Localization vs Original

Tolvir

I'm really liking how the choice really seems to bring out different sides in the characters.

I remember that being one of the key points they talked about when the game was first unveiled a year ago, but the localization seems to really be bringing out those different sides of people when faced with certain circumstances.

I'm excited for this too since I'm getting Tactics Ogre vibes from the localization of the characters (like Ryoma), which I REALLY appreciate! I can't wait follow the story.

I'm also seeing a ton of Fates ads on Youtube at the moment, which makes me smile.

Edited by Leif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i heard i like Zero's voice, however we don't have any info yet about how Zero is localizated, and i;m AFRAID what they did with him, or rather they changed his sadistic nature. :s

I'm excited for this too since I'm getting Tactics Ogre vibes from the localization of the characters (like Ryoma), which I REALLY appreciate! I can't wait follow the story.

I'm also seeing a ton of Fates ads on Youtube at the moment, which makes me smile.

Talk about a change in personality depending on route choices. Some of those people could become downright vile.

Talk about a change in personality depending on route choices. Some of those people could become downright vile.

To be fair to the sibilings, betrayal tends to have a pretty nasty effect on people.

Some people can become very bitter and vengeful because of betrayal.

Edited by Water Mage

I liked most of conquest!chapter 6, except Ryouma telling everyone to attack Corrin because he really likes his 1v1s. Like in both Hoshi!6 and Nohr!26 wher e he doesn't step in to help/waits a little before that can be attributed to his stubborn samurai 1v1 pride and not interrupting another fighter's 1v1 but now it's ??? feels really OOC. More ruthless in general is cool but it doesn't really have to sacrifice pretty big parts of his character for that.

On the Sakura point, while in a vaccum I like American Sakura's general character, I feel like Japanese Sakura's social anxiety-yet lots of inner strength is pretty good characterization and should've been kept. Considering we have a rather large female cast and a lot of them are confident, battle-hardened warriors (I'm planning to write a compare and constrast between Hinoka, Hana, and Rinka at some point, hell) someone who's shy but still very strong is a good contrast to many of the women who are already very confident and outwardly tough, and we don't need everyone to be super confident all the time. Sakura stands up for herself plenty of times even with her social anxiety, and even takes up a weapon against Kamui when they invade--she's not a doormat by any means.

Ryoma is probably really ticked off; it makes sense he'd lose his cool in a situation such as that.

Edited by The DanMan

Ryoma is probably really ticked off; it makes sense he'd lose his cool in a situation such as that.

Ryoma's anger is actually kind of interesting, when you take in account the fact that he knows that Corrin is not really blood-related to them.

Ryoma knows that Sumeragi died trying to protect a child that wasn't even his.

In Ryoma's eyes, Corrin is pretty much spitting at Sumeragi's sacrifice by siding with Nohr.

While we're at it, the fact Corrin sides with Nohr could also be seem as insulting Mikoto's sacrifice as well.

To Ryoma, Corrin's being a incredibly ungrateful bastard by siding with Nohr.

No wonder he's angry and bloodthirsty.

Edited by Water Mage

Ryoma's anger is actually kind of interesting, when you take in account the fact that he knows that Corrin is not really blood-related to them.

Ryoma knows that Sumeragi died trying to protect a child that wasn't even his.

In Ryoma's eyes, Corrin is pretty much spitting at Sumeragi's sacrifice by siding with Nohr.

While we're at it, the fact Corrin sides with Nohr could also be seem as insulting Mikoto's sacrifice as well.

To Ryoma, Corrin's being a incredibly ungrateful bastard by siding with Nohr.

No wonder he's angry and bloodthirsty.

May I ask where Ryoma said he knew that Corrin was not related to them by blood? Was it mentioned in the story or the supports since all teh siblings got a letter in the S supports (But even then, I think they said they were only half siblings).

May I ask where Ryoma said he knew that Corrin was not related to them by blood? Was it mentioned in the story or the supports since all teh siblings got a letter in the S supports (But even then, I think they said they were only half siblings).

He reveals his knowledge in the S support with a FEM!Avatar.

It's brought up in Revelations and when you S support any of the Hoshido siblings. Ryoma in particular just says he knew all along, instead of the premonition that everyone else gets.

On the subject of that topic and Ryoma, I actually find it quite morally reprehensible of Ryoma that he insist the Nohr siblings who raised Corrin for far longer than he ever did are not his ''true'' siblings. The rest of the siblings have a valid reason to reach this conclusion but Ryoma KNOWS

He and his siblings are not related to Corrin either

Ryoma can call siding with Norh a betrayal to Corrin's mother and he would not be wrong about it but thinking Corrin owes him any more than he does the Nohrian siblings is just hypocritical.

Its one of the reasons I'm so sour about being able to marry the Hoshido siblings. What is needed to make that acceptable breaks the very theme of blood vs loyalty the game builds itself around. In this case I find it making Ryoma less sympathetic than he should be as well.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Part of me makes me wonder if it's really intentional that it's really a thing because I don't think it's really meant for Ryouma to be characterized that way, and that the sibling marriages are likely added late in development without regard for their character prior. It's just so contrived and really fucks up the theme that advertising really pushed for. If it's the case that it's indeed a fanservice tack-on I'm just more pissed about how it's handledthan if it's something intentional about Ryouma-considering it's done in so little consideration for any of the Hoshisibs characterizations and means utterly jack shit in terms of actual plot importance. You don't find out about it at all until you make that choice to go incest and fuck one of your blood sibs, so I feel in a way it's just to make the player feel better.

Given the rest of Ryouma's characterization and the extreme lack of care it's dealt with, I'm inclined to believe the support writers for this section just didn't pay attention at all. I wouldn't be surprised--it's a different company handling the supports and there's some of them that have such utter disregard for established character I'm still salty

Just another day in S supports being detrimental to characterization and nothing is new.

Like I get why they'd have to outsource supports to a completely different company but can some of those support writers actually, idk, read the script? Have some consistency? It's not just Ryouma that's handled without enough care, but a lot of the cast too

I have read whatever supports that are translated and the discrepancy between the ones that seem to know what they're doing (most of oboro and leon's supports) and the ones that don't are huge

But yeah thanks for reminding me of that now I'm actually pissed off (not at you, at the support writer who did this)

Edited by Thor Odinson

...I'd think that having to outsource the supports would be a sign to IS that they're overdoing it with support amounts. Just what kind of sword is the fandom at large hanging over them?

Well, if we're lucky, Treehouse will have tempered much of the quandary in question. But IS may want to retract to Sacred Stones level of support profusion or thereabouts for the next installment, to avoid the issues with outsourcing. (Yes, I realize this will put a thorn in wide-range waifu/hasubando-seeking. Thy point?)

Yeah I agree, Even with characters with a lot of good supports sometimes the content can repeat a bit and there's characters who just have no real chemistry between them forced to talk because the game's forcing them to fuck

I try not to hold S rank bullshit over most characters if I find the characterization inconsistent with the rest of their character, because of a lot of that shit just had to be contrived to even work.

I know I felt that the Stahl*Nowi S-rank felt out-of-place, juxtaposed with the C-A set--and that's probably one of MANY such in Awakening. Probably a side-effect of having to make the A-ranks work in both strictly platonic and at-least-partially-romantic fashions.

Mayhaps it's time for IS to jettison the children conceit, at least with regard to the wide range in Awakening and Fates. Because that seems to be the primary motive behind the wide-range S-rank capability.

EDIT:

Now that I think of it, a better idea would have been to preclude Corrin S-ranks with BOTH Hoshido and Nohr royalty. Being raised among non-blood siblings will still prime one to avoid considering them for romantic relations; that's generally how the developing mind works, a side effect of built-in anti-incest failsafes. Those who still want one of the royals for their waifu/hasubando should be able to settle for using the non-avatar unit they identify most strongly with. (I know I'm feeling daunted by the prospect of playing Revelation matchmaker...For one thing, how many Hoshido*Nohr romances would be a realistic number. BESIDES zero.)

I suppose I'm in the minority for refusing to utilize the avatar as an extension of myself, but again, I see myself as the producer, not the lead actor.

Edited by SkyknightXi

I know I felt that the Stahl*Nowi S-rank felt out-of-place, juxtaposed with the C-A set--and that's probably one of MANY such in Awakening. Probably a side-effect of having to make the A-ranks work in both strictly platonic and at-least-partially-romantic fashions.

Mayhaps it's time for IS to jettison the children conceit, at least with regard to the wide range in Awakening and Fates. Because that seems to be the primary motive behind the wide-range S-rank capability.

EDIT:

Now that I think of it, a better idea would have been to preclude Corrin S-ranks with BOTH Hoshido and Nohr royalty. Being raised among non-blood siblings will still prime one to avoid considering them for romantic relations; that's generally how the developing mind works, a side effect of built-in anti-incest failsafes. Those who still want one of the royals for their waifu/hasubando should be able to settle for using the non-avatar unit they identify most strongly with. (I know I'm feeling daunted by the prospect of playing Revelation matchmaker...For one thing, how many Hoshido*Nohr romances would be a realistic number. BESIDES zero.)

I suppose I'm in the minority for refusing to utilize the avatar as an extension of myself, but again, I see myself as the producer, not the lead actor.

They could at least take a break from children-it doesn't have to be in every single FE and the implementation of children is just super-contrived this time. At least Lucina's thing is somewhat relevant to the overall awakening plot, and FE4 had an entire proper timeskip. Time chambers just make deadbeats out of the entire army.

The pairing optimizer in my sig is there to help out making hard pairing decisions! I wrote it as a weekend project because I like code a lot

I'm going to just use kamui as a resource anyway because I care about characters I actually like doing well

Edited by Thor Odinson

I like Kaden as a name much more now. Before I was just kinda eh about it.

Was I the only one to have immediate Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time flashbacks?

Yes?

... Okay.

Yes you were, mine flashback was Majora's Mask