"That one boss..."

Gold Vanguard

The King Plane from Megaman and Bass is irritating, as you fight it while having to jump on small platforms (bear in mind not only that this is over a bottomless pit, but the boss can also destroy them!). Not helping is that the boss releases flash bombs that blind you, meaning you can't see where you're jumping. What's more, it also has a photon laser that you HAVE to destroy, otherwise you're eating a boatload of damage. It's bad enough if you're using Bass, but it's a nightmare as Mega Man. The same game also has Dynamo Man, who jumps into a recharging rig mid-fight.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the plane boss is pretty trivial as Bass, as double jump/Treble allows room for a lot of error. But yeah, as Megaman it's ridiculous, especially when the plane destroys a platform you absolutely need, pretty much forcing your death then and there.

I'm just gonna have to list the final boss in Skyward Sword because it took me a while before I knew how to defeat him. Come Hero Mode, and it's kinda of a rinse and repeat. But if he's the last one you fight in the game's Boss Rush challenge, just hope you have enough hearts.

Speaking of Zelda... Dark Link in Zelda 2 may be insanely hard, but OoT Dark Link is also pretty frustrating, especially in Master Quest where the Megaton Hammer and Din's Fire (purportedly) aren't effective anymore, relegating you to having to win in a straight sword fight. Except... Your stab is no use (he jumps on your sword and counters you), as is your jump attack (he'll jump to the side, then jump attack you), the spin attack's also useless (he dodges it), leaving regular attacks as your only option (most of those will clash with his sword). And Link's Awakening has Blaino, who can send you back to the entrance with a charged punch, is practically impossible to hit except when he's attacking (notably with the aforementioned charge punch), and he also has a punch that can stun, and if that connects... it's back to the entrance with you. Also, these two are only minibosses.

Edited by Golden Cucco

Speaking of Zelda... Dark Link in Zelda 2 may be insanely hard, but OoT Dark Link is also pretty frustrating, especially in Master Quest where the Megaton Hammer and Din's Fire (purportedly) aren't effective anymore, relegating you to having to win in a straight sword fight.

Are you talking about the 3DS version?

Because, while it's been years since I played Master Quest, I am still pretty sure that they didn't change the abilities from bosses.

They stuck cows into walls, torches into the roof and other creative stuff but they didn't change the properties of any objects.

Are you talking about the 3DS version?

Because, while it's been years since I played Master Quest, I am still pretty sure that they didn't change the abilities from bosses.

They stuck cows into walls, torches into the roof and other creative stuff but they didn't change the properties of any objects.

Haven't played the 3DS MQ. Although I'm not very sure on the part about Megaton Hammer and Din's Fire being ineffective.

Even if the Megaton Hammer and Din's Fire really aren't effective against Dark Link anymore in some of the remakes, just get the Biggoron Sword instead; its increased range throws off Dark Link's AI completely and he gets hit practically every single time.

As for Skyward Sword's final boss, his second phase can be kinda tricky the first few times, but if you utilize your shield effectively, the first is pretty much cake.

The shield really is just that broken.

Demise dies really, really fast if you know what to do--i.e. stunlock him and use the shield to stun him.

. Total of 44 seconds.

Please note that that is in no way me playing. 0_o;

As for really, really difficult bosses...

I would say the Demi-Fiend in Digital Devil Saga, but he's a bonus boss. Still, when the fight can wipe a fully-prepared party if you get terrible luck rolls, it is worth mentioning.

Shadow Yukiko was the hardest boss for me in Persona 4, mainly because you don't have many good personae yet...you can't cheese the hell out of the bosses at that point.

Depending on the type of run, Cynthia in Pokemon Gen 4 can be a pain. Well, the freaking Garchomp is the pain. Goddamn land shark.

I really can't think of many others. Ocean Palace Lavos, I guess, only because the shell form is really buffed at that point. it's stronger at the Ocean Palace than if you do the bucket or the Black Omen. You are meant to lose that fight, after all...

Oh--the Egg Grappler/whatever it is, the final boss of Sonic 2. Dear god. So much hate for that thing...and it's the only Sonic game I've played that I have not beaten. God, that boss...

As for really, really difficult bosses...

I would say the Demi-Fiend in Digital Devil Saga, but he's a bonus boss. Still, when the fight can wipe a fully-prepared party if you get terrible luck rolls, it is worth mentioning.

Shadow Yukiko was the hardest boss for me in Persona 4, mainly because you don't have many good personae yet...you can't cheese the hell out of the bosses at that point.

Depending on the type of run, Cynthia in Pokemon Gen 4 can be a pain. Well, the freaking Garchomp is the pain. Goddamn land shark.

I really can't think of many others. Ocean Palace Lavos, I guess, only because the shell form is really buffed at that point. it's stronger at the Ocean Palace than if you do the bucket or the Black Omen. You are meant to lose that fight, after all...

Oh--the Egg Grappler/whatever it is, the final boss of Sonic 2. Dear god. So much hate for that thing...and it's the only Sonic game I've played that I have not beaten. God, that boss...

As for Pokemon, the first run in with Jupiter can be frustrating because of her Skuntank, which can hit practically anything you can have at that point for at least neutral damage with Night Slash, which has increased crithax rate (Machop, Monferno and Heracross, as well as Murkrow for Diamond players, are about all I can think of at that point that resists it). Knowing it has a Ground weakness doesn't help (much), considering tha shortage of Ground moves at that point (and the ones you WOULD have at that point are either unreliable [Magnitude, Mud Bomb] or practically useless [Mud-Slap]), and what's more, its Dark/Poison typing makes it that Ground is its only weakness.

Speaking of Pokemon:

First Generation, Misty, Starmie, BubbleBeam

The sound of BubbleBeam in that game is the sound of hell... and followed by the death scream of whatever Pokemon you send, to be feasted on by Starmie.

Edited by BrightBow

Speaking of Pokemon:

First Generation, Misty, Starmie, BubbleBeam

The sound of BubbleBeam in that game is the sound of hell... and followed by the death scream of whatever Pokemon you send, to be feasted on by Starmie.

I'm surprised you didn't also mention Sabrina, considering how overpowered the Psychic type was back then.

At any rate, I'll third Cynthia, as well as mention Lucian, mainly for that damn Bronzong.

I'm surprised you didn't also mention Sabrina, considering how overpowered the Psychic type was back then.

I can't recall, that I ever had problems with her.

I guess I always fought her late. I think you need to wait for the city to be liberated so she is probably the last on the list before Giovannni. And it probably helps that trainers used random attacks in that generation.

And even with Alkazam, her Psy Wave was pathetic.

No mention of Giant Shadow Bug Diddy Kong? He takes up like half the screen, hits like an elephant, and is every bit as fast as regular Diddy. And when you're first going through that stage, you're stuck with three of the lighter characters in the game. On top of that, there are no pits to knock him down, which means you have to throw him off the side of the screen. Making matters worse is that he might get a hit off before you even have a chance to react, which might well be an OHKO. If he gets any items, they SCALE TO HIS GIANT SIZE. Worse yet, you have to go through him to get to Jigglypuff.

Edited by Golden Cucco

... I'd say the final boss from Sonic 2 is hard. The whole stage itself is hard: You don't have access to any rings, and there are two boss fights. The first boss is easier, but the last boss takes 12 hits to fall, and it's pretty risky to try and hit him without dying. His pattern is repeatable, but he doesn't give the player many chances to hit his weak point, and most of them are traps (such as when he crouches only to release his arms agaisnt the player).

Speaking of Castlevania, Stella and Loretta in Portrait of Ruin are irritating. Though all that needs to be done is hit with Sanctuary, the problem is that Sanctuary takes forever and a day to get ready to cast.

Omfg...That is so freaking uagh...pain in my arse. Those two have a really decimating ice attack with huge reach that can fuck Charlotte up as well as Jonathan even when they are on the right-most side of the screen. And Sanctuary does take hella days to cast. Its like "omfg hurry up spell meter!!! agh!"

Dracula in OoE is nothing to sneeze at either.

I personally think the plane boss is pretty trivial as Bass, as double jump/Treble allows room for a lot of error. But yeah, as Megaman it's ridiculous, especially when the plane destroys a platform you absolutely need, pretty much forcing your death then and there.

I can concede that.

... I'd say the final boss from Sonic 2 is hard. The whole stage itself is hard: You don't have access to any rings, and there are two boss fights. The first boss is easier, but the last boss takes 12 hits to fall, and it's pretty risky to try and hit him without dying. His pattern is repeatable, but he doesn't give the player many chances to hit his weak point, and most of them are traps (such as when he crouches only to release his arms agaisnt the player).

Agreed.

Dracula in OoE is nothing to sneeze at either.

Speaking of Order of Ecclesia, Blackmore in that game's also a serious pain in the butt since you're pretty much forced to the wall, meaning you don't have much room to dodge his attacks. And then there's Eligor... omfg. ESPECIALLY if you're trying to get the medal. You have to destroy the crossbows on his hips, otherwise they'll target you while you're underneath him. His weak point is the eye, which is on the back of his head, which naaturally means you're going to have a hell of a time getting to it. And even once you're on his back, there's still the matter of avoiding getting knocked off, because if that happens you're pretty much sent back to square one.

Speaking of Order of Ecclesia, Blackmore in that game's also a serious pain in the butt since you're pretty much forced to the wall, meaning you don't have much room to dodge his attacks. And then there's Eligor... omfg. ESPECIALLY if you're trying to get the medal. You have to destroy the crossbows on his hips, otherwise they'll target you while you're underneath him. His weak point is the eye, which is on the back of his head, which naaturally means you're going to have a hell of a time getting to it. And even once you're on his back, there's still the matter of avoiding getting knocked off, because if that happens you're pretty much sent back to square one.

For me, Eligor was one of the easiest to get the medal for, along with the crab, since the stages of the fight make them more formulaic for me.

I think I usually destroyed the crossbows while I was underneath him...? Assuming that's possible...

For me, Eligor was one of the easiest to get the medal for, along with the crab, since the stages of the fight make them more formulaic for me.

I think I usually destroyed the crossbows while I was underneath him...? Assuming that's possible...

You can destroy the crossbows while under him (and should, considering they'll try to zone in on you and shoot).

I'd like to mention Marluxia's first form from the Chain of Memories remake. His fighting style got retooled, but all the same he hits hard. However, it's his retooled sleights that'll get you (Blossom Shower in particular is OMFGWTFBBQ; in the original, it was nigh unavoidable, but didn't hurt all that much, but in the remake it rivals Dark Aura in terms of nastiness. To explain, first he charges you while in an atom of blades three times, then he reappears in the center of the field, and a shockwave pulses through the field, and after that, you're blasted by an array of cherry blossom petals.). Also, his enemy card allows him to use sleights twice in a row.

Edited by Golden Cucco