So I guest scientist in the FE world have yet to discover the law of gravity or how the planets work.

Nothing can extinguish that sense of curiosity over the unknown and discover it's secrets.

The fact that the world is on the verge of destruction every thousand years doesn't really help, though.

Edited by Alg

Nothing can extinguish that sense of curiosity over the unknown and discover it's secrets.

I sense a fellow scientist among us... [/happy dance]

You don't need a reason to question the way the world around you works, OP. It's for the science, for the love of discovery, for the love of the chase, the experiment, the conclusion. It's like playing the game itself: you try out different theories and techniques and watch the end result unfold.

in a realistic world, characters would be flying starships in awakening if shadow dragon preceded it by 1000 years

2000, actually. And the Jugdral games were another 1000 years ahead.

So yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. No wonder the developers apparently considered Fire Emblem on Mars. I guess the closest thing we have to an explanation is that a world with magic would develop in different ways, having less or at least different needs for "normal" technology. That's the important thing to consider, of course: FE was never supposed to be fully realistic.

Edited by Othin

It IS also the middle/medieval ages. EVERYONE back then were physics noobs.

Not the same Universe. There is no Middle ages there. Also according to the series their evolution of technology and knowlegde in general is really slow.

SUPERIORITY!

Edited by Happy_Dingo

No, it would be like our real life instead.

Think about it. I assume the FE3/12 timeline is the same as the 10th century.

that would leave FE13 at around 3000 A.D.

maybe you meant the 1st century?

This makes me wonder about Jugdral. At this point they may be, even if just slightly, more advanced than Varm/Ylisse, though we know nothing of how Jugdral is faring these days while the Grima business happened over here.

For those wondering about the progression of time and technology: Remember that human science and technology has improved more in the last hundred years than throughout the whole of human history. And while magic and the laws governing it may have been common, Miriel is (to my knowledge) one of the first FE characters to take an actively scientific approach even though she uses magic (Or perhaps because she uses magic). You can go "But it's magic you don't need to explain shit" and I think that fits for 99% of the cast - but she goes "No I do want to explain shit" and figures it out.

Assuming they're successful in the future, Miriel and Laurent may, in the distant future of the FE universe, be looked back on in the same way we think of people like Aristotle, Steno, Copernicus, Galileo, etc - a figure whose studies would end up revolutionizing the world and becoming the foundations of modern sciences, even if not during the era they were alive.

No, it would be like our real life instead.

Think about it. I assume the FE3/12 timeline is the same as the 10th century.

okay i'm going to respond seriously for a second even though this topic was never meant to be seriously discussed in the first place

1. the setting of fire emblem is an amalgam of what people like to perceive as being the "middle ages," even though some aspects are clearly taken from time periods after the middle ages.

2. for all we know, we could be flying starships in the next hundred years. industrialization is magic.

3. othin corrected me: FE1 precedes FE13 by 2000 years. i should amend my original statement to express my surprise that the people in the FE13 haven't inflicted a nuclear holocaust upon themselves.

tl;dr i'm not saying that you're wrong, but there really wasn't any need to correct what was an obvious hyperbole in the first place

But the scientists already knows that earth resolves around the sun.

I think it was in her Vaike support, when she said it was written in one of her mother's book...

Besides, how were we able to prove how earth works before we were able to go to space.

Edited by TendaSlime

I think you are all heavily overestimating a 2000 years timeskip.

The first Fire Emblem was clearly more inspired by ancient Greek and Roma then anything else. That's what the art resembles. That's were all the names come from.

I know that the remakes changed at least the art and even some aspects like slavery, but it's not like those new designs suit any other epoch any better.

Victorian age or whatever seems like a very fine choice to me after a 2000 years time skip.
Granted, they probably should have figured out gravity and stuff out by now but not nuclear weapons or Spaceflight.

For warfare, cannons and rifles would probably more relevant, though.

Edited by BrightBow

But the scientists already knows that earth resolves around the sun.

I think it was in her Vaike support, when she said it was written in one of her mother's book...

Besides, how were we able to prove how earth works before we were able to go to space.

She still questions it though, and I get the idea it wasn't a mainstream discovery.

And the solar system was 'discovered' by observing the other stars and planets and how they moved through the sky, IIRC.

in a realistic world, characters would be flying starships in awakening if shadow dragon preceded it by 1000 years

I don't know about that: Shadow Dragon has a pretty basic level of technology. Stuff like swords, spears, axes, and bows have been around for thousands upon thousands of years, and steel has been around since 4,000 BC. Ballistae were invented in Ancient Greece, 2400 years ago.

I think you are all heavily overestimating a 2000 years timeskip.

The first Fire Emblem was clearly more inspired by ancient Greek and Roma then anything else. That's what the art resembles. That's were all the names come from.

I know that the remakes changed at least the art and even some aspects like slavery, but it's not like those new designs suit any other epoch any better.

Victorian age or whatever seems like a very fine choice to me after a 2000 years time skip.

Granted, they probably should have figured out gravity and stuff out by now but not nuclear weapons or Spaceflight.

For warfare, cannons and rifles would probably more relevant, though.

Yes.

It's also possible that magic played a part in it. If you can use magic for everything, than why do you need to explain anything? Also, who says technology needs to evolve with the times at the same exact rate as in the real world? It'd be odder if it did. The worlds are very different, and there are too many variables.