BrightBow

From my limited experience, I think a stage where you can fly around endlessly with the vehicle(s) of your choice would've been perfect. It would help me to get accustomed to the controls, and the moving screen.

I should redo Corneria, just so I don't have as many problems navigating and whatnot.

What are the training stages like then, I haven't bothered with them yet, but just assumed they were like in the opening with a free all-range mode at the end like in 64

Like you said, the challenge is great, but Zero can be very scary for beginners.

For example, while it was interesting, I think that the drones attacking Pepper's tower was too much for the first stage. And almost every stage has timed events.

There should have been a easy mode.

Maybe it was the constant difficulty without allowing the player to get used to the controls that made the game get bad reviews.

Corneria and Sector Alpha should have been a lot less chaotic.

It's still a great game, but it's not beginner-friendly.

EDIT: I forgot to say this, but that picture made me wish I hadn't destroyed Falco's drone.

I genuinely think Venom A on Expert Mode was the hardest thing in 64, along with getting a medal on Sector Z.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the training stages like then, I haven't bothered with them yet, but just assumed they were like in the opening with a free all-range mode at the end like in 64

I genuinely think Venom A on Expert Mode was the hardest thing in 64, along with getting a medal on Sector Z.

I definitively agree with that.

Why Venom A is on the easy path again? It makes no sense.

But, like I said before, other than Venom A, Sector Z and perhaps Solar, most of 64's stages were easy or at least not incredibly hard.

There were stages like Asteroid Field, Sector X and Zoness which were quite simple and even relaxing.

Sure 64's Zoness had those searchlights, but other than that, it was a pretty simple stage.

Zero's stages on the other hand, are all very challenging in on way or another, the game gives no time to relax.

It's something that is both good and bad at the same time.

Edited by Water Mage

Only did one of 'em, and it had a five-minute time limit. . .whichever one the first one was.

Edited by eclipse

I got to play Zero a bit, up to Fortuna, I love pretty much every thing about the game, the controls were weird at first, but after adjusting they feel pretty natural.

Also I had some fun with the Black & Red Arwing, thanks to my Falco amiibo

I just did Sector Alpha again and had the feeling that the track that plays in the fight against the battleship core sounded suspiciously similar to the theme that plays during the core fights in Star Fox 2.

Sounds about right, I believe. Fitting not just because it's the same context but also because the design from that giant Battleship is taken from SF2 as well.

Zero's music is definitely great. And I love that they actually use the original Star Fox main theme in several tracks.

Edited by BrightBow

Ah, the music is great, my only issue is that Zoness doesn't have that awesome calming music.

It's even a stealth mission, so a calm music would fit.

Also, despite what some say, the graphics are pretty good.

Makes me wish Aquas and Solar were stages in Zero.

Can you guys imagine Aquas and Solar in HD?

Aquas would be utterly gorgeous and Solar would be awe-inspiring.

Gave the third stage a gander.

I'm now legit stuck on the second part.

After spit-roasting Pigma's ass.

Like, screw beam zebras.

Gave the third stage a gander.

I'm now legit stuck on the second part.

After spit-roasting Pigma's ass.

Like, screw beam zebras.

Don't even worry about those, just go into the underground and soon enough you'll have something that makes quick work of them.

May I ask how you managed it?

With a 3.5 mm audio cable you can plug the gamepad audio headset port into the mic port or inline port and output the audio into your laptop/computer or speaker. Then you can use the computer speaker to listen and output the sound from that specific audio port. Doing so you can capture all the audio from the gamepad. Just make sure to turn off mic enhancement settings if you are using the mic port instead of an inline port so it doesn't make really bad noise or echo sounds. With that you can capture the audio from the gamepad fully. This is the same way that most people are recording their Star Fox 0 footages and also when I recorded the Code Name Steam's Fire Emblem song mixes.

Also I finished my 3rd playthrough and the Attack Carrier in the 2nd phase is so much easier once you figure out that 3 bombs hits pretty much annihilates the dang thing racking in easy +10 hits.

With a 3.5 mm audio cable you can plug the gamepad audio headset port into the mic port or inline port and output the audio into your laptop/computer or speaker. Then you can use the computer speaker to listen and output the sound from that specific audio port. Doing so you can capture all the audio from the gamepad. Just make sure to turn off mic enhancement settings if you are using the mic port instead of an inline port so it doesn't make really bad noise or echo sounds. With that you can capture the audio from the gamepad fully. This is the same way that most people are recording their Star Fox 0 footages and also when I recorded the Code Name Steam's Fire Emblem song mixes.

Alright, hopefully I can get that all going well. Thanks.

Don't even worry about those, just go into the underground and soon enough you'll have something that makes quick work of them.

Can't find the entrance. That's the problem.

Can't find the entrance. That's the problem.

From the main tower there are two large doors at about 10 and 2 o'clock. Either one will get you there.

I suppose there is one big criticism that I do have to give the controls: The Walker has basically Tank controls. Pushing the left stick to the left or right will only make it turn, not actually move. It can only move sideways while holding the lock-on button. Which is a problem, as the way lock-on is used in the game means that there is often a giant target that you will always lock-on to regardless of where you are on the map and the Walker will always automatically turn towards the target, unlike the Arwing. So manoeuvring it is surprisingly difficult and it has trouble dodging any attack that does not originate from the lock-on target. That's such a damn shame as I loved the Walker in Star Fox 2. But in that game it didn't have such problems as pressing left or right would make you actually move sideways while the shoulder buttons allowed you to turn.

I don't get why they didn't have the Walker control the same way as the characters in Splaaton. Seems to me like the perfect way to handle that kind of third person shooting with motion controls.

Edited by BrightBow

I don't know if this has been discussed here, but I've heard that the sales for this game has been poor so far. Can anyone confirm this?

It did poorly in Japan but Star Fox Command also did poorly in Japan with its 27K on its first release with a much bigger installbase.

Internationally and total sales is around 250K on its first week. Which is pretty decent considering the niche nature of this series in this day and age.

About 150K of units were sold in the US on the first week which is about 59% of its units.

But of course these numbers are only Retail and doesn't count the digital sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/264234/star-fox-zero-sells-an-estimated-268k-first-week-at-retail/

Edited by kingddd

It did poorly in Japan but Star Fox Command also did poorly in Japan with its 27K on its first release with a much bigger installbase.

Internationally and total sales is around 250K on its first week. Which is pretty decent considering the niche nature of this series in this day and age.

About 150K of units were sold in the US on the first week which is about 59% of its units.

But of course these numbers are only Retail and doesn't count the digital sales.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/264234/star-fox-zero-sells-an-estimated-268k-first-week-at-retail/

So in other words despite not doing well in Japan it did decently everywhere else in the world and we can all stop panicking lol.

VGChartz is not a real source for sales numbers. We won't know how the game did in North America until the NPD numbers come out this month.

It's the most we can do at this point. Even then, most of the official numbers are never released unless it's a really popular selling game.

But citing VGChartz is worse than having nothing. They don't have any data and just created their numbers on how they expect the game to have sold. It's much better to simply say we don't know, rather than use fake data.

VGChartz says their sales data is an estimate. That doesn't count as fake data. What's the best source of sales data?

Edited by Zera

But citing VGChartz is worse than having nothing. They don't have any data and just created their numbers on how they expect the game to have sold. It's much better to simply say we don't know, rather than use fake data.

as much as I agree that VGChartz isn't reliable, what else can we use? The guy above Zhugeex only tweets what else is reported but even he doesn't have access to Nintendo's official numbers either. Most of what VGChartz does gather are also reported numbers but they don't have every single official numbers because tons of companies prefer not reveal them to not make them look bad. Heck everyone here still uses it to cite Fire Emblem sales numbers and even those aren't accurate either. So in the end, we can only speculate at this point. I never did say it is 100% but from what we can see it's the most we can say at this point. Speculation is better than nothing at all.

Edited by kingddd