Things that probably need to be said.

ZemZem

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I made a typo and now it's in your quotes for eternity.

quickly, integrity, edit it in every single post

oblig

There is no such thing as "mod bias" on these forums. The only bias I see is confirmation bias, with a mix of misinformation spread by bad members. I can almost guarantee your problems aren't with the staff, but with people who like to make our staff the subject of discussion. Regardless.

Bad Behaviour:

We get like 3000 posts per day on average across 40+ different forum sections. If you do not report the instances of rule breaking (or even mod abuse, if you're actually seeing that), how are any of us supposed to respond to it? We're not going to catch everything ourselves, use of the report system is necessary. It doesn't matter how many staff members a forum has; when you're dealing with that number of posts on a daily basis, it's not possible to catch every offensive post by browsing. Flat out, if you don't use the report system, your complaints about inaction will never be taken seriously. "I see all of this stuff not being dealt with! I also see the report button under every post, but I don't press it!". I greatly appreciate the members that use the report system, because they're the members who care enough to alert us when they feel intervention is necessary. That's how our newest mod, Ghast, even made himself known to me: by reporting a lot of bad content in the sections he now moderates.

Of course, reporting a post doesn't mean we're going to do something about it. We don't warn someone simply because they were reported, we observe the situation and determine whether or not moderator intervention is even necessary. We're not here to break up every argument or mudslinging contest that starts, we're here to intervene if it goes too far or becomes disruptive. The community manages itself, the forum staff is a fail-safe, and that's the moderation style I firmly believe in (well, more complicated than that obviously, but I'm not going to get into a 5 hour long discussion about the intricacies of forum moderation...yawned saying that). The rest is janitorial work - ensuring that the technical rules of the forum are met for ease of browsing (large sig images, spam in our discussion forums).

Mods:

I assure you that I look into EVERY instance of mod abuse reported to me, and reprimand + reverse their actions if I find the complaint to be fair (ask Integrity). Unfortunately, this is never the story that gets told, because it's much more dramatic to tell tales about the time you got warned unfairly than the time you got warned unfairly and we worked with you to correct it. That part of the story always seems to get left out. My advice: take any complaints along these lines with a grain of salt. If someone has been warned and they feel it was unfair, but have not contacted anyone who can actually do something about it, then their complaints are not worth taking seriously and they most likely have an agenda or are lying about the circumstances surrounding their warn.

Users who want to be unhappy with something we've done will say anything to get listeners on their side.

Crash:

Come on, were you even -here- when that was happening? I'm getting really tired of this subject popping up lol.

ANYONE who was actually here at the time knows how much flak I got from the community because I was being lenient with him. I spent hours in PM with him trying to get his problems sorted out because I knew he didn't want to get banned and I was sympathetic - that's far above and beyond the duty of a moderator (which I was at the time, that's how long ago and how irrelevant this example is). The mistake that was made with Crash wasn't that we were too strict, it was believing that his problems could be solved by anything other than time and introspection. I took 100% responsibility for anyone he hurt or offended past his initial anti-trans blow up because I was the reason he didn't get banned sooner; I sent the trans members I knew of who were involved personal apologies a long time ago - for not handling the situation properly (hint: because I was too lenient). And yes, once it was clear that I wasn't going to immediately ban him, members did try to egg him on to make him do something worse; they did not get off "scot-free", but they were obviously not going to receive punishment equal to the guy spouting hate speech.

For anyone reading this, with no offense intended to the OP, this is absolutely the perfect example of why you should not believe anyone who has a story to tell you about subjects like this. The story gets warped and twisted based on each individual's agenda or memory of the event. A situation where, at the time, it was widely agreed upon that we were too lenient, is now being retold as a situation where we were too strict and unfairly banned someone. No source of information regarding our staff is reliable unless they are actually a member of the staff.

There are people in any community with ridiculous and unreasonable aversion to anyone who has a significant amount of authority in said community, don't believe anything you didn't hear from a real source. And no, the angry guy who got warned is not a real source.

obligatory "owned tbh"

if you're having this terrible a time here, it might say you want a break. there's little reason to stay if it sits with you so poorly, you know?

otherwise, if you've been having particular issue with what the mods are doing, I hope you've been taking action and making a point to contact someone on the staff about it when you see things you think are a problem

is this true?

A break is probably a good idea for me. :v

A break is probably a good idea for me. :v

It's kind of you to volunteer your own punishment for such an affront to your rulers, so we'll only take one.

Choose a limb and we'll get Bal on it. As a physics professor he should be the most able among us to make sure it's clean.

Edited by Tangerine

It's kind of you to volunteer your own punishment for such an affront to your rulers, so we'll only take one.

Choose a limb and we'll get Bal on it. As a physics professor he should be the most able among us to make sure it's clean.

Alright, I guess we'll just wait for Bal. ><