Metroid 2 remake/Federation Force

Mikethfc

http://www.metroid-database.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5353&start=60#p209157

Its confirmed. But people do have the game, so not all is lost, its honestly surprising, usually if someone isn't making money off said license they don't care.

Probably worried about Fed Force selling, but lets be real, who was going to buy that anyways when Metroid Pinball looks more appealing as a game.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't Nintendo offer to sell an IP license before resorting to a C&D?

They could have if the developer had approach them before releasing it, this is how the mobile ports of the sonic games came to be. Personally despite its quality I don't know if Nintendo would've taken the pitch.

Anyways the links are now down, there will probably be files that will be floating somewhere around the Internet in the coming days but for now I hope that everyone that wanted it got it.

This is entirely expected and frankly by law Nintendo had no choice but to issue it, so if you see stuff like this remember to seize the day.

This is entirely expected and frankly by law Nintendo had no choice but to issue it, so if you see stuff like this remember to seize the day.

So what about all the other fanprojects people have done and released? Whats the difference here?

It shows they are ashamed of Federation Force, and don't want something outdoing it, more than it being "required".

Really unfortunate about this getting removed, but Nintendo has been well known for their sometimes insane levels of protection of their copyrights. See: PM getting threats from Nintendo, Nintendo almost preventing Melee being shown at EVO, etc. Something becoming this well known getting shut down shouldn't be a surprise, as much as I don't like to say that.

So what about all the other fanprojects people have done and released? Whats the difference here?

It shows they are ashamed of Federation Force, and don't want something outdoing it, more than it being "required".

Zelda Maker and that Super Mario 64 HD remake were both recent take downs. Super Mario 64 is on the VC (same with Metroid II), but I'm not entirely sure what the deal was with Zelda Maker...

Well I'm no law expert but from what I read, The difference here is that they directly remaking a game that Nintendo openly sells, i'm sure that Nintendo wouldn't of cared if it was entirely original game, but who knows it's Nintendo. Apparently if you don't if you take down to stuff like this you lose IP rights or something, If this quote from Nintendo prime is anything to go by "Its hard to get mad at or blame Nintendo in this case someone took a game that is still on sale today and remade it entirely, a massive copyright infringement that Nintendo is legally obligated to shut down or risk losing their IP rights." Edited by Locke087

Really unfortunate about this getting removed, but Nintendo has been well known for their sometimes insane levels of protection of their copyrights. See: PM getting threats from Nintendo, Nintendo almost preventing Melee being shown at EVO, etc. Something becoming this well known getting shut down shouldn't be a surprise, as much as I don't like to say that.

Both of those money changing hands, though. Usually Nintendo has stayed out of taking down non profit fangames IIRC, but uh I guess they're taking a new stance this time around.

Edited by Refa

Both of those money changing hands, though. Usually Nintendo has stayed out of taking down non profit fangames IIRC, but uh I guess they're taking a new stance this time around.

Well this is being billed as a remake of Metroid II in the vein of Zero Mission. I'm not really surprised it was shut down.

The one bright spot here is that the game was up for a few days. A game of this quality will recirculate through torrents for sure.

Zelda Maker and that Super Mario 64 HD remake were both recent take downs. Super Mario 64 is on the VC (same with Metroid II), but I'm not entirely sure what the deal was with Zelda Maker...

Yes, but there are many others still out there such as the millions of Mario & Luigi fangames that haven't been touched yet.

Well I'm no law expert but from what I read, The difference here is that they directly remaking a game that Nintendo openly sells, i'm sure that Nintendo wouldn't of cared if it was entirely original game, but who knows it's Nintendo. Apparently if you don't if you take down to stuff like this you lose IP rights or something, If this quote from Nintendo prime is anything to go by "Its hard to get mad at or blame Nintendo in this case someone took a game that is still on sale today and remade it entirely, a massive copyright infringement that Nintendo is legally obligated to shut down or risk losing their IP rights."

They are in their legal right yes, its just irritating they couldn't do what the people at Sega did and have those dedicated fans to their projects actually working on something now such as the great ports of Sonic CD and the like and now they are in charge of a new mainline 2D Sonic in Mania, or hell they could have approached the guy and were like "Hey it seems like the fanbase likes what you have here, what about we get a deal going?" its also just sad how much more care and time was put into a Fangame for Metroid than the actual product for Metroid coming out, for the 30th anniversary of a franchise that is still a genre definer, it seems like blatant disrespect at this point, and I will admit my reaction was more emotional than logical.

Yes, but there are many others still out there such as the millions of Mario & Luigi fangames that haven't been touched yet.

From what I can tell, games put onto fansites where a collective of games are posted (rather than a site dedicated to the single fangame) have remained untouched.

DoctorM64 just released an updated version of AM2R on his message boards (not his blogspot, though it has a link to said boards) that supposedly fixed the Gravity Suit display bug that some people such as I were experiencing in the first full release (among other bugs found in 1.0).

Edited by BLS

DoctorM64 just released an updated version of AM2R on his message boards (not his blogspot, though it has a link to said boards) that supposedly fixed the Gravity Suit display bug that some people such as I were experiencing in the first full release (among other bugs found in 1.0).

Alright awesome, thanks for letting us know ^^

In general, things seem to be averaging out to 7/10; not bad, not great. It's expected, really.

I actually have interest in the game, to see for myself and maybe have a forum users' impressions up sometime.

EDIT: As for the removal of AM2R, it was a full-fledged remake of a game that Nintendo is selling on the VC. Not only is there the obvious business side of things, there's also upholding copyright; major examples were copyright seems to have been broken but nothing was done could be used against them in later instances (from Nintendo's own history: Universal Studios rep says King Kong is "in the public domain", nobody follows up on it, and then Nintendo wins the Donkey Kong lawsuit because of it).

Edited by The DanMan

So, apparently Samus got beaten up by space pirates and brainwashed by them, so she's the final boss.

whew, just when i think they couldn't shit on her enough.

i understand that literally no one cares about this, but there's probably someone who cares about this, so probably spoilers

I'm more surprised that

Sylux cameos in the end credits.

FF was just a side project that had been on the backburner for some time; what with what happens at the end of FF and comments from E3 2015, I'm thinking they have more up their sleeve.

So apparently, Federation Force can be played on an original 3DS, albeit without C-stick control unless you have a Circle Pad Pro. (But gyro aiming is an option.)

I could've sworn it was supposed to be a N3DS exclusive... now I actually have to think about whether I want to get it or not.

So apparently, Federation Force can be played on an original 3DS, albeit without C-stick control unless you have a Circle Pad Pro. (But gyro aiming is an option.)

I could've sworn it was supposed to be a N3DS exclusive... now I actually have to think about whether I want to get it or not.

Probably the last game that will support it, but glad it does- it was way too underutilized.

In general, things seem to be averaging out to 7/10; not bad, not great. It's expected, really.

I actually have interest in the game, to see for myself and maybe have a forum users' impressions up sometime.

I hope you enjoy it, because it just seems to miss the entire point of the franchise to me.

I hope you enjoy it, because it just seems to miss the entire point of the franchise to me.

Hence the term spin-off.

TMS#FE seems to miss the point of the franchise; it scored higher than this primarily because fewer people were familiar with the source material and judged it on it's own merits.

The upcoming Monster Hunter Stories has it's detractors, saying that controlling a cutesy chibi protagonist that's 15 years old max and riding the creatures that you've been killing up to that point misses the entire point of the franchise that it bears the name of.

Halo Wars was a completely different game style entirely from every other Halo game (it's an RTS in a series of FPSs), and many decried it as an outsider because of this.

It's a similar situation here; the problem is that Metroid's been through a drought, with a large, starved fanbase already at eachother's throats over the last installment. If there was a guarantee of something more mainline, people wouldn't be half as ticked.

I'm not completely sold on it, mind you, but it has my interest piqued. People who've gone into it and viewed it as it's own thing have found it be a pretty solid co-op shooter- not up everybody's alley, but something I may enjoy.

Hence the term spin-off.

TMS#FE seems to miss the point of the franchise; it scored higher than this primarily because fewer people were familiar with the source material and judged it on it's own merits.

The upcoming Monster Hunter Stories has it's detractors, saying that controlling a cutesy chibi protagonist that's 15 years old max and riding the creatures that you've been killing up to that point misses the entire point of the franchise that it bears the name of.

Halo Wars was a completely different game style entirely from every other Halo game (it's an RTS in a series of FPSs), and many decried it as an outsider because of this.

It's a similar situation here; the problem is that Metroid's been through a drought, with a large, starved fanbase already at eachother's throats over the last installment. If there was a guarantee of something more mainline, people wouldn't be half as ticked.

I'm not completely sold on it, mind you, but it has my interest piqued. People who've gone into it and viewed it as it's own thing have found it be a pretty solid co-op shooter- not up everybody's alley, but something I may enjoy.

Yeah, I'd be more for something like this if Metroid's last game wasn't Other M and we had actually had something for the past 6 years, maybe.

It's also a pretty crappy way to treat a franchise on its 30th anniversary.

Edited by Jedi

Yeah, I'd be more for something like this if Metroid's last game wasn't Other M and we had actually had something for the past 6 years, maybe.

It's also a pretty crappy way to treat a franchise on its 30th anniversary.

Nintendo's odd with it's franchises and it's history; for half of it's history of game development, there was no Super Smash Bros. . And yet it's one of the most universally "hype" games out there now, and has been for 15 years.

Kid Icarus was a game that many forgot, only to get a new game after two decades... and then have nothing on the horizon 5 years later.

F-Zero was very niche, and has all but faded away.

And then we have Metroid- used to be considered one of Nintendo's top franchises right up their with Mario, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda.

While on the other hand we have Fire Emblem's major breakout in the west making it "a main franchise for Nintendo", and Splatoon- an original IP -explode in popularity, and on the company's biggest hardware failure no less.

As a relatively younger gamer, I'm not really into "anniversaries" or such- my attachments to things aren't as personal, as I've only been gaming half my life. If this really is where Metroid exits scene left, it will be just a piece of gaming history that I recollect. To somebody as passionate as you, it would be much harder.

I'm not fully sure what I just typed, but I hope it sounded smart.