Enter: The Arena - Fire Emblem Character discussion Thread.

TharjaAssault

Exactly! Like I said, relevance and importance to the series (including how many recent appearances the character has had in its home series) should be the main factor.

Why?

Relevance doesn't mean squat. Mega Man's last MegaMan game on a Nintendo console was 3 years ago. Before Marth appeared in Melee, his last game came out in 1993 (8 years before Melee came out). The most recent Wii Fit game came out 4 years ago.

Hell, if relevance was important to the series, we'd see Jigglypuff long gone from now, same with Ness. And Captain Falcon. And Ike would have no chance to be in Smash 4 since FE10 came out 5 years ago.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I meant that recent appearances should be taken into account only IF they've had a recent appearance at all. Ike is still important to FE as is Marth and the rest of those characters still have importance to their franchises as well.

Except Jigglypuff, actually. I really have no idea why it's still around. It should be cut.

From my understanding, she's in deliberately to be a joke character. Which is probably why the drastic change in performance in Melee compared to the original and Brawl because Melee also had Pichu. Now as to why her in particular... well, beats me. Jigglypuff was popular in Japan way back then. As for recently, my only guess is seniority. *shrugs*

Okay, but you CAN NOT equate what was going against crash to any Nintendo characters. Adding Roy would be NOTHING like trying to add Crash to PSBA

Fair enough, I was just trying to bring up a case where popularity doesn't get characters in. Even so, my point still holds for characters like K. Rool and Ridley not being in Brawl. They're popular and highly requested, yet other factors stopped them from being in.

You do realize Sakurai has given his three rules for how he picks characters right? Relevance (A term most people throw around too strictly) and importance werent actually art of them?

Yeah, he never explicitly said that. Still, I doubt he's going to add characters like Fawful (Mario & Luigi RPGs), Joshua (from FE8), or Salamence (from Pokemon) just because they're popular or heavily requested. Relevance does play a role in terms of preventing characters like those from being playable.

Yeah, he never explicitly said that. Still, I doubt he's going to add characters like Fawful (Mario & Luigi RPGs), Joshua (from FE8), or Salamence (from Pokemon) just because they're popular or heavily requested. Relevance does play a role in terms of preventing characters like those from being playable.

But none of those characters are highly requested..

Fawful is moderately requested, but the other two, yeah, I'll admit there's barely any support for them. I was just using examples.

I guess I'll use another example that actually holds true: Ogma was the second most requested FE character back in the Melee era, yet Sakurai didn't include him. He was actually planning to have Leaf as Marth's clone (but it ended up being Roy), despite Leaf only being the 4th most requested FE character, when he could've used Ogma.

Robin (Avatar) would be an interesting addition, he's the most possible magic user to be in Smash Bros (The others are not as popular or relevant).

Standard attacks: Sword

Neutral Special: Fire, casts a fireball, stuns opponents.

Side Special: Thoron, casts a ray of lightning, penetrates opponents, good knockback

Up Special: Elwind, covers himself in a gust of wind, pushing him upwards

Down Special: Counter (Can't think of anything better, so why not)

So.. I thought I'd share this with you all.

[spoiler=I'm a horrible person for finding this funny]PPlLM9m.jpg

I'm a horrible person too.

If I polled only people that played FE, yes, perhaps. But if I polled EVERYONE, I think Ike would get more votes because he was in Brawl and Chrom wasn't. And I'm sure more people have played Brawl than Awakening.

This is a bit old, but wouldn't polling people who DIDN'T play FE defeat the purpose of finding a good representation for the series? Not only that, but Ike isn't the only FE representation in the Smash Bros series, he's got Marth and Roy to compete with as well...

Masked Marth instead of Marth. Everyone "wins" then. "Marth" for the unaware still remains the FE rep and won't tell the difference besides new costume and the mask (Melee/Brawl marth can be alternative costume) however it will have extra significance for the fans and won't be so much of a spoiler (Although that hasnt really been a factor). Would make more sense for Castle/Arena Ferox representation and probably whatever other stage(s) they decide to release.

So.. I thought I'd share this with you all.

[spoiler=I'm a horrible person for finding this funny]PPlLM9m.jpg

No, that's pretty awesome and accurate. :D

If it was Emmeryn instead of Chrom or Lucina, I actually wouldn't mind too much since she'd add to the versatility, but she's a poor rep for FE13 as a whole (Chrom is the best pick for that).

Masked Marth instead of Marth. Everyone "wins" then. "Marth" for the unaware still remains the FE rep and won't tell the difference besides new costume and the mask (Melee/Brawl marth can be alternative costume) however it will have extra significance for the fans and won't be so much of a spoiler (Although that hasnt really been a factor). Would make more sense for Castle/Arena Ferox representation and probably whatever other stage(s) they decide to release.

No.

There's plenty of Marth fans out there (myself included) that would be outraged at having the real Marth replaced with a poser. There's even plenty of people out there that don't really care for Marth as a character, yet would still really hate this for not even having the #1 most important character to Fire Emblem be his own character, and being reduced to a costume. I mean, that's like replacing Pikachu with Pichu and having Pikachu reduced to a costume, you don't do that to the series' mascot. Lucina should be the costume for Marth if anything, for being a one shot and flavour of the month. There's no way a one shot character is replacing the most reoccurring lord in the series (who also happens to be the protagonist of the very first game), who even had his own anime episodes based off of his game, was featured on the cover of the trading card game boxes (which covered FEs 1, 3, 4, and 5 at the time), has his Falchion as the Emblem replacing the enitre FE series in Smash Bros., is the FE character that has the most playable appearances in Smash Bros., and has really high popularity (especially in Japan).

This is a bit old, but wouldn't polling people who DIDN'T play FE defeat the purpose of finding a good representation for the series? Not only that, but Ike isn't the only FE representation in the Smash Bros series, he's got Marth and Roy to compete with as well...

No, since FE players aren't the only gamers that play Smash Bros. I was trying to make a point that due to Ike's appearance in Brawl as well as having two games released outside of Japan, he's likely the most well-known lord behind Marth and a secondary mascot to the series (with Marth being the primary). Roy was in Melee, but he didn't have the luxury of his game being localized, plus Brawl is a more recent game. This is why I think Sakurai ought to do FE's gang this way:

Ike and Marth stick around always since they are the mascots, a la Mario and Luigi or Link and Zelda (Marth being Mario's and Link's equivalent while Ike is Luigi's and Zelda's. Only difference is, Marth has only been unlockable while Ike got to be a default character). Chrom will be in this game as a third rep, but get replaced by the next new lord in Smash Bros. 5, and from then on, the third rep will be replaced again and again. Unless a third potential FE mascot arises, a la Peach or Toon Link (I really don't see him being cut). Then we'd get a fourth FE rep that would always be replaced. I don't think FE needs more than four reps, so it would stop there. This way, we have FE's most popular and well-known lords from both sides of the globe (Marth for the east, Ike for the west) and the series will always get up to date representation.

Edited by Anacybele

I can not wait for your reaction when Ike is removed.

It's also very amusing that you can't realize your own bias towards Ike simply because he's your favorite and are refusing to realize that Chrom is most likely the most known out west now (I say this because FE13 has already sold as much as FE10 has out west, since FE10 was released, not including digital copies). I realize I keep bringing this up, but it would be nice to get an opinion from you that isn't skewed by bias for once.

Edited by Child of the Tenth Month

I can't wait to see yours when he isn't.

What reaction? That one of the characters I main stayed? Awesome, I won't have to learn much :D

Whether he's in or not I get to smile. Win win for me.

Well then, good that you won't complain. I'd be very disappointed if Ike was removed (I might even tear up a little, given how much I adore him), but I certainly wouldn't go whining and complaining about it everywhere.

Posted · Hidden by Narga_Rocks, June 17, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Narga_Rocks, June 17, 2013 - No reason given

I can not wait for your reaction when Ike is removed.

All I see here is baiting and trying to get a negative reaction. Knock it off so we can have some legit discussion in this thread. Thanks

I really don't see Ike as one of the series mascots. Yeah, he appeared in more than one game, but there are plenty of characters who've been in multiple games (BARTRE FOR SMASH 4 YEAH.)

I expect Ike to be cut for Chrom honestly. If we get a third rep, I'd hope for it to be Anna, but I'd be cool with Lucina too.

what legitimate discussion, do you mean all the biased fanboys and girls being unrealistic?

because if that's what you want by all means, i can leave

are you having fun waving your minimod stick, does it make you feel big and stwong

I really don't see Ike as one of the series mascots. Yeah, he appeared in more than one game, but there are plenty of characters who've been in multiple games (BARTRE FOR SMASH 4 YEAH.)

I expect Ike to be cut for Chrom honestly. If we get a third rep, I'd hope for it to be Anna, but I'd be cool with Lucina too.

you are reasonable I like you

Edited by Child of the Tenth Month

But no other lord besides Marth was the MAIN CHARACTER in two games. Eliwood and Hector weren't even playable in FE6's main story.

Ike's no where near the level that Marth's on though, they're barely comparable. Marth was main lord in 4 games (technically 2 but whatever), the first lord and a bunch of other stuff. Leif comes pretty close to Ike too, lord in FE5 and regular playable in FE4.