The Vanguard of Cheviel - Mercenary RP Interest Thread

Rapier

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...I guess I get to be the first person to submit a bio, yay for me. I totally didn't do in one day just to have that distinction, nope, no-sir-ee.

I know we're not doing stats, but I did actually think of (what I think at least) is a fairly interesting stat layout for this guy. I'll just put that idea in an idea bucket and save it for something else, I suppose. Now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a horribly unqualified, underaged, and unexperienced person with sticks.

Name: Petros

Appearance: A stout fellow, a bit on the short side but not quite stubby. Has a round, chubbier face and darker blonde hair. His eyes are light, slightly yellow brown, similar to a darker shade of his hair, and appear rather large on his face. His most common attire is a hooded shepherd's cloak, usually of a lighter, earthier color. His skin is somewhat fair but he's usually a bit on the dirtier side. His stomach, like his cheeks, is a bit porky. He has a dark blue belt of cloth around his waist, which he uses to store miscellaneous objects.

Personality: A very naive and gullible person. He is very easily talked into buying things and reasonably easy to talk into doing things. He can rather easily be confused by the intricacies of human social interaction, such as why he should lie sometimes and not others, such as about the fact that he's confused about the intricacies of human social interaction. He sways far more towards the side of honesty, even when inappropriate. With animals, however, he seems to do much better than with people, and sometimes talks to these creatures. Befitting of his young age, he has a fairly black and white worldview speaks bluntly, but is capable of being quiet and showing respect. He is, however, stubborn, and quite proud when it comes to things he's good at or thinks he should be good at. Otherwise, he's actually rather humble.

Skills: Good with live stock, singing, and organizing miscellaneous items. Alright with using a healing staff, normal medicine and setting up camp-type things. Bad with plants, use of weapons and use of sharp objects in general. Amazing at getting tricked into buying things.

Gear: Petros has a myriad of trinkets in his possession, few of them useful and most of them defective. His primary possession is a staff called a DemiWarp staff, which is both a warp and rescue staff in one, except it has much shorter range by comparison. Currently, Petros can use it with a range of a few feet. He has a few other staves, none of which work properly. Examples are a mend staff which causes intense migraines and a barrier staff which physically exhausts the person it's used on. He does have a shepherds crook, and more usefully tends to have herbal medicines, bandages, food and a sheepskin flask of water. He also has a lot of rags, which used to be cheaply made cloaks until they all fell apart.

Bio: Petros is like the prodigal son, if he was an only child and instead of parties and harlots the prodigal son spent all his money on useless junk he was lead to believe would be useful. He was the son of a herding family, which raised sheep, horses and cattle for several generations and was rather wealthy despite the troubled nature of Maeine. Since boyhood, Petros spent most of his time with animals, and as such lacks social skills among people but is rather good with other mammals. Very recently and at a quite young age, Petros requested a portion of his inheritance from his father early, that he might use it to establish his own pastures and do his own business, and otherwise be more independent. Knowing nothing of people and living in the rougher world of Maeine, he was easily convinced to buy defective, knock-off products many times, and all his money ran out very quickly. Now rather heavily in debt, he seeks to make back all the wealth he lost and return to his family proud, instead of begging for financial assistance. To gain money, he joined a pioneer group of mercenaries, after someone talked him into joining.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Name: Alicia

Appearance: http://puu.sh/iE8Dy/fa6e499735.png

Personality: Bold, not afraid to speak her mind. She's not very open about her past, so she can usually get mildly angry towards others if provoked or asked about her backstory.

Skills: Not good with hunting, decent with cooking, can swim very well, is a terrible runner. Very good with people, and can barter with villagers.

Gear: Small shield, sword, ruby necklace.

Bio: A runaway from her royal family, she detested the life she had as a princess, and left to go on a adventure. She joins the group because adventuring by themselves is tiring and being in a group makes life much easier. The only thing she has left of her royal past is her ruby necklace, which was a gift from her late mother.

No stats.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand no offense rapier but now you've lost me

(it's more that I have bad experiences with no-stat FE-style RPs)

10r7f3q.png

Name: Judas
Appearance: A lithe young man with bright red hair and amber eyes. He is a tad on the short side, standing at 5'7". His complexion is fair, but dusky due to his preference for the outdoors. He wears little armor and his clothes are of average make and quality, with earthy tones instead of bright and gaudy colors.
Personality: Introverted and withdrawn, but he possesses wisdom beyond his years. His lone wolf attitude sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but he's decided more numbers may help him more than hinder him from achieving his goal... for now. When he does interact directly with the group, it's usually laced with sarcasm when he's not being serious not-fun person.
Skills: Archery, stealth, scouting, hunting, survival, animal handling, and fishing is his primary skillset. He is a hunter first and foremost. Weaknesses include diplomacy and making friends, as well as general etiquette (he probably won't fart at the dinner table, but 'thank you' or 'please' is not in his vocabulary).
Gear: Bow, quiver, arrows, knife (primarily used for skinning things), leather armor, tunic + trousers + boots + gloves, and rope (always has rope! never know when you're gonna fall into a hole)
Bio: Judas is the only son of a pair of farmers, born alongside his older twin sister. As the only male in the family outside of his father, he was taught how to hunt and do manual labor at a young age, while his sisters (three total) helped with running the farm and taking care of the livestock.
Other than being routinely bullied by the local youths, his childhood and upbringing was relatively normal for a child born to serfs. He honed his archery skills out of boredom mostly - and because he found himself unusually good at it. His father insisted it was because he had his mother's "good eyes" and he began to enter into archery contests at the seasonal fair. He won it twice, one when he was fourteen and another when he was sixteen, and gained some local respect and renown because of it. The bullies stopped bothering him when they realized he could kill them thirty yards away.
When he reached adulthood, his eldest sister was promised the farm by his father, and Judas was left to pursue his own interests. He became a warden and helped travellers navigate the sometimes treacherous woodlands surrounding their little thorp. He built himself a cabin and lived alone as a hermit otherwise, enjoying the solitude and making friends with few people outside of the animals dwelling within the forest.
The peace was violently destroyed when foreign bandits raided the settlement and the family farm. The small retinue of guardsman who protected the thorp stood no chance against the number and brutality of the enemy, and most of the thorp was razed to the ground and looted. The farm suffered no less and his father was slain in the chaos while protecting his family. His mother and two sisters fled to a nearby village, but his twin sister was accosted for reasons unknown - her body was never found among the wreckage. Judas helped defend his home, but once the last guardsman fell, he too had to flee or lose his life.
After some wandering, Judas found and joined the mercenary band, adamant on exacting revenge for the destruction of his home as well as finding out the fate of his sister.

there has to be one vengeful debbie downer in this group
Edited by Crysta

Manners. Qualifications. Pick one.

I'd make a joke about family issues, but really, this is a band of traveling mercenaries. That's not a job which really screams 'healthy family relationships'.

...so...is that an image from somewhere, or did you just have that on hand for whatever reason, or...something else?

sounds like some serious OWTHEEDGE

also I may actually still do this but I'm not getting a character in until Monday at the absolute earliest. moving op pls nerf.

Suggestion: Please make a rough map of the merc base. I feel much of the RP will be spent there, so it would be good to see where, they're living. Also, I made a thing:

transparenthn.png

Name: Vaso Valli

Appearance: Vaso stands at 5’9” and weighs 150 pounds. He’s not one for style: his long brown hair is often a rat’s nest. It’s a wonder how he was blessed with beautiful blue eyes. Similarly, his clothing is more for function than style. He typically wears a white tunic and black cloth pants. They’re light enough for warm climates. His outfit is often a bit wrinkled after putting his purple armor on over it. It had sky blue highlights, looking much nicer than his everyday clothing.

Personality: Vaso prefers the simple things in life: a nice warm home, lots of friends, and perhaps a family. He’s a nice enough guy, willing to help new members out. At the same time, he is brutal on the battlefield. Nevertheless, he fights fair, never killing an unarmed person. That being said, he is only used to his foes fighting by the same rules. Thinking like that could cost him dearly.

Skills: Training under a Chevielan knight, Vaso excels with the lance and is reasonably skilled in swordplay. Outside of combat, he works on his pottery. He often spends nights at his pottery wheel, sculpting pots and vases to sell for some extra gold.

Gear: Vaso’s main weapon is a spear. It’s light enough to be wielded as a bo staff, yet sturdy enough to withstand harsh combat. Additionally, he has a shortsword for close combat.

Bio: Vaso was born in Maeine at a time when the island was a much safer place. His childhood was fairly typical, often spent exploring the woods with other youngsters. Other times, he’d help his father with the crops or learn pottery from his mother. They were good people, teaching the boy how to be a decent human being. One day, he heard of a raid in a nearby village thwarted by the Knights of Cheviel. Such bravery was what inspired him to train under those brave men as a squire.

His budding career did not go as planned. Instead of venturing across the archipelago thwarting villains, Vaso spent his days in the capital, mainly as bodyguard for nobles. This mainly consisted of him following his liege across town for shopping, carrying merchandise around for them, etc. Yes, he received combat training, but as a squire, he had never seen much in the way of combat. Fate threw him a curve ball when his mentor, Sir Randall Rennington, was killed in an unfortunate ale-brewing accident (a story for another day). It was not long after that the king had passed away, leaving a new heir to take over. Chaos erupted across the isles, bandits marching over the citizenry. Rather than go out and take on the hordes, the knights were assigned to protect the castle town. No help would come to those not of nobility. Vaso sacrificed potential knighthood resigned from his post to help his homeland.

Vaso returned to Maeine to find it in anarchy. Bandits had practically taken over, preventing safe travel to other villages. It also prevented his parents from getting medical treatment and as a result succumbed to illness. Knowing firsthand at what this chaos was doing to good people, Vaso joined a band of mercenaries to return his homeland to its former glory.

Edited by Toogee

Also, I did use this thing for my background, though I did tweak it a little (initially he was supposed to lose his one true love but that sounded even more cliche'/angsty - I changed it to twin sister and made her possibly not dead). Making myself have to work within certain confines helps prevent me from re-using the same character concepts. >_>

EDIT: Though I still roll royal slaves and peasants who get a large inheritance all the time so obviously you may have to tweak things lol.

Edited by Crysta

Also, I did use this thing for my background, though I did tweak it a little (initially he was supposed to lose his one true love but that sounded even more cliche'/angsty - I changed it to twin sister and made her possibly not dead). Making myself have to work within certain confines helps prevent me from re-using the same character concepts. >_>

EDIT: Though I still roll royal slaves and peasants who get a large inheritance all the time so obviously you may have to tweak things lol.

Uhuh, I see. I'm going to go ahead and say that was a very good call. I usually come up with my own character concepts, but I do notice some trends repeat, such as socially inept, gullible young idiot who's not good at most things. I do recall I participated in a set of contests for another forum to create characters based on random rolls, but that was much more about abilities than backstory. Good times, none the less, I should give that a try some time.

Heheheh.

Name: Reginald

Appearance: Reginald is a short and stocky man with a budding beard, mustache, and a head full of thick, dark purple, hair. His face has a small smile on it usually; especially when around interesting objects. Otherwise he is fairly 'normal' looking for a lance-wielding soldier. Nice, and well-kept mail armor to cover and protect the body, even if he doesn't enjoy wearing it around camp and only puts on the helmet in battle. A small dagger on his backside as a backup in-case, Anna forbid, his lance breaks in the middle of combat.

Personality: Reginald is a curious sort of guy, always interested in what is going on learning new things; so long as said new things are weird and interesting as opposed to just a fancy new form of math. Additionally Reginald is very materialistic and tends to outright enjoy buying things, even if he has no real use for them, and is always willing to do things for money. With that said he is not without morals, a code of honor, and the like. He won't betray his friends, do unethical things, and the like, but he's always looking for a way to earn extra cash if at all possible.

Skills: Reginald is clearly skilled beyond the most basic forms of 'pointy end of spear goes into the enemy' but beyond that his combat skills are a bit undefined. On the one hand he is generally quick on the uptake and good at keeping his footing in a fight, on the other he tends to be a bit wild and overly focused on single targets with his lance. Reginald also has a very keen and discerning eye in terms of item values and is often able to judge the quality/value of an item and potentially glean a bit of insight as to its workings. While not on-par with legit knowledge for obvious reasons he isn't as easy to fool as one might expect.

Gear: A standard-issue combat lance. Full-body mail armor. Utility/back-up dagger. A few various odds and ends of various value, though possibly on the higher end of what one would expect for their worth.

Bio: Reginald has always thought of himself as a simple man of simple pleasures and desires. Born and raised in Maeine he was the child of a shopkeeper who dabbled in traded goods. At first Reginald treated this as just boring work done by his parents until he started to pay attention to the many interesting things and rumors that the traders brought with them. As he grew older and matured he became increasingly interested in these things and, when it was time to set out on his own at the age of 16, with his own cash and a desire to glean as many cool things as well as establish his new life out away from home. He lasted two months before bandits beset him and robbed him blind and left him lucky to escape with his life.

Without money Reginald quickly started seeking out anything he could do for cash. Refusing to stoop to things like thievery and banditry it took him time and upon taking up the lance, he gained some knowledge and experience as a free-lance mercenary. He did not desire this life though as it was risky fighting without someone at his back, hence his desire to seek out a band. While the life of a merchant would be nice, he feels like returning to such a thing would be foolish now and do little more than paint a prime target on him. But something has to give him the gold, right?

Edited by Snowy_One

I have clearly made the most OP character.

[spoiler=Fear the lunch lady]

Name: Sybil

Appearance:

260450ff6616f94eddea087ba28d7557.png

Of average height and build, with very few distinguishing features. Not dressed too dissimilar to the picture provided, she's a cook not a supermodel.

Words are hard.

Personality: Generally tolerant up until a point, but doesn't really stand for nonsense or tomfoolery. Seemingly very judgemental and dismissive of anyone who makes a bad first impression, although she has an incredibly dry sense of humour.

Skills: Primarily cooking, handling stock and finances. Sybil provides more of a support role to the group rather than a direct combat role. When she has to, Sybil takes up the role of group medic, dispensing various herbs and tonics to those who need them. Still, her talents are best used away from battle.

Gear: Chef's Knife, Wooden Spoon, Satchel, Apparel

Bio: Born and raised in Maeine as the daughter of bakers, Sybil's early life wasn't particularly exciting. Neither poor nor rich, troubled or blessed, she went through life picking up the tricks of the trade from her parents. Interested in more than the world of bread, Sybil expanded her horizons with the help of her grandfather, who had managed a nobleman's kitchen in his youth. The years went by with a few interesting happenings here and there. After her grandfather passed away, her parents urged her to find her calling, not wanting to burden Sybil with the duty of running the bakery.

Sorry, I've been quite busy playing WoW nowadays. Tomorrow I might be able to judge all the cases here and see whether the sign-ups are okay.

It also gives time for Trent to come back, so everyone wins.

Alicia (Shadowfrost Zennibar)'s char is accepted, so long as they are demoted from princess to another noble title. She could be the daughter of a duke/duchess, if you prefer.

The rest is accepted as well. Some profiles seem pretty good, actually.

Now, for the founders of the group. I've thought about three, a front liner warrior, a healer and a spy/assassin of sorts. If I don't fill their sign-ups today, I'll finish by tomorrow.

Name: Blair

Appearance: A slightly tan skinned woman reaching out to 5'8 feet, of muscular build and enough strength to armwrestle with the strongest men in the military and win most matches. Her sand blonde hair is kept low, descending from the back of her head to the end of her neck, when she does not outright tie it behind her. Her eyes are black and hard, her nose long and thin. She dresses dark brown clothes and pants behind her armor, and a cloak of the same color is tied to her back.

Personality: Blair's best known for her impulsiveness, straightforwardness and strong will. Meaning that if there is something she feels like saying, she will most definitely say it, if not rub it into people's faces without much concern for their feelings. And few things are going to get her away from doing or upkeeping what she sees as fundamental. The few who managed to shrug and accept that facet of her personality have known her better side, especially her loose tongue after a few drinks, being someone prone to making jokes in a bar table and telling funny tales that sometimes are factually questionable and that most people don't believe at all, but agree-to-disagree by delivering laughter. She is also a committed woman, ready to defend her cause with all force she can muster, as well as care for the safety and well being of people she respects.

Skills: Skilled with an axe, can wear heavy armor without being hindered too much, knows how to ride horses yet prefers to go by foot, is athletic enough to run one third of a mile with heavy armor and a full mile without, is compulsory about keeping places tidy and clean. Terrible with words, cooking and organization in general. Mediocre marksmanship - has issues hitting anything that is over six meters from her.

Gear: Wears an iron armor and wields a medium sized axe. On her waist, she binds a couple of hand axes in case she needs to hit something far away, even if she is bad at it. All of her equipments seem like they've seen better days. Her armor is missing its shoulder parts and there are cracks between the stomach area that could be lethal if exploited.

Bio: Born from an average family in the main island of Cheviel, Larne, localized in the middle of the archipelago, where she lived an ordinary life with her parents and older brother, helping tend to her family's small farm and to the animals. Known for her imperative and impulsive attitude, as a girl she played in the nearby forest with a couple of children, being one of the fastest runners and managing to get farther than most of her peers. She was always invited for team races, but hardly invited for sports teams where she had to throw something, as the others noticed she had terrible targetting.

When she was 6, her older brother, 16 at the time, entered the military academy of Larne. Once, she said jokingly that she wished she'd grow up faster in order to join her brother in the academy and work with him, but the thought about joining the military only came five years later, after her brother graduated and came back home with his own tales. She hardly saw him come back home, being busy as an official and sometimes having to travel from island to island whenever duty demanded, but when she did, his tales were delightful. When she turned 16, she decided to seek a military career like his sibling, seeing it as an opportunity to seek another job unrelated to tending to animals for her entire life.

Her first years on the military academy had been rough, not only because of the exercises - which were taxing on their own, but because of the discipline and emotional control that she lacked. She was oftenly punished for being too impulsive, for arguing with superiors and for pushing one of her peers' body - as well as the table - forcefully toward the ground, as the result of an armwrestling competition, when he said a woman could never dream of defeating him. Five years later, she was approved and joined the Royal Army as a soldier. Unfortunately for her, the first years had her act as a bodyguard and escort for nobles, running around from place to place on their leisure, which bothered her more than anything she went through her academy years. Her wish was made true when action came knocking on her door - but, unfortunately as well, it knocked the door and the building with her inside, at the same time: The death of the King and the rise of the youngest heir in the story of Cheviel. The slippery slope for the state of chaos Cheviel would be drowned into.

First, her bodyguard job became harder when the population grew anxious and upset with the sudden change. Some opportunists tried to force demands to the crown, which led her to join the guard to deal with all dissidents that posed a threat. With the increase in thievery, she also oftenly accompanied nobles and protected estates from unruly mobs, some of them suspiciously organized. After many years worth of uprisings, she was stationed at the isle nearest to the continent, at the eastern side of the archipelago. For her joy, her brother was also deployed there, and both managed to fight together in the battlefield as she wanted so much. Rumors that the neighbor country was raising its own retinue alarmed the kingdom and issued diplomatic tensions between both. She participated in skirmishes between both countries, where she increased her fame and received her first promotion.

When the other islands of the archipelago were invaded by raiders, pirates and what seemed to be trained soldiers from independent countries to the south (although unable to pinpoint which countries or prove who was the culprit, because the ships and arms bore no flags), the retinue located in the eastern isle was divided. Half would deal with the invaders, while the other half held their ground against their neighbor. These years became the most frustrating ones in Blair's life. With an unskilled commander who was suspected for earning such title because of his connections to other influent nobles, they started losing battles and casualties among the army increased. Once, when trying to stop invaders from reaching the land, their fleet was completely decimated, and during the escape from her ship, Blair would've drowned if not for the help of one of he peers who knew how to swim well . Since then, the army adopted a passive stance toward the invaders, focusing on protecting the forts and scouting the area. They were ineffective in preventing the pillaging and enslaving of the citizens unfortunate enough to lack a trained militia.

All that led her to leave the military, tag with a couple of peers who were also unsatisfied with the situation of the Royal Army, and form a band she pompously decided to name as the 'Vanguard'. If she could do little for her country as a soldier, she'd do more as a mercenary. And if the Army could not effectively protect the citizens, then she would find a way to by sticking close to them, and helping them form a militia among themselves.

Alicia (Shadowfrost Zennibar)'s char is accepted, so long as they are demoted from princess to another noble title. She could be the daughter of a duke/duchess, if you prefer.

dammit you ruined my plans

i could say she's from some random noble family, heir to her father's dukedom etc

That's okay, then.

I'll finish the other sign-ups by tomorrow. It should also give enough time for him to come up with a sign-up, if he still wants to join at that time.