Best use of Boots in efficient play

Espinosa

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best user of Boots in efficient play?

• Lord (reducing the necessity of rescuing)
    • Jeigan / trained Cav (clears enemies without endangering the less mobile units or just carries the Lord)
    • Flier (cuts turns while skipping larger portion of the map, carrying your Lord)
    • Immobile unit e.g. Duessel or Douglas (lets them see combat and contribute)
    • Other (specify)

Boots, Swiftsole, etc.

I guess in FE6 we can talk about more than one pair of Boots, though you'll have just one pair for a while, so that's an important choice to be made. And when you do get access to potentially infinite amounts of them, you still have to worry about how to earn money efficiently, when to use them, in which quantity and on whom.

Specifics differ between games, I guess. Interested in hearing your opinions and experiences, both in LTC and draft context.

I don't see why Douglass is a representative for immoble units. Are you trying to make people not vote for that option?

If it's an unranked run, I usually give it to a Lord character. Although, if it's a LTC run, I'd give them to a flier or the dancer/bard/whatever.

Depends on the flier, but I guess it depends through the various games. Like, I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a flier in 7. Lords kinda suck in 7, and fliers are usually awesome. 8, the Swiftsoles come a tad late, and you get it at the same time as Warp. I mean, if 2 move is like the difference of a turn, might as well slap it on one of them, but at times it seems like Warp does that kind of work from there (forget if Hammerne exists), so you could slap it on someone with awesome power like Ephraim. As for 6....well, the game does give you Miledy.

if you're speedrunning, best option is almost always flier. dancers are not useful in speedrunning beyond dancing on turn 1.

for FE6 LTC, flier is probably the best bet for chapter 14 boots because the maps are large, terrain is plentiful, and miledy's combat is more than good enough to justify her getting the boots. the unlimited pairs in the secret shop should first and foremost go to roy, then probably lalum/elphin, then whomever is necessary to help clear chapter 24 as quickly as possible - preferably a mounted combat unit.

in general, unless it's lord or unit that rescues lord, boots do not yield substantial rewards on most other characters... dancer is actually a bad idea in LTC because they end up falling behind without rescuing assistance, boots or no boots.

Edited by dondon151

Lord: Using the boots on your Lord character gives you better range to seize the throne, castle, etc. Fliers have enough movement as is and won't have to carry your Lord as far with the additional movement on the Lord class.

I usually give them to a flier, alongside pretty much every resource. This gives an excellent unit for any defeat boss or rout mission, or gives a pretty great taxi for the Lord if you have to seize.

But your funds rank would go down if you sold the boots, since they're double the value just sitting in your inventory. :[

Personally I've seen the best results with using boots on a flier. In terrain-heavy maps, you just get so much out of them. FE8 is the one game where I'd consider giving the boots to Ephraim or Eirika since they have 7 mov after promotion and also have pretty good combat (Ephraim especially), you get the warp staff on the same chapter, and the game overall has smaller maps and less terrain to deal with.

But your funds rank would go down if you sold the boots, since they're double the value just sitting in your inventory. :[

Personally I've seen the best results with using boots on a flier. In terrain-heavy maps, you just get so much out of them. FE8 is the one game where I'd consider giving the boots to Ephraim or Eirika since they have 7 mov after promotion and also have pretty good combat (Ephraim especially), you get the warp staff on the same chapter, and the game overall has smaller maps and less terrain to deal with.

Ephraim and Eirika are likely to spend most of their time on Chapter 16 being rescued by other units. I think that alone would disqualify them as Boots canditates, quite besides the fact that there is a significant amount of terrain in Chapters 20 and Final.

I would say flier most of the time. Being able to blast over impassible terrain and make a beeline for the throne is always nice. Although I did check immobile because of Oswin. You can't not love Oswin, I mean he has the word "win" in his freaking name.

Usually a flier. Miledy just shows up as the perfect candidate for them in FE6, FE7 has a plethora of guys winged people to give them to. In FE8 it doesn't matter a whole lot cause of Warp, but I usually still give them to Cormag.

• 1 month later...

fe6-

Casual-Axemen

For drafts/efficiency-Mounts, preferably Miledy or maybe Thany/Tate.

fe7-

Mount, probobly flyer.

fe8-

Dun matter most of the time due to warp/rescue fun.

But I give it to like, WL!Cormag, Garcia, or GK!Gilliam/Duessel or Ranger!Gerik.

While I will admit that this isn't the BEST use of the boots, for the most part, I tend to give my boots to units with low movement, such as generals, at least in the GBA games. Even when I try(and fail)to do things efficiently, I subconsciously give the boots to the unit with the lowest movement, just to make things a little more fair to that unit(and in the cases of someone like Oswin, I can't even use rescuing to mend the issue since a 16 con unit can be carried by very few promoted mounted units)

Edited by Vanguard James

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was always a big fan of giving them to a Nomad Trooper equipped with a Longbow.

Seems to offer the greatest potential reach from one single boot use.

Lord makes the most sense to me aside from giving them to your Dancer. On a flier, its a bit redundant i think. (especially if you have multiple fliers in play. Rescue chain!)

When im feeling like "aww hell with it!", i give em to the guys that i wanna use who have low Move. Like Oswin.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually gave my swiftsoles to the immobile units, not knowing at first how handy they'd be. And then I set that unit to move, saw their range, and was like ' :awesome: WELLLL OHOHOHOHOHOOOOO'