosters isn't somehow going to cover the loss of stats for all your early promoted characters) when that is false. You also seem to be extremely lazy and a few minutes to clear a skirmish every once and while is somehow too hard to do. Skirmishes were put in to be done between chapters not to grind all at once. Furthermore CC is meant for the best of the best of your roster, a gimped character will not perform well in CC unless you're wiling to take 10-20 more turns per Stage in places like the Ruins where they throw ridiculous number of mobs at you. Even more as you go in deeper since your characters just wont stack up, now that's boring and a waste considering a 20/20 character will take far less time to clear such a place and you can invest your gold in making them better and not playing catch up.

As for that gold thing that's false, the items alone cost 10k each. Making up for lost stats(The more levels lost the more stats in all areas to make up) costs far more.

Thus there's no point in it unless you're okay with far weaker characters in the Main Game, want to try and rush through the early to mid chapters, and have no plans for CC.

I hope none of you plan on playing Awakening since the game's system encourages grinding far more than Sacred Stones.

Edited by Fanfaire

No, I'm just sad that so many supposed vets here don't understand that a 10/20 character is far weaker than a 20/20 character and that it isn't that hard no does it take that long to get to 20 as a preprmote. No matter how you look at it its gimping your characters and your opinions that CC is boring doesn't change that promoting early still gimps you. There's a huge difference between a 10/20 and 20/20 character and CC makes it very clear. The Final Chapter also makes it clear, the game is easy but you'll have to be far more cautious with a 10/20 gimped character since they will lack the stats to hold their own on the late monsters. Especially not against the Draco Zombies that will 1 to 2 hit gimped characters and will be far more accurate due to your gimped characters have far lower stats.

For a bunch of veterans you seem adamant in trying to tell others that a 10/20 Character is somehow no weaker than a 20/20 Character when that is false. You also seem to be extremely lazy and a few minutes to clear a skirmish every once and while is somehow too hard to do. Skirmishes were put in to be done between chapters not to grind. Furthermore CC is meant for the best of the best of your roster, a gimped character will not perform well in CC unless you're wiling to take 10-20 more turns per Stage in places like the Ruins. Even more as you go in deeper, now that's boring and a waste considering a 20/220 character will take far less time to clear such a place and you can invest your gold in making them better and not playing catch up.

As for that gold thing that's false, the items alone cost 10k each. Making up for lost stats(The more levels lost the more stats in all areas to make up) costs far more.

Thus there's no point in it unless you're okay with far weaker characters in the Main Game, want to try and rush through the early to mid chapters, and have no plans for CC.

I hope none of you plan on playing Awakening since the game's system encourages grinding far more than Sacred Stones.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Because that's all you've done thus far - state the obvious. Honestly, it's not like promoting earlier than level 20 dooms my units to being unusable. As for the final chapter:

Lvl 5 Wights: 38-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 2-4 Lck, 8-10 Def, 7-9 Res

Steel Sword: 22-23 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 20-26 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 9-11 AS

Steel Lance: 24-25 Atk, 93-96 Hit, 14-20 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 6-8 AS

Killer Edge: 24-25 Atk, 98-101 Hit, 22-28 Avoid, 35-36 Crit

Javelin: 20-21 Atk, 88-91 Hit, 18-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lvl 6 Wights: 39-41 HP, 14-15 Str, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 3 Lck, 8-9 Def, 8-9 Res

Killer Edge: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 36 Crit

Axereaver: 24-25 Atk, 95-97 Hit, 19-23 Avoid, 11 Crit, 8-10 AS

Lancereaver: 23-24 Atk, 100-102 Hit, 23-27 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 7 Gorgons: 32-33 HP, 25-27 Mag, 12-13 Skl, 10-12 Spd, 8-9 Lck, 7-9 Def, 18-20 Res

Demon Surge: 36-38 Atk, 108-110 Hit, 28-33 Avoid, 6 Crit

Stone: 93-95 Hit, 28-33 Avoid

Lvl 8 Gorgons: 31-33 HP, 24-25 Mag, 11-12 Skl, 11 Spd, 10 Lck, 9 Def, 19 Res

Demon Surge: 35-36 Atk, 107-109 Hit, 32 Avoid, 6 Crit

Shadowshot: 37-38 Atk, 97-99 Hit, 14 Avoid, 11 Crit, 2 AS

Lvl 5 Elder Baels: 57-59 HP, 20-22 Str, 11-12 Skl, 10-11 Spd, 2 Lck, 15 Def, 9 Res

Lethal Talon: 30-32 Atk, 83-85 Hit, 22-24 Avoid, 5-6 Crit

Lvl 7 Elder Bael: 62 HP, 22 Str, 13 Skl, 10 Spd, 3 Lck, 15 Def, 8 Res

Lethal Talon: 32 Atk, 87 Hit, 23 Avoid, 6 Crit

Lvl 5 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 14 Str, 21 Skl, 23 Spd, 6 Lck, 9 Def, 7 Res

Hellfang: 27 Atk, 125 Hit, 52 Avoid, 10 Crit

Lvl 8 Gwyllgi: 39 HP, 15 Str, 23 Skl, 21 Spd, 8 Lck, 9 Def, 9 Res

Hellfang: 28 Atk, 130 Hit, 50 Avoid, 11 Crt

Lvl 10 Dracozombies: 80-81 HP, 22 Atk, 16-17 Skl, 7 Spd, 7-8 Lck, 30-31 Def, 15-16 Res

Wretched Air: 32 Atk, 135-138 Hit, 21-22 Avoid, 8 Crit

Lvl 8 Maelduin: 47 HP, 18 Str, 12 Skl, 13 Spd, 3 Lck, 13 Def, 9 Res

Swordreaver: 29 Atk, 90 Hit, 27 Avoid, 11 Crit, 12 AS

Lyon

Lvl 18 Necromancer: 75 HP, 30 Mag, 20 Skl, 16 Spd, 10 Lck, 26 Def, 30 Res

Naglfar: 55 Atk, 145 Hit, 20 Avoid,15 Crit, 5 AS

Fomortiis

120 HP, 35 Str, 31 Skl, 19 Spd, 21 Lck, 35 Def, 40 Res

Demon Light/Ravager: 50 Atk, 132 Hit, 59 Avoid, 15 Crit

Lvl 6 Arch Mogalls: 28-30 HP, 21-23 Mag, 10-13 Skl, 9-10 Spd, 5-6 Lck, 5-7 Def, 14-16 Res

Crimson Eye: 35-37 Atk, 92-99 Hit, 8-10 Avoid, 10-11 Crit, 1-2 AS

Lvl 6 Deathgoyles: 42-46 HP, 19-20 Str, 13-15 Skl, 15-17 Spd, 2-3 Lck, 14-15 Def, 5-6 Res

Steel Lance: 29-30 Atk, 97-101 Hit, 28-33 Avoid, 6-7 Crit, 13-15 AS

Axereaver: 29-30 Atk, 97-101 Hit, 32-37 Avoid, 11-12 Crit

Aside from the bosses and the Dracozombies, just how many of these enemies are actually threatening?

If it's the obvious than there should be no argument. You know you're gimping your Characters by promoting earlier, you know it's cost a great deal to bring all your characters up to speed, you know that the game literally throws EXP at you yet choose to ignore it, thus there's no point in continuing this. I'm right that waiting is better because of how SS is set up. Though if you're impatient and care not for CC, play on Easy/Normal, or don't mind that you gimped your characters for the rest of the game than feel free to just stomp through the early chapters with early promotions and have more issues in the Final Chapters. More power to you.

Yes, those enemies will still be an issue if you promoted your Characters early. At 20/20 they aren't an issue except the harder things like the DracoZombies while at 10/20 you will have to be far more cautious as you approach Lyon and his posse or you're looking at a few dead Characters.

And no, those aren't valid excuses against what I've put out. No matter how you look at it you're gimping your characters and most players aren't super stars that can clear the final Chapters with weakened characters. Thus the OP should know that eary promotions only help in the short term while waiting benefits you for the rest of the game and beyond.

Furthermore yu say not to bother yet you continue to spam. When do you plan to contribute? Clearly you do care enough to post even if it's just spam and contributes nothing at all.

Edited by Fanfaire