Character Designs

hauteclere

I guess I've seen "breast armor" so many times in other games that I barely even care when I see it in this game.

Honestly, that whole thing aside, I think Elfie's got one of the best looks so far. Hopefully we get some personality traits on her in the issue tomorrow.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i'm sure others have already saw the new female armored knight. Is anyone else a little put off by the breasts that literally serve no other purpose than to be eye candy? Whenever I look at her, I can't help but think about just how much better the classic armored knights, like Sheema looked in the past.

I'll take her design over Kjelle's and Kellam's any day.

I agree that FE6 and FE3 had good designs for female knights, though Elfie is, by no means, as sexualized as Camilla.

Edited by Leif

I'm liking the designs more than Awakening, definitely. From what we've seen so far, the designs seem much less "random" and stay true thematically to either side - the ninjas all have cleavage windows and scarves, but their outfits are pretty uniform; the royal siblings follow each other's color schemes (barring Takumi, but he's supposed to be the black sheep of the family so it's a good design choice to have him in blue vs the other siblings' red).

The poses for this game have been brought up, but.... honestly, I like them? I feel like Awakening at least had a lot of really static OA, with the girls in poses that were really bland and didn't say anything about their personalities at all (also managed to hide a lot clothing/armor details :/). Like, say what you will about Elise's pose but at least you can clearly tell what kind of person she is, which, imo, is what OA is supposed to do. Sakura is a little bit stranger.... I think Kozaki wanted the same amount of liveliness Elise has, but still stay true to her character, which resulted in.... whatever she's supposed to be doing. She is pulling her little cape thing up though, so it billows more, which is an intimidation/defense tactic to make one look bigger to ward off potential threats. What I get from her awkward posing is "I'll fight if I have to, but I really don't want to," and the position of her feet, especially compared to her siblings suggests inexperience. In comparison, Elise's stance is far more confident and it seems like she's inviting you to fight (something like "my siblings can definitely beat you up," maybe, considering she's a healer?)

I like the subtle mirroring of Ryouma and Marx in regards to their special weapons - Ryouma has his blade drawn with his arms wide-set, like he's challenging someone (the only thing that annoys me is how he's still holding his scabbard), while Marx has his sword sheathed and turned down, but still stands in an authoritative pose, with the camera angled slightly up at him.... Again, challenging someone, but in a way that seems to say, "Son, just don't," rather than Ryouma's "meet me in the pit".

Hinoka - Camilla - Takumi - Leon are a little stranger. On one hand, Hinoka and Camilla are meant to foil each other, but Hinoka and Leon match up more pose-wise as both are clearly ready to fight. On the other hand, Takumi and Camilla seem more introspective, looking like there's something on their minds rather than focusing on an external force. In Hinoka's case, she's adopting a wide stance, intended to intimidate, with her lance posed in a way to add to that "intimidation" effect rather than actual use (though she could easily go into a full fighting stance with the way she's standing, if someone still dared to challenge her). Leon (and all of Nohr in general, actually) adopts a smaller stance. It isn't necessarily less powerful, but commands it in a different way. Wide stance generally means ready to fight, while a smaller stance, depending on other factors, but especially with squared shoulders and a high chin indicates a character already being superior to whatever they're focused on. Leon doesn't quite have the stance down like his brother does, but his outstretched hand and smug grin make him more ready to fight.

Camilla takes notes from Marx, just as Leon does, but more in the way she handles her weapon. However, in contrast to Marx, the posing of her legs (she has all her weight shifted onto one foot) suggests more of a nonchalance than his authoritative pose. Her focus on her hand is also prominent. Symbolically, at least in anime/manga (and then taking what we know of her character into account), focus on one's own hands indicates a fixation with power, being powerful, or the realization of having newfound power/strength. In her case, I believe it's a slightly unhinged "I could kill anyone (if it's for Kamui's sake)" kind of deal, especially with her smile. Takumi on the other hand, also adopts a wide stance, but his back is facing the viewer, and his shoulders are pulled back, suggesting a kind of grudging compliance, again fitting his character.

It may be true that not pants is not an awakening thing, I just don't like the fact that it seems to be a rule. So you're not wrong, but I just feel differently about how important the pants are.

And about the Tellius pants ratio, I see no problem with mages or healers wearing skirts and Calil's outfit really fits her character so I see no problem there. Myrmidons, pegi-knights and sodlier class female, okay could be. I would personally be very uncomfortable moving around like they do with the clothes they were XD but that aside.

And you can discuss about Panne, I agree that humanoid characters often care less about clothes, but I just don't think wearing something like that fits Panne's character. (I could once again reference to the Tellius games for that as well :P)

Glad I managed to elaborate my opinion a bit better

Well I don't really care either way about the pants thing but I can understand where you're coming from, especially for the mercenary and mount riding classes.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to about Panne and Telius. As for her personality, I don't recall anything in particular about her that would make her dress differently. I'm not saying a lack of clothes fits her personality better though.

I don't really have a problem with Panne specifically (designwise, pose is a different matter) since it seems to just be how taguel dresses at large, if you look at what Yarne wears in comparison, it's pretty much the same thing. It's certainly not the best design-though I'm fond of the way he handled the ears-it's just kind of a thing.

Yea, that's also a good point.

I really like the Hoshido designs though it's strange we haven't see anywhere near as much Nohr designs. Makes me wonder if Nohr will have smaller roster or not.

I think they're just holding back on them for now.

Well I don't really care either way about the pants thing but I can understand where you're coming from, especially for the mercenary and mount riding classes.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to about Panne and Telius. As for her personality, I don't recall anything in particular about her that would make her dress differently. I'm not saying a lack of clothes fits her personality better though.

Tellius also has humanoid shapeshifters, but they dress more 'normal'

Tellius also has humanoid shapeshifters, but they dress more 'normal'

Oh. Well like someone else said, Yarne dresses similarly to Panne so it doesn't seem to be a gender thing.

At first I didn't know what everyone's issue with Camilla's design was.To figure it out, I looked up her design.Then I saw the panty window. Now I understand

I mean, if you cover up her bottom half and just look at her face, she's really pretty!

... And then you see the disaster that is her clothing. At least we have her portrait. I still love you Camilla

Well I mean, Panne is just a bad example of a designs that are made worse because of unnecessary gendered loss of clothing/armor; there are way better examples in FEA, like...

I'm forever bitter about Sully; Love ya girl but the only thing they got right about her design is the hair. Randomly having no shoulder armor? It's a Femcav thing. No pants on a character who is very serious about her fighting and rides a horse? Also a Femcav thing. Also is written to be quite muscular in-text but not drawn as such. Didn't help that Cav is a pretty terrible design to start with, thanks toilets. Sully got pretty shafted in the design department. At least her pose is alright, though.

Sucks 'cuz she's my actual favorite character and I love her despite the poor design decisions, but poor design decisions still stand.

Edited by Thor Odinson

At first I didn't know what everyone's issue with Camilla's design was.To figure it out, I looked up her design.Then I saw the panty window. Now I understand

There's also the mysterious brown thing going across her chest for no apparent reason that makes her armor design look even more stupid.

At least they got the hair and face right... and the rest of the design will be covered up by text boxes.

Well I mean, Panne is just a bad example of a designs that are made worse because of unnecessary gendered loss of clothing/armor; there are way better examples in FEA, like...

I'm forever bitter about Sully; Love ya girl but the only thing they got right about her design is the hair. Randomly having no shoulder armor? It's a Femcav thing. No pants on a character who is very serious about her fighting and rides a horse? Also a Femcav thing. Also is written to be quite muscular in-text but not drawn as such. Didn't help that Cav is a pretty terrible design to start with, thanks toilets. Sully got pretty shafted in the design department. At least her pose is alright, though.

Sucks 'cuz she's my actual favorite character and I love her despite the poor design decisions, but poor design decisions still stand.

If you look at that blue and pink-haired female cavalier from that picture (where she's dual striking with F!Kamui) from way back when, it seems like she has black tights on and a light-pink, long-sleeve shirt under her armor. I think her design (her clothes, at least) will be better than Sully's. I liked Sully's personality, so I secretly hope that she'll be a similar sort of character.

Edited by Leif

If you look at that blue and pink-haired female cavalier from that picture (where she's dual striking with F!Kamui) from way back when, it seems like she has black tights on and a light-pink, long-sleeve shirt under her armor. I think her design (her clothes, at least) will be better than Sully's. I liked Sully's personality, so I secretly hope that she'll be a similar sort of character.

I'm really hoping for her info soon. Her design interests me and judging from Cyrus, Cav designs actually look pretty solid this time around. From the model it looks like she has some sort of shoulder armor on too, I think, so that's good.

There's also the mysterious brown thing going across her chest for no apparent reason that makes her armor design look even more

At least they got the hair and face right... and the rest of the design will be covered up by text boxes.

When I first saw the brown thing, it was in a torso only picture of Camilla. I honestly thought that the brown thing was Camiila's axe handle shoved between her breasts.So yeah.

I'm all for female fighters, but this new girl looks silly. It's like they pulled Alice straight out of wonderland and put her in a bikini and chains.

Can she even lift an axe?

At least it makes sense given the little blurb or her character

Charlotte Profile:

Starting Class: Axe Fighter

A mercenary of the border of the Kingdom of Nohr.
She can be seen as a truly kind girl by anyone who talks to her, but this is just a play to get any man under her control. Her true nature is that of a strong yet crude hand to hand fighter. She dreams of marrying into high wealth and social status.

Though she really still should be buffer yes

On another note, http://puu.sh/i7cJS/1b8c3c15a8.png Rinka's (promoted?) design looks interesting; wonder what that is

Edited by Thor Odinson

^ according to the description i saw (thx translators) she seems to be a man manipulating, gold digger that likes to fight. It seems to fit her character.

True, I still think it's ugly though. Like, not even her clothes specifically, just all of her. Although I was saying we needed more non beautiful playable characters so if she's supposed to be one then I approve!

I kinda like it, at first glance she looks pretty, she shows skin, she has boobs, she has a hair bow, she has some armour. But if you look any deeper it kinda falls apart, ie it looks good on paper but in actuality it dosen't quite feel right or look good. Which seems to basically be her character. If that was intentional, that seems pretty damn fitting.

I kinda wonder if its the lack of huge muscles that are putting people off, i never get why ripped = strong fighter tbh.

Honestly the worst aspect of the look is the bow for me. It just looks so juvenile, like she's 8 years old and should have a lollipop in her mouth. And then you have the bikini top, which to me makes her look like an underdressed child.

I get that her look is supposed to deceive others, but the juxtaposition of all those things is just... creepy.

Honestly the worst aspect of the look is the bow for me. It just looks so juvenile, like she's 8 years old and should have a lollipop in her mouth. And then you have the bikini top, which to me makes her look like an underdressed child.

I get that her look is supposed to deceive others, but the juxtaposition of all those things is just... creepy.

The bow doesn't bother me, nor her top. It's actually the armor or lack thereof.

I always appreciated FE for keeping their armor designs somewhat seriously. There has been the occasion where you have a character wearing an armguard and nothing else and that's passable, but Charlotte looks like she's literally missing armor and that's why she's showing off her top since she can't find it.

I kinda can't take Camilla seriously for similar reasons, but at least her armor looks... functional.