So how's the SMT gaming going?

A friend gave me Persona 4 since he got Golden. When I first heard of the crossover, I was still looking for my PS2 power cables. I'm getting into P3FES after beating 4 and will probably buy SMT4 soon (Fire Emblem bonus). If I like what I play, I'll try to nab Nocturne.

The amount of effort Atlus puts into their games is pretty impressive

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMT IV is the most accessible to beginner, but even then SMT is not SMT without the slightest of grinding. Of course you can avoid grind but the battle system would expect you to get wiped pretty quick. Even my level17 MC get wiped by level 10 demon because the Press Turn system could turn any battle upside down. To prevent those wipes usually you expected to grind and have access to better demons. I believe those main story bosses does not require intensive grinding. Challenge bosses on the other hand......damn that David

A friend gave me Persona 4 since he got Golden. When I first heard of the crossover, I was still looking for my PS2 power cables. I'm getting into P3FES after beating 4 and will probably buy SMT4 soon (Fire Emblem bonus). If I like what I play, I'll try to nab Nocturne.

The amount of effort Atlus puts into their games is pretty impressive

Yep, that includes voice acting for their games too. Many Japanese games nowaday is released as dual language, but Atlus is the only one who persist English dub only for their overseas title. But that never bother much since Atlus is really care about voice acting in their games. You would see big name voice actor in their cast.

• 3 weeks later...

SMT2 is going pretty well, it improved alot on SMT1's mechanics from just having a simple MAP to being easier to navigate and its pretty fun to fuse again of course.

Playing P3P/P2 now, because I could buy both for slightly over 20 €.

P3P is strange because I seems to pass the vast majority of the game NOT fighting or fusing monster, just make a trip to Tartarus once a month.

I'm planning on getting P4 the Golden, because I reallly enjoyed P3P more than I thought...

I also played Devil Children a long time ago (Not sure of the exact name), Dark Version, and partially Light too. I didn't know they were SMT Game at the time.

I started Strange Journey a while ago, but the difficulty kinda stopped me...

I missed DS Overclocked when he came out here, and DS1 and 2 are unplayable on emulators anyway (barely unreadable text)

I plan to revisit some of the older SMTs to get the endings I didn't get before

SMT2 is going pretty well, it improved alot on SMT1's mechanics from just having a simple MAP to being easier to navigate and its pretty fun to fuse again of course.

You know, IIRC there was an SMT1 hack that made the map function exactly like SMT2s map, I think

Nocturne's soundtrack is amazing.

I know right, I'm tempted to say it has the best soundtrack in SMT

Edited by Soledai

• 3 weeks later...

I am obsessed with Shin Megami Tensei.

Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha, Digital Devil Saga 2, and Persona 1-4/P4 Arena are games I've adored.

I am interested in seeing what Shin Megami Tensei becomes now that Atlus has been bought. I am even more interested in seeing how it coincides with Fire Emblem! XD

The only theme I can really see being a common theme is the elemental properties in certain weapon attacks.

Edited by jwulfstan

I've played a heck of a lot of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked lately. I've completed Gin's Route and I'm up to fighting Metatron on the 8th Day of Naoya's Route, choosing not to kill demon tamers.

I've also preordered SMTIV and Devil Survivor 2, as they're not out in the UK yet.

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

I now own SMT4 and Persona 1. Can't say I enjoyed P1 all that much(too much grinding), and honestly SMT4 doesn't resonate with me that much either.

Edited by shinpichu

I've beaten Persona 3: FES and Devil Survivor, but that's the extent of how far I've gotten in the series. I own but still have yet to beat Soul Hackers (second vision quest), Strange Journey (getting rare forma for Jack's Squad), SMT4 (stuck on fight against Minotaur), Persona 4 (stuck on Shadow Yukiko T_T), and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (currently level/card grinding at Giga Macho Records).

Got a long ways to go. >_>

I've beaten Persona 3: FES and Devil Survivor, but that's the extent of how far I've gotten in the series. I own but still have yet to beat Soul Hackers (second vision quest), Strange Journey (getting rare forma for Jack's Squad), SMT4 (stuck on fight against Minotaur), Persona 4 (stuck on Shadow Yukiko T_T), and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (currently level/card grinding at Giga Macho Records).

Got a long ways to go. >_>

Alright, I can help with these. I'm pretty heavy into SMT.

Minotaur's main problem is the War Cry debuff, which he then follows up with the Labrys Strike. War Cry's pretty lethal to the point where it wouldn't be out of place on a boss closer to the endgame, which is just terrible. That said, you'll likely want to abuse the Press Turn mechanic by peppering him with Bufu and using any turns that someone without Bufu may have on either buffing (mainly to either offset the War Cry or to boost Agility so that he misses more and loses Press Turns) or passing to someone who can cast more Bufu.

Word of advice, though, after this fight; overhaul your team to outfit them with Zan skills (with Zio or Gun resistance, if at all possible), or come packing lots of Zanma Stones. Medusa comes pretty quickly after Minotaur, switches up resistances and may well be just as hard because her Gun attacks hurt like a bitch.

As for Shadow Yukiko, it all depends on which version you're playing. If it's the original, she's much harder due to not having any glaring weaknesses and forcing you to essentially coddle Chie through the entire fight. If she or one of your Personas has Mabufu after she summons her first mook, you can use it to get a One More chance and deal damage to Yukiko at the same time.

In Golden she's much easier because now Shadow Yukiko is the one who's weak to ice, not her Prince Charming, so you can initially spam Bufu with impunity for All-Out Attacks and just keep Yosuke using either Sukukaja buffs, minor healing or some lesser damage. Of course, the next major boss right after is Shadow Kanji, and he's even more of a pain due to his two mooks... but worry about that later. If all else fails, grind grind grind.

Also, if you can find a copy of Devil Survivor 2 somewhere, I highly recommend it. They fixed a lot of the gameplay issues that were in the first game - it's much easier to level up your full party now due to leaked EXP, there's more demons to fuse, more bonus bosses, you actually have to earn your bonuses as opposed to the original throwing them at you all at once... Plus the characters are actually more interesting, too.

Pulled some miracle and barely got to the Neutral route on SMT IV. Currently initiating some clean-up, and am trying to figure out how to optimize one of my critters (debating between straight mage or the scariest support unit ever).

This Tokyo Map in SMTIV is the worst thing in the world. This is actually my first SMT game and I really enjoy it. I have never played a RPG this tough before. Even if you grind, the enemy (even random ones) still has a chance of killing you. I love it.

The Terminals make everything easier. But I do have to look at walkthroughs just to figure out where to go.

I am happy to say that I have only looked at the walkthroughs twice.

This Tokyo Map in SMTIV is the worst thing in the world. This is actually my first SMT game and I really enjoy it. I have never played a RPG this tough before. Even if you grind, the enemy (even random ones) still has a chance of killing you. I love it.

The Terminals make everything easier. But I do have to look at walkthroughs just to figure out where to go.

I am happy to say that I have only looked at the walkthroughs twice.

And the funny thing is this: SMTIV is actually very tame compared to other SMTs from my understanding.

Really, the game does get easier though.

I find the early areas of SMT4 harder than usual but the difficulty tapers off until it becomes very easy. Random encounter ambushes can kill you a fair ways into the game but generally if you can KO most of the enemies on turn 1, you'll be fine. One enemy is manageable, but a team of 3 or 4 is dangerous. After clearing Naraku, all the bosses are pretty simple afterwards so long as you know the value of stat buffs and debuffs. There's only like one miniboss in the entire game who doesn't tolerate a Luster Candy + Debilitate/Antichthon strategy and will counter it.

• 4 months later...

I am tempted to grab this on the eshop tomorrow before the sale goes off. It is $29 right now. Any thoughts on whether I should get a hard copy or just go digital? I am wanting to get into this series more after playing devil survivor several years ago.

I am tempted to grab this on the eshop tomorrow before the sale goes off. It is $29 right now. Any thoughts on whether I should get a hard copy or just go digital? I am wanting to get into this series more after playing devil survivor several years ago.

I see no reason not to get the digital version, there's not a whole lot of advantages to the hard copy. Either way, I'd strongly encourage you to buy it for $30; it's an amazing game, definitely worth it at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah SMT4 has really streamlined a lot of gameplay and it's quite a bit easier than its predecessors. This does make it more accessible imo, and the DLC content does a decent job giving a good challenge.

The Fiend grinding annoyed me to no end, however. Stupid and pointless. SMT3 you had to go out of your way for most of em but you didn't have to rely on some BS rng counter.