Do You Wear Seatbelts In Vehicles?

Randoman

Wearing Seatbelts In Vehicles  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Wear Seatbelts In Vehicles?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah no offense but it's not exactly the most controversial topic, let's be honest .3.

Granted, I know there are other sides to this debate-- when I was seeing my fiancee's family in Texas and Arkansas they made me ride without belts a lot (for reasons I can't recall... pretty sure it was mostly related to them being unavailable and whatnot). Dx But personally, and even though they were making fun of me for it and stuff, I hated not having seatbelts... it was incredibly nervewracking. I kept a death grip on the dry-clean handles (or whatever purpose those are supposed to serve) the entire time.

In the UK it's the law.

Previously when I went to Tunisia when I was younger the cars didn't even have seatbelts, we only had the hand things on the sides you can hold onto. Maybe it was just our specific car, but I don't know about the laws there.

I can tell you that in the Middle East and North Africa (and probably China and India), even though it's the law in most places, a looot of drivers (and passengers) skip out on the seatbelts. When they get near police, they pull the seatbelt over themselves without actually buckling it, and then let it go again after passing by.

It's pretty sad and dumb but what can you do*. :[

*For dramatic effect. I know in Iran at least, they had a very lengthy campaign involving PSAs, commercials, heavy fines and the likes to promote seatbelts. It has only half worked, but...progress!

^ That's not uncommon here in the States, either. I've known quite a few people over the years who do just that. My father and stepmother are prime examples.

Edited by Frank Castle

I definitely do. I just got into a habit of doing it, so if I don't I'm like '...this is awk'. I remember sitting in the back of a girl's car during driver's ed (we were using the company's cars) after my own driving test. And she didn't tell everyone to buckle up, and I was about to, but the instructor gave me a hard look so I didn't. And then halfway through the drive he was like '....so what should we do about these seatbelts'. And she was like 'OMG YEAH SORRY'.

In Hawaii, it's illegal to not wear a seat belt while driving. Or while a passenger. Or while in the BACK SEAT.

We take seat belts seriously, so I've always worn one. Given the way I drive, it's for my own safety.

Wow, I've never seen such a one sided poll on SF before.

...then again, when it comes to safety, that's how things should be.

This result cannot be surprising. Only suicidal people do not wear seat belts. And it is illegal in most countries in the world. I cannot believe that the US have loosed laws. Only occupants up front have to wear them.

In the UK it's the law.

Previously when I went to Tunisia when I was younger the cars didn't even have seatbelts, we only had the hand things on the sides you can hold onto. Maybe it was just our specific car, but I don't know about the laws there.

In Hawaii, it's illegal to not wear a seat belt while driving. Or while a passenger. Or while in the BACK SEAT.

We take seat belts seriously, so I've always worn one. Given the way I drive, it's for my own safety.

Isn't it illegal to not wear one in America?

"Nobody" gave us an overview about the legal regulations about wearing seat belts in all countries. Here is the link:

http://chartsbin.com/view/2028

Buses never use them, because a large vehicle going slowly doesn't really need them, especially when half the passengers are standing and the other half are probably only going a few blocks.

That goes for passengers too. I don't move the car unless they all have it clicked.

My mom did this. Probably how I got into the habit.

I put the seat belt on when I get in the car, and don't take it off until I leave, even if I'm just sitting in a parking lot for ten minutes for whatever reason.

I use to not wear it when i rode in the back seat, but now i generally do it. It became a thing after my family was caught in an illegal family trip (car had 1 more passenger than it should have and people in the back where not wearing seat belts, product of the extra person).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................``~.,

.............................,.-"..................................."-.,

.........................,/...............................................":,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:"........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}

...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../

...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../

This facepalm is also for all my posts.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

Storytime: just a week and a half ago, I was in an accident, broke my collarbone. If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt, I would have been tossed out the window, and broke a lot more than just my collar bone. Wear your seat belts, kids.

I mean, when I wear the seatbelt, it's not usually for safety reasons. I don't really envision myself getting in a wreck, even though I guess it can happen. I just like taking turns at high speeds, and if you try doing that without a seatbelt then it's much harder.

Safety is for nerds

Edited by Esau of Isaac

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that it should be a "Depends" option.

I wear seat belt in cars but never on trains and busses.

On Airplanes I will.

My general thought is that if it's my turn to die, the seat belt in a buss won't save me anyway and I'd rather not have tummy aches because of poor design.

• 2 weeks later...

yes and no

Yes 99% of the time I do. It's something I do without realizing it sometimes.

No I don't wear it on my way to work. I live 30 seconds away, driving distance, literally down the street. I show up JUST in time all the time so every second counts for me and I don't wear for such a drive. It takes 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off and when you show up for work like I do, then you would understand why I don't.