Things that probably need to be said.

ZemZem

I have never had a greater displeasure in being part of an online community than I have with being involved in Serenes Forest. At least nowadays.

Now you might be thinking, "Oh shit, ZM's talking, this can't be good", but hear me out on this one. I believe I'm right. Now, the first component of my displeasure is the sheer amount of negativity and assholish attitudes that run rampant across the forum, notably in Far From the Forest. FFtF is the most active area of the forum (aside from the FE14 board, but that'll die out in activity once the Fates hype dies down soon enough), and well, here's where most of the more active members hang out. From what I've seen of topics that have been posted lately, and actually for quite a while now, people have been utmost dicks to each other. Downright cruel in things they have said. And what astounds me most is the fact that these people can get away with the shit they say. How can they get away with this? Isn't that kind of behavior what you DON'T want in a forum? Wouldn't that drive people away? Pretty damn sure it does.

The next issue I have relates to those members who can get away with being pricks to others. And that is mod bias. I've seen the posting histories of these certain members, and all they do is lurk around FFtF and make jabs at other members they deem worth laughing at. And what do some of the mods do? They don't do anything about them. Fuck, they might even join in and laugh at the member who made a complete and utter idiot out of himself. Again, is that truly a good way to present a forum? The fuck it is.

Do you all remember CrashGordon? I still keep in touch with him today. He's a really nice guy. Hot-tempered, but still nice to be around. I still don't approve of the way he was banned from the forum. Yeah, he started flame wars and even insulted people, but he was egged on by other members of the forum that took pleasure in watching him make a fool of himself. And yet he was the only one who received punishment while those who escalated the situation got off scot-free and took pride in getting the poor dude in trouble. It's pretty awful seeing people get away with even worse behavior than the kind he presented.

Like I said, the forum wasn't like this before. And personally, I don't want to see all this negativity anymore. And I know many others don't either.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, buddy. It's kinda messed up how things are. The mod bias and their behavior sometimes really makes it hard to even wanna use the forums... I personally have barely even, if at all, logged on this past year.

Do you all remember CrashGordon? I still keep in touch with him today. He's a really nice guy. Hot-tempered, but still nice to be around. I still don't approve of the way he was banned from the forum. Yeah, he started flame wars and even insulted people, but he was egged on by other members of the forum that took pleasure in watching him make a fool of himself. And yet he was the only one who received punishment while those who escalated the situation got off scot-free and took pride in getting the poor dude in trouble. It's pretty awful seeing people get away with even worse behavior than the kind he presented.

You know he thought (past-tense! From what I'm told, he's improved) that trans people were literally subhuman, right?

I agree, buddy. It's kinda messed up how things are. The mod bias and their behavior sometimes really makes it hard to even wanna use the forums... I personally have barely even, if at all, logged on this past year.

Thanks for backing me up, man.

You know he thought (past-tense! From what I'm told, he's improved) that trans people were literally subhuman, right?

I was not aware of that (I probably was, but I may have forgot?), and that is a really toxic mindset that he used to have. Still, I personally don't think he himself was completely to blame for all those incidents.

um, is this bait

bait for who

Edited by Zeems

I was not aware of that (I probably was, but I may have forgot?), and that is a really toxic mindset that he used to have. Still, I personally don't think he himself was completely to blame for all those incidents.

So you're saying the victims are partially responsible for bigotry?

So you're saying the victims are partially responsible for bigotry?

By victims do you mean the members who fought with him and egged him on, which soon resulted in his ban?

I hope I'm not remembering wrong, but I don't think the people who always humiliated him are 'victims'. A 'victim' that I would note is Fre, who was unnecessarily called a bitch by him when all she did, IIRC, was try to ease the situation down and refute Crash's points that day calmly. She's someone that didn't deserve that kind of treatment at all.

. . .I have no idea what to make of this topic. If you have an issue with the mod team, please PM Tangerine.

Otherwise, I suggest a break from SF. No one's forcing you to come here, and making a long drama thread about it isn't going to make things better.

. . .I have no idea what to make of this topic. If you have an issue with the mod team, please PM Tangerine.

Otherwise, I suggest a break from SF. No one's forcing you to come here, and making a long drama thread about it isn't going to make things better.

Clipsey, I have no problems with you at all. You've helped me a lot and I appreciate it a lot (not to mention you're already an amazing part of the staff), but the mannerisms of others (I mean certain SF members) are getting to the point in which things are out of hand.

Edited by Zeems

By victims do you mean the members who fought with him and egged him on, which soon resulted in his ban?

I hope I'm not remembering wrong, but I don't think the people who always humiliated him are 'victims'. A 'victim' that I would note is Fre

And also the people I'm alluding to, so I assume you took a different meaning from my statement than was intended.

Still, you blame others for his ban? Give me some examples.

And also the people I'm alluding to, so I assume you took a different meaning from my statement than was intended.

Still, you blame others for his ban? Give me some examples.

My apologies.

I'm not blaming them for his ban, my point is that their hostile behavior toward him did nothing but escalate the situation. And it seems as though they got away with it.

Clipsey, I have no problems with you at all. You've helped me a lot and I appreciate it a lot (not to mention you're already an amazing part of the staff), but the mannerisms of others (I mean certain SF members) are getting to the point in which things are out of hand.

The general chain is members -> mods -> admin, with Tangerine being the mod's "boss". Thus, if you have problems with the members, message the mods, and if the problem's not resolved, message Tangerine.

I know what you're trying to say, which is why this topic hasn't been closed outright. However, I think it should've been handled via PM, as opposed to a public topic. Airing this in public isn't going to change much for the better.

I'd argue that Crash would have been one of those "dickish personalities" you were talking about. Crash got banned because he took it too far, and he had only his inability to drop things to blame for it.

I don't claim to be the nicest person and I will call out someone when I think they are being stupid but the most I've seen is sarcastic ribbing rather than full on hate-boner.

As it turns out, giving folks a forum described as follows -

Spam, double-posting, and necroposting rules do not apply here. Have at it.

- is a pretty poor idea. By nature it's very inviting to spammers, but I'm not sure if the mods enforce the other rules either.

But then again, is "Far from the Forest" considered part of SF?

but I'm not sure if the mods enforce the other rules either.

we do, but here's the thing

more than once i've warned somebody for going over the line here to have both that person and the person they were insulting get mad at me for not "getting" their in-joke, so half the time i don't do shit unless the target reports it

fuck if i can recognize all these fftf kids who post almost identically

Aye, but that's the ruse - they say it's a joke to weasel out. As a mod, your job will be far more effective with overkill than underkill. You should still give then warning points or something.

Edited by Zera

yeah sure mate it's easy to say "just stay motivated when people abuse you for doing your job"

and you know me, i always go for overkill rather than underkill, it just gets tiring as heck and one starts to just decide by default that it's a joke, you dig?