I bet opinions on Aqua will be pretty mixed

Draco

So a lot of people, myself included, like Aqua, but she'll probably be the Lucina of this game, since they're both featured in a butt ton of artwork, some of the most popular characters with the fans, and one of the most important characters too.

With Lucina, you either loved her or hated her, there's no in between. So opinions on her were pretty mixed. I bet it'll be the same for Aqua. When the game comes out, people might not like her personality and thus not like her as a whole but there'd be a few people willing to make exceptions because they like her appearance or something.

Hopefully that made sense. Thoughts?

also this is my first If thread weeeee

Edited by Draco

I dunno, I was and still am pretty in the middle with Lucina, and so far it's the same with Aqua. Still, I can see this happening, as it happens to pretty much any popular character.

I love Lucina a lot, although sadly I don't think that'll affect my opinion of Aqua.

I want Aqua to not be mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. I've spammed the forum with this a lot already, but I sort of want her to be a villain in at least one route, and a villain like Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II, who manipulates and lies to people the ENTIRE game as she sets up things behind the scenes which the players get to see but not the protagonist.

That'd sure beat Garon who might just be evil for the sake of being evil, although he's shaping up to be like Ganondorf from Wind Waker.

I love Lucina a lot, although sadly I don't think that'll affect my opinion of Aqua.

I want Aqua to not be mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. I've spammed the forum with this a lot already, but I sort of want her to be a villain in at least one route, and a villain like Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II, who manipulates and lies to people the ENTIRE game as she sets up things behind the scenes which the players get to see but not the protagonist.

That'd sure beat Garon who might just be evil for the sake of being evil, although he's shaping up to be like Ganondorf from Wind Waker.

But if she's a villain in only one route, that could potentially weaken the other routes. For instance, if Aqua's never revealed as a villain in the Hoshido route but is in the Nohr route, the former choice makes you feel like you let a villain go unpunished.

I'd be especially pissed if they made her a villain only in the third route, though, because that would make the Hoshido/Nohr routes seem like a "fake ending."

But if she's a villain in only one route, that could potentially weaken the other routes. For instance, if Aqua's never revealed as a villain in the Hoshido route but is in the Nohr route, the former choice makes you feel like you let a villain go unpunished.

I'd be especially pissed if they made her a villain only in the third route, though, because that would make the Hoshido/Nohr routes seem like a "fake ending."

Ah, but you see, that's the beauty of Kamui's choice, isn't it? She can BECOME a villain because Kamui shifts the tide of the war, thus potentially threatening what she wants to accomplish.

It's not very probable, and I accept that, but I think it would be sweet. I could also just be craving a really good video game villain, since I haven't seen one in years now.

exactly like my post explain if the 3rd route is canon if the other 2 routes give bittersweet not complete endings.

I dunno, I was and still am pretty in the middle with Lucina, and so far it's the same with Aqua. Still, I can see this happening, as it happens to pretty much any popular character.

This. There are plenty of people who are in the middle. Micaiah is another example, though with her it tends to be either hate or in the middle. Some people hate her to death and label her a mary sue, some people are meh. I'm meh.

Until we have the personalities of the characters, it's hard saying how well recieved they'll be. Right now everybody's judging them on looks/design alone.

I personally hated Lucina. Aqua seems cool though. I like the way she looks and I'm in love with her voice, but then again, all of the voices I've heard so far sounded awesome.

Ah, but you see, that's the beauty of Kamui's choice, isn't it? She can BECOME a villain because Kamui shifts the tide of the war, thus potentially threatening what she wants to accomplish.

It's not very probable, and I accept that, but I think it would be sweet. I could also just be craving a really good video game villain, since I haven't seen one in years now.

Oh, I think I misunderstood what you were initially saying. When you put it that way, that actually does sound like an interesting premise. I don't know what Aqua's goals are, but I honestly believe they're highly different from Kamui's. So if Kamui ends up jeopardizing them...

But even so, I don't think IS will go as far as to make her a villain. If Kamui does end up threatening Aqua's goals, I think she may end up as something of a Yen'fay-- someone who opposes Kamui's troops reluctantly, rather than someone who openly antagonizes them.

exactly like my post explain if the 3rd route is canon if the other 2 routes give bittersweet not complete endings.

I mean, I'm fine with bittersweet endings. So I actually wouldn't be too upset if the third route ended on a happier note whereas the Hoshido/Nohr routes ended on a more sad tone. The only thing that would irk me is if one of the routes ended up being more "complete" than the other. As in, you couldn't fully be satisfied with one of the routes without the third route, haha.

Eh, it is hard to say how she will be received in terms of personality, as we don't know what it is. Right now the debate is really just is she goof as a concept. I think Aqua could have been cool if she was actually treated as a second main character, like the nation and characters split. (i.e. Kamui goes with Nohr and Aqua goes with Hoshido and the player chooses who to follow) so you get to experience different stories through different people's eyes. But Kamui is the fully customizable main lord who you control and get to decide who he/she joins and that makes Aqua feel redundant. Why exactly do we need another character like Kamui if she just going to do what Kamui does and basically be another party member? Does anybody else think that maybe that was the original plan, to have them both be equally main; but they decided a playable and customizable lord was more important so they just chose the Kamui character and left Aqua feeling awkward? It would at least justify her existence.

Tough question. I don't love Lucina, but I don't hate her either. I don't know why, but she never really drew my attention as an interesting character. Wouldn't that mean there is an 'in between' on the opinions of Lucina?

As for Aqua, she seems like she's going to fall into the same category. So far anyways. From what we know of Aqua, she seems like she's rather passive and submissive in comparison to Lucina, someone I feel is already difficult to make a decision about, so deciding whether I like a more passive and submissive version of Lucina is even more difficult. Of course, we don't actually know very much about her, so it's hard to say for sure at the moment. That's just what I think right now. For all we know, Aqua might just be the best, or worst, character in Fire Emblem history.

Not exactly sure what Lucina has to do with Aqua, tbh.

As for Aqua herself, yeah i agree that shes gonna have a lot of mixed opinions. Im already a little ehh about her, only because her design reminds me of Ninian so much. Ninian was an ok character, but a little drab in personality. If Aqua has the same or similar personality, im gonna find her dreadfully dull.

I actually keep forgetting Aqua even exists, whoops.

As for Lucina, I liked her a lot when the game first came out. Then I played it over 20 times and then I started seeing the flaws in the writing and how much Chrom and Lucina never got called out on their hypocrisy and how tiring the other characters' quirks got. So all I'm hoping for is better writing and characterization.

It'll be interesting, you have a valid point.

For me myself, I love Lucina, I think she's a great character. From the looks of it, Aqua will be with you from early on in the game, and seeing as shown on the artwork, she'll be a really important character, much like Chrom or the Awakening Avatar. Now, this is of course speculation, but I'm pretty sure she will at least get more development than Lucina. But, I hope she won't always be the 'happy go lucky' character. Now, Lucina wasn't that always either, but from the start, she was always a 'good side' character, not really complaining, disagreeing or fighting you (Marth & Lucina's judgement not in account). It would give for an interesting storyline if Aqua has a mind of her own as well and makes her own decisions, which could make for a very interesting story.

Edited by TohruAdachi

I think Aqua is like Lucina, without the proud and power. Lucina was Awakenings best girl, then Luna taking up Severa's looks, and our Inigo look-alike. So I can tell why everyone is saying Aqua the new Lucina, but I could hardly care about Lucina. I'm basically neutral about her, ( >:| She tried to lie to me by trying to look like Marth) but I like Aqua better. A lord with magical vocals and an interesting spear is cool concept. But I think it might change depending on her dialog soon enough.

Well, I like Aqua so far, and am interested to see where her character goes. But I know for a fact, even if I don't end up liking her, I won't "hate" her. I honestly don't understand how people can hate characters anyway, as I find myself just as incapable of doing so as I am with hating actual people. I certainly get frustrated with characters, and may not like aspects of them, or even them as a whole, but have never hated a fictional or actual entity, regardless of how flawed they may be. Not meaning to offend people who are saying they hate characters. I just really don't get it.

Anyway, with Lucina, I loved her character, and hadn't realized that love for her was polarized (I've never heard of a single person disliking her till this forum. Granted, I'm new to the SF community.) I hope that Aqua doesn't end up being largely disliked by the community or anything like that.

Well, I like Aqua so far, and am interested to see where her character goes. But I know for a fact, even if I don't end up liking her, I won't "hate" her. I honestly don't understand how people can hate characters anyway, as I find myself just as incapable of doing so as I am with hating actual people. I certainly get frustrated with characters, and may not like aspects of them, or even them as a whole, but have never hated a fictional or actual entity, regardless of how flawed they may be. Not meaning to offend people who are saying they hate characters. I just really don't get it.

Yeah this. i don't get hate for characters much either, worst feeling i get for a video game character is apathy for them and forgetting they exist. I may not like every part about them but thats life for ya.

I personally hated Lucina. Aqua seems cool though. I like the way she looks and I'm in love with her voice, but then again, all of the voices I've heard so far sounded awesome.

This for me. Including Aqua's voice. And I usually hate female voices in Japanese because they're almost always annoyingly high and squeaky. But yeah, I hate Lucina, but so far, I really like Aqua.

I think that the quote about "strong but delicate" in regards to Aqua's singing voice is going to apply to her personality as well. Aqua looks delicate, and I have a feeling that her ultimate goal is to create peace for both kingdoms, and that she's willing to go through a lot of personal struggle to achieve that.