What do you prefer: City life or country life?

MisterIceTeaPeach

County or city life?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the country life or the city life?

• county
    • city
    • both are equal

A life in the city or in the country has its advantages and disadvantages. Here a few of arguments:

For example in a city you can contact people very easy, have a good mobility through a good traffic infrastructure and you manage your workings (shopping, school, doctor) in a distance and in a short time. But therefore you have to deal with a higher noise and enviroment pollution.

In a country you have silence and much nature. And the hires of houses and flats are cheaper. But you have a poor mobility and flexibility. You do not have means of local transport. Without a driver license it is almost impossible to manage all your workings.

So I would like to ask you, if you prefer the life in the country or the life in the city.

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

I'd take the city life, thank you.

Country life would be too slow paced for me, and as a person who gets bored too easily, I wouldn't "survive" in the country. I do acknowledge its advantages though.

Although either one is better than the unlisted suburban life.

I've lived in big cities through my whole life, so i don't really know.

I tend to idealize country life quite often specially when i'm stuck in traffic haha. I used to camp and go to rural locations a lot until 2 years ago or so and i really, really miss that, so it's quite common for me to get bucolic, but i don't really know if i'd prefer to live permanently in the country.

I think i like the way my city is, a very populated city that isn't dense, is full of parks and in the middle of nowhere, surroundes by farms and savanna/forests. Everyone who lives here can go "feel" the country lifestyle every weekend, and there are many people who own small farms nearby and go spend weekends there

Edited by Nobody

I mean I really enjoy living in the suburbs but I think that' just because everyone I know is around here. I'm curious as to why people don't like the suburbs?(actually curious)

i like living just outside the city.

I would be okay with this.

Alternatively the country life would hopefully be away from city lights and thus light pollution is minimal and the sky must be extremely clear which would be awesome. I don't like the fast paced and noisy life of the city, but i also dislike the inconveniences of living in a small town/country

Edited by SlayerX

I need to be in the thick of things often. I need to see people and i need interaction. Public transit doesnt bother me. I need culture, i need ideas, i need art. I need visual oddity, i need diversity.

Country life is definitely out.

I'm curious as to why people don't like the suburbs?(actually curious)

Monotony.

I live in the country (so to speak) and even though theres not much going on, it gets kinda quirky and bizarre around here. (usually in a good way.) Theres things to do if you are into the outdoors and of course, novelty, like gold panning. In the country, there are other ways to keep busy. Like hunting, gardening, etc.

In the suburbs, its the same plastic looking thing every single day. Everything looks so mass produced much more so than even a major city. Theres little in the way of identity. This is why people hate the suburbs.

i like living just outside the city.

Yeah, id be ok with that too actually. In fact, id be pleased as punch if this town was located like, ten miles from San Francisco. Sadly, it isnt. :/

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

As someone who's lived in both, they both have their own advantages. Off the top of my head:

1. Less traffic and higher speed limits on roads.

2. You're more likely to know everyone nearby.

3. More space both inside and outside of your home on your property.

4. The air is cleaner and you can see the stars on a clear night.

City:

1. More variety in the people you can hang out with, and less rednecks (apologies to anyone here who fits the redneck stereotype).

2. Easier to get good internet and TV service.

3. Don't have to drive 20 miles to go to work, school, the store, or anywhere else of note. And, depending on where in the city you live, you might be able to avoid the horrific traffic altogether by walking to everything.

4. You can get pizza delivered to you. People who've lived in the city their entire lives might think this is a minor thing, but In the middle of nowhere, if you are out of food and don't feel like going anywhere, your only option is to not eat anything that day.

I've lived nearly equal halves of my life in the countryside and the big city, and the answer is simply the city. Not even a doubt in my mind. I will say though that cities tend to have very different characters and I prefer the cities that serve more as a cultural than an economic or governmental hub, and has a very international orientation.

In short, I prefer Amsterdam.

I would want to live all the way out in the country, but any amount of time in cities horribly, horribly depresses me, so country wins out of those two. Something where I could get into a city for the exciting stuff every now and then but don't have to deal with it for more than a few hours at a time is ideal for me.

1. Less traffic and higher speed limits on roads.

Traffic is less congested on I-580 on a monday in Livermore, than it is in my town. :P:

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Guys, you're free to make a ticket and request stuff be moved (but don't abuse this). As I'm in agreement with the sentiment to move this to General, off it goes~!

(as for the topic at hand. . .city, but not by choice. I need to be close to a hospital)

Guys, you're free to make a ticket and request stuff be moved (but don't abuse this). As I'm in agreement with the sentiment to move this to General, off it goes~!

(as for the topic at hand. . .city, but not by choice. I need to be close to a hospital)

i agree. though, as of late, a few of the topics near the top don't belong either.

i don't think this should be in serious discussion

Ok, I see. I guess, my tropic introduction was too generic. I have edited it.

My intention was to have a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages to live in a city or in the country.

Eh, I think it's tame enough to warrant putting it out here, and you should get a better variety of opinions, too!

I've lived across the spectrum, from major metropolises to backwater sludge pits. After much thought I've cast my vote for "both are equal".

Right now I live in the country without a car. I cycle to the supermarket once or twice a week with my basketed steed of manly valour (twenty-five minutes each way). I also cycle to work, which luckily is closer than the supermarket. Buses are infrequent, but they offer passage to civilization. And using public transportation (even if my local bus is overpriced) is much cheaper than buying, driving, and maintaining a car.

This works for me. I prefer living in the city, but on weekdays my spare time goes into studying, writing, or otherwise hiding from society, so it's not that important to me. The city's nice because I enjoy exploring urban landscapes, not because I can't keep myself entertained.

As long as I'm within striking distance of civilization I'm happy. I've lived in middle of nowhere towns that were truly in the middle of nowhere and it was terrible. But being in the country is the best option for me at the moment because rent is much cheaper and I owe masses in student loans. I'm also not really missing that much. People watching is harder, and I can't bum around parks, restaurants, or bookstores, but I wouldn't say my quality of life suffers out here.

My answer is pretty much the same as Wist's, though recently I have been coming to favour the peace and cleanliness of country life more and more because I'm getting old. Sadly though, even with this, I realise living in the country doesn't give you all the conveniences of city life (especially the capital, where our house is). And sometimes yes, urban landscapes can be fascinating. Night time city vistas (especially of highly developed ones), I think, are very gorgeous because of all the lights and reflections and such.

In the end, if you ask me right now, I want country life. I think, though, this may be more affected by certain personal circumstances rather than anything else. Maybe if you ask me once they're done with, I'll give you a different answer. Something more along the lines of "both are equal".

Seventeen people have never lived in the country. This guy got it right:

I've lived nearly equal halves of my life in the countryside and the big city, and the answer is simply the city. Not even a doubt in my mind. I will say though that cities tend to have very different characters and I prefer the cities that serve more as a cultural than an economic or governmental hub, and has a very international orientation.

In short, I prefer Amsterdam.