Am I the only guy who likes Brom?

I see a lot that Brom really isn't very popular, and I see a lot of people don't think he's a very good unit. I actually really like Brom, he's one of my favorite characters. Am I the only guy that likes Brom? And why does the majority seem to dislike him? He always turns out to be my best unit of his class. Maybe I'm just odd... *Shrugs*

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say he's... *puts on sunglasses*

Quite the old Chap. I like him. He's quite the family man.

lol Japanese name jokes

It took me a moment to get it, but when I did I chuckled lol :P:

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

I think people tend to prefer younger-looking characters. I admit we can be rather discriminatory...although I've only tried him like once in FE9 and 10. He's a pretty decent unit.

I think people tend to prefer younger-looking characters. I admit we can be rather discriminatory...although I've only tried him like once in FE9 and 10. He's a pretty decent unit.

I never really tried to calculate his age exactly, just always kinda figured he was middle-aged since he has such a big family. Maybe 40-45? *Shrugs*

I got no beef with Brom as a character at all. Seems fine enough. Small town family man wants to fight for the sake of his land and family. Sounds sweet.

As a unit, i cant really say in PoR, because i really never used him. I dont use armors in that game anyway because PoR is the Mounted Unit (and Soren) Show. In RD, i used him once and his speed was pretty bad and his move was even worse. So i didnt use him again.

I got no beef with Brom as a character at all. Seems fine enough. Small town family man wants to fight for the sake of his land and family. Sounds sweet.

As a unit, i cant really say in PoR, because i really never used him. I dont use armors in that game anyway because PoR is the Mounted Unit (and Soren) Show. In RD, i used him once and his speed was pretty bad and his move was even worse. So i didnt use him again.

I thought his speed was the best of the three armored units in RD? Maybe I'm confusing him with Gatrie... *Shrugs* For movement, I give him the Boots! :D:

Gatrie has an extreme speed growth in RD, it's like 60% or something. As for using Brom, I like him. I don't know if I like him more than Gatrie, but I used him in my most recent HM run of PoR and he served me well. He slowed down near the end, but most Generals tend to do that by endgame.

I always used Brom in part 2 of RD, but beyond that, he doesn't see much use since I feel Gatrie's speed growth makes him a more usable unit later on. I don't see an issue with using Brom altogether, though. He's a good enough unit, and although not better than Gatrie, there is little that separates them in PoR to cause much dispute. I like armor knights, so he has a place on my roster when I feel like it.

Gatrie has an extreme speed growth in RD, it's like 60% or something. As for using Brom, I like him. I don't know if I like him more than Gatrie, but I used him in my most recent HM run of PoR and he served me well. He slowed down near the end, but most Generals tend to do that by endgame.

I always used Brom in part 2 of RD, but beyond that, he doesn't see much use since I feel Gatrie's speed growth makes him a more usable unit later on. I don't see an issue with using Brom altogether, though. He's a good enough unit, and although not better than Gatrie, there is little that separates them in PoR to cause much dispute. I like armor knights, so he has a place on my roster when I feel like it.

I have no idea what the percentage of growths are, in all honesty. I'm clueless in those sort of departments... In my last RD playthrough, Brom capped his level and all stats except for Magic and Resistance. I think the max was like 30 or something?

Yes, you are completely unique, the only person who likes Brom.

But really, I think he just doesn't stand out much since everything about him is pretty average. His personality is a bit bland but not non-existent, he's average at best in combat in both games, and he's not a cute girl*. As a result, he's just the kind of character people don't think of much.

*It also hurts his case to always be seen with Nephenee, a cute girl. She's also better than him in both games.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Yes, you are completely unique, the only person who likes Brom.

But really, I think he just doesn't stand out much since everything about him is pretty average. His personality is a bit bland but not non-existent, he's average at best in combat in both games, and he's not a cute girl*. As a result, he's just the kind of character people don't think of much.

*It also hurts his case to always be seen with Nephenee, a cute girl. She's also better than him in both games.

I knew it! I love being unique, muwahahaha. I'd have to disagree with you on his personality, I think it's pretty unique when compared to other characters from the series. Combat is debatable, in my personal experiences (as I've said) he's always been a good unit. I don't care about the gender of the character lol, well at least not usually... :P:

I think the problem people have with Armours in tellius is that in fe9, they had bad move and in fe10 they had bad move and bad tier 2 caps.

Boots can fix movement, mwahahaha :D: I generally always save them for armored units in all the games in the series, they need them the most.

Brom is okay. I don't use him because if I want an armor unit I use Gatrie (I like Gatrie more, it's a happy coincidence that he performs better than him [well, in FE10]), and I never use more than one armor unit in any FE game. Ever.

Oh on top of the bad move don't they also take horrible terrain penalties? The poor guys are only able to move one space per turn in the desert. xP

Edited by Pikachu

Brom is okay. I don't use him because if I want an armor unit I use Gatrie (I like Gatrie more, it's a happy coincidence that he performs better than him [well, in FE10]), and I never use more than one armor unit in any FE game. Ever.

I generally don't use more than one either. There aren't very many to use to begin with, but still. I do wonder why most say that Gatrie performs better than Brom in RD, I mean you have more time with Brom so logically he'd have more time to get trained up.

Gatrie has the best distributed growths EVER.

60 in strength, defense, AND speed?! YES.

*glares at the magic users who barely have half of his defense and speed growths*

Gatrie has the best distributed growths EVER.

60 in strength, defense, AND speed?! YES.

*glares at the magic users who barely have half of his defense and speed growths*

But he still wouldn't have as much time to train up like Brom, at least in RD, right? I always found him lagging behind everyone else, and by the time I got Brom back I just benched him.

Brom has all of 1 more map in RD than Gatrie and pretty significantly worse bases (8 less HP, 6 less Str, 4 less Spd, 3 less Def) and growths. Gatrie even has better weapon choices and ranks and can promote whenever. Yeah, Gatrie stomps Brom pretty hard in RD.

Brom has all of 1 more map in RD than Gatrie and pretty significantly worse bases (8 less HP, 6 less Str, 4 less Spd, 3 less Def) and growths. Gatrie even has better weapon choices and ranks and can promote whenever. Yeah, Gatrie stomps Brom pretty hard in RD.

False, Brom has 3 more maps! :P: And as I've said, in my personal experience, Brom just turns out better. By the time Gatrie comes, I usually already have Brom trained up more, and since I only use one armored unit I just use Brom.

Brom has 2-1, 2-2, and 2-E without Gatrie.

Gatrie has 3-P and 3-1 without Brom.

3 - 2 = 1.

It is true that Brom can get more action in those maps than Gatrie, 2-E in particular, but he has quite a deficit to make up.

Not trying to say you shouldn't use Brom or anything, of course. Use him all you want, and if he tends to turn out better than Gatrie for you, more power to you both. But all this is rather solid reasoning people consider Gatrie better, because everyone's random personal experience is different.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Brom has 2-1, 2-2, and 2-E without Gatrie.

Gatrie has 3-P and 3-1 without Brom.

3 - 2 = 1.

It is true that Brom can get more action in those maps than Gatrie, but he has quite a deficit to make up.

Not trying to say you shouldn't use Brom or anything, of course. Use him all you want, and if he tends to turn out better than Gatrie for you, more power to you both. But all this is rather solid reasoning people consider Gatrie better, because everyone's random personal experience is different.

Ahhhhhh yeah I didn't subtract or anything like that. My bad, sorry! :sweatdrop: I can definitely understand the reasoning behind Gatrie being a better unit. And I do have to be honest, I have a tendency to play favorites when making my team...