Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

Yes, but you didn't address Alph. I'm not seeing how anyone would wish that on anything. Did you even remember Alph was *technically* on the roster? This is an actual question because I didn't. Not to mention that Marth and Lucina both would have lost 4 colors each. That's really poor treatment.

No, I didn't, but that's because I don't play Pikmin and am not really interested in it. If I was, I'd remember, no doubt about it. I never forget that the Koopalings are Bowser Jr. alts. And like I said, I think being alts is better than not being playable at all. I still didn't get my Daisy alt for Peach, she's still just a stupid palette while the Koopalings got their own models! THAT is poor treatment right there.

But we're getting off topic here, so can't you just accept that some people think differently from you and stop shoving your opinions around like they're fact? I'm not criticizing you for hating Ike and loving Lucina. And I bet you wouldn't like it if I went in your face saying "Ike is perfection!"

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great, another thread that gets derailed to talk about Smash Bros. And a topic that has already been beaten to death ("I hate clones!")

Let's get this back on topic. I don't honestly mind the current direction the series has regarding how Supports work. I like playing matchmaker so I like having all those options, even if some aren't particularly well-written.

The only, I guess, unpopular opinions I have is A) I want light magic back, and B) I really want the return of a limited support pool for characters. That would definitely improve support quality so we don't get a bunch of supports about pies or sexual harassment (hopefully).

I think she's voicing Ryouma's girlfriend

one of the better voices in the localization, even

Are you talking about Rinkah since you ship her with him? I wouldn't word it like that if I were you. Some people might ship Ryoma with someone else... xP

Basically most of the negative opinions regarding the new games and their waifus and stuff (though I don't go attacking people about it). I don't mind the changes to the gameplay formula, I'm mostly just disappointed in the setting/premise/fan service/terrible story and writing.

I also think Fates should have been a spin-off and not been called FE (or at least, been marketed as a spin-off).

I also think FE7 has a good story.

I think Chrom isn't that great a main character.

I think FE4 is intolerable.

I think the worst part about Fire Emblem now is the fanbase, not the games. Basically two extremes constantly clashing with each other and being toxic and a bunch of lurkers/people who keep to themselves who look on from the sidelines (me). I think the fanbase deal might be fixable but probably not because people on the internet are stubborn, bad at interacting with people, and sensitive. See: I'll have probably offended someone with this, with some backlash response, maybe saying that I am a part or even the center of the problem, lol. That kind of "I need to go to war with everyone" attitude is in a lot of people, the controversies over the recent games are just catalysts for that, IMO.

I think using the cop-out "it's optional" to avoid responding to/accepting critique is the worst thing anyone can do and makes themselves look like a complete moron. Mostly in regards to new-FE when people tell others "it's optional" so things like the waifuservice etc. have no effect on one's experience or the game and therefore are not valid things to criticize/complain about. It's such a bad argument I basically lose all my faith in humanity when people say that.

Naturally, these are all unpopular opinions for a reason. I don't expect anyone to agree with them or be happy to hear them, and I'm not interested in hearing you argue/fight over them, but if you have no self-control and decide to anyway, just know that I probably won't respond. I'm pretty much just dumping them here because it felt appropriate given the topic title. I'm well-aware of the counterarguments for each and I expect that anyone who feels the need to argue them is already too decided to be convinced otherwise anyway, lol.

Are you talking about Rinkah since you ship her with him? I wouldn't word it like that if I were you. Some people might ship Ryoma with someone else... xP

It's not Rinka

Someone more cutscene/story-dialogue based than Rinka, who's more support-based. I wouldn't out and call Rinka that normally but people more in the know about FEfates plot knows who I'm talking about.

The only, I guess, unpopular opinions I have is A) I want light magic back, and B) I really want the return of a limited support pool for characters. That would definitely improve support quality so we don't get a bunch of supports about pies or sexual harassment (hopefully).

I like limited supports too -- I think characters should get a reasonably sizable pool, but cull out those they have neither a reason they must talk nor any chemistry based on personality with. Also give more non-romantic options between characters of compatible sexualities--just because someone's a guy and someone else is a girl doesn't mean they have to marry--a lot of supports have excellent C-As that deal with very interesting issues, but they aren't romantic whatsoever--and that's okay! I like supports like that--but then the S comes at the end and it's like, well that doesn't really work

It's not Rinka

Someone more cutscene/story-dialogue based than Rinka, who's more support-based. I wouldn't out and call Rinka that normally but people more in the know about FEfates plot knows who I'm talking about.

Oh. Well then, we'll leave it at that since I'm avoiding story spoilers and the like.

No more Avatarsexual characters, please. They end up feeling like such nonentities compared to mid to late joiners in past FE games.

It's not Rinka

I like limited supports too -- I think characters should get a reasonably sizable pool, but cull out those they have neither a reason they must talk nor any chemistry based on personality with. Also give more non-romantic options between characters of compatible sexualities--just because someone's a guy and someone else is a girl doesn't mean they have to marry--a lot of supports have excellent C-As that deal with very interesting issues, but they aren't romantic whatsoever--and that's okay! I like supports like that--but then the S comes at the end and it's like, well that doesn't really work

Personally I also think there should be paired endings between members of the opposite sex that are not romantic. Like, just because two people are straight and are close doesn't mean they want to bang each other. Video game writers should remember that platonic relationships between two people of compatible sexuality exist.

Also there should be more playable old people. I also hate how kids have phased out most lategame prepromotes and how nearly everyone in modern FE is a growth unit.

Edited by Dark Sage

I think Roy's growths are fine as they are. He could have been entirely serviceable with nothing changed but his promo time.

Alternately, they could have allowed a higher level cap before promotion. Maybe, for argument's sake, set Lord's Level Cap as Level 30, and Master Lord at 10.

PS Wow, didn't think this discussion would become popular! Let's keep it up, people, haha. :D:

Edited by henrymidfields

Four chapters before the end isn't all that uncommon in Fire Emblem truth be told. It's about the same time the main lord of FE7, FE8 and Micaiah promote too (give or take a chapter/gaiden). The thing that makes it more egregious in Roy's case is that he's the only lord and I think his game does expect more growth with your units (oh and it also means you get to use him only for the last chapter if you do things wrong). It also seems like they're trolling by giving you a 20/20 unit the same chapter your lord promotes -_- All in all I think if he actually promoted at the end of Chapter 21 instead of Chapter 21X it would make a significant difference. Of course I'd still like a promoted lord for around ten chapters like Leif and Ike but narratively I think it's fitting for Roy to promote there. It just seems like you're wasting my time when you go get Apocalypse first and the Sword of Seals is apparently just sitting there.

Edited by Jotari

Came up with one more

I don't think most pre-Awakening characters are any less shallow, one-dimensional or gimmicky than Awakening characters. But Awakening is more in-your-face about that due to the number of supports.

I think the worst part about Fire Emblem now is the fanbase, not the games. Basically two extremes constantly clashing with each other and being toxic and a bunch of lurkers/people who keep to themselves who look on from the sidelines (me). I think the fanbase deal might be fixable but probably not because people on the internet are stubborn, bad at interacting with people, and sensitive. See: I'll have probably offended someone with this, with some backlash response, maybe saying that I am a part or even the center of the problem, lol. That kind of "I need to go to war with everyone" attitude is in a lot of people, the controversies over the recent games are just catalysts for that, IMO.

Also this, though this is more an unpopular opinion about humanity in general

Oh hey, you too? This is the exactly why the Black Knight was, for the longest time, my least favorite character of all the FE games that I'd played. And then came Kamui …

Surely neither of them are as bad as FE12!Avatar (I forget his name)? But I haven't played Fates, so...

Surely neither of them are as bad as FE12!Avatar (I forget his name)? But I haven't played Fates, so...

Well, the thing is that no one really expected much from Chris. The black knight on the other hand was very iconic and the games hyped him up a great deal. Its more disappointing if such a character falls flat at the last moment because you actually cared.

I sadly, seem to have missed the whole conversation about the black knight but I would consider myself one who lost respect for the character. I have a hard time seeing how killing someone just to see whether you could or not is anything other then murder. I don't really buy that it was accidental either because nothing in the black Knight indication he regretted anything other then the ease of it.

Whenever I hear Laura Bailey as Lucina, I immediately think of Shin Chan, worth it. I don't really think I have any unpopular opinions, I don't really think there's anything that would be wildly out of line. There's also the fact that anything I like becomes popular, good work sheep.

I don't see the grounds to be impressed about Fates having same-sex couples. None of the pairable characters who can marry another man or woman are actually homosexual (especially not Soleil) as opposed to swinging for Kamui. The same-sex pairings are only there due to man-on-man and woman-on-woman both being noticeable sexual fantasies among heterosexual men and women (look up ''Fujoshi''). Japanese game devs at large don't care about being ''inclusive'' as Americans call it beyond dealing with localizations.

Also, Micaiah should have never been upstaged by Ike.

Edited by Alazen

Also, Micaiah should have never been upstaged by Ike.

I wish people would not blame Ike for Micaiah's upstaging, because I believe it was actually Yune that did this, Ike only added fuel to the fire. But I AM also disappointed that Micaiah's spotlight was thrown aside regardless.

In fact, saying Yune was the one that stole the spotlight and not Ike seems to be another unpopular statement/opinion for me since I hardly ever see anyone else say it was Yune.

Edited by Anacybele

I consider Yune!Micaiah and Micaiah herself to be part of the same character, so I don't mind if Yune is the one talking in certain scenes. For the most part, it's fitting.

Ike really feels like an afterthought in FE10.

Let me see if I can make my earlier statement clearer. I realize I should have phrased it better.

I believe Lucina is better than Marth as a character and as a representative to Fire Emblem seeing how Marth's games didn't come out in the west until the DS re-releases that almost marked the end of the series. Meanwhile Lucina's game WAS released in the west and is responsible for keeping the series alive. As such I believe she merits the spot more than Marth does.

Also, a lot of people claim Lucina should go and Marth should stay and resort to saying a bunch of negative things about Lucina, spamming hate topics, and the like. In my opinion the only reason this is even happening is because Marth came out first. This seems further bolstered by the demand to have Roy back despite how he was a clone in Smash and likely would be a clone in Smash 4 if he did come back (which is exactly what happened). If Lucina had been on the roster and Marth added in later as a 'Lucina clone' people would be saying he should be removed instead.