So how's the SMT gaming going?

Yeah SMT4 has really streamlined a lot of gameplay and it's quite a bit easier than its predecessors. This does make it more accessible imo, and the DLC content does a decent job giving a good challenge.

The Fiend grinding annoyed me to no end, however. Stupid and pointless. SMT3 you had to go out of your way for most of em but you didn't have to rely on some BS rng counter.

It's not BS, it's a throwback to SMTI and II.

[/sarcasm]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small revival of this thread but I assume more of us have played Smt4 now which I'm highly enjoying it.

Anyone wish to share their experiences with it?

I haven't yet, still being blocked from the 3ds dream... but, how's your time with it so far?

Small revival of this thread but I assume more of us have played Smt4 now which I'm highly enjoying it.

Anyone wish to share their experiences with it?

I'm on the Neutral route. I have defeated one of the final bosses and have only one final boss left. Right now, I'm desperately trying to get one of the fiends spawn without any success. 1/256 chance to spawn is kinda bullshit if you ask me.

Edited by Hawk

I haven't yet, still being blocked from the 3ds dream... but, how's your time with it so far?

Its quite fun, bit easier to get into then smt1 and 2 and I enjoyed those a lot. The demon fusion is as fun as before and the skill transfer system is nice, as are the apps and its not nearly as easy to get lost. The characters are great, music is phenomena, voice acting is also grand.

I'm on the Neutral route. I have defeated one of the final bosses and have only one final boss left. Right now, I'm desperately trying to get one of the fiends spawn without any success. 1/256 chance to spawn is kinda bullshit if you ask me.

The chances are still better then finding a shiny in Pokémon at random. And those fiend rates have been that way since Smt1 haha

I'd wager fighting the Fiends is a bit more important than finding a palette swap of a Pokemon.

I found Etrian Odyssey to be my cup of tea when it came to Atlus titles, but not to say that the SMT series is in any way shape or form bad. I do, however, think that some of the art needs to be redone. Some portraits that are used are coming close to 20 years old, even in SMT IV.

I'd wager fighting the Fiends is a bit more important than finding a palette swap of a Pokemon.

It honestly depends on the fiend, really. There's no completion check in SMT IV like there is with the Pokedex. And the item drops or other rewards also vary. Chemtrail's a pointless fiend for example, while ones like Red Rider (Screw that fight by the way. It does not follow the logic of the other random fiend fights and is so...ugh) have a really great reward.

Also Mother Harlot's actually one of the few fiends that's NOT random. She's like David: Quest based.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

So when I get to the point of a new game+

Are my alignment points also carried over (which would be dumb but I can see it being possible) Some games will keep relationship values on replay *Tales of Symphonia for instance*

Just wondering

I doubt it. Alignment points didn't carry over in any of the past NG+ I've played of SMT games.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd only vaguely heard of SMT before the game was announced, but after looking into it, I'm interested in trying it out. Admittedly, I'm more interested in playing the Persona spinoff series, but I'll give IV a shot once my local GameStop has a pre-owned one. At least I'll have a better grasp on the series once SMT x FE comes out.

Fight DLC bosses if you wanna feel the wrath of Atlus and their joyful artificial difficulty ^_^

Lol, will keep in mind.

I'd only vaguely heard of SMT before the game was announced, but after looking into it, I'm interested in trying it out. Admittedly, I'm more interested in playing the Persona spinoff series, but I'll give IV a shot once my local GameStop has a pre-owned one. At least I'll have a better grasp on the series once SMT x FE comes out.

Smt4 and Personas 3 and 4 are good introductions to the franchise. The other games are a bit more hardcore

Struggling through If... I'm almost out of material covered by the incomplete story guide and I really don't think it'd be worth it to do the routes where I can't read anything.

Probably finally getting around to the NG+ of Soul Hackers next.

Struggling through If... I'm almost out of material covered by the incomplete story guide and I really don't think it'd be worth it to do the routes where I can't read anything.

Probably finally getting around to the NG+ of Soul Hackers next.

I already started my NG+ on Soul Hackers

Smt4 and Personas 3 and 4 are good introductions to the franchise. The other games are a bit more hardcore

I just started SMT: Persona for the PSP, and it's interesting so far despite the older feel. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I'm digging the combat system.

I just started SMT: Persona for the PSP, and it's interesting so far despite the older feel. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I'm digging the combat system.

Persona 1 is interesting, its like a mixture of some Persona concepts with the feel of older Smt

First playthrough of Strange Journey here (reached second sector). Already in love with it, but i preferred the Nocturne and Persona fusion systems.

What exactly changes in Soul Hackers NG+. Just whether you fight Tiamat or the other one?

Are we talking about the 3DS remake?

Because if so, there are a few Bonus Bosses that are only available in New Game + in it.

• 3 months later...

just to throw in my 2 cents, i played through soul hackers and enjoyed it overall, although it seems less unique overall than the fire emblem series (not a whole lot of character development). i also played a bit of SMTIII and persona 3 and quite a bit of SMT4, as well as bits of a lot of the spin-offs just to try them out. based on the rate that new info on SMT x FE is coming out (i.e. none) i'll prob. have time to go back and finish my PT of SMTIII, which i'll prob. do before going back to P3. should i play strange journey before SMT4 or is it pretty similar to soul hackers?

Strange Journey has a lot of similarities with Etrian Odyssey, (I think it shares the map engine?) Soul Hackers was pretty unique with the demon personalities aspect, and SJ is more similar to Nocturne or 4.