Did some digging on if's writer

TKHikaru13

So if's story writer is Shin Kibayashi. I decided to do some digging (Aka, stalking his Wikipedia page) and I'm sharing what I've found and how that could affect if.

First thing's first, is that Shin has an obsession with pen names. Seriously. He's written under seven different pen names. While Nintendo name dropped him as Shin Kibayashi, don't be surprised if another name is used in the credits.

Secondly, most of his works involves detective work or solving mysteries. Said mysteries are often thought of as unsolvable within the manga, but the heroes are obviously capable of solving it. That said, Shin has also done fantasy, one soccer themed manga and one manga involving wine tasting (Go figure).

Thirdly, Shin's the writer of Get Backers. I'm not familiar with the series, but if anyone has read/watched or knows about it please tell us about it. Wikipedia says it's pretty well received, but the proof is in the pudding.

Lastly, as mentioned above, Shin also wrote a manga about wine tasting. Yeah...Kind of odd but apparently the New York Times listed it as one of the best selling manga and it's had a really positive impact on the wine selling business.

So there you have it. As far as I can tell, Shin Kibayashi seems to be a pretty well received writer. Anyone familiar with his works can give us more insight on his writing style. In the meantime, I get the feeling if's in good hands.

Unfortunately I've only read the original Kindaichi series (which wasn't written by him). He only did the newer series and some of the side/spin-off stories which I haven't read yet.

I only saw the Gerbackers anime(and in spanish) so maybe Im not the best judge of it but from what I remember it was above average. The series follows 2 friends who do odd jobs(mainly item retreival, hence the name Getbackers).One controls electricity and was once known as the Lightning/Thunder Emperor( from the spanish Emperador del Trueno) and the other had super strengh and could create illusions. It was okay but had alot of ''we used to be friends, but not anymore so we must fight to the death!'' plotlines.

''We used to be friends, but not anymore so we must fight to the death!''

Seems to be the plot of IF in a nutshell. Hopefully it's a lot more than just that though.

Edited by TKHikaru13

''We used to be friends, but not anymore so we must fight to the death!''

Seems to be the plot of IF in a nutshell. Hopefully it's a lot more than just that though.

If they handle it like they did in the show, well, let's just say we dont have to worry about not being able to recruit everyone in a single playthrough.

The true question that we must ask is. Was it good ? Was it original ? Was it awesome ? How does he handle the plot, how does he write it, and all of that ?

According to Belmont, it doesn't seem bad, but I still want to ask.

I think I can guarantee a very solid plotline from Shin Kibayashi especially since at least from my experience I read his manga by the title of Bloody Monday which brings in a definitely political environment. I'm not the very best at explaining things, but in this title he really went all out with lies, deceit, and intrigue plaguing the lives of all the characters within the manga. No one really appears in the same light after a few chapters and he does rather decently with character development.

At the moment, I think he's branching out into some more genres but I don't think we have to worry all to much about having a lackluster story. I'm sure he'll manage Nohr's revolution plotline well and adding a twist or two to keep things interesting, but not coming from the left-field. He might also be able to subvert people's expectations with Nohr and Hoshido's black and white morality outlook.

This is just from reading Bloody Monday, maybe he'll be more inspired from other style's he's already created since at least this manga is fairly modern and the protagonist is a hacker so let's see how the story goes, but I really have no fears that it will be bad.

I only saw the Gerbackers anime(and in spanish) so maybe Im not the best judge of it but from what I remember it was above average. The series follows 2 friends who do odd jobs(mainly item retreival, hence the name Getbackers).One controls electricity and was once known as the Lightning/Thunder Emperor( from the spanish Emperador del Trueno) and the other had super strengh and could create illusions. It was okay but had alot of ''we used to be friends, but not anymore so we must fight to the death!'' plotlines.

Glad to know someone saw Getbackers in Spanish just like me. :)

I wasn't worried about a poor story, because he seems very capable at turning out good stories if he can turn a manga about wine tasting into a best seller.

He might also be able to subvert people's expectations with Nohr and Hoshido's black and white morality outlook.

It would be really awesome if he could manage to subvert both Hoshido and Nohr utilizing what makes both countries.

Example: Hoshido is peace loving, but with peace comes stagnation. Nohr is glory seeking, but glory seeking begets strength. Take what each country is defined by and make that simultaneously it's strength and weakness.

Meh. I don't like Bloody Monday. It just seems so dull and boring to me.

I also have the faint memory of a lot of japanese patriotism.

Maybe It's just me, and maybe I should reread it, it's been a lot of years, but...

Welp, I'm sure we'll have at least one person duty-bound to their country if not everyone except Kamui really. Realistically, people wouldn't just switch sides in a war after a brief talk, so I'm guessing this game will take on towards that approach a bit more.

Ryouma practically screams ''I will defend my country no matter what'' in my eyes at least.

Edited by almi23

Welp, I'm sure we'll have at least one person duty-bound to their country if not everyone except Kamui really. Realistically, people wouldn't just switch sides in a war after a brief talk, so I'm guessing this game will take on towards that approach a bit more.

Ryouma practically screams ''I will defend my country no matter what'' in my eyes at least.

if you have watched the recruitment tutorial in fe 9/10 you will see that just asking will get the job done

"hey do you want to join me"

"sure"

^And theres american patriotism up the wazoo in nearly every medium and yet i still watched captain america and listen to country music.eh

Chances are, that I never even heard about it, either because it was way too subtle for me, because I'm too stupid, or because I don't generally watch/listen/play much the kind of thing that provide american patriotism. By example, I never watched captain america or listened to country musics. Heck, I never even touched a comics in my life.

Unlike with Mangas, J-RPGs and that kind of things.

And like I said, while I do have a concrete memory of it since I'm talking about it, I only have a faint memory of it. some things like the usuals numerous shounen cliche (Well it IS a shounen), but also some fanboying over Japan and a lot of its ideals.

Edited by B.Leu

Well okay, its just that i live close to america and get a good amount of their media so saying something has Japanese patriotism as a flaw is kinda pointless as the NA market is pretty full of american patriotism. If you were just stating a point thats fine.

Well okay, its just that i live close to america and get a good amount of their media so saying something has Japanese patriotism as a flaw is kinda pointless as the NA market is pretty full of american patriotism. If you were just stating a point thats fine.

It's a flaw if they destroy your face and/or the plot and/or common sense with it. And if there's a lot of it.

I wouldn't even call myself a Otaku because of that, manga, anime, J-RPG and such have the nasty habit of dissapointing/annoying me with that kind of things.

But like I said, it's only a faint memory, as well as only one of his works, so yeah.

But the fact what I'm mainly remembering that is not very encouraging to me.

Edited by B.Leu

• 1 month later...

i've seen GetBackers in English subbed, as well as dubbed. it is episodic story telling with no real overarching plot, but rather an overbearing setting known as the Limitless Fortress. a little bit from each episode slowly trickles into the Limitless Fortress setting to tie the plot together at the end; similar to but not exactly like Cowboy Bebop or Pulp Fiction's story design

[spoiler=on protagonists and characters]

you learn more about some characters or nothing at all from each story told, but in the end you will still be left with about 20 to 40% fog or shadow on the picture of who someone really is. some can argue that there are more shades to the protagonists, as well as the colorful cast they encounter during their jobs (most are superhumans also hailing from the Limitless Fortress, only a few are normal humans to serve as foils,) but the recurring theme is that there is a surface facade they put up (for each other and for the public) and a more sinister, darker, evil layer beneath that they are trying to hide, run away from, not relapse, control etc etc. everyone's got a monster inside waiting to be let out, and some characters are more okay with letting it out than others

of the two protagonists, Ban Mido helped out? defeated? the other, Ginji Amano, when he was the leader of the Limitless Fortress and going by the name of Lightning Emperor; they've been together ever since. think of it as someone you've fought with (maybe physically, maybe with words,) but you realize you're both really cool (in this case, share superhuman powers) and are better off as friends / big bro & lil bro. fast forward a couple years and they're running their business of getting back whatever you lost along with a running shtick of successfully completing a job but receiving something asinine as payment. Ginji Amano is no fearsome "Lightning Emperor" now, but just a walking doormat that goes along with whatever his aniki Ban Mido does..or so it would seem?

the anime had decent action and well timed jokes with a large likeable cast, although the first few episodes are a little "protagonist is a one trick pony" a la Jing's Kir Royale. in my opinion it was overall a satisfying story, even if not the best told / well written / decently paced. what i've always taken away from watching GetBackers is that it was a microscope on the characters (personalities, abilities) instead of the story making 110% sense

i haven't read or seen any of the other examples listed in the OP, but this is what i know of GetBackers (anime only.)

i hope it helps.

Edited by buttmuncher.ops

Realistically, people wouldn't just switch sides in a war after a brief talk, so I'm guessing this game will take on towards that approach a bit more.

Part of me wants Cath/Katarina/Gangrel type of recruitment where we have to talk to them multiple times to recruit them and the other part doesn't. If they do decide to have multiple characters like this, I hope said characters aren't uber strong in said chapter.

Edited by Magician Lugh

...And obvopusly the only one I heard about is the wine tasting ones, though I never got to read it for some reason though.

Apparently there's even some great oenologist who prefaced it in France (You bet it didn't go unnoticed over there).

Maybe the plot will be a compilation of his previous works. I cannot wait to see Kamui solving soccer mysteries while tasting wine!

This needs to be written as Fanfiction. Or a Video game. Or both. Edited by Fantasia