Keeping Chrom alive

jdb1984

I've been doing the "Before Awakening" DLC a few times. The problem is that it seems Chrom has some kind of death wish. And since he's an ally, I can't simply pair up with him.

It's true that I didn't take my strongest into the battle, but I did take them for specific reasons.

Corrin and Kaze to team up and get A rank, Rinkah to hopefully get some friendship with Kaze, Mozu to get EXP, and Felicia to level up and get the "Live to Serve" ability before I reclass her.

It doesn't help that the ninjas can position themselves and pass Chrom around if he's anywhere near them.

So should I just take stronger soldiers, or can I win and keep the three allies alive?

You got to basically clear the map before Chrom moves up too far, and protect him when the forts in the back spawn enemies, Fredrick only does so much, and he hilariously nerfs himself with constant silver lance usage.

Sounds like you're on Birthright/Revelation. You could be grinding via challenge battles rather than on DLC maps.

What I'd like to do is send in a pair of units in Guard stance, with the lead unit using a weapon with 1-2 range and strong enough to tank hits even while debuffed. Let that pair be ping-ponged around by the Lunge ninjas before wreaking havoc. Have the other units prioritize on camping the forts and of course, keeping the 3 Shepherds out of harm's way.

You got to basically clear the map before Chrom moves up too far, and protect him when the forts in the back spawn enemies, Fredrick only does so much, and he hilariously nerfs himself with constant silver lance usage.

Doesn't help at all that Fredrick only has a Silver Lance for his weapon of choice although he can possibly OTKO any unit save the boss even with -2 to Str/Skl from the Silver Lance's debuff effect as the ally NPCs stats also scale up depending on how far in the story you are. I've seen Chrom and Lissa get defeated when I'm unable to get a unit over there to help them but I've never seen Fredrick get defeated (mostly because of his very high HP/Def stats). Is it possible to heal the ally NPCs or is that not possible considering I couldn't heal any of the ally NPCs in Soleil's Paralogue (even with my Elise who had her Fortify range able to heal one of the two soldiers nearby).

Edited by Emblem Blade

If you are in the earlier game, try weakening people each turn so that way they'll have low hp, and Chrom will attack those ones instead of everything else. Rush towards the lunging ninjas while 1 or 2 units keep Chrom distracted. Lissa can keep you healed, so it's not a huge deal in terms of having a healer.

I tried this map several times, and it's pretty much always the Lunge ninjas (which are also packing Poison Strike heat) that ruin everything. And if it ain't them it's the stinking Seal Defence spear fighters that screw me over. Maybe I'll give them a taste of their own medicine once I get Camilla...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I tried this map several times, and it's pretty much always the Lunge ninjas (which are also packing Poison Strike heat) that ruin everything. And if it ain't them it's the stinking Seal Defence spear fighters that screw me over. Maybe I'll give them a taste of their own medicine once I get Camilla...

If you can get a unit to have Shurikenbreaker (reduces pressure from those pesky Ninjas as the debuffs only work if the attack hits) then the only fear factor of those Ninjas is Poison Strike. Thankfully they don't have Saizo's personal skill or RIP characters if you fail to KO a weakened Ninja.

Doesn't help at all that Fredrick only has a Silver Lance for his weapon of choice although he can possibly OTKO any unit save the boss even with -2 to Str/Skl from the Silver Lance's debuff effect as the ally NPCs stats also scale up depending on how far in the story you are. I've seen Chrom and Lissa get defeated when I'm unable to get a unit over there to help them but I've never seen Fredrick get defeated (mostly because of his very high HP/Def stats). Is it possible to heal the ally NPCs or is that not possible considering I couldn't heal any of the ally NPCs in Soleil's Paralogue (even with my Elise who had her Fortify range able to heal one of the two soldiers nearby).

You can heal allied units/npc's in this DLC, if I remember correctly.

Huh, I didn't have any trouble at all with this DLC. In fact, I could've just sat by and let Frederick do all the work, he could take out every unit and none of them could do damage to him. Chrom dodged a lot and Lissa mostly stayed out of attack range. She did get targeted once, but she dodged. Maybe I got lucky or maybe it's because I was on normal mode. I still had my guys battle for exp though. And my team was fairly strong at this point.

But yeah, NPC units who aren't enemies can heal and be healed by the player. Lissa healed one of my units, so that's how I know.

Oh yeah, anyone doing this DLC though, USE JAKOB AND HAVE HIM TALK TO FREDERICK. I swear that conversation is absolutely PERFECT! It shows a side of both of them that we don't normally see!

Jakob and Frederick start off kind of insulting each other, then they start getting competitive about their caretaking abilities, then Jakob likes Frederick's ideas, and they become friendly! You just NEVER see either of these two make friends with someone so fast, but we saw their friendly sides here! That's why this was so good!

Edited by Anacybele

Huh, I didn't have any trouble at all with this DLC. In fact, I could've just sat by and let Frederick do all the work, he could take out every unit and none of them could do damage to him. Chrom dodged a lot and Lissa mostly stayed out of attack range. She did get targeted once, but she dodged. Maybe I got lucky or maybe it's because I was on normal mode. I still had my guys battle for exp though. And my team was fairly strong at this point.

But yeah, NPC units who aren't enemies can heal and be healed by the player. Lissa healed one of my units, so that's how I know.

Oh yeah, anyone doing this DLC though, USE JAKOB AND HAVE HIM TALK TO FREDERICK. I swear that conversation is absolutely PERFECT! It shows a side of both of them that we don't normally see!

Jakob and Frederick start off kind of insulting each other, then they start getting competitive about their caretaking abilities, then Jakob likes Frederick's ideas, and they become friendly! You just NEVER see either of these two make friends with someone so fast, but we saw their friendly sides here! That's why this was so good!

The conversation of JakobxFrederick is just the icing on the cake. If you don't let the latter head off to start impaling enemies before you can start the conversation.

Edited by Emblem Blade

Does this DLC scale to difficulty? Because I was on Lunatic postgame, my team has no trouble with the enemies, but one EP later Chrom just dies and there's jack shit I could do about it. He was at full health.

So I went full replicate and beat it with more offense. 5 deploy? Nah, 10.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Does this DLC scale to difficulty? Because I was on Lunatic postgame, my team has no trouble with the enemies, but one EP later Chrom just dies and there's jack shit I could do about it. He was at full health.

So I went full replicate and beat it with more offense. 5 deploy? Nah, 10.

It's not your team, it's the ally NPCs being outnumbered by the enemy and only Frederick that is capable of doing anything by himself and surviving. Yes, if you go chapter-by-chapter doing DLC, you'll notice that in some chapters the enemies scale in power as you progress. Boo Camp, Ghostly Gold and Museum Melee all have enemies scaling to match your progress in the story.

It's not your team, it's the ally NPCs being outnumbered by the enemy and only Frederick that is capable of doing anything by himself and surviving. Yes, if you go chapter-by-chapter doing DLC, you'll notice that in some chapters the enemies scale in power as you progress. Boo Camp, Ghostly Gold and Museum Melee all have enemies scaling to match your progress in the story.

That's not what I was asking. I was wondering if the Lunatic level at endgame is different than Normal level at endgame--if Ana claims Chrom has no trouble suriving for her, but OP has issues with him early and I have issues with him late, then what is Chrom actually doing? Did Ana get all the really good Chrom dodge rolls? Because I sure as hell didn't.

Or is midgame just the easiest like FE usually is

Ana around when do you run your Chrom DLC

Edited by Thor Odinson

Sounds like you're pretty early in Birthright right now? Once you play the map a decent amount of time, you know which turns the reinforcements spawn which is SUPER helpful.

Basically, I would try to see if you can have your Corrin + Kaze or Corrin + Felicia rush with a 1-2 range weapon (the Kodachi is available at this time?). Bring your strongest units too. Sitting on the forts will prevent reinforcements if I recall correctly, which helps with ninjas trying to sneak up on Chrom and Lissa. There are only two ninjas with LUNGE, so just watch the danger zones, and get them on the player phase. You can't really prevent Frederick trying to suicide into the boss (which will sometimes happen if you're unlucky) unless you play quick enough.

Probably not the most practical strategy, but I beat this DLC with femCorrin + Jakob support and Azura dancing after Chapter 7 and some luck on Lunatic.

I'm going to check if there are differences in difficulty. Give me a few minutes and I'll compare stats + skills.

EDIT: I compared my Lunatic/Classic Conquest file and downgraded to Normal/Classic. They don't have skills on Normal. Stats are also lower in Normal as well. So dealing with the annoying Lunge!Ninjas and Vantage!SMs aren't a thing in Normal. Checking Hard, out of curiosity.

EDIT 2: So no skills on Normal. One skill on Hard. Two skills on Lunatic.

Edited by Iris

That's not what I was asking. I was wondering if the Lunatic level at endgame is different than Normal level at endgame--if Ana claims Chrom has no trouble suriving for her, but OP has issues with him early and I have issues with him late, then what is Chrom actually doing? Did Ana get all the really good Chrom dodge rolls? Because I sure as hell didn't.

Or is midgame just the easiest like FE usually is

Ana around when do you run your Chrom DLC

I'm not seeing any difference by the difficulty chosen in my files, just changes depending on how far in the story you are. I have my re-attempt Lunatic/Classic CQ and my Hard/Casual Revelations and both are at Chapter 21 and I'm seeing no real differences by difficulty at all (although CQ is making me rage atm due to my inability to keep Chrom from rushing to his death).

I'm not seeing any difference by the difficulty chosen in my files, just changes depending on how far in the story you are. I have my re-attempt Lunatic/Classic CQ and my Hard/Casual Revelations and both are at Chapter 21 and I'm seeing no real differences by difficulty at all (although CQ is making me rage atm due to my inability to keep Chrom from rushing to his death).

I beg to differ, I just checked between Lunatic + Hard + Normal modes for one file, and downgrading difficulty each time reduced enemy stats and (amount of) skills.

I beg to differ, I just checked between Lunatic + Hard + Normal modes for one file, and downgrading difficulty each time reduced enemy stats and (amount of) skills.

Maybe I'm not seeing any differences since my units are just too strong then seeing that I'm not placing restrictions on myself even on Lunatic.

Wait, did that actually happen? If it did, then damn, IS really put more thought in this than I expected.

Looks like IS possibly put in the ripple effect theory into the game if something like that has happened to someone. If Odin and Ophelia weren't defeateed/killed but they disappeared once Lissa was defeated/killed, then it looks like IS stepped up on how reality would bend in if something bad happened and it set of a chain of events.

Edited by Emblem Blade

Maybe I'm not seeing any differences since my units are just too strong then seeing that I'm not placing restrictions on myself even on Lunatic.

Looks like IS possibly put in the ripple effect theory into the game if something like that has happened to someone. If Odin and Ophelia weren't defeateed/killed but they disappeared once Lissa was defeated/killed, then it looks like IS stepped up on how reality would bend in if something bad happened and it set of a chain of events.

This probably wouldn't happen, considering

Odin/Owain was taken from an alternate universe than the one we played in Awakening. The party in Before Awakening is probably meant to be the ones from the timeline people DID play through in the game.

This probably wouldn't happen, considering

Odin/Owain was taken from an alternate universe than the one we played in Awakening. The party in Before Awakening is probably meant to be the ones from the timeline people DID play through in the game.

Then how would Lissa's death (the one from the original timeline) cause Odin (alternate universe) and his daughter Ophelia to disappear if they weren't defeated/killed?

Edited by Emblem Blade