Character Designs

hauteclere

Well excuse me, how was I supposed to know that you're actually Asian and know what you're talking about? I was thinking that you were the one that didn't have a broad enough view of the topic considering the eastern Asian-inspired stuff I've seen, so I'm fucking sorry, okay?

I constantly refer to being chinese like

all the time

and provided a reference using actual chinese terminology in chinese

it's fairly obvious

I wrote an entire paragraph in chinese last time i tried to educate you on cultural sensitivity are you that forgetful

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I constantly refer to being chinese like

all the time

and provided a reference using actual chinese terminology in chinese

it's fairly obvious

I wrote an entire paragraph in chinese last time i tried to educate you on cultural sensitivity are you that forgetful

Just because you know Chinese or another Asian language doesn't make you Asian. SOC knows multiple languages, but he's not from Asia. I think.

Just because you know Chinese or another Asian language doesn't make you Asian. SOC knows multiple languages, but he's not from Asia. I think.

Rey's Filipino last time I checked and I know Chinese with absolute native fluency way better than English

Why else do you think I'm trying to tell you to have more cultural awareness anyway

Edited by Thor Odinson

YEAH, cause i'm learning italian in school but I'm NOT italian!!111!! my sister is learning french, but my family is not from france!!!!

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I think Camila is pretty. I think she has a pretty design, but I don't like her small clothes. whatever that means, i'm in a rush, i'll elaborate later

with the exception of Camilla's strange boob belt

Don't even fucking get me started. I liker her hair though.

Anyway, I'm overall pleased with what we've seen so far. I think Felicia and her blue counterpart may be my favorite designs at this point. As for the royals:

I'm fine with both Kamuis, the Femui thigh holes are weird though. Not sure yet how I feel about their capes that are also straps. Their outfit is clearly inspired by their dragon forms or vice-cersa. I'm a fan of all of Aqua's design as well (hopefully, those are just leggings we see). I actually appreciate them all being barefoot. It's different and I think it works for these characters.

Out of Hoshido, the best for me is Takumi. He has a lot going on but it seems to mesh really well. Sakura is a new class and I think her design represents it well. What is that on her backside though? It looks like a strange hybrid between a belt and a saddle. I kind of like Hinoka, she just looks a bit too much like Sully to me and that scarf bugs me. I appreciate the blue ribbons that both the sisters have though. Ryoma, oh Ryouma, the camera angles were not kind to you and until the Famitsu leak I had convinced myself that you were in a red, metal onesie. I like it though. Very Samurai, iffy on the partial-face mask for me. Also, like what we've seen of the Hoshidan ruler, though several pauses at her in the trailor to see her outfit better an I'm convinced the terrors of hell are behind her smile.

Nohr's a bit harder besides Camilla as I equally enjoy their designs. Marx's just screams royalty, and rightfully so. The colors blend well and I'm fond of his hair, but not sure about his black crown. I really like Leon. His mage armor is beautiful. And the hint of crazy his design gives off provides a nice juxtaposition from his mastery of magic and general perfection. I feel like Elise custom designed and made her own outfit it and I love it. Her entire design is so bright and filled with childish innocence in stark contrast to the darker colors. Garon seems a bit too evil for comfort but it's not terrible.

I think the Jeigans and cavs have potential and I hope we get more art of them soon.

The designs on both Hoshido and Nohr are great. Some are pretty bland, but there's good designs on each side.

Ryouma looks extremely overdesigned, almost like they gave up on deciding a class halfway and just threw him in as a Sword-Wielding class. Sakura and Hinoka seem a bit bland in terms of design, only thing I like about Sakura is she has a cute and kawaii face. Orochi, Kazahana, and Saizou by far have the most interesting designs I've seen. Seeing them makes me wish they put more effort to the Chon'sin characters in Awakening.

Marx looks alright. Camilla, well I really don't need to say much. She's obviously designed for a certain audience. Elise has the cutest design of any healer I've seen in FE. Leon is bland, he's just in the Dark Knight armor from Awakening and that's about it.

Felicia is the best because maids are adorable.

google Okita Souji from Rurouni Kenshin for starters, Toshizo Hijikata if you need another; Both are historical members of shinsengumi often portrayed in anime works, which is a fair comparison due to the art style of Fire Emblem also following anime design conventions rather than 100% historical accuracy.

Usually in romanticized historical works, both live action and anime, ponytails are fairly common hairstyle for men.

I don't mean to interrupt, but I agree with this so much. I play a lot of games imported from Japan (historical otomes especially) and it's incredibly common from what I've personally seen. As someone who loves long hair on men, I love it!

One of my favorite games has a TON of long-haired romanticized historical men:

Oda Nobunaga - http://i.imgur.com/bANlrLw.jpg

Akechi Mitsuhide - http://i.imgur.com/rIPQhvy.jpg

Mori Ranmaru - http://i.imgur.com/3RdWiNy.jpg

then there's Yoshitsune with crazy long hair - http://i.imgur.com/MYDdvMQ.jpg

and there's a ton more I could name, and that's not even diving into other genres of games like musous. It's pretty awesome.

I had no problem imagining Thor as Chinese because I know exactly 0 white people who know Chinese.

And I live in Southern California.

Not exactly the most scientific way to deduce someone's ethnicity, but it seems to be on the mark most of the time! :D

It was just kind of ignorant to draw assumptions from... cartoons. Or Tom Cruise. In a medium accessible to the entire planet.

I don't mean to interrupt, but I agree with this so much. I play a lot of games imported from Japan (historical otomes especially) and it's incredibly common from what I've personally seen. As someone who loves long hair on men, I love it!

and there's a ton more I could name, and that's not even diving into other genres of games like musous. It's pretty awesome.

I like this post. Very beautiful post. Very my thing.

which answer @Thane wrt liking FEI designs

well, I'm a serious sucker for dudes with long hair and East Asian aesthetics (acknowledging the difference between each country and ethnic group) so I mean, Hoshido was an easy draw-in for me at least with the dudes

But seriously, what is it that you all find appealing? I'm genuinely curious, even if it's subjective and not really something one can describe easily, but I just don't see it; I don't like anyone in terms of design.

I don't have super high standards and I'm not really picky, I suppose.

I was going to post a pic of Nobuyuki from SW4, but your post works well.

I still should... maybe

I don't think any of those guys look like women though. Somehow, Tsubaki still looks much more feminine to me.

You should watch Saint Seiya.

You would LOVE that anime.

Samurai definitely like long hair.

But long, flowing ponytail is probably a little impractical for battle.

I'm late, but how would a ponytail be less practical than long hair exactly?

I'm late, but how would a ponytail be less practical than long hair exactly?

Bun >>>> ponytail >>> long flowing man mane

Long hair can sort of get in the way. Mind you, this doesn't stop it from being included in tons of character designs, but whatever.

When I first saw aqua in the first trailer, she gave me high hopes for this game. afterwards i was sorely disappointing. all the designs just have too much, especially the avatars, whose armor is hideous to me (lets hint at them being dragons, guys, not shove them into snake skins) it all seems likes there was a good stopping point where the designs would have looked great, then they went too far and added more. Also I'm really not liking the bumpy faces, it makes them look like preteens. I don't mean to hate, I'm just super picky when it comes to character design so this game has come as a big disappointment in that aspect.

I like Camilla's face and hair. I think Hinoka's design is improved from Awakening Pegasus Knights. Leon looks cool to me. Female Kamui's thigh holes don't bother me since that's like what every female myrmidon and swordmaster does (Karla, Lyn, Fir, not a swordmaster but Eirika, etc.) I find Aqua's design to be as conservative as any other dancer.

Bun >>>> ponytail >>> long flowing man mane

Long hair can sort of get in the way. Mind you, this doesn't stop it from being included in tons of character designs, but whatever.

Buns are an absolute pain to make though

I happen to have a fairly long ponytail myself at the moment(~40cm?), and while I'm not a samurai, it does require very quick rotary movement for it to get in my way at all. From my experience, untied long hair is considerably more of an annoyance, to the point where it's more about getting used to having it in the face regularly than trying to do anything about it. So actual fighting? I'd rather not try.

I've whipped myself in the eye with a ponytail ;-'

I can slap myself repeatedly with mine if I decide to.

... what were we talking about again?

I never knew so many people actually liked the designs...I feel like such a special little snowflake.

But seriously, what is it that you all find appealing? I'm genuinely curious, even if it's subjective and not really something one can describe easily, but I just don't see it; I don't like anyone in terms of design.

(I realize this is a few hours late sorry). I'm a huge fan of the Asian aesthetic of the Hoshido designs, and I maintain that Tsubaki's armor is the best thing since sliced bread. So that's that. The Nohr designs took some time to grow on me, since it used to bother me that Elise has strange hair, Camilla has a strange boob strap, and female Kamui has a strange crotch window. For me, the positives weigh out the negatives for the Nohr designs: I love the intricacy of the armor, I personally like the color schemes, and Marx has a beautiful cravat. Sometimes I definitely do feel they're a bit overboard (what is Camilla's bottom half), so I don't like them as much as Hoshido's, but overall I think they're nice. TL;DR: It's all subjective, and I have a weakness for cravats and long-hair.

I'll admit part of the appreciation I have for the designs in If stems from the thought of "well they're better than Awakening's." Which isn't exactly the best reason to like something, but it works for me.

Also cute imoutos are a plus.

tumblr_naxo13ksUP1shpjp4o1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_navlwgcpTA1qd73ml.gif

If not for anything else, the hair animation will make you laugh.

...That IS some weirdass hair animation there. :/

Oh yeah, I do admit that I'm fine with Camilla's face, hair, and even her head piece. It's the rest of her that's hideous to me.

Buns are an absolute pain to make though

I happen to have a fairly long ponytail myself at the moment(~40cm?), and while I'm not a samurai, it does require very quick rotary movement for it to get in my way at all. From my experience, untied long hair is considerably more of an annoyance, to the point where it's more about getting used to having it in the face regularly than trying to do anything about it. So actual fighting? I'd rather not try.

I can slap myself repeatedly with mine if I decide to.

... what were we talking about again?

I think something about fighting with long hair, and on that note i think you could get your ponytail or long hair grabbed in combat, but then again i don't think it is quite that bad as the hair is on the back of your head and if you can reach it, a knife in the neck might have been better use of your time, and i think grabbing a ponytail isn't very honourable anyway.