General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know how to feel with this.

The Democratic candidates seem all over the place. The massive difference between Clinton and Sanders makes both of them seem to have a split in supports. I'm honestly kind of fine with either for different reasons. Clinton has a strong foreign policy and Sanders seems to not be the type to let religion control the country.

The GOP candidates like Carson are all slightly ridiculous. Whether it be their policy on topics like religion, gay marriage, or abortion or closing Mexican borders makes them seem to be an overall bad choice. Ironically, Trump seems to be the closest to anything decent, but his immigration ideas are absurd.

i used to think that, but it looks like trump went full on fascist in recent days.

I think clinton is awful on foreign policy. I mean she has the secretary gig on her resume, but everything she's said about the middle east just makes me cringe. i don't have much hope for bernie having a chance at the nomination, but i'm glad that his campaign has already done a service to the country by having people talk about issues no one else was until now. it's the kind of populist movement that the country needed, and hopefully will continue regardless of the elections.

Edited by Radiant head

yeah as a nonwhite person, i looked at the video of trump's protesters beating up the blm shirt-wearing black man in alabama and i'm legit scared for when he decides he's going to shoot for my blood too

it's a pretty harrowing reminder that for all the progress we've made and how things are better for us compared to 50 years ago—the civil rights act and voting rights act, gutted they may be, being things, for instance, and the societal changes protecting us that resulted—all these improvements in our lives, our being less of second class citizens than we were back during jim crow are ephemeral and can be rolled back by the kind of resentful voter who supports trump

Edited by I.M. Gei

Ironically, Trump seems to be the closest to anything decent,

i just choked on a dick

immigration is not the only thing on which trump is way off the mark

he's the kind of politician who makes waves on factual errors and both ignores that he's wrong and refuses to back off when he's called out for it

that's precisely the kind of person who is not fit to be leader of anything, much less president of the US

Edited by dondon151

i just choked on a dick

immigration is not the only thing on which trump is way off the mark

he's the kind of politician who makes waves on factual errors and both ignores that he's wrong and refuses to back off when he's called out for it

that's precisely the kind of person who is not fit to be leader of anything, much less president of the US

it's like he creates his own reality when he asserts wildly untrue and debunked shit like "muslims in jersey cheered en masse when the towers went down", especially in the context of a craven media that cares more about being "objective" than fact-checking and actual journalism

I don't understand how Trump could win. I mean, no one who is black or Latino would vote for him, in fact, despite voting not being mandatory, it's possible that if he ran, those populations would turn up to vote "against" him and in support of whoever is the Democrat candidate.

Trump won't make it past the primaries, and I'd bet money on it.

the republican establishment is going to do everything it can to make sure trump doesn't get the nomination because it'd pretty much be the nail in the coffin for their chances of winning the presidency

and if they fail i'm going to laugh my ass off. and i won't be surprised if they do fail, to be honest - it'd fit his anti-Washington narrative and anyone still supporting Trump at this point doesn't give a crap about his obvious flaws.

as for which republican i like the most... ugh, that's sort of like being asked which torture device i would prefer to use on myself. i don't see many of my republican peers liking the field, either.

Edited by Crysta

I don't see how any of that has to do with how he polls among the Republican electorate, which is really well right now.

He could be popular among Republicans but if they want to win the election they need a candidate who can sway the independents in his favor. Trump could be their wet dream but they need to look at the big picture. That's why it's rare for extremist hopefuls to front campaigns.

Then again, I may be underestimating the GOP electorate's idiocy.

Edited by Cerberus87

i used to think that, but it looks like trump went full on fascist in recent days.

I think clinton is awful on foreign policy. I mean she has the secretary gig on her resume, but everything she's said about the middle east just makes me cringe. i don't have much hope for bernie having a chance at the nomination, but i'm glad that his campaign has already done a service to the country by having people talk about issues no one else was until now. it's the kind of populist movement that the country needed, and hopefully will continue regardless of the elections.

Alright, look. I despise Donald Trump. To call him fascist it overstating things. When there are posters of him everywhere saying "long live Trump" like there are for the PM of Hungary then we'll talk. Seriously, though, Fascism isn't just about racism, it's about the devaluation of the individual, which Trump obviously doesn't stand for.

No, that's not how it works. In America, fascism wouldn't take shape via Nazi-esque caricatures of boots and posters. You have to look at it in ideological terms, not how it presents itself. Hence in Europe you have the Sweden Democrats shifting from stereotypical neo-nazis to a more sophisticated right populist machine. Likewise, Trump is echoing the European fascist movements with populist, xenophobic rhetoric and authoritarian ideology.

John Kasich has at least been good for a few laughs when he broke from debate etiquette and interrupted other candidates to tell them their dumb, infeasible and wrong ideas were dumb, infeasible and wrong. Albeit to scarce positive returns onstage and jeering from the crowd.

Then it's not fascism. Fascism is a very specific ideology characterized by extreme ultranationalist, totalitarianism, and corporatism. Trump fulfills 2 of the three, but that doesn't make him a fascist. Golden Dawn in Greece are fascist, because they want to establish a dictatorial state. Trump is fine with the fundamental structure of the USA remaining the same. Therefore, he is not fascist.

Trump's policies could very well lead to some sort of "corporate fascism", unless you're of the opinion that we're already living in such a system. But calling him a person who supports a fascist ideology is obviously wrong. Looking at things from that angle I don't think his policies are any closer to fascism than Clinton's for example.

trump's mobilized a core constituency of resentful, anxious downscale white voters by ranting about rapist mexicans, letting his supporters beat up BLM shirt-wearing black folks at his rallies, tweeting bogus black crime statistics from neo-nazi websites, and shit like the "muslim registry" and actual shitthatdidn'thappen.txt with "muzzies in jersey city cheering when the towers went down", and his support seems to ebb whenever he does this

even if this isn't actually fascism, it's got enough of the same racial resentment-based right-wing populist strands to worry all of us americans who aren't exactly pasty

I don't understand how Trump could win. I mean, no one who is black or Latino would vote for him, in fact, despite voting not being mandatory, it's possible that if he ran, those populations would turn up to vote "against" him and in support of whoever is the Democrat candidate.

Trump won't make it past the primaries, and I'd bet money on it.

it's almost funny because after the 2012 elections, when 88% of romney's voters were white, some brighter republican strategists were like "okay you know what, we need more minority votes to win, maybe we can placate some latinos by not blowing the dogwhistle so loudly on illegals and doing some immigration reform"

it seems now, though, the base said fuck it (if they ever bought into that in the first place) and are going full 1488; i guess this is the logical conclusion of a half-century of the southern strategy

Edited by I.M. Gei

Then it's not fascism. Fascism is a very specific ideology characterized by extreme ultranationalist, totalitarianism, and corporatism. Trump fulfills 2 of the three, but that doesn't make him a fascist. Golden Dawn in Greece are fascist, because they want to establish a dictatorial state. Trump is fine with the fundamental structure of the USA remaining the same. Therefore, he is not fascist.

Rhetoric and ideology that relies on authoritarianism and racism is fascist as far as I'm concerned. I'm not interested in pigeon holing and navel gazing things into cooke cutter and myopic "definitions."

I mean if the difference between Trump and fascism is a semantic thing, then I'm hardly"overstating" anything.

Edited by Radiant head

Except it's not semantic. Calling Trump fascist is like calling Sanders Communist. Fascist authoritarianism is very different from Republican authoritarianism, in that it is socially and politically authoritarian, while the Tea Party is only socially authoritarian. If you can name me a single instance where Fascists came to power and kept the same governmental structure I will concede the point. I am not worried, however, because there is no such instance. Seriously, you have enough things you can say about Trump to make him look bad that you don't have to pull a new insult out of nowhere that is inaccurate, hyperbolic, and fearmongering.